Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... Thread title, I can't figure out what it refers. Anyone have a hint/chapter number/whatever to poke my memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Sure, anywhere in the books counts. Good call too, Theon's chapter in Winterfell read like someone made Macbeth into a dark comedy where Macbeth is secretly a doofus.

Not to mention the general hilarity of his time at Pyke.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Grendels Dad posted:

like someone made Macbeth into a dark comedy where Macbeth is secretly a doofus.

This would be a great thread title. Too bad it's too long.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

double nine posted:

... Thread title, I can't figure out what it refers. Anyone have a hint/chapter number/whatever to poke my memory?

Aegon: "I dreamed that I was old"

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

tin can made man posted:

Aegon: "I dreamed that I was old"

Isn't that Aemon? "Egg, I dreamed that I was old."

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I'd like to ask the thread who they think the most self-delusional character is. I just thought of Aeron Damp Hair Greyjoy and realized how much I enjoyed his chapters, mainly because he is hot in pursuit of Cersei's throne as the character with the most hilariously flawed self-perception. I think right in his first chapter he is summoned to some lord's hall and can't stop thinking about how that soft greenlander is cowed by his righteous power, when in reality he is just throwing tantrums and the other guy is clearly uncomfortable and wants to get rid of this nut asap.

Is there anyone else (besides Cersei) whose self-image is so clearly contradicted by the way people around them act?

Pre-crowning Vyseris and Quentyn Martell

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

BreakAtmo posted:

Isn't that Aemon? "Egg, I dreamed that I was old."
It is.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Did the exterior shot of the Long Bridge remind anyone else very strongly of that one level from Dishonored?

Also glad to know this trailer is meeting the quota for burly dudes with shaved armpits raising their swords above their heads

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

canepazzo posted:

Pre-crowning Vyseris and Quentyn Martell

Vyseris is a good one, though he's a lot sadder than Cersei or even Aeron. At least those commanded some minuscule amount of respect, either through their position and family or because people feared they'd make a scene and throw seaweed at everybody. Absolutely no one respected Vyseris, save Dany.

Not so sure about Quentyn though. He always struck me as really self-conscious and defeated.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think someone who is on the opposite end of the spectrum, perceived as rather competent despite inner doubt, is Sam once he gets into Feast territory. The discrepancy is certainly not to the level of Cersei or Aeron, but Sam certainly doubts himself while I believe the other members of the Night's Watch are earning respect. Case in point Sam believes that the nickname "Sam the Slayer" is mocking him when it may be out of genuine respect.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Vyseris is a good one, though he's a lot sadder than Cersei or even Aeron. At least those commanded some minuscule amount of respect, either through their position and family or because people feared they'd make a scene and throw seaweed at everybody. Absolutely no one respected Vyseris, save Dany.

Not so sure about Quentyn though. He always struck me as really self-conscious and defeated.

Quentyn definitely comes across like that at times, but in the end he really seems to buy into his delusions of being the big hero of the story who's going to marry the queen. Or maybe it's just something he keeps telling himself so he can push on. Either way, he ends up a Dornish roast.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Dany combines the most deluded characteristics of both Damphair and Cersei in that she ascribes magical powers to herself that aren't real and believes she has a right to rule despite her lack of political acumen and the misery she causes during her reign. She thinks she can't be burned (she can) and thinks she can't get sick (she can), and her tenure as queen of Meereen has triggered the destruction of the entire region through disease, war, and social upheaval.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

loquacius posted:

Did the exterior shot of the Long Bridge remind anyone else very strongly of that one level from Dishonored?
It reminds me of the Ponte Vecchio.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

In It For The Tank posted:

Dany combines the most deluded characteristics of both Damphair and Cersei in that she ascribes magical powers to herself that aren't real and believes she has a right to rule despite her lack of political acumen and the misery she causes during her reign. She thinks she can't be burned (she can) and thinks she can't get sick (she can), and her tenure as queen of Meereen has triggered the destruction of the entire region through disease, war, and social upheaval.

It's almost like she's become an allegory for American exceptionalism and the 2003 invasion of Iraq...

