Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

dexter6 posted:

Not a credit card question, per se, but related.

I'm headed to Thailand for 2 weeks in a few days. The way I see it, I can handle expenses a few ways:

- Bring credit card and pay 3% foreign transaction fee (but get 1% - x% cash back)
- Take out bunch of cash for free and bring it with me, exchange as needed (for a fee)
- Withdraw cash over there (but get charged non-Wells Fargo ATM fee, and the local ATM fee)

Any thoughts?

Like another poster said, you can pay for your classier hotels (and fancy bars/restaurants) on a credit card, primarily Thailand is going to be cash based though.

It sounds kinda "duh" but be sure Wells Fargo knows you're going to be there, and always have a spare $100-200 cash or traveler's check just in case things go wrong (traveler's checks are rapidly going the way of the dodo but one is nice to have for emergencies). I studied in Bangkok for a year in college and around the 8 month mark Wells Fargo randomly decided to shut my card down for suspicious activity (:iiam:, I told them I was going to be there had been using Thai ATM's the whole time to fund myself), it took a whole week to resolve.

Thailand travel tip: 7-11's are the best place to break the 1,000 baht notes you get from ATM's, they can otherwise be pretty unwieldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Is it possible to get a Chase Sapphire card with a 0% introductory APR?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
My friend can't stop talking about his Starwoods Preferred Guest card. Says he used it for literally everything last year and got a couple of misc Sheraton stays for free thanks to their program.
1) How bad is having an AMEX vs Visa card? He says its not a big deal, but I don't want to go this direction if I'm going to have to constantly use another card for clothes, food, etc.
2) Would I be better off doing just the straight up 2% cash back cards?

For the record, I have only a generic Wells Fargo credit card and as a grown rear end man should probably be proactive with a new card so I can get some real benefit. Simple cash back, airline/hotel AMEX like Starwoods or do I do like my friend and get one of each?

cheese fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 28, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

cheese posted:

My friend can't stop talking about his Starwoods Preferred Guest card. Says he used it for literally everything last year and got a couple of misc Sheraton stays for free thanks to their program.
1) How bad is having an AMEX vs Visa card? He says its not a big deal, but I don't want to go this direction if I'm going to have to constantly use another card for clothes, food, etc.
2) Would I be better off doing just the straight up 2% cash back cards?

For the record, I have only a generic Wells Fargo credit card and as a grown rear end man should probably be proactive with a new card so I can get some real benefit. Simple cash back, airline/hotel AMEX like Starwoods or do I do like my friend and get one of each?

SPG points are the most valuable out of all of these loyalty programs, so they're pretty good. You're probably better off doing 2% cash back unless you have a plan on how to spend those points and you can fulfill the requirements for the 25k free SPG points when you open the Amex.

If you do a lot of hole-in-the-wall dining, they probably won't take your Amex. In n Out Burger doesn't take Amex. You would have to carry a Visa card on you if you had an Amex, so maybe you want to do both cards?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Let the card fit your lifestyle. If you spend a lot of money with Sheraton, sure why not. But if you don't, why bother?

If a standard cashback card gets you two percent back.... Well that's good too! And I bet you buy a lot more groceries than hotel stays.

Edit: Everyone should probably do the math on the Amex Blue Cash Preferred with the 6% back on groceries and 3% on gas as a good first fee card.

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 1, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Thanks for the advice. I eat out a lot, but I would imagine my actual "grocery" bill is pretty drat small. The 1.5% quicksilver seems nice but doing some quick napkin math, it wouldn't take long at all for the 2% back on the Citi Double Cash Card to eclipse the 100 dollar bonus from Quicksilver. I think I will save the hotel group card for my future baller lifestyle that I'm sure is around the corner.

I know you are not supposed to cancel a card, but just how damaging would it be if I eventually canceled my Wells Fargo card? Or should I just put the card in my lock box and let it rot?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Make a purchase once in a while and keep it active. Generally there seems to be no harm in keeping it open but the potential for pain if you close it.

Also note that you can get restaurant gift cards at the grocery store....

Just saying.

And the Hyatt card gives you a free night a year for.... Just keeping the card open!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

cheese posted:

I know you are not supposed to cancel a card, but just how damaging would it be if I eventually canceled my Wells Fargo card? Or should I just put the card in my lock box and let it rot?

Do like my first CC and enable autopay, and put a cheap recurring bill on there (e.g. Netflix) so they don't shut it down for inactivity, but you're also not too far on the hook if something goes wrong with the payments and you don't notice for a while.

If you don't want to bother tracking the card through Mint or online/paper statements, or you're worried that if ID theft or some other fraud on the account could occur without you noticing on a seldom-used account, then just close it down. The good history it has continues in your report for a long time.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

Kudaros posted:

Is it possible to get a Chase Sapphire card with a 0% introductory APR?

