Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Have all the players stat up alternate universe versions of their characters. Be vague about how alternate. Occasionally, switch out their sheets as Paradox Demands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Whatever your warrior or fighter analog is:
The style, school, or discipline they learned was based on/passed on by a legendary ancient warrior, and it was actually your player the whole time.

Gotta love those predestination paradoxes!

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 26, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Impermanent posted:

Have all the players stat up alternate universe versions of their characters. Be vague about how alternate. Occasionally, switch out their sheets as Paradox Demands.

Have them make multiples and determine them randomly as needed.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

Anyone have ideas for interesting time-paradox consequences?

Are you after bad things that can happen to the players as a result of them messing with the past? I would take a cue from the Langoliers: the reason time-paradoxes aren't everywhere is that a species of monsters have evolved to feed on the temporal energy caused by a paradox, like maggots around a wound, and now they're stalking your players and trying to eat them. The players can kill them, but they just keep coming, and the more they create paradox the bigger (and smarter) the monster that will be attracted.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Whybird posted:

Are you after bad things that can happen to the players as a result of them messing with the past? I would take a cue from the Langoliers: the reason time-paradoxes aren't everywhere is that a species of monsters have evolved to feed on the temporal energy caused by a paradox, like maggots around a wound, and now they're stalking your players and trying to eat them. The players can kill them, but they just keep coming, and the more they create paradox the bigger (and smarter) the monster that will be attracted.

Yep, that sounds awesome.

My idea was that paradoxes are localized. TIme's elastic enough not to completely shatter itself when small-to-medium-sized things change, but the people who change them tend to notice strange things over time. (This would start to affect the time mage villain as well if the party hadn't gone back in time themselves.) I like the idea of paradox monsters, for sure.

Impermanent posted:

Oh god, that would be hilarious. Problem is only a couple of the characters would've been alive in this year, because it's 200 years before the main campaign. Most of them are younger than that.

Then again, they've already encountered (dead) parallel versions of themselves as a result of a different time travel incident (how did this space travel campaign become entirely about time travel so quickly?), so maybe another parallel version of the party did the same thing this group did and went back in time, and as the paradoxes pile on, their parallel selves get pulled between universes.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
It's also fun for the PCs' evil future selves to come back in time to try and 'correct' various mistakes they made when they were younger.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Whybird posted:

It's also fun for the PCs' evil future selves to come back in time to try and 'correct' various mistakes they made when they were younger.

This, or their presences is the past is what causes the planet to be destroyed, so their being there was the real danger the entire time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Teonis posted:

This, or their presences is the past is what causes the planet to be destroyed, so their being there was the real danger the entire time.

This is always a possibility. This group of PCs is usually a group of hilarious fuckups. The first things they did upon arriving 200 years in the past and going to the nearest city to do some shopping was threaten a shopkeeper's life and then scare the poo poo out of some members of the local law enforcement. This will probably bite them in the rear end at some point.

In all likelihood, all this planning with paradox won't even come into play because they'll be too busy running from the consequences of their antics to remember they're supposed to be saving a planet.

WiredNavi
Jun 21, 2013

caw caw motherfuckers
Our gaming group recently settled on a modified DW for our D&D-meets-Mass-Effect game. We started in 4E D&D, but after about level 10 it took a lot of effort for the less optimization-interested folks to be relevant, and combat took up way more time than advancing the plot. We tried 13th Age, but that ended up feeling oddly similar without the infinite-depth crunch - too much divide between 'combat' and 'noncombat'. Also icon rolls sort of took over the entire game. Dungeon World has proved to be very popular and has enabled us to do some tremendously cool stuff narratively while maintaining a sense of immediacy about combat and danger.

Also, after dealing with bizarre just-because-I-have-high-Charisma 'Diplomacy' rolls for so long the 'Parley' move just feels so sensible.

