Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Oh boy, Embiid is seeing a doctor in LA today. I'm nervously hoping for good news. Please be good news.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Rick posted:

If you can score, it absolutely doesn't matter how you get those points. These floor-spacing offenses aren't new, even the most modern form is basically ten+ years old at this point. And there are a lot of teams with great spacing and ball movement that have been sent home by ISO and post teams. There's no single answer for what type of offense is the most effective thing in the NBA and we're like, four years removed from the common mantra being that a jumpshooting team couldn't ever win a title.

Spacing is a tool used to create three point shots. But it's not the only tool that does it, if Chris Paul driving and kicking to JJ Redick and only JJ makes a comparable number of threes, there's no difference. And if you have Jordan and Pippen and can score 109 a game mostly from 2, it doesn't matter if you don't shoot many threes.

The best way to score in the NBA is the way that allows the talent on your particular team to score and one solution doesn't fit all or equal a championship. The closest thing to a rule is "transcendent talent overcomes anything else" but even that isn't fast and firm anymore.

Of course a team with poor spacing can win the championship, but I wouldn't bet on any team with poor spacing winning the championship. My point is that among the other things that are working against the Clippers, their offense should be looked at closer because of their tight spacing. They may be good enough to still be able to score in the playoffs but if they hit a very aggressive team that makes anyone but Chris Paul and Blake Griffin beat them, their offense is not going to look so great.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Hey guys more Anthony Davis circlejerking, he's also the most clutch player in the league: http://tinyurl.com/pnmta27

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

wangvicous posted:

Of course a team with poor spacing can win the championship, but I wouldn't bet on any team with poor spacing winning the championship. My point is that among the other things that are working against the Clippers, their offense should be looked at closer because of their tight spacing. They may be good enough to still be able to score in the playoffs but if they hit a very aggressive team that makes anyone but Chris Paul and Blake Griffin beat them, their offense is not going to look so great.
The Clippers do not have tight spacing you bozo

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I can barely fathom how good Anthony Davis is going to be in 2-3 years.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

roundmidnight posted:

I can barely fathom how good Anthony Davis is going to be in 2-3 years.

How much better can someone get? Right now he's at the place where everyone says "Give ______ a year or two, he's going to be insane!"

Staying healthy is the only thing holding these top dudes back, I think.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Philthy posted:

How much better can someone get? Right now he's at the place where everyone says "Give ______ a year or two, he's going to be insane!"

Staying healthy is the only thing holding these top dudes back, I think.

I don't think averaging 32/13/4blk is out of the question.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The idea that Clippers weakness is their offense of all things is very weird. If y'all are going to just spout Zach Lowe catchphrases you should probably at least make sure they apply to the thing you're talking about. The Clips have made the fourth most three pointers in the entire league.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

roundmidnight posted:

Yes it is. He's not going to ever be the top scorer and rebounder in the league, nor average Mark Eaton levels of BPG at the same time. He's looking great, but those numbers would put him among the greatest players of all time; might be time to back the hype off a little bit. He's not going to be as good as Shaq was.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

But all Blake Griffin does is dunk!!!!!!!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Philthy posted:

How much better can someone get?

There is this whole other end of the court where he could expend some energy more usefully.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

The B_36 posted:

Yes it is. He's not going to ever be the top scorer and rebounder in the league, nor average Mark Eaton levels of BPG at the same time. He's looking great, but those numbers would put him among the greatest players of all time; might be time to back the hype off a little bit. He's not going to be as good as Shaq was.

I do not see why he can't get up to Shaq's rebound numbers. The points will definitely be harder but he's certainly more offensively versatile than Shaq (though nowhere near Shaq's low post dominance). And, I mean, Free Throws.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I do not see why he can't get up to Shaq's rebound numbers. The points will definitely be harder but he's certainly more offensively versatile than Shaq (though nowhere near Shaq's low post dominance). And, I mean, Free Throws.

Yeah, the rebounding number is the easiest one to get to, but hell, even Durant struggles to score 32ppg, and he's not grabbing 13 rebounds yo go along with it. And who was the last player to avg 4bpg over a season? It's been a while right?

That line is basically saying he's going to be as good a scorer as the best current scorer, while also being the best rebounder, all while averaging more blocks than anyone has done in a while. That's....optimistic.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

roundmidnight posted:

Yeah I think this is a little crazy. He is scoring really well right now because he has developed a very nice midrange game, but that can't get you to 30 points a game.The last big man to get there was Karl Malone, and expecting to him to become Karl Malone is a little ridiculous. Everyone that's averaged 30PPG in the past 15 years (AI, Durant, Lebron, Kobe, McGrady, Wade) has either been an elite athletic wing that could get to the rim whenever they wanted to (Wade, AI, Lebron, Kobe) or an elite shooter from anywhere on the floor (KD). Anthony Davis is neither of these things.

He also is not even close to the dominating physical force that Shaq was, and even he didn't get the 30 PPG.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

There is this whole other end of the court where he could expend some energy more usefully.

Basically this. His offense is great and but he will help his team a lot more if he can make better gambles for blocks and generally defend better. The talk of him as DPOTY is, to me, worse than when Ibaka was getting railroaded there. AD isn't a bad defender, and he's probably where you'd expect a 21 year old who is tasked with roaming weak-side to be, but he has room there.

edit: His scoring per game will also drop because pretty soon they'll start cutting back his minutes from ~36 during the regular season.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I think 32 points is easier for AD than the 13 rebounds. Especially with his he is developing.

Also, this:

dokmo posted:

though he has improved a bit. Still gambles a bit and jumps for blocks he doesn't need to (which puts him out of position to contest the shot or grab the rebound).

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Kibner posted:

I think 32 points is easier for AD than the 13 rebounds. Especially with his he is developing.