Beeez
May 28, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

I still wonder if that's what we're supposed to glean from it, because I certainly do. But if any character seems to be given the real "chosen one" treatment where no matter what they do we're supposed to trust they're doing the right thing, it's her. Even when she's babbling about killing everyone from every house that defied her father, her advisers seem to react with little more than a few raised eyebrows before moving on. And a lot of those prominent ASOIAF bloggers in the OP seem to think she's actually doing just fine, with the guy of Race for the Iron Throne arguing she didn't cause enough upheaval and it's okay that she's bringing ruin to all these ancient civilizations because it's white-on-white rather than being a racist "colonial" thing. And the first time the show ever suggested Daenerys is deluded about just how special she really is was when the dragons ate that kid.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

loquacius posted:

Well it is pretty literally Old London Bridge.

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007

webmeister posted:

edit; is that Davos speaking at 0:40 saying "Stannis Baratheon has an army at Castle Black, he intends to take the North"?

It actually sounds a lot like Roose.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He's loose.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Beeez posted:

And the first time the show ever suggested Daenerys is deluded about just how special she really is was when the dragons ate that kid.

I think we're supposed to find her crucifying the slavers to be a step too far given Barristan's reaction.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Maybe you're right, but didn't she give an "I'm a badass" speech when that was happening? Usually those seem to denote that we're supposed to be pumping our fists.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I've heard a rumor that according to some supposedly hitherto-infallible rumor mill site that Sansa marries (again) this season. Has anyone else heard that?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Beeez posted:

Maybe you're right, but didn't she give an "I'm a badass" speech when that was happening? Usually those seem to denote that we're supposed to be pumping our fists.

Show Dany is definitely painted as a hero, and perhaps she will be in the end, but I hope this season does start to emphasize that she's not infallible. It's a lot harder for the show to pull off because it's a mutual perspective but the books do an excellent job of demonstrating biases amongst the POV characters (as clearly evident by the current discussion in this thread). It'd be great if they could show Dany's arc in a way that, when it concludes, the viewer actually goes back and questions why they cheered her on.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I don't know, she was talking poo poo about the Starks in the trailer and she's already had some of her ruthless/incompetent side shown already in S4, when it turns out she nailed a slaver who spoke out against the butchery of children and had done nothing wrong to Dany. I don't think they will pull any punches here.

Stannis looks god drat badass with that fur cloak though, the Roose vs Stannis war is going to be metal as gently caress.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I've heard a rumor that according to some supposedly hitherto-infallible rumor mill site that Sansa marries (again) this season. Has anyone else heard that?

We've been idly speculating that she might take the place of Jeyne Poole and be married off to Ramsey, but it's pretty much just based on the fact that the trailer shows her at Winterfell.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
If she were married to Rob Arryn as originally planned, even if he met an unfortunate end soon after Sansalayne would still be Lady of the Vale which could give her some modicum of authority if she and Littlefinger are conducting a joint scheme of some kind.

Her marrying Ramsay seems like it would be really irritating and put her right back where she started in terms of being able to "do" anything.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'd rather the plan be to entice him as Alayne, then cut his throat when he's vulnerable.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

MrBims posted:

It's almost like she's become an allegory for American exceptionalism and the 2003 invasion of Iraq...

It's not.

e: and also American exceptionalism is something completely unrelated to the point where the comparison is not even wrong.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 10, 2015

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

lifts cats over head posted:

I hope this season does start to emphasize that she's not infallible.

This will not happen for the entirety of the series. The show is far too concerned with making Our Heroes into completely righteous Mary Sues to go about exploring how they'd react or grow from serious mistakes. Show Dany is always confident, always right, and always fearless no matter what's happening. Show Tyrion doesn't murder Shae in cold blood - she comes at him with a knife so he has an out for killing her. He was just defending himself, see? Show Jon isn't any more Mary Sue than book Jon because that isn't really possible.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I'd be down for Sansa taking on the "The North remembers" role.

This is definitely what's going to happen btw.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Unzip and Attack posted:

. Show Dany is always confident, always right, and always fearless no matter what's happening.