I've been working on a few playbooks vaguely inspired by old Final Fantasy games; none have been playtested so far but I'd appreciate any commentary or criticism anyone wants to muster for them. No seriously criticism is great. They use the IW Drive/Backgrounds, and I can't care enough about Race to worry about them, but I shoehorned in some Alignment stuff in case people want it.

The Skylance
The Gambler
The Feral

EDIT: Fixed the missing Instinct-spending bit in Feral. Thanks!

WiredNavi fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 6, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I rather like the feral, though the Run Wild move is missing the part where it tells you to pay essence to use the animal moves. Currently the essence gain is kind of pointless.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

I'm a sucker for Dragoons and really enjoy the angle(s) you took with this DW version.

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars
Thank you to gnome7 and Glazius for the existence of the Clock Mage and Princess playbooks! We had a DW one shot yesterday in honor of GM's Day that went swimmingly. Two evil princesses and the depowered god of time ran rampant through a fate-worshipping good kingdom. The ladies conquered the hell out of their rivals, ravaged the treasury and repowered their vengeful god friend, with much sass and social maneuvering along the way. I'm going to rework a few houserules and try to turn this thing into an actual campaign!

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
Love The Feral up there. Totally makes me want to play Princess Mononoke for a game.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Whats the power level of some of the newer classes compared to the original ones? I am joining a new group that is using the classes from base DW and I plan on using one of gnome7's classes. Since I'm new to the group, I don't want to drop in and completely overshadow everyone elses character.

Right now its a toss up between dragon mage, [s]clock[s] Mask mage, or survivor. I think they have a druid, bard, and maybe paladin.

Edit: Meant mask mage when I type clock mage.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 10, 2015

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'd say most of the custom playbooks (including mine) overshadow Fighter and Thief. Paladin, Druid, and Bard are the stronger playbooks though so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

In my experience Clock Mage can be trouble. The playbook steals a ton of spotlight and has you interrupting the DM all the time to interrupt or re-write reality or pause time and do a little dance. Tends to drain away tension and will probably have him mumbling (or screaming) "bullshit" after the first session. Even if it's not mechanically overpowered, in DW narrative matters and it feels like you're cheating.

Dragon Mage is alright so long as you don't get too creative with the "turn things into gold" move which can be really annoying.

Survivor is pretty solid and gives others a chance to shine too.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

WiredNavi posted:

Our gaming group recently settled on a modified DW for our D&D-meets-Mass-Effect game. We started in 4E D&D, but after about level 10 it took a lot of effort for the less optimization-interested folks to be relevant, and combat took up way more time than advancing the plot. We tried 13th Age, but that ended up feeling oddly similar without the infinite-depth crunch - too much divide between 'combat' and 'noncombat'. Also icon rolls sort of took over the entire game. Dungeon World has proved to be very popular and has enabled us to do some tremendously cool stuff narratively while maintaining a sense of immediacy about combat and danger.

Also, after dealing with bizarre just-because-I-have-high-Charisma 'Diplomacy' rolls for so long the 'Parley' move just feels so sensible.

I've been working on a few playbooks vaguely inspired by old Final Fantasy games; none have been playtested so far but I'd appreciate any commentary or criticism anyone wants to muster for them. No seriously criticism is great. They use the IW Drive/Backgrounds, and I can't care enough about Race to worry about them, but I shoehorned in some Alignment stuff in case people want it.

The Skylance
The Gambler
The Feral

Did you read my mind! I literally started writing a sky-lancer class middle last week. I'd collected my references and then you posted this! I in particular was taking from FF (like you) and Langrisser. I will test and let you know how it plays if I can.

WiredNavi
Jun 21, 2013

caw caw motherfuckers

Teonis posted:

Did you read my mind! I literally started writing a sky-lancer class middle last week. I'd collected my references and then you posted this! I in particular was taking from FF (like you) and Langrisser. I will test and let you know how it plays if I can.

Please do! And don't let this stop you from doing your own version, I'd love to see someone else's take on the whole Dragoon shtick, especially since I'm only familiar with Langrisser by name.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games

WiredNavi posted:

Please do! And don't let this stop you from doing your own version, I'd love to see someone else's take on the whole Dragoon shtick, especially since I'm only familiar with Langrisser by name.