If you are looking at the APR on a rewards card you are doing it wrong

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

cheese posted:

Thanks for the advice. I eat out a lot, but I would imagine my actual "grocery" bill is pretty drat small. The 1.5% quicksilver seems nice but doing some quick napkin math, it wouldn't take long at all for the 2% back on the Citi Double Cash Card to eclipse the 100 dollar bonus from Quicksilver. I think I will save the hotel group card for my future baller lifestyle that I'm sure is around the corner.

If my math is right, it would take $20k of spending to where the Citi evens out with the Quicksilver. After that the Citi is the better card. That's if you have to choose one or the other. You can always get both, run the QS up to get the $100, then use the Citi after that.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Q: How long has it taken you guys to get BA Avios points posted after meeting the BA Chase card signup promo? FAQ says 6-8wks, is that realistic?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

Q: How long has it taken you guys to get BA Avios points posted after meeting the BA Chase card signup promo? FAQ says 6-8wks, is that realistic?

I got my card in late January and according to the Chase site they've posted to my account. Unfortunately can't confirm since BA ain't letting me log in, nor is it sending me the emails I need to change my password, sigh.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 2, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pretty much the only places we deal with that don't take Amex are some small restaurants. And occasional internet sites. But not a big deal.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I got my card in late January and according to the Chase site they've posted to my account. Unfortunately can't confirm since BA ain't letting me log in, nor is it sending me the emails I need to change my password, sigh.
Sweet. Hopefully mine posts soon too. My first billing cycle ended yesterday, received card first week of Feb.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

smackfu posted:

Pretty much the only places we deal with that don't take Amex are some small restaurants. And occasional internet sites. But not a big deal.

Same here, it's never really been a problem.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I got the 50k bonus from the Barclays usair MC, the 50k bonus from the citi aadvantage will be complete this month after I complete the $2000 spend. Now that I'll have flights, I want to get a hotel rewards card. Is there anything stopping me from essentially double dipping on rewards and getting both Hilton cards (citi and Amex) for the bonuses (pending acceptance of course)?

I ordered an Amex serve card, but unfortunately I'm not in a target red card market, so I'm going to have to look elsewhere to manufacture spending. A valid SSN is all that's needed for additional serve cards right? What's to stop me from getting one for each of my family members (with their permission) and maxing out new CC app bonuses by charging $1000/month on each one? Do the CC companies ever wise up to this stuff? It seems like no, as there are many blogs about it, but I don't know.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I just did the Starwood Amex card because you get 10k points for your first purchase and another 15k points after you hit your spending target.

Plus SPG points transfer to any airline 1:1 and come with a 5k bonus for each 20k you transfer. So, I really got 30k points instead of 25k, and can throw them right on top of my 50k for US and 50k for American once the airlines finish merger in a few weeks.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Cacafuego posted:

I got the 50k bonus from the Barclays usair MC, the 50k bonus from the citi aadvantage will be complete this month after I complete the $2000 spend. Now that I'll have flights, I want to get a hotel rewards card. Is there anything stopping me from essentially double dipping on rewards and getting both Hilton cards (citi and Amex) for the bonuses (pending acceptance of course)?

I ordered an Amex serve card, but unfortunately I'm not in a target red card market, so I'm going to have to look elsewhere to manufacture spending. A valid SSN is all that's needed for additional serve cards right? What's to stop me from getting one for each of my family members (with their permission) and maxing out new CC app bonuses by charging $1000/month on each one? Do the CC companies ever wise up to this stuff? It seems like no, as there are many blogs about it, but I don't know.
I'm not associated with this, but, you may do this: http://www.redbirds.me/

I am having my friends mom send me/gf RedCards from a target market.

Serve made me call to verify my ID/card with them, I could see you needing to do that for every card signed up for. I have no idea though, maybe I was a special case. I will have spent 2k via Serve as of the 5th!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

Sweet. Hopefully mine posts soon too. My first billing cycle ended yesterday, received card first week of Feb.

Was able to login by searching my email for my member number (said email address would have been OK on the site, but clearly not...), in case that happens to someone else

Been looking at the new terms, looks like it gets crappier for earning miles via flying with BA if you're in the cheaper seats (not really an issue for me, I do fly in the cheapest seats but pretty infrequently, so they're not a big part of my overall mileage), although the new off-peak Avios rates are nice. It appears Avios spends are going up for Business/First, which doesn't effect me.

