Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Otogi. Those games ruled.

That's it!

.... and apparently there's no way to play them without an original Xbox :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Trying to remember a game for the original Xbox. It was a fantasy samurai/ninja Japanese third person fighter with destructible buildings and a lot of chopped up bamboo. There were two of them in the series.

Tenchu or Otogi or Onimusha

E:FB

Mr. Flunchy posted:

That's it!

.... and apparently there's no way to play them without an original Xbox :(

Emulator maybe?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

One is a third-person multiplayer action game inspired by Running Man/SMASH TV. The advertised novelty is that a handful of contestants are picked from a pool and given one chance to run through the challenges while the spectators influence the battlefield like The Hunger Games.

Now that PAX is coming up this game resurfaced! It's called Upsilon Circuit. People are randomly selected to play and once they die that's it, you're forever locked out from being chosen again. The audience can spend real world money to help or hinder you. The devs described this as "monetizing trolling" and it sounds both awful and hilarious.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

al-azad posted:

Now that PAX is coming up this game resurfaced! It's called Upsilon Circuit. People are randomly selected to play and once they die that's it, you're forever locked out from being chosen again. The audience can spend real world money to help or hinder you. The devs described this as "monetizing trolling" and it sounds both awful and hilarious.

That's not a bad idea for some kind of game show.

A game show you could potentially participate in yourself through your home game console would be pretty rad.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Trying to remember the sort of game that would've been on shareware CDs and such.

It was a text adventure game RPG where the ultimate goal was to defeat some sort of evil king. I think it was a BASIC application but I'm not 100% on that. You can level up and such, and I remember fighting gulls while traversing the ocean.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have some distant memories of an ARPG for PS2. It was fantasy of course and had local co-op but I don't remember the name.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I have some distant memories of an ARPG for PS2. It was fantasy of course and had local co-op but I don't remember the name.

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

It couldn't have been a Gauntlet game, right? I'm sure you would have remembered lines like

:byodame: I LIKE FOOD!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It definitely wasn't gauntlet and it wasn't baldur's gate either. I remember some strange specific things about it, like it had a radial thing you would assign your skills to, the levels seemed to be part randomly-generated and part hand-created, and in one sort of tropical island environment your character would constantly repeat this dumb line about finding an excuse to vacation there.

While I'm here, I have this one memory out of nowhere of a gameplay video I saw years ago for some game on what I think was the PS3, and then never noticed again. I remember someone describing it as being like 3rd person battlefield. It looked singleplayer (at least what I saw was singleplayer) with a big open map, I think both vehicles and other human-sized enemies, and a kind of sci-fi theme if I remember right. I remember the player character wore glasses and I think he was black but I can't quite recall.

I know this is basically nothing to go on, but I periodically have this image of a black glasses-wearing man shooting things in a big environment, and it bothers me to no end that I can't remember what it was from and never found out anything else about the game.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 10, 2015

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Anatharon posted:

This is in fact what it was, thanks!

Outfoxies is an amazing, fun game though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It definitely wasn't gauntlet and it wasn't baldur's gate either. I remember some strange specific things about it, like it had a radial thing you would assign your skills to, the levels seemed to be part randomly-generated and part hand-created, and in one sort of tropical island environment your character would constantly repeat this dumb line about finding an excuse to vacation there.

A Bard's Tale has a radial menu and the main character makes snarky quips. Champions of Norrath takes place on a tropical island.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It was a platformer/adventure type game on the SNES. Pretty dark graphics, I remember one of the early bosses being a coven of witches that has some dialog before attacking, which might have been the final boss in the tutorial setting, as well. Something about entering a castle that lowers its drawgate, too.

I'm fairly convinced it's not Bram Stoker's Dracula.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm trying to remember one, probably early 2000s era. It was a fly your spaceship around and make money / kill pirates / be a pirate type game except it was all in atmosphere instead of space. Definitely not freelancer which is the only other one of that era I can remember.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

andrew smash posted:

I'm trying to remember one, probably early 2000s era. It was a fly your spaceship around and make money / kill pirates / be a pirate type game except it was all in atmosphere instead of space. Definitely not freelancer which is the only other one of that era I can remember.

Hardwar?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Hardwar's the loving greatest.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

THE BAR posted:

It was a platformer/adventure type game on the SNES. Pretty dark graphics, I remember one of the early bosses being a coven of witches that has some dialog before attacking, which might have been the final boss in the tutorial setting, as well. Something about entering a castle that lowers its drawgate, too.

I'm fairly convinced it's not Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Warlock?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

al-azad posted:

Warlock?

Watching a longplay of it, and it's not that one, sadly, but it's definitely in that ballpark.

It's based on 18-20 year old memories, so it might just be pure fantasy... But I'm just so sure that it's a real game, remembering having nightmares from it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Watching a longplay of it, and it's not that one, sadly, but it's definitely in that ballpark.

It's based on 18-20 year old memories, so it might just be pure fantasy... But I'm just so sure that it's a real game, remembering having nightmares from it.

Long shot: Run Saber? The second boss is this big giant witch thing that could potentially give a kid nightmares.

Other than that... Nosferatu? Can you give us anything else? What other game does it remind you of the most?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

None of those, I've checked out Nosferatu before. It was in a dark, medieval setting, much like Bram Stoker's Dracula. It wasn't as arcadey as Castlevania, having a more plodding speed to it.

I just seem to recall it having a bunch of dialogue at the end of every stage, and all stages being linked together in a natural way. Forest -> Drawbridge -> Courtyard, that kind of thing.

About the witches - There were three, and they swirled around in a pattern, with lots of mist obscuring things.