One thing I've been wondering is, are there any examples of the dragoon archetype before Final Fantasy 3 (Final Fantasy 2 has a dragoon character apparently, but it lacks what I consider key: the jumping hella high and the lance/spear). It seems a bit weird and specific to have popped out of nowhere.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

Demon_Corsair posted:

Whats the power level of some of the newer classes compared to the original ones? I am joining a new group that is using the classes from base DW and I plan on using one of gnome7's classes. Since I'm new to the group, I don't want to drop in and completely overshadow everyone elses character.

Right now its a toss up between dragon mage, [s]clock[s] Mask mage, or survivor. I think they have a druid, bard, and maybe paladin.

Edit: Meant mask mage when I type clock mage.

Because DW is so narrative, it's mainly just the classes like the Clock Mage or Psion that prove problematic from what I have seen, and that's mainly if the GM lets the description of how their powers work and what they can do get a little out of control. It can be tough to draw the line between things your psychic character can do in people's heads and things they can't for me at least, especially as I usually am ok with doing things more by rule of cool than explicitly written moves. Like Mr. Prokosch said, the Clock Mage is similarly powerful in that it's basically giving you the power to do whatever you can imagine with time manipulation, which can be incredibly powerful depending on your imagination and what your GM allows.

That being said, one of nice things about DW is that it's always easy to adjust your own power level - I always tell my players 'You are as powerful as you can narratively describe yourself as being.' If you notice you are overshadowing other players, you can dial back how you are describing the scope of your powers working narratively and give them more room to shine. For instance, say you were playing the Brute, and you have been using a tree trunk to scythe through a horde of enemies, when you notice that the Fighter isn't being as descriptive as he could about cleaving through multiple enemies etc and so is killing far fewer enemies. Instead of continuing as is, you can start making great overhand swings and driving enemies into the ground like tent pegs - still Brutish, still fun, but now you will get more back and forth between the two of you and the GM as you deal with the enemies more one on one.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
Also, bear in mind that that can go both ways. It's equally fine for the GM to ask leading questions like 'As you're distracted plunging into $PC's mind, what happens to your body?'

Fakedit: The way our group ran the Clock Mage was to assume that all his time-meddling that didn't trigger an actual move happened off-camera, and the narrative that the players experienced at the table was the best possible way he could make things turn out.

Whybird fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 11, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Whybird posted:

The way our group ran the Clock Mage was to assume that all his time-meddling that didn't trigger an actual move happened off-camera, and the narrative that the players experienced at the table was the best possible way he could make things turn out.

This is a good idea, and how I'll probably handle it if I ever play one or run a game with one.

WiredNavi
Jun 21, 2013

caw caw motherfuckers

Sanglorian posted:

One thing I've been wondering is, are there any examples of the dragoon archetype before Final Fantasy 3 (Final Fantasy 2 has a dragoon character apparently, but it lacks what I consider key: the jumping hella high and the lance/spear). It seems a bit weird and specific to have popped out of nowhere.

Not even the slightest clue. I've never seen a reference to anything like that before then. The 'Dragon Warrior' archetype does appear in other games, usually as a dragonrider or transforming character.

I shoehorned a Dragoon into a brief 13th age campaign by taking a Fighter and tacking on a reskinned Rogue's 'vanish and reappear with a backstab' ability. Anything which lets you leave the fight briefly and re-enter with a high damage attack.

Honestly, 'Dragon Warrior' a la Legend of Dragoon would make another excellent, somewhat different class - true flight, draconic transformation, etc. Dragon Mage is awesome but has a Draconic Sorcerer bent to it that doesn't quite fit. It could also be a Compendium Class. (Skylancer could've been a Compendium Class easily but I was having too much fun fooling around with it.)