Apparently both accounts need to be at least 3 months old to transfer Avios from Iberian to BA (or vice versa), so I guess I'll still have a bit of a wait once that 12k I got for the Economist sub posts to my Iberian account. BA's backwards rewards booking site basically doesn't let you see partner airlines flights, so I'll have to make a call at that point.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Can you feed a Redbird with an Amex CC? I thought I read that Amex will shut that loop down if they catch you doing it, but it was just fine for Visa and MC.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Blinkman987 posted:

Can you feed a Redbird with an Amex CC? I thought I read that Amex will shut that loop down if they catch you doing it, but it was just fine for Visa and MC.

No problems loading with Amex, just better to withdrawal to your bank and not directly pay your statement with it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/03/02/costco-citi-visa-deal/24253649/

Costco is swapping their co-branded AMEX for Visa. That's pretty great, because the Costco AMEX was a pretty good rewards card and I expect the new Visa to be the same.

I bet this also means that I could use my Chase Freedom Visa at Costco, which is pretty cool.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have 30k or so miles from the AA card, but what's the best way to use them?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

smackfu posted:

I have 30k or so miles from the AA card, but what's the best way to use them?

Probably domestic AA flights? Miles tend to devalue horribly if you redeem them for other uses.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Follow up for the Threads Knowledge: I signed up for my card the last weekend in January, and received it in early Feb. Bill cycle is the first of the month. $2k was spent within the first 3 weeks. Bonus will be transferred to Avios with my next billing statement on 4/1/15. Pft, but whatever.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Can someone explain how rewards miles work?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The original way was that you got one mile for each mile you flew, and then you could trade them in for a flight, usually 25,000 miles for a fight within the U.S. Great for business travelers since the flew a lot on their employers dime and got to keep the free trips.

Now you can earn miles with a credit card, usually a mile per dollar, and it often is more miles to redeem if you want to pick what day your flight is, but that's the gist.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I've accumulated a handful of miles (5000-ish) on United that I'd like to part with. That balance is probably too low for most exchange sites so I may just see if my parents want to buy them. Is 2 cents/mile fair for both parties? Or are there better options?

Looks like I've got about 21k with Delta, so same question there I guess.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For the really low balance one, are there any magazines you want? That's usually a good way to use up a small amount of miles.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
How do you plan on getting them to your parent's account?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

smackfu posted:

For the really low balance one, are there any magazines you want? That's usually a good way to use up a small amount of miles.

Nah, not really. Cashing them out would be optimal. Even if they're only worth a penny per mile that's still fifty bucks.

Pissingintowind posted:

How do you plan on getting them to your parent's account?

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/transfer/default.aspx

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Take a look at the price.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yikes, $100 to transfer 5000 miles. So that's $0.02 per mile just in costs.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I just jumped on the Citi Double Cash bandwagon now that I'm confident in my ability to not use said card like a dumbass. 2% cash back yaaay.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Pissingintowind posted:

Take a look at the price.

drat, didn't read the not-so-fine print.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I have two credit cards right now that I've been using (AMEX Blue cash everyday and a pretty standard Visa which is my oldest card) and am looking to get the Discover it card in the future. I know they used to have a signing bonus but they don't at the moment...do they do it seasonally or is it just probably not happening again?

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

Blindeye posted:

I have two credit cards right now that I've been using (AMEX Blue cash everyday and a pretty standard Visa which is my oldest card) and am looking to get the Discover it card in the future. I know they used to have a signing bonus but they don't at the moment...do they do it seasonally or is it just probably not happening again?

Lots of cards have referral signup bonuses for existing cardholders. I just checked Discover, and they do a $50 for both the person making the referral and the person being referred. So if you know someone who has one, ask them and them make them buy you lunch. A year ago I got a $150 signup bonus for not a lot of spend. Maybe $750? There was an alternative signup that I recall without the signup bonus but with a longer period of 0%, so it seems they do different offers. I think the Discover Miles card at 3% back for the first year (and half of that only credited to your account after 12 months) is their attempt to run a signup bonus that encourages longer-term use.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Looks like there is now less than a month left to apply for the Barclaycard US Airways Dividend Miles card with 50,000 point sign up bonus (after first purchase and annual fee payment of $89).

The US Airways and AAdvantage programs are merging around the end of April so your Dividend Miles will become AAdvantage points around then.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

nickutz posted:

Looks like there is now less than a month left to apply for the Barclaycard US Airways Dividend Miles card with 50,000 point sign up bonus (after first purchase and annual fee payment of $89).

The US Airways and AAdvantage programs are merging around the end of April so your Dividend Miles will become AAdvantage points around then.
"Within the next thirty days" so possibly sooner than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nickutz posted:

It's becoming the AAviator MC which will be unavailable for anyone but current USAir Barclaycard holders. And I believe all purchases are 2x miles until June on this card through the transition.

e: Is anyone familiar with Amex Serve? Is the monthly online load limit refreshed on the beginning of the calendar month?

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 13, 2015