Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Plenty of people will probably buy the gold model, as newly rich people are almost always tacky as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

shadow puppet of a posted:

Trivial in the sense that there is an entirely new function to 'watches' that a company like Rolex will never be able to participate in among a generation that has never worn them for prior timekeeping reasons? I don think so.

Rolex will survive in some form, but the global market for seamasters and millegauss replicas is scheduled to contract harder than ceramic filled 18k gold.

High-end watches are jewelry and have been for ages, with functionality being a passing concern at best. And as jewelry the Apple Watch never really measures up, no matter how much not-gold you make it out of. It's a primarily functional piece of technology and looks like it, which is why the higher end ones seem so silly to most of us.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'm really surprised so many people are losing their mind at the prices. The gold edition was never meant for us. Hell, Tim Cook doesn't even wear it and it won't even be sold in most apple stores. It was meant for the people who never had to wonder or care about how much it cost. It's a fashion intended item and as such, it's sold to the same crowd that wear stupid swan dresses and goes to fashion week to toss pieces of bread at the models.

I think the sport prices are good and the regular model might be a little high. This is true of all Apple products though. The only thing that floored me is the individual price of the metal link strap. I'm not a watch collector but my father in law is and he's dropped over a grand on a watch before many times and those watches have zero abilities outside of telling time.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 10, 2015

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

mikemil828 posted:

In the beginning the ipad only really had average sales until they found something that made it considerably better than the competition, which was the retina display.

This is not the case at all. "Up until September 2010, Apple iPads accounted for 95% of tablet computer sales, according to research firm Strategy Analytics.

By the end of 2010, that figure had fallen to 75%, said Strategy Analytics." ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12620077 )

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Regarding the Apple Watch. One question I have, that I haven't looked for an answer to, is does the screen stay always on, or does it turn on when you swing your arm like Android Wear? Also does it have a low power ambient mode too?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm not a watch collector but my father in law is and he's dropped over a grand on a watch before many times and those watches have zero abilities outside of telling time.

The question is whether Apple is going to be able to make a dent in that particular market, because as you said it's not a market that was ever really concerned about functionality. Expensive watches are just socially-acceptable jewelry for men, and as jewelry none of the Apple watches are terribly stunning.

Apple's used to having the best-looking and best-built products in any segment they enter, or at least near the top. It's harder to argue that that's the case here, which matters when (again, at the higher end) they're entering a market dominated by aesthetics, not function.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will get a sport so I don't feel so bad replacing it when Apple inevitably fixes/improves it a year from now.

And if the price of the edition watch shocks you then you were never part of its target market. That's for people that want the exclusivity of a good that's overpriced enough to keep it super rare in the wild, and for whom dropping 10 or 20 grand on something like this isn't something they spend much time thinking about, before or after the purchase. There's a lot more of those people out there than you probably think.

The people most offended by the edition watch are those that think themselves wealthy, but are reminded by this that they aren't even close.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

sethsez posted:

Expensive watches are just socially-acceptable jewelry for men, and as jewelry none of the Apple watches are terribly stunning.

Except for the part where people will know you spent over $10k for it.

I honestly wonder if Apple has thought through some sort of guts upgrade plan for people with the gold one beca... Lol come on of course they didn't.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The people most offended by the edition watch are those that think themselves wealthy, but are reminded by this that they aren't even close.
I haven't followed this discussion 100 percent, but I haven't spotted any offended people. People are mostly laughing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The gold one is weird too because it's like, it's gold so it will appeal to rich people. But a lot of expensive watches are made of stainless steel or white gold, because a lot of men don't wear gold jewelry, no matter how rich they are.

I guess that's where places like China and Russia come in, but I'm not sure how appealing this will be in the US.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
What's the killer app?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rivid posted:

What's the killer app?

Clock

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Regarding the Apple Watch. One question I have, that I haven't looked for an answer to, is does the screen stay always on, or does it turn on when you swing your arm like Android Wear? Also does it have a low power ambient mode too?
The Glimpse feature suggests it turns off most of the time except when you look at it or are actively use it, though I haven't heard of an ambient mode.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Does anyone know how customizable notifications can get on the watch?

E.g. can I have it only display phonecalls and texts, and leave the rest of the notifications on the phone, or will every single notification get pushed to the watch?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The band prices are ri-loving-diculous. I would have been interested in maybe dropping 400 bucks on a watch but not when you have to spend 1k to look like a god drat adult.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Walked posted:

Does anyone know how customizable notifications can get on the watch?

E.g. can I have it only display phonecalls and texts, and leave the rest of the notifications on the phone, or will every single notification get pushed to the watch?

I believe part of the watch app on the phone is the ability to set a notification filter. Dunno how granular you can get but I'd have to think you could at least go by what app is sending the notification.

E:

Dietrich posted:

The band prices are ri-loving-diculous. I would have been interested in maybe dropping 400 bucks on a watch but not when you have to spend 1k to look like a god drat adult.

I think if I do the watch I'm going to be getting the cheap band and hoping for 3rd party bands to be more reasonable in price.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Dietrich posted:

This is what has really killed it for me too. I would have bought one day one, but not if I have to spend 450 on a watch band. hopefully 3rd party ones come out and are cheaper.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do the bands fit all the watches? I can't tell from the pictures of the cases are different with the various bands/types of metal case.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dietrich posted:

Actually $349 gets you a beautiful, elegant watch that doesn't look at all like a toy

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

badjohny posted:

This is what has really killed it for me too. I would have bought one day one, but not if I have to spend 450 on a watch band. hopefully 3rd party ones come out and are cheaper.

