Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Armyman25 posted:

The thing is, using bread bags as boot liners was a thing in Iowa. We used to do it when I was growing up in Sioux City in the 80s. It's a regional quirk that's probably a bit out of date, but it's really weird seeing the rest of the country act like it's something so strange. It was just a cheap way to keep your feet dry in the rain and slush.

I used bags sometimes (much-inferior wal-mart bags: bread bags saved for the kitchen). Its a mildly common rural thing and not that weird

conservatives latched unto it because its an amusing way to celebrate the resourcefulness of rural folk while reinforcing how out-of-touch the liberals are with Real America.

liberals latched onto it because it seems (since many mainstream liberal commentators are, in fact, out of touch) quaint and crude and illustrative of conservative bumpkin-ness, plus some degree of "vote Democrat so you can afford better boots"

its team-identity politcs in its purest and most petty form.

The really weird thing is Ernst's original usage of the anecdote, which seemed to be a totally un-self-aware celebration of the perverse way the GoP has learned to use the pride of the rural poor to get that constituency to celebrate and perpetuate its own poverty

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

we used to use ziplock bags rubberbanded around our ankles as a kid.

It's not even a rural poor thing; that's just a great way to keep your feet dry in the snow.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

there are two factions to the republican party to keep in mind for 2016, the establishment, who have rallied around jeb, and the tea party, who have rallied around themselves. Walker is the only candidate who can talk both Tea Party and Establishment, so he's a strong contender for future R veep.

One of the biggest issues the GOP is going to run into is that nobody but the Tea Party likes the Tea Party much. Yeah there are people who would vote R if you put Hitler up because gently caress Democrats but there are people in the middle who are going to just flat out refuse to even consider a psychotic Tea Party candidate. There are states that go Republican by default but those are not the ones that win elections. The GOP is going to have a very hard time convincing enough non-crazy people to vote crazy if a crazy ends up on the ticket. However, they're going to have a hard time convincing the crazies within the party to not primary a non-crazy into oblivion. They're kind of suffering for unleashing the Tea Party at this point and can't put the monster back in the box. The Tea Party for their part believe they deserve to win every election forever by default and if they lose it's because the GOP was forcing them to be Not Conservative Enough.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's not even a rural poor thing; that's just a great way to keep your feet dry in the snow.

Apparently someone needs to introduce galoshes to large parts of the country.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Arkane posted:

Huntsman turned out to be a bad candidate, but he was a good bet. My thesis was that the winner of NH was ~always gonna be the 2012 nominee, because the Republicans needed an electable candidate and NH punches that card. If Romney had stumbled & Huntsman was a good candidate, Huntsman would've won NH.

Easy to be critical with hindsight.

If I was betting on someone to be the nominee this time around given the relative odds, it'd be Marco Rubio. He is a good orator, personable, and telegenic. One can't ignore how much looks and relate-ability play into these things. It is much harder to figure things out this year, because the Republicans have at least 3 candidates who are theoretically electable.

Marco Rubio is telegenic??

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PupsOfWar posted:

I used bags sometimes (much-inferior wal-mart bags: bread bags saved for the kitchen). Its a mildly common rural thing and not that weird

conservatives latched unto it because its an amusing way to celebrate the resourcefulness of rural folk while reinforcing how out-of-touch the liberals are with Real America.

liberals latched onto it because it seems (since many mainstream liberal commentators are, in fact, out of touch) quaint and crude and illustrative of conservative bumpkin-ness, plus some degree of "vote Democrat so you can afford better boots"

Everyone knows good liberals still use spats, while driving our limousines to our liberal award shows.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

messagemode1 posted:

For a Republican, yes. He's under 50.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
His hairline is rapidly expiring, however. He's going to have to comb to the side before long.

Joementum posted:

Bobby Jindal has a super PAC that's either promoting a Presidential run or a management seminar. It's kind of hard to tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz9sfW91y84

I skipped to the middle and heard him say "I am tired of hyphenated Americans." My goodness what a useful little man Piyush "Bobby" Jindal is.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Conventional wisdoms says a hair piece is what makes a real Republican president.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Oh look at Mr Moneybags here with his rubber bands and "Ziplock" brand bags.
I think using left over plastic bags as boot liners is something most poor kids in snowy areas did at one time or another.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I did it myself and I've done it with my kids when I couldn't find their boots because I can never find kid anything.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Cliff Racer posted:

Really, because they just voted out a sitting Democratic senator who wasn't exactly unpopular before the campaign began.