Currently I'm playing a Cursed Knight, which is super focused on a particular mechanic. It's fun and effective but it's almost too focused on that - almost every move manipulates the central conceit of the class or lets that conceit be more effective in combat. I could do with more moves about what the character is like outside of a tactical situation... but that's what multiclassing is for.

WiredNavi
Jun 21, 2013

caw caw motherfuckers

RSIxidor posted:

Love The Feral up there. Totally makes me want to play Princess Mononoke for a game.

Oh man, it would work for Mononoke Hime too, wouldn't it? Though she'd probably take the 'magically transformed option. Thanks!

My favorite bit in there was a totally unintended combination of Walk Like A Man and Rampage, where you become a rampaging 'civilized person' and can't snap out of it until your 'civilized' perspective is satisfied. "No! Gau say use salad fork for salad! That dessert fork! DESSERT FORK! UWAOO~!!"

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

FromTheShire posted:

Because DW is so narrative, it's mainly just the classes like the Clock Mage or Psion that prove problematic from what I have seen, and that's mainly if the GM lets the description of how their powers work and what they can do get a little out of control. It can be tough to draw the line between things your psychic character can do in people's heads and things they can't for me at least, especially as I usually am ok with doing things more by rule of cool than explicitly written moves. Like Mr. Prokosch said, the Clock Mage is similarly powerful in that it's basically giving you the power to do whatever you can imagine with time manipulation, which can be incredibly powerful depending on your imagination and what your GM allows.

That being said, one of nice things about DW is that it's always easy to adjust your own power level - I always tell my players 'You are as powerful as you can narratively describe yourself as being.' If you notice you are overshadowing other players, you can dial back how you are describing the scope of your powers working narratively and give them more room to shine. For instance, say you were playing the Brute, and you have been using a tree trunk to scythe through a horde of enemies, when you notice that the Fighter isn't being as descriptive as he could about cleaving through multiple enemies etc and so is killing far fewer enemies. Instead of continuing as is, you can start making great overhand swings and driving enemies into the ground like tent pegs - still Brutish, still fun, but now you will get more back and forth between the two of you and the GM as you deal with the enemies more one on one.

Dial back the brute?! Why not just nerf it, why don't you? I don't mind a player going over the top, it is always fun, but unless they are derailing the game, I instead help the less descriptive player by spicing up their actions for them. "I attack this guy in front of me." and he rolls well, so "You cleave into him, slashing him and his buddies as you drive him back towards the river's edge." A highly narrative GM can create narrative to make up the difference, instead of handicapping a player. Then, as they get the idea, the others should start playing more liberally.

If you still have a shy-guy, take them aside after the game and work with them on their character's personality, ask them what they would like to see themselves doing. Then, in your next session, remind them of the things you discussed they can do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WiredNavi posted:

The Skylance
The Gambler
The Feral

These playbooks are wonderful. Dragoon, Setzer, and Gau.

I really want to play The Gambler now, actually. I've got a soft spot for murdering people by throwing playing cards at them.

WiredNavi
Jun 21, 2013

caw caw motherfuckers

Harrow posted:

These playbooks are wonderful. Dragoon, Setzer, and Gau.

I really want to play The Gambler now, actually. I've got a soft spot for murdering people by throwing playing cards at them.

Thanks! If you do play the Gambler, let me know how it goes. The Gambler is the one I've got the least confidence in - I think some of it's solid (especially the card-throwing antics) but I have some concerns about the Luck mechanic, and I worry that some of the moves are too similar. The various reveal-an-advantage / turn the tables / whatnot moves are pretty close to Spout Lore/Discern Realities if you squint.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

Teonis posted:

Dial back the brute?! Why not just nerf it, why don't you? I don't mind a player going over the top, it is always fun, but unless they are derailing the game, I instead help the less descriptive player by spicing up their actions for them. "I attack this guy in front of me." and he rolls well, so "You cleave into him, slashing him and his buddies as you drive him back towards the river's edge." A highly narrative GM can create narrative to make up the difference, instead of handicapping a player. Then, as they get the idea, the others should start playing more liberally.