Presumably the watch band will be compatible with future watch versions so when you upgrade your watch you can buy the cheapest version and use the same band from the current watch.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

gret posted:

Presumably the watch band will be compatible with future watch versions so when you upgrade your watch you can buy the cheapest version and use the same band from the current watch.

449 dollars for a loving stainless steel bracelet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can't wait for a third party nato strap.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

gret posted:

Why do you presume this?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If history is any guide they are just two hardware revisions away from soldering in the bands.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RVProfootballer posted:

Actually $349 gets you a beautiful, elegant watch that doesn't look at all like a toy

This but unironically: http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch-sport/space-gray-aluminum-case-black-sport-band/

Black makes everything better. I also fully expect this configuration to be the first to sell out.

That said if I had more disposable income AND the wife wouldn't kill me I would consider dropping $700 on the steel/milanese combo.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 10, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Are the bands smart bands? Do they add functionality?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man I just don't get it at all. You need your phone for it to do anything useful, your phone can do pretty much everything the watch can do better, you need to charge it everyday and it looks super tacky. (I don't think I could buy a watch without a round face) I guess it's a neat toy and it's probably impossible for it to flop but like is the two seconds it takes to take your phone out of your pocket really such a big deal

The fitness stuff is probably the best thing about it but I don't know if it's even the best option out there for that either

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Are the bands smart bands? Do they add functionality?
Nope.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dietrich posted:

449 dollars for a loving stainless steel bracelet.

Seems in line with the prices of stainless steel replacement bracelets for luxury watches.

RVProfootballer posted:

Why do you presume this?

I assume since they invented this whole new mechanism for attaching bracelets that they don't intend to change it after one year.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Dave posted:

Except for the part where people will know you spent over $10k for it.

I honestly wonder if Apple has thought through some sort of guts upgrade plan for people with the gold one beca... Lol come on of course they didn't.

Well, supposedly the watch has a discrete module that can be popped out (basically everything but the battery and screen stuff). I haven't heard any more on whether the existing watches can be HW upgraded that way for a lesser cost. If that's the case I'll have no issue buying the steel version. If it's not, I probably won't purchase any version.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

gret posted:

Seems in line with the prices of stainless steel replacement bracelets for luxury watches.

Uh huh, and how many $500 luxury watches come with plastic bands?

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 10, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What I want to know, is how the ever-living gently caress they actually let the Apple Watch Edition edition name fly. How many people actually had to approve that name before it was official?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Dietrich posted:

I can name you $20,000 luxury watches with plastic bands. Admittedly, those are 'sport' types it is this unheard of? No.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Dietrich posted:

:lol:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

gret posted:

I assume since they invented this whole new mechanism for attaching bracelets that they don't intend to change it after one year.

Probably not after one year, but every 2-4 years, sure. This idea that they're going to treat this like a watch you can keep for decades and pass down to your kids is so loving weird. Yes, I'm sure they'll totally make everything backwards compatible forever, when they could instead make substantive, non-backwards compatible upgrades every couple years and sell more accessories/bands. They definitely won't make you buy a new model when they release one, they'll obviously let you just swap out the guts and just charge you like $100, just like when there's a new Macbook or iPad or iPhone that uses the same chassis.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dietrich posted:

How about a $1700 one? (and let's not debate whether Tags count as "luxury")

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wa...5A&searchidx=12

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dietrich posted:

$500 luxury watches

A what now?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

flosofl posted:

Well, supposedly the watch has a discrete module that can be popped out (basically everything but the battery and screen stuff). I haven't heard any more on whether the existing watches can be HW upgraded that way for a lesser cost. If that's the case I'll have no issue buying the steel version. If it's not, I probably won't purchase any version.

I don't think it's "can be popped out" so much as that illustration was just to show it's a discrete module that contains memory, storage, and CPU. By cramming all the major pieces into one and then sealing it all into one package resin it makes the whole thing more durable.

Gruber started the idea by saying "why wouldn't they make that picture" but then astutely pointed out that think of what could happen if they did this starting with a 1st-gen iPhone. You could upgrade the CPU and storage but you'd still have EDGE networking, no gyro sensor, no compass, garbage camera & no front one, a thicker case, etc. Would you really want to use an iPhone 1 with iPhone 4S CPU/memory/storage, but iPhone 1 everything else?

A 2016 or 2017 Apple Watch is probably going to have major improvement in sensors, battery, maybe a thinner case, etc. that can't simply be upgraded with a CPU/memory/storage module.

The best we can hope for, I imagine, is that bands will be interchangeable a few generations out.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Apple has made a hundred billion dollars off the "hand your old iphone hardware down to your kids" concept and will be harvesting that all over again with the watch. It will only be upgradeable in the sense that Timmy gets a g1 sport band watch so parents can guiltlessly upgrade to the tungsten and titanium models in 2017.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Don't be daft. $500 can buy you an automatic Tissot with a sapphire crystal. $350 can buy you a titanium, sapphire and atomic Citizen ecodrive, and $650 can get you a Raymond Weil.

Nevermind the deals you can score if you pick up a second-hand watch from one of the big watch forums.

• Locked thread