Do you think that Alaska is going blue (like Pillowpantz sez) because it voted to legalize marijuana too?

you do realize the difference between midterm and presidential elections right?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Apparently someone needs to introduce galoshes to large parts of the country.

I grew up in a much poorer and more rural place than Ernst and people here would look at you like you're an idiot if you showed up with wonder bread bags on your feet. There's being resourceful and there's having a lick of common sense. Ages ago they used to use little plastic booties for hog farm workers to cover their feet when they had to get into the wallers or clean out pens, but surprise surprise they have zero traction and tear easily. So people just started using fishing boots instead. I can't imagine walking around on bread bags with ice all over the ground like you'd get in Iowa.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
For us it was sock, then bag, then sock, then shoe.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
I know I'm not known for sane opinions on here, but that makes me a perfect fit for talking about Florida, right?

Now, I will freely admit that I only know South Florida from some relatives who live there, and from what I read online and hear about here on SA. For all I know, I cannot imagine a Republican sweeping the minority-majority counties down South, nor do I hear ANYTHING like I used to 15 years ago about the old Cubanos voting R, and I mean, Obama can just play around with opening talks back up, and there weren't any pitchforks at all. The Hispanic people I know don't even know any Cuban people, because that's not the Hispanic population of Central and North Florida, where I've actually lived.

But holy poo poo. I was an Obamatar, and actively campaigned in 2008, knocking doors, hosting meetings, etc, and if you don't know North Florida, then really, just imagine the Southern Baptistiest, WASPiest, redneckiest place imaginable, and you have a huge hunk of the population. The guy who actually triggered the Benghazi attack with his hosed UP Quran burning movie bullshit is like dead center Gainesville. One of these people I know was an active campaigner for Ted loving Yoho, if that gives you a sense of what "normal" looks like here. Basically, you have a pretty wide range of people in terms of SES all united by their very politically active churches. These are the people who voted in the assholes in 2010 and 2014. They are already at maximum poll influence as far as I can tell; I mean, we had these teachers who would take a half-day off every Election Day, like months in advance, to drive buses and get EVERY PARISHONER to the polls. I guess what I'm trying to say is that these people will be at the polls hammering everything that looks like an R, no matter what the ad budget looks like.

On the other hand, a lot of the minority voters whose doors I'd knocked had never voted before, but just a month or two before the election, had HEARD about Obama, and wanted yard signs. OFA arranged busing. If it hadn't been for a very robust and well-organized ground game, I genuinely do not think my county would have gone blue. Now, we know that OFA has not maintained its same level of organization and openness to other candidates, and I can't imagine it just being handed over to Clinton.

I know there's supposed to be some kind of mushy middle in Florida, but I'm not sure where to find it. I mean, you have a state where the right wing has really managed to get some serious yokels like Yoho and Rick Scott, and they are like pigs in poo poo, rolling around and enjoying their victories; you can't live off the grid in FL, they cut the solar power subsidies, you can't talk about global warming... Meanwhile there's another half of the population who straight up hate these people. Then you've got all your students and working poor in constant transit all over the state, and it seems to really come down to a very effective GOTV campaign. I genuinely believe that it won't be the hundreds of millions in ads that shifts the vote in FL, but whoever has the best boots on the ground.

And let's not forget the context for someone like former governor Jeb Bush: he's not the guy everyone loved. That was Lawton Chiles, who, if I'm to listen to old people on either side, presided over some kind of wonderland time for them. Who knows how much bullshit that is, but that's the story. Jeb presided over the dot com crash and the mini-recession, and was pretty much simultaneously in office with his brother. For Floridians, W's term meant Jeb as governor, which makes his attempt to get some daylight between them even harder.