If you still have a shy-guy, take them aside after the game and work with them on their character's personality, ask them what they would like to see themselves doing. Then, in your next session, remind them of the things you discussed they can do.

Oh I completely agree when i'm running - I love it when they try crazy stunts and mindwreck people etc. I'm well known for answering the question 'How many X's are there?' with 'So many X's,' so when they describe force lightning-ing an entire platoon, I have no problem with it, it's awesome and there's always more mooks if you need them. I also try and do the same thing with people who are new or less descriptive, so for instance in Tuesday's game, the never played RPG's before girl playing the Princess didn't just 'shoot one of them' with her newly acquired laser rifle especially after rolling a 12 on her volley and max damage, she 'jumped through the air like a John Woo movie to line up two of the space lizard guards, headshotting both of them, after which the laser zipped off of the curved walls and killed the remaining guard.' Between good ideas and good rolls, she ended up being the hands down star of the session even while playing with people who are familiar with the system.

The Brute example I gave was something I did as a player - I was going heavily Hulk inspired, smashing, leaping, eating your enemies to regain health etc, but because the other two players and GM were new to the system and running their first campaign, respectively, I noticed I was hogging the spotlight. I tried to feed them ideas on how to be more descriptive in what they were doing/ what was happening, but I also dialed back the over the top nature of some of the things I was doing as well. After a couple sessions, everyone got the hang of things a bit better and into the flow more, and I could go back to doing outlandish nonsense while not making it all about me.

My apologies on wording what I was trying to say badly, the example with the Brute was meant to show Demon_Corsair how he could self-adjust his character's power level since he was worried about overshadowing his group. Hopefully his GM would be able to adjust things so that didn't happen to begin with, but if did for whatever reason, it's easy to change your play slightly and avoid taking away from the fun of the other players until you're all on the same page in my experience.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Introducing our new characters in our campaign resulted in this conversation:

Swordmage: "Oh, also, she wears a gold-white tabard."
Fighter: "Are you sure? It looks black and blue to me."

And so the session started with some pvp.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I really want to do a hack that's more about amassing resources and advancement towards a long term goal with disposable, hopeless adventurers after playing Darkest Dungeon a bunch. Could be a lot of fun with simple disposable playbooks.

I'm guessing it would need a more complex "goal" playbook for the whole group or facets of the goal for each player, like a "guild" playbook or "settlement" playbook.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Fenarisk posted:

I really want to do a hack that's more about amassing resources and advancement towards a long term goal with disposable, hopeless adventurers after playing Darkest Dungeon a bunch. Could be a lot of fun with simple disposable playbooks.

I'm guessing it would need a more complex "goal" playbook for the whole group or facets of the goal for each player, like a "guild" playbook or "settlement" playbook.

Aspects of the settlements themselves are playbooks, the actual adventurers either hireling complicated or even spendable hold for settlement moves.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Maltose posted:

Aspects of the settlements themselves are playbooks, the actual adventurers either hireling complicated or even spendable hold for settlement moves.

Adventurers as hold sounds cool.

Like, on a 10 you get your goal and the adventurer survives (refund hold spent)
7-9 you suceed, but Bob the thief died
6- Bob died, you failed, bad things happen.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
My brother was playing around with some ideas like this, rather than a character you get a village, all your moves and advances are buildings and important positions and the like. I rather liked the concept, but he was working towards it being a group thing, so everyone is playing it as opposed to it being a single player book.

I however, now what I want to build is a playbook about being a unit or guild. I think it could make for a nice ensemble character, representing a larger force of weaker people lead by a guildmaster, rather than a single power house. So all those supporting characters in a story who are just as important battle wise but only as a group. Different moves could represent the individual members of the guild. I think it could be an interesting project.

Spending 'adventurers' as hold would make for a pretty nice core mechanic to power it. But I'd need to play around with it first and see if its the best course of action.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I have ye to see it, but isn't this more or less what No Country for Old Kobolds is about? It sounds like there's some similarities there in the way it was pitched, and it's described as a hack of Dungeon World...

