Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Many of the parts of Absolute HD for Doom 3 conflict with each other, not just the HUD. I can't believe this is the most popular mod on ModDB--it breaks many of Sikkmod's gameplay options and features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CyRaptor posted:

really cool stuff
That was me. Thanks a bunch for putting in the effort to get these up, I really appreciate it! Can't wait to get into em.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So as a total aside, i played The Birth before i was emotionally mature enough to handle that intro (Also i think i was 14, Atomic edition came out in 1997 right?).

That loving intro haunted me for along time afterwards. :stare:

Anyone else with similar stories? :allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 10, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I just got two copies of Zero Tolerance for the Sega Genesis. Arguably the first original console FPS released in North America. In 1994. It features things like jumping, ducking, melee combos, persistent blood on walls and floors from hurt enemies, bouncing grenades, night vision, a flashlight, and a full inventory system. Hugely ahead of it's time.

Why did I get two copies? Because it's the only Genesis game that can use a system link cable to play coop.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Kazvall posted:

Arguably the first original console FPS released in North America.
What, does Faceball 2000 not count?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Linguica posted:

What, does Faceball 2000 not count?

ORIGINAL! That's a port, my friend.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Thyrork posted:

So as a total aside, i played The Birth before i was emotionally mature enough to handle that intro (Also i think i was 14, Atomic edition came out in 1997 right?).

That loving intro haunted me for along time afterwards. :stare:

Anyone else with similar stories? :allears:

Oh god, the same thing happened to me. I still skip it, but it's so I can start playing instead of watching awkward and very choppy mid-90s CGI.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm thinking of restarting SiN using the expansion, since I discovered only after playing a decent chunk of the game that you could do that. I still think the game feels slightly off, though I really want to like it a lot. I think this for a lot of older games, but a source port would be really cool. Smooth out some of the rough edges, have widescreen that works 100%... I think it's one of those games that could really get a second life if it got a really good chance.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

closeted republican posted:

Oh god, the same thing happened to me. I still skip it, but it's so I can start playing instead of watching awkward and very choppy mid-90s CGI.

I like how the general is like, "this footage was shot by an undercover operative" and it cuts to a group of alien drones gathered around a woman writhing on a table. How exactly was the agent "undercover"? Was he dressed like an alien drone or something? With a huge video camera?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The SiN multiplayer maps are really fun to explore. Never really got a chance to play them with other people though.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

catlord posted:

I'm thinking of restarting SiN using the expansion, since I discovered only after playing a decent chunk of the game that you could do that.
I don't think Wages adds anything to the original campaign except the ability to dual-wield Magnums, and more Blade one-liners. Granted, these are both very welcome additions, but I'm just saying, you're not going to see much difference.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

I'm thinking of restarting SiN using the expansion, since I discovered only after playing a decent chunk of the game that you could do that. I still think the game feels slightly off, though I really want to like it a lot. I think this for a lot of older games, but a source port would be really cool. Smooth out some of the rough edges, have widescreen that works 100%... I think it's one of those games that could really get a second life if it got a really good chance.

Patches and source ports that add stuff like proper widescreen make games way more enjoyable. I recently replayed Daikatana with the 1.3 patch that adds things like support for modern resoluations, and the game is much better when the graphics aren't either cloudy and muddy crap (fullscreen) or too small to fit over your screen (windowed) because of no widescreen support.

I've been replying Sin as well (though stopped because of issues with my gaming PC ATM), and I really would love to play it in widescreen because of how irritating the game can look in non-widescreen at times.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Can't you make SiN use a widescreen/high resolution with the Glide wrapper? Though, I can't get SiN to run at all without a glide wrapper.

Oh, someone made a patcher, GOG uses 1.11

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

Can't you make SiN use a widescreen/high resolution with the Glide wrapper? Though, I can't get SiN to run at all without a glide wrapper.

Oh nice, that fix works for the GoG version as well. I remember reading about it working with the Steam version, but that was before it came out on GoG and I never bothered to check when it appeared on GoG.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Elliotw2 posted:

Does the Glide wrapper actually do real widescreen and all that? I thought it just stretched things. Or at least I've been assuming that's part of the reason it feels slightly off to me. As for the patcher, I just tried it out and it mostly works really nice. I had to use it in normal GL mode, Glide mode doesn't like you messing with stuff, but I can live with slightly less great graphics in exchange for actual widescreen (same with Undying), but computers do something different and, though the first one I tried out was perfectly usable, I could see it being an issue when there's stuff at the top or bottom where it gets cut off.