Also, this:

though he has improved a bit. Still gambles a bit and jumps for blocks he doesn't need to (which puts him out of position to contest the shot or grab the rebound).

His PNR defense has become if anything worse. I think it's getting to the point were he is expending so much energy on offense that he is getting super lazy on PNRs. I don't know if East teams have caught onto this yet, but more often west teams are going after him and his lazy undisciplined hedges.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

roundmidnight posted:

If even 2k can't simulate that, I doubt it will happen in real life. This is the same game that has Curry averaging 26/12/8 on 56% fg, injured.

Mostly because 4 blocks is something even peak Ibaka couldn't do.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

"Doc Rivers" posted:

Wow, that was such a violent bump...iIt was amazing. I told Dahntay, 'You have to be careful; that was too hard.' I guess that tough guy in Golden State, that bump was too hard for him, clearly the way he reacted, my goodness. I thought that guy was tough.

Draymond literally did not react lmao. I thought all the Clipper hate was overblown, but holy poo poo, they are all completely unlikable outside of Blake doing cool poo poo.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Listening to Bill Simmons talk about Blake Griffin is making my head hurt.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Draymond literally did not react lmao. I thought all the Clipper hate was overblown, but holy poo poo, they are all completely unlikable outside of Blake doing cool poo poo.
Jamal, Nate Rob, and Big Baby are great. It's mostly Doc Rivers and CP3 that people should hate and, hell, i do too.

Jack's Flow posted:

Listening to Bill Simmons talk about Blake Griffin is making my head hurt.

"turn him into an energy guy and say 'hey, just go out there and get 15 points easy points and 13 boards'"

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 10, 2015

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

wangvicous posted:

If [team] hits a very aggressive team that makes anyone but [best player] and [second best player] beat them, their offense is not going to look so great. That's not very telling.

You seem to be treating spacing like an end in and of itself, as opposed to a way that teams are able to create efficient offense. Regardless of how they're doing it, the Clippers have the best offense in the league. They may no be doing it in a way that's trendy in the NBA, but they also have players that have skillsets not duplicated on other teams.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
If Anthony Davis isn't averaging 32/13/4blk on January 1, 2017, I will donate $100 to the New Orleans charity of y'all's choice.

See you in the Clinton Administration.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

roundmidnight posted:

If Anthony Davis isn't averaging 32/13/4blk on January 1, 2017, I will donate $100 to the New Orleans charity of y'all's choice.

Inauguration day isn't until January 20th 2017, so you are predicting a fairly widespread mass-execution of the executive branch. I assume your are a Ted Cruze supporter then.

Created a "followupthen" reminder for Jan 1.

quote:

We've got you covered.
FOLLOWUP SCHEDULED FOR
Sun, January 1st 2017 6:00am CST
SUBJECT
$100 Charity

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Is Doc literally a 9th grader?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

roundmidnight posted:

I'm not sure we'll see a 30+ ppg guy in the league again. The odd thing is if he ever hits that scoring mark I'd imagine he'd need more rebounds to do it.

You're asking him to add as many ppg in his third to fourth year as he did in his first to second year. That's crazy.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bashez posted:

I'm not sure we'll see a 30+ ppg guy in the league again.

Uh, we're literally one year removed from the last one. Why don't you think we'll see another one?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Bashez posted:

I'm not sure we'll see a 30+ ppg guy in the league again.

What the heck. Yes we will.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Ujiri was speaking at some Canadian basketball thing, said some stuff about guaranteeing a Canadian one day playing on his Raptors and alluded to Wiggins being his most-desired non-LeBron player. His most important quote though:

quote:

Article on Sportsnet
When asked if there was anything he’d done that he’d like to take back, Ujiri joked about his "F-Brooklyn" outburst, saying: "Trust me, I ain’t taking that back. I hope we play (the Nets) again, and I’ll say it again."

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Uh, we're literally one year removed from the last one. Why don't you think we'll see another one?

I meant as a career/regular thing which is what I take betting on Davis to average 32 is setting him up as.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
There have only been 2 guys to average 30 for a career and they both barely did it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

Big Baby [is] great.

You are completely alone on that one.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Papercut posted:

he's the real mvp in the era of the graphics interchange file

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Mavs are also the playoff team I've watched the least this year. They've lost their role as a perennial ESPN Friday Night team and their games are on at an awkward time. In my head I imagine them as a real tough out in the first round but I have no idea how accurate that is. I thought they were pretty bad down the stretch last year and they still ended up being a tough out.

Julius Randle has been cleared for non-contact, that's nice. They think he might play a little at the end of the season just to get some game experience.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

His PNR defense has become if anything worse. I think it's getting to the point were he is expending so much energy on offense that he is getting super lazy on PNRs. I don't know if East teams have caught onto this yet, but more often west teams are going after him and his lazy undisciplined hedges.

I'll have to pay more attention to this. It's probably a combination of him spending more energy on offense (or just not putting forth full effort) and relying on Asik to make up for his mistakes a little too much.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

Big Baby are great.
I hope you die alone and of pancreatic cancer

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Big Baby is awful on the whole but is extremely amusing in gif/vine form

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

There have only been 2 guys to average 30 for a career and they both barely did it.

I'm just considering a 4-5 year "prime" window. There's a handful of guys that have done this. I suppose the more I think about it the more likely I find it. If Durant had worse teammates he'd probably have had a high enough usage to pull it off.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Papercut posted:

Big Baby in that baby blue Clippers jersey (with sleeves) is one of the funniest and most infuriating things ever. I see him waddle around, and I get so angry. I just can't help myself.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Steph Curry :slick::slick::slick: https://twitter.com/warriorsworld/status/575346436038000640/video/1

You the real MVP.

• Locked thread