E:

And that boss in Run Saber just comes out of nowhere, doesn't it? :stare:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

THE BAR posted:

None of those, I've checked out Nosferatu before. It was in a dark, medieval setting, much like Bram Stoker's Dracula. It wasn't as arcadey as Castlevania, having a more plodding speed to it.

I just seem to recall it having a bunch of dialogue at the end of every stage, and all stages being linked together in a natural way. Forest -> Drawbridge -> Courtyard, that kind of thing.

About the witches - There were three, and they swirled around in a pattern, with lots of mist obscuring things.

E:

And that boss in Run Saber just comes out of nowhere, doesn't it? :stare:

I'm wondering if it's not Frankenstein on the NES? I don't think there's exactly a coven of three witches, but there is this boss fight:

https://youtu.be/F5dZVJwmn10?t=9m27s

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Dragon's lair? Had a drawbridge but idk about witches

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Trabandiumium posted:

Dragon's lair? Had a drawbridge but idk about witches

Drunk Tomato posted:

I'm wondering if it's not Frankenstein on the NES? I don't think there's exactly a coven of three witches, but there is this boss fight:

https://youtu.be/F5dZVJwmn10?t=9m27s

It's neither of those, and it was definitely on the SNES... Or, at least, that's what my memory tells me. I've just been through several lists of games for the system, and none of them fits. It must be something my mind has invented, eurgh.

Thanks for the suggestions, people!

E:

Taking a final look at Bram Stoker's Dracula, the "trainer" difficulty DOES feature three women swirling around as the final boss, and I -did- find the menu screen familiar. It must've been that game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIiXd9HOu-Q

I guess I was easily scared at the ripe age of four.

EE:

It's definitely that game, as I also seem to recall that boss with the whip.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 12, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hahaha, I loving knew it. I remembered that three witches fight too, and it is exactly what you were describing but you were adamant it wasn't that game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

My mind is nothing but rot and spider eggs, I'll take wrong memories over nothing at all.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

While I'm here, I have this one memory out of nowhere of a gameplay video I saw years ago for some game on what I think was the PS3, and then never noticed again. I remember someone describing it as being like 3rd person battlefield. It looked singleplayer (at least what I saw was singleplayer) with a big open map, I think both vehicles and other human-sized enemies, and a kind of sci-fi theme if I remember right. I remember the player character wore glasses and I think he was black but I can't quite recall.

I know this is basically nothing to go on, but I periodically have this image of a black glasses-wearing man shooting things in a big environment, and it bothers me to no end that I can't remember what it was from and never found out anything else about the game.

This is probably Starhawk

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

This is probably Starhawk

Thanks, this was it. Shame I missed it, looks like it was really good when the multiplayer was active.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

I think this one is Champions of Norrath

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So I'm thinking of a PS1 game, a 3D platformer-ish kind of game where you play as a kid and the concept was that [one of] your parents invented a time machine and then got abducted or trapped in time or otherwise vanished, and the levels were just various time settings, with the hub being the kid's house, just with a bunch of anachronistic stuff like dinosaurs in the playroom and whatnot.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ometeotl posted:

So I'm thinking of a PS1 game, a 3D platformer-ish kind of game where you play as a kid and the concept was that [one of] your parents invented a time machine and then got abducted or trapped in time or otherwise vanished, and the levels were just various time settings, with the hub being the kid's house, just with a bunch of anachronistic stuff like dinosaurs in the playroom and whatnot.
Rascal

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Biiiingo. Thanks.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
There was an old MMO in the days of the big MMO rush, an RTS/FPSish MMO about mining on some distant asteroid or moon. You rode around on a hoverboard (I think?) and could order tanks, buildings, upgrades, gear et. al. from one of four corporations, once of which would be your sponsor. The main sort of gameplay was all about territory conflicts to mine more (special resource) and it went under pretty quickly because its balance was awful with no real goal except 'get more,' iirc, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. Google doesn't have anything on it, as it was too small and irrelevant, apparently.

Anyone remember?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BlondRobin posted:

There was an old MMO in the days of the big MMO rush, an RTS/FPSish MMO about mining on some distant asteroid or moon. You rode around on a hoverboard (I think?) and could order tanks, buildings, upgrades, gear et. al. from one of four corporations, once of which would be your sponsor. The main sort of gameplay was all about territory conflicts to mine more (special resource) and it went under pretty quickly because its balance was awful with no real goal except 'get more,' iirc, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. Google doesn't have anything on it, as it was too small and irrelevant, apparently.

Anyone remember?

Anarchy Online?

Wait no, none of that is Anarchy.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 18, 2015

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

BlondRobin posted:

Anyone remember?

10^6

e: apparently it was spelled 10/six, and it looks like it lived on somehow as Project Visitor

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 18, 2015

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
The game I'm thinking of was an old platformer where you could choose between 3 different robot characters that had their own unique models. I believe they could transform. Some of them could hook upwards. It was pretty dark. I'll try to remember other details if anyone can help.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BlondRobin posted:

Anyone remember?

Definitely 10Six. The main goal of it was to troll the poo poo out of anyone weaker than you with absurd bullshit builds. I actually remember it lasting a reasonably long time, a few years perhaps.

It was a confusing game full of weird edge cases and exploits. Fun if you got used to it though.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Terebus posted:

The game I'm thinking of was an old platformer where you could choose between 3 different robot characters that had their own unique models. I believe they could transform. Some of them could hook upwards. It was pretty dark. I'll try to remember other details if anyone can help.

What does 'hook upwards' mean?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What does "old" mean? What era?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
That makes me think of Robot Alchemic Drive(R.A.D.) for the PS2. But it really isn't much to go on.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Terebus posted:

Metal Warriors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

This was a Starfox-like MMO, had a pretty decent goon presence a few years back. It had a few name changes but one of them had Air-something as one of the titles. Anyone remember this?