It's a neat game though, like I said, I'm mostly liking it, I just feel like there's something slightly off and I'm not quite sure if it's some graphics thing, some gameplay thing or what.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I feel that one big problem with Sin is that there's barely any feedback for receiving damage. The screen seems to never flash when hit, and Blade's bored "ugh!" sounds when he gets hit don't indicate how much damage he's actually taking. Even something as simple as adding the damage sound changing depending on how much health you have left, like in iD's post Quake 1 games, would've made a big help for seeing how much damage I'm actually taking.

There's been several cases where I thought I got through a firefight or two with only a small amount of damage, but then I look at my stats and find that my armor is mostly gone and my health went from 100 to 44, even though when I was fighting, it felt like I only took minor damage. It's first really noticable when you're fighting mutant Mancini, as his punches seem to do about 40 damage on Normal, but the feedback is exactly the same as getting hit by the pistol-wielding trash enemies from the bank.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Wildweasel is apparently sick of trying to keep WW-Nazis up to date with all the different variations of it running around, and I'm thinking I might be interested forking it and making a official maintained version. Might be a good first dip of my toes into modding.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kazvall posted:

I just got two copies of Zero Tolerance for the Sega Genesis. Arguably the first original console FPS released in North America. In 1994. It features things like jumping, ducking, melee combos, persistent blood on walls and floors from hurt enemies, bouncing grenades, night vision, a flashlight, and a full inventory system. Hugely ahead of it's time.

Why did I get two copies? Because it's the only Genesis game that can use a system link cable to play coop.

Oh my god, I loved Zero Tolerance :allears: I always wanted someone else I knew to own it so we could play against each other, I thought that would have been absolutely amazing. I don't remember it allowing jumping, but it's incredible how much functionality you'd get out of a 3-button controller. I'd love to see the end someday. I remember making it to the second (or third?) tower. It's been forever since I've played it.

I have strong memories of playing through it while listening to Mellon Collie in its entirety. Anyone else have that? Ken's Labyrinth reminds me of Green Day's Dookie, ZT reminds me of MCIS (specifically "We only come out at night", which, in turn, reminds me of ZT now). And I would play the Lost Highway soundtrack over and over again while building levels in Duke Nukem 3D, so now, basically anything David Lynch-related reminds me of Duke, and vice-versa.

EDIT: Also, while I know it's GBS, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3704916

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have strong memories of playing through it while listening to Mellon Collie in its entirety. Anyone else have that? Ken's Labyrinth reminds me of Green Day's Dookie, ZT reminds me of MCIS (specifically "We only come out at night", which, in turn, reminds me of ZT now). And I would play the Lost Highway soundtrack over and over again while building levels in Duke Nukem 3D, so now, basically anything David Lynch-related reminds me of Duke, and vice-versa.

We're finally reaching a point in video game music appreciation where we see the importance of its presence in our games. Despite yours not being exactly video game music, you associate music to your experiences with a game. For me specifically, one example is the Dangerous Minds soundtrack while playing MGS on PS1, in addition to the amazing music of the game. Music is quite a powerful thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Commander Keenan posted:

We're finally reaching a point in video game music appreciation where we see the importance of its presence in our games. Despite yours not being exactly video game music, you associate music to your experiences with a game. For me specifically, one example is the Dangerous Minds soundtrack while playing MGS on PS1, in addition to the amazing music of the game. Music is quite a powerful thing.

Absolutely. What's ironic about me not listening to game soundtracks back then (even though I did, just not always) is that I now do a bit of video game scoring. I have to say, though, that I only really played 'outside' music during a game that I had already played to death. For any new game, I'd usually stick to the soundtrack.

Not FPS related, but I actually played a lot of Ocarina of Time to Radiohead's OK Computer, so that would be one of my exceptions. At the time, I was sad that the Legend of Zelda theme wasn't actually in the game, and almost all of the music was new to me, as I hadn't played LttP that much beforehand (I was a Genesis kid, not a SNES kid).

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Oh hey, I made that (with tons of help from Baldurk).

Honestly, it just simulates a hexedit on one of the in-game resolutions' X and Y values. It works great for stuff like combat, but unfortunately some of the UI elements from stuff like ATMs, computers and the sort get cut off. :(

Also, if you're gonna be playing Sin on a modern computer, make sure you limit the max framerate, or the game will start behaving as if you're lagging online really badly.

catlord posted:

... but computers do something different and, though the first one I tried out was perfectly usable, I could see it being an issue when there's stuff at the top or bottom where it gets cut off.
Yeah, I haven't found a way to fix that yet. Hell, the patching method was something I saw someone else do to Kingpin I think, and luckily it worked for Sin too, except for those elements not working correctly.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 10, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Absolutely. What's ironic about me not listening to game soundtracks back then (even though I did, just not always) is that I now do a bit of video game scoring. I have to say, though, that I only really played 'outside' music during a game that I had already played to death. For any new game, I'd usually stick to the soundtrack.