I'm sure people can correct me with a load of great sources, but as far as I can tell, anecdotally, the GOP doesn't seem like they have a lot of votes they CAN win or minds they can change. Their target demographic is already banging on all cylinders, voting in every midterm, etc. If Hillary can work the state and just loving be exciting or promising enough to lure people out to the polls, I can't see Florida going red again. But of course, there was a lot of over-promising from Obama, and correct or not, there are a lot of first-time voters from 2008 who may not come out to vote for anyone else.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Quidam Viator posted:

I'm sure people can correct me with a load of great sources, but as far as I can tell, anecdotally, the GOP doesn't seem like they have a lot of votes they CAN win or minds they can change. Their target demographic is already banging on all cylinders, voting in every midterm, etc. If Hillary can work the state and just loving be exciting or promising enough to lure people out to the polls, I can't see Florida going red again. But of course, there was a lot of over-promising from Obama, and correct or not, there are a lot of first-time voters from 2008 who may not come out to vote for anyone else.

I live in North Florida and this place is absolutely incredible. The entire non-beach area exists solely because of U.S. military bases but the government is "plumb drat EVIL." Oh, the stories I could tell about dealing with backwoods hillbilly Republicans, Lord God.

Back in 2008 I had a business owner tell me that last year she had made $320,000 but that THIS year she was going to limit it to $249,999 because she didn't want to give Obama $70,000 in taxes. I realized she did not have a clue about how taxes worked so I grabbed some paper and showed her, you know, how the tax system actually worked and that you'd be a loving idiot to voluntarily not make $70,000 extra dollars due to $2-3,000 extra worth of taxes. Her response was, "As long as none of my money goes to help anyone else I'm okay with that."

Note: Not "as long as none of my money gets wasted" or "as long as none of my money vanishes into the money hole of Iraq and Afghanistan" or "as long as none of my money is doused in oil and set on fire to provide heat and light."

"As long as none of my money goes to help anyone else I'm okay with that."

That's the moment I realized things had shifted from "gently caress you, got mine" to simply "gently caress you." Modern-day Republicans seem so insanely selfish they'd step over their own burning children if slowing to extinguish them would cost a loving nickel.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hillary to reportedly address her email controversy today:

quote:

WASHINGTON, March 10 (Reuters) - Hillary Clinton, a likely 2016 White House candidate, on Tuesday plans to address her use of private email during her time at the U.S. State Department in a press conference following a speech at the United Nations, according to media reports.

CBS News, MSNBC and CNN, citing a Clinton aide and other unnamed sources, said Clinton would hold a news conference after her scheduled remarks in New York, slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. EDT (1730 GMT).

Reuters could not immediately confirm the reports. A spokesman for Clinton urged reporters to attend the UN event.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JonathonSpectre posted:

I live in North Florida and this place is absolutely incredible. The entire non-beach area exists solely because of U.S. military bases but the government is "plumb drat EVIL." Oh, the stories I could tell about dealing with backwoods hillbilly Republicans, Lord God.

Every shithole town built around a military base is chock full of welfare queen vets who put in their 20 decrying the big bad government. It's not unique to North Florida by any stretch.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hey, since we are talking EV maps the Michigan bill to change how EVs are awarded and given them to the GOP when they lose is back

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I thought we established this was a Republican conspiracy not worth commenting on

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

comes along bort posted:

I grew up in a much poorer and more rural place than Ernst and people here would look at you like you're an idiot if you showed up with wonder bread bags on your feet. There's being resourceful and there's having a lick of common sense. Ages ago they used to use little plastic booties for hog farm workers to cover their feet when they had to get into the wallers or clean out pens, but surprise surprise they have zero traction and tear easily. So people just started using fishing boots instead. I can't imagine walking around on bread bags with ice all over the ground like you'd get in Iowa.

I guess if you were a dumbass you could do that, but normal people put them on the inside of your shoes, like a boot liner. That way if the snow cones over your boot or if they have a hole, your feet stay dry.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

JonathonSpectre posted:

Back in 2008 I had a business owner tell me that last year she had made $320,000 but that THIS year she was going to limit it to $249,999 because she didn't want to give Obama $70,000 in taxes. I realized she did not have a clue about how taxes worked so I grabbed some paper and showed her, you know, how the tax system actually worked and that you'd be a loving idiot to voluntarily not make $70,000 extra dollars due to $2-3,000 extra worth of taxes. Her response was, "As long as none of my money goes to help anyone else I'm okay with that."