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013

Gasperkun posted:

I have ye to see it, but isn't this more or less what No Country for Old Kobolds is about? It sounds like there's some similarities there in the way it was pitched, and it's described as a hack of Dungeon World...

I haven't looked at the most recent version of the game but from what I looked at last time I think No Country would probably be a pretty decent starting point for a Darkest Dungeon hack, although there's a bit more granularity than just spending hold when it comes to the adventurers part.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Got a few rough mechanics sketched out for the Guild. I'm really not sure about the merchant or knowledge guild bonus. I'm working on a list of specialities that'll operate like the Arcane duellist's styles or the elementalist's commands and elements. Each one will provide a different effect, but to make use of it you've got to use the Playbooks resource, which are the members of your guild. I'm still working on when you can restock it, but I'm thinking that the only way to get it back up to full is to rest in a settlement. Otherwise you might need to invest in the Healer speciality, which could restore a few guildmates out in the field, but only a small amount.

quote:

Guild Type:
- Questing for Glory: Pick ether your STR or CON, this stat determines your GUILDMATES limit. Your Guild specializes in combat and using their close bonds to out play enemies. When your guildmates enact battle tactics to gain advantage over the enemy, spend 1 guildmate per enemy that you wish to neutralize or lock out of the combat.
- Mercantile and Crafting: Pick ether your DEX or CHA, this stat determines your GUILDMATES limit. When your guildmates seek information on your trade networks. Spend 1 Guildmate per rumour you want to hear about the best deals or quality items in the local or country wide markets.
- Seekers of Knowledge: Pick ether your INT or WIS, this stat determines your GUILDMATES limit. You have all kinds of mixed knowledge at your disposal. When you consult your guild for answers or analysis. Spend 1 Guildmate to translate a text, analyse a monster or buildings weak points, or research myths or legends to get clues or locations

Starting Moves:

Specialities: Unique rolls within the guild, typically the guild will have a small selection of specialist roles to start out with. All guilds start out with a Guild Leader, and a Quatermaster specialities. In addition pick 3 starting specialities that your guild members can access. Every time you level up you may choose an additional speciality for your guild.

People of the Guild: Your guild has as many active GUILDMATES as your STAT. When a move calls for you to roll +Teamwork you can spend GUILDMATES and roll +Teamwork spent. You may also spend 1 GUILDMATE to activate a speciality.

By My Command: When you command your guildmates to overcome a challenge through cowardination. Roll +Teamwork. On a 10+ the group succeeds with excellence and the GUILDMATES spent is refunded. On a 7-9, the action succeeds, but the group is tired out or injured. On a 6- something goes horribly wrong.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is No Country For Old Kobolds basically Kobold Camp as a Dungeon World hack?

Because I would play the gently caress out of that.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Is vanilla Thief really that bad? I thought it looked alright, aside from the worthless alignment move and being a little hard up for stealth moves.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Appoda posted:

Is vanilla Thief really that bad? I thought it looked alright, aside from the worthless alignment move and being a little hard up for stealth moves.

It's a lot of things that are kinda boring, kinda useless, no real stealth moves, and a bunch of poison moves that are debatable. City Thief is basically a better thief, and didn't even have to change that much, just added stealth and acrobatics.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
The base Thief should probably be called the Mugger instead. It's got cool flavor for being some brute accosting you in an alleyway and beating you up, but that's not what people really think of when they think D&D Thief. It also has pretty uninteresting number filled moves which feel flat to get and also further reinforce the fact that you're some jerk beating chumps up and not someone hiding from things, but that's just kind of in line with most of the base design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The core DW design left stealth out deliberately so that anyone could do it via description, but they just didn't key on to "you can have the Thief do it better" at all. After cutting stealth, they didn't really come up with a whole lot.

Meanwhile, the City Thief is literally based 99% on Garrett.