This is like 180 degrees from how it's presented. The show is very explicit that Dany has learned to put up a Queenly front when it suites her.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Unzip and Attack posted:

The show is far too concerned with making Our Heroes into completely righteous Mary Sues to go about exploring how they'd react or grow from serious mistakes. Show Dany is always confident, always right, and always fearless no matter what's happening. Show Tyrion doesn't murder Shae in cold blood - she comes at him with a knife so he has an out for killing her. He was just defending himself, see? Show Jon isn't any more Mary Sue than book Jon because that isn't really possible.

This is a pretty gross exaggeration. And you managed to cram the words 'Mary Sue' twice into a single post, so well done on that.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
They still had Tyrion trying to convince himself to rape Sansa in the show, he withdraws earlier in the show than in the books but it still happens. He's also, you know, supported the most terrible ruler in the entire series just to prove himself to his dad and outright says to Varys he enjoys the game. Oh, he also bullies Theon for no reason and arms the mountain men with better weapons.

He may be getting white washed in some areas but Tyrion is still far from a good guy in the show, he's just very witty and way less poo poo than the rest of his family in comparison.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

I'd like to ask the thread who they think the most self-delusional character is. I just thought of Aeron Damp Hair Greyjoy and realized how much I enjoyed his chapters, mainly because he is hot in pursuit of Cersei's throne as the character with the most hilariously flawed self-perception. I think right in his first chapter he is summoned to some lord's hall and can't stop thinking about how that soft greenlander is cowed by his righteous power, when in reality he is just throwing tantrums and the other guy is clearly uncomfortable and wants to get rid of this nut asap.

Is there anyone else (besides Cersei) whose self-image is so clearly contradicted by the way people around them act?

Melisandre, but only in regards to her relationship with the Lord of Light. As much as she likes to kick at the ground when the subject of her powers comes up, she clearly thinks of herself as divinely powerful and effective person. She certainly has that effect on people, but so far a lot of her power is sheer charisma and exoticism paired with Asshaian shadowmancy, which is apparently a common thing over there (at least according to the few accounts of Asshai that we've seen). Her actual divine connection, the visions, have been really dubious.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

paco650 posted:

Melisandre, but only in regards to her relationship with the Lord of Light. As much as she likes to kick at the ground when the subject of her powers comes up, she clearly thinks of herself as divinely powerful and effective person. She certainly has that effect on people, but so far a lot of her power is sheer charisma and exoticism paired with Asshaian shadowmancy, which is apparently a common thing over there (at least according to the few accounts of Asshai that we've seen). Her actual divine connection, the visions, have been really dubious.

One of my favorite lines from Jon is when Mel is saying she sees Patch face being shady as poo poo in her fires and Jon basically says " You see fools in your fires but not Stannis."

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Have any of you heard this rumor?

quote:

But rumor has it Jon will find something even more spectacular at Hardhome. That rumor promises the Night’s King will show his face and Tormund will sacrifice himself in flames so Jon can escape from the wights.

This sounds pretty crazy, but its not like the show has to adhere to much anymore.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Renly was pretty delusional

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

zVxTeflon posted:

Renly was pretty delusional

Was still probably the best real King candidate.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Renly only works on paper. He'd get steamrolled if a real threat loomed over the realm (dragons/others/wildling invasion).

I loved Renly and Robb but if they would've survived the war of the 5 Kings, they'd both either suffer a Field of Fire 2, or get to the wall just in time to see undead Jon Snow blow the horn of Gondor and shatter the wall, letting Sauron and his Orcgoblins conquer Midgard.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

How do you become King? By getting enough people to call you King. Renly was deluded perhaps, but royalty is just a shared delusion. He'd have been the best King since Aegon II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Renly would set a precedent that people can just decide they're king by force of arms, though. I mean, that's already kinda true since the First Men, Andals, and Targaryens all just decided they were rulers because they had the best weapons, but Renly would be directly making the statement that primogeniture doesn't matter, which could lead to every new king having to fight his siblings to hold the throne. I mean, I don't really blame him on that score since he thought Stannis was doing the same thing and he's a king who's capable of getting way more people on his side than Stannis could at that point, but still. His whole "I'm charming and my boyfriend's family has a huge army so that makes me king" thing has serious downsides.

• Locked thread