See, this is how I know your story is true. I swear I know this person. They all have the same malice and outgroup hatred, and the same talking-point programmed idiocy and hatred. There's a deep, fundamental commitment to the idea that what's MINE is the guiding principle of the universe.

Any GOP operative thinking they can squeeze more GOTV has got to be an idiot. These people see the vote as the single strongest defense of their privilege, and they are ANGRY AS poo poo THAT THEY CAN'T JUST UNPRESIDENT OBAMA. Like they're still looking for a way to make it as if the whole thing never happened. These people are motivated as poo poo, and scared and angry as hell.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

I guess if you were a dumbass you could do that, but normal people put them on the inside of your shoes, like a boot liner. That way if the snow cones over your boot or if they have a hole, your feet stay dry.

They also kept the boots from eating your socks, and made them easier to slip on and off for lazy kids like me who didn't want to mess with laces. I don't know about ziplocks, though, those seem like a weird choice. Bread bags are just the right shape.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

One could be forgiven for thinking Sen Hog Balls was in fact a dumbass.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't know that it's Christies scandals that have hurt him that bad or his seeming attempts to go back and forth from moderate to GOP firebrand multiple times before it even mattered and the idea that he gave Obama some sort of photo op by not telling him to gently caress off when he was viewing the damage from Sandy. GOP voters are very sore about that one still and it's really sad/funny.

See also: Christ, Charlie. If you so much as shake hands with Obama or acknowledge his humanity and basic sense of decency, it's enough to send your average republican into a loving rage.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

They also kept the boots from eating your socks, and made them easier to slip on and off for lazy kids like me who didn't want to mess with laces. I don't know about ziplocks, though, those seem like a weird choice. Bread bags are just the right shape.

Galoshes are just the right shape. This isn't even a privilege thing thing, it's a cheap piece of rubber and my parents and grandparents used them growing up in a country far poorer than rural Iowa. Is this just a pride in ignorance thing?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

Iowa just overwhelmingly voted in the person who inspired this amusing t-shirt

I would not be surprised at all if Iowa voted for the republican in 2016.

What is that shirt even supposed to mean?

Armyman25 posted:

The thing is, using bread bags as boot liners was a thing in Iowa. We used to do it when I was growing up in Sioux City in the 80s. It's a regional quirk that's probably a bit out of date, but it's really weird seeing the rest of the country act like it's something so strange. It was just a cheap way to keep your feet dry in the rain and slush.

I still don't get it.

PupsOfWar posted:

its team-identity politcs in its purest and most petty form.

The really weird thing is Ernst's original usage of the anecdote, which seemed to be a totally un-self-aware celebration of the perverse way the GoP has learned to use the pride of the rural poor to get that constituency to celebrate and perpetuate its own poverty

Oh. In that case, it's even dumber than I thought. That's really loving stupid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BiggerBoat posted:

See also: Christ, Charlie. If you so much as shake hands with Obama or acknowledge his humanity and basic sense of decency, it's enough to send your average republican into a loving rage.

You joke but actually yes exactly.

quote:

Wen President Barack Obama visited South Carolina on March 6, it was par for the course for Gov. Nikki Haley to greet him at the Columbia airport. So what if they’re polar opposites politically, right? That’s what governors do. And Haley even posted a photo of their quick handshake on her Facebook page. See?

But apparently the gov hasn’t minded that page since originally posting the picture on Friday afternoon, because the horrid, ugly, juvenile, and even openly racist comments to that post have yet to cease. (Almost 3,000! And Haley has yet to have them removed, too.)

http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/politics/black-president-red-state-white-sheets-sing-blues-facebook/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Karnegal posted:

I don't know. The dems are doing well to start making women's issues that aren't bogged down by religious bullshit (abortion) into political issues. Obama giving nods to equal pay and childcare are things that Hillary could build on to chip away at the white, female republican vote. I mean, there is a limit to how much the GOP can thumb their noses at women's rights before they start bleeding votes.

Isn't this what Mark Udall tried in Colorodo, and subsequently got creamed?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Literally no-one said that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You joke but actually yes exactly.