Not FPS related, but I actually played a lot of Ocarina of Time to Radiohead's OK Computer, so that would be one of my exceptions. At the time, I was sad that the Legend of Zelda theme wasn't actually in the game, and almost all of the music was new to me, as I hadn't played LttP that much beforehand (I was a Genesis kid, not a SNES kid).

I can't play SNES Mario RPG without thinking about Matchbox 20's You or Someone Like Yourself because I had that poo poo on loop in the 90s while playing it.

Same with The Black Mages first album and Final Fantasy XI. I listened to that album like every time I played it, and now my Final Fantasy music memory is all screwy because I associate things like Clash on the Big Bridge with Rollanberry Fields, not FFV Gilgamesh.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

catlord posted:

It's a neat game though, like I said, I'm mostly liking it, I just feel like there's something slightly off and I'm not quite sure if it's some graphics thing, some gameplay thing or what.

Maybe try software mode. If I use any of the hardware modes there's some microstuttering and the framerate is just uneven enough for the game to feel wrong.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kazvall posted:

This sounds amazing.

Spyro the Dragon with Gorillaz self-titled

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

For me, the canon soundtrack for Deus Ex will always be Aerosmith's Greatest Hits, for ZPC it's Styx's Greatest Hits, and for Tactical Ops it's Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill

And I'm just only now aware that, as a teenage boy, I was apparently a middle aged woman

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Not listening to the actual soundtrack to Deus Ex is grounds for execution.

I wish there were more games that didn't have subtle audio cues, because putting on some music you enjoy and playing something it doesn't clash with is great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DoombatINC posted:

For me, the canon soundtrack for Deus Ex will always be Aerosmith's Greatest Hits, for ZPC it's Styx's Greatest Hits, and for Tactical Ops it's Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill

And I'm just only now aware that, as a teenage boy, I was apparently a middle aged woman

Love in an elevator

Man the Deus Ex soundtrack is so great though, so moody. So many 90s atmospheric tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1oxIrAX39M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWRTXVyGVBM

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Love in an Elevator is clearly the song for Mass Effect 1.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I first learned about the CD music system in Quake 1 when my dad left some 80s compilation CD in the drive.

As it so turns out, the act of lobbing grenades at mutants and The J. Geils Band's "Centerfold" go together like water and oil.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Modest Mouse's The Fruit that Ate Itself + Eternal Doom. Discovered Modest Mouse and ZDoom at the same time, still two of my favorite things :3:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

I first learned about the CD music system in Quake 1 when my dad left some 80s compilation CD in the drive.

As it so turns out, the act of lobbing grenades at mutants and The J. Geils Band's "Centerfold" go together like water and oil.

Congrats, you accidentally made JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

Oh god... see, this is one of those songs that I've heard a million times, but never knew the name of.

THANKS, JERK! :argh:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Is that a new Descent kickstarter?

It is!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Neat but they should really list under the potential challenges something like, "We don't actually own the IP for Descent and will probably be shut down." Seems like pretty brazen use of the Descent IP and images.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Neat but they should really list under the potential challenges something like, "We don't actually own the IP for Descent and will probably be shut down." Seems like pretty brazen use of the Descent IP and images.

Wait what? They don't?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

Wait what? They don't?

"DESCENT is a registered trademark or trademark of Interplay Entertainment Corp. in the U.S. and other countries, and is used under license. All rights reserved."

I'm confused

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Man, capture the flag, assault, and loadouts are totally what I think of when you say Descent.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
these fuckers are stealing the thunder from the actually cool guys over at Sol Contingency, all because they were able to wrestle the rights to make a Descent game from Interplay. that is incredibly lovely.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'd really like to be excited about that but to me Descent is all about blowing up robots and getting dizzy, not resource gathering progression metagames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

horse mans posted:

Wildweasel is apparently sick of trying to keep WW-Nazis up to date with all the different variations of it running around, and I'm thinking I might be interested forking it and making a official maintained version. Might be a good first dip of my toes into modding.

That's a good place to start for your first time. I started with Weasel's Stranger, but Nazis! is pretty simple as well so it'll be an excellent jumping point.
If you need any help, hit me up on Steam or Skype (guess the username) and let me know if you have any questions/problems. Weasel's mods are, like, holy ground to me, so I'd be eager to help out in any way I can.