I wasn't joking.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

messagemode1 posted:

look at the competition

no real-life politician looks like mark consuelos or james stewart

by DC politician standards obama is a 10 and rubio is like an 8

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

PupsOfWar posted:

look at the competition

no real-life politician looks like mark consuelos or james stewart

by DC politician standards obama is a 10 and rubio is like an 8

Counterpoint: Garret Graves, newly elected Republican from Louisiana's sixth district, who looks not unlike Jon Hamm:

:allears: Tell me more about job creators and mooching urban ferals :allears:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JonathonSpectre posted:

I live in North Florida and this place is absolutely incredible.

Quidam Viator posted:

See, this is how I know your story is true. I swear I know this person.

I live in North Florida too and you guys are spot on. My old boss, who is a millionaire who I would swear should know better said the same dumb poo poo about people making more money. That it wasn't worth it because his tax rate would cancel it out and actually cost him money.

Also, someone earlier up said that Jacksonville was reliably blue and that's not even close to true. Jacksonville is red as hell and conservative as poo poo. Rednecks, ditto heads and bible thumpers loving everywhere so I'm not sure where the poster got the idea that Jax is some sort of liberal Democratic hotbed. I know they elected a black Democratic Mayor but that was an aberration that shocked everyone and Alvin Brown is a DINO. There's a large black population but local politics are ruled by right wingers and the First Baptist Church, full stop. Democrats and liberals have no power there whatsoever.

It got so bad for me in Jax that I finally moved to St. Augustine, which is probably even more right-leaning in some ways but not so loving stupid about it and a bit more laid back and artsy. Duval, St. Johns, Clay, Putnam, Flagler and Baker counties are so reliably Republican, conservative and religious that it's not even funny.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shageletic posted:

Isn't this what Mark Udall tried in Colorodo, and subsequently got creamed?

No, my understanding is that Mark Udall did the opposite: he made women's issues that are bogged down by religious bullshit (abortion) into a political issue.

Of course he was right given that one of the bills that was up for discussion in the very first month of the 114th was an abortion bill, but losing office as Senator has got to make any "I told you so" feeling pretty hollow.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Franco Potente posted:

Counterpoint: Garret Graves, newly elected Republican from Louisiana's sixth district, who looks not unlike Jon Hamm:

Pretty sure Jon Hamm is able to find a shirt that fits

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Franco Potente posted:

So this is what Jon Hamm on meth looks like.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Galoshes are just the right shape. This isn't even a privilege thing thing, it's a cheap piece of rubber and my parents and grandparents used them growing up in a country far poorer than rural Iowa. Is this just a pride in ignorance thing?

Do galoshes cost more than literally nothing? Yes? Ok.

That said we grew up poor and on assistance and didn't do the bread bag thing when it snowed.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

I live in North Florida too and you guys are spot on. My old boss, who is a millionaire who I would swear should know better said the same dumb poo poo about people making more money. That it wasn't worth it because his tax rate would cancel it out and actually cost him money.

Also, someone earlier up said that Jacksonville was reliably blue and that's not even close to true. Jacksonville is red as hell and conservative as poo poo. Rednecks, ditto heads and bible thumpers loving everywhere so I'm not sure where the poster got the idea that Jax is some sort of liberal Democratic hotbed. I know they elected a black Democratic Mayor but that was an aberration that shocked everyone and Alvin Brown is a DINO. There's a large black population but local politics are ruled by right wingers and the First Baptist Church, full stop. Democrats and liberals have no power there whatsoever.

mebbe they were thinking of Tampa

Franco Potente posted:

Counterpoint: Garret Graves

we got one of those runnin for guddiner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

ComradeCosmobot posted:

No, my understanding is that Mark Udall did the opposite: he made women's issues that are bogged down by religious bullshit (abortion) into a political issue.

Of course he was right given that one of the bills that was up for discussion in the very first month of the 114th was an abortion bill, but losing office as Senator has got to make any "I told you so" feeling pretty hollow.

He also went all in on that one issue - like, I live in Colorado and can literally not recall a single ad I heard from him about anything other than women's issues. He stuck with that strategy long after Gardener had pretty effectively defused it. It was pretty baffling watching it, as a Democrat in the state. I think the Dems would have to work to gently caress up that badly in the presidential election, but then again Hillary has never impressed me with her campaigning.

• Locked thread