Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I played Argent for the first time today with my copy and it went really well. I played with two people I know are not prone to AP and we mostly just sorta flew by the seat of our collective pants. I ended up winning 9-2-1 but I think I was more lucky than good. I just gave everyone 1 mage of each type, and used the recommended rooms for a 3 player game. It took about 2.5h including explanation. No one felt lost at any point and most of the cards are pretty good at just saying what they do.

The only question that came up was regarding the Vault room: are the three cards that you draw for that room separate from the vault cards you normally have out? So if you get too many people in that room then only the first three people get stuff? (Except IP of course, if you choose)

I'm thinking I might pick up the expansion so I can make sure to have it before it goes out of stock in case there is no second printing, and I'll just hold onto it until I'm comfy with the base game. Any of you folks tried that? Or the Beach Bash thing? (looks mostly like boobs instead of substance, but could be fun I guess?)

Some Numbers posted:

The Rat is the worst part of the expansion, so no.

The fifth faction is bad and interacts poorly with the rest and a number of the new cards and upgrades have balance issues. Skip it.

I disagree with these sentiments regarding Chaos in the Old World but I can see why people might think that. Skaven are the master race, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mister Sinewave posted:

Pilots must begin every statement with the words "You do realize..."
drat that's good.

Archenteron posted:

I really want to know what the art for Cepheus E10 - The Emperor aka Giant Robeast King Phillip is going to look like.
Soon.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

EvilChameleon posted:

I'm thinking I might pick up the expansion so I can make sure to have it before it goes out of stock in case there is no second printing, and I'll just hold onto it until I'm comfy with the base game. Any of you folks tried that? Or the Beach Bash thing? (looks mostly like boobs instead of substance, but could be fun I guess?)

Summer break is worth getting if you're considering getting the expansion, especially for 3-5 dollars. It adds some goofy summer themed vault cards (magic sunblock), one supporter per department, a new voter, and a new scenario where you get new mages as students return from summer vacations each round. It's definitely not just T&A, but the flavor is a little sillier.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

$11,910 pledged of $20,000 goal

49 hours to go
:saddowns:

If the kickstarter doesn't go through, are you planning on finishing it up at your own pace and selling it as a Print & Play? I would buy the gently caress out of that.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Helena P Blavatsky posted:

Has anyone here looked at Dune: The Dice Game?

Yeah, I was pretty interested because Dune is an amazingly thematic game that suffers from being a few decades too old, but then I saw the Bene Gesserit win condition. Without having to predict the player and turn as per Dune Classic, they seem super broken. Not in the sense that they're too powerful, in the sense that they break the game. Why would you ever try for a solo victory if it carries a risk of losing outright? An allied victory may mean sharing the glory, but it's better than handing all the glory to someone else.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poison Mushroom posted:

:saddowns:

If the kickstarter doesn't go through, are you planning on finishing it up at your own pace and selling it as a Print & Play? I would buy the gently caress out of that.

I've posted this in the other threads, but the general idea is that I'd like the game to be published for real in some respect and such a thing will require a great deal more time, manpower, and money than I currently have. So give it a while.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

I've posted this in the other threads, but the general idea is that I'd like the game to be published for real in some respect and such a thing will require a great deal more time, manpower, and money than I currently have. So give it a while.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/ :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

I don't wanna see it become vaporware while you quietly toil away for years and years trying to self-publish. If this doesn't work out, maybe start showing the prototype around? This seems like the kind of thing that... I dunno, Czech Games Edition or ZMan might be interested in?

Edit I think I figured out what bugs me about the Final Attack kickstarter video. It starts with a lot of 'Hahaha, I remember these types of shows' momentum, and then kind of loses it when BL talks at the camera immediately after. I don't think the cheap 'sitting on the couch watching cartoons and eating cereal straight from the box' laugh is worth that.

Like, I'm imagining if instead, it transitioned to a bunch of your playtest players, all in really, really low budget costumes (like, 'made at home' low budget), each calling out the name of one of the K-Machines. My first thought is actually SU&SD. For all their faults, their early videos had the "making the almost literally zero budget thing work and be amusing" thing down.) And then the video spends about a minute 'selling' itself as an 80's-90's commercial for one of those really bad "X: THE BOARD GAME" things that saturated the market for years and years.

"You've watched the Final Kaiser TV show. You've bought the Final Kaiser toys. You even have the Final Kaiser Toothbrush! But do you have the ULTIMATE FINAL KAISER EXPERIENCE? FINAL KAISER: THE BOARD GAME."
[Cut to "child" dramatically slamming down a card.]: "I'll stop the robeast's attack with my Wolf Fang!"
[Another "child" throws down a chip]: "And I'll attack right back with my Drill Horn!"
[Third "child"]: Look out, the Robeast is evolving! We have to combine!
[Everyone, looking dead-eyed at the camera.]: "Let's Final Combination!"

Etc. etc.

THEN you break into what the game actually is.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 10, 2015

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Got Eminent Domain + expansion in the mail today and played the base game two player at board game night. Enjoyed it, but it felt like it lasted too long with that many.

Also saw a game of X-Com where the game ended with the Squad Commander failing to score two successes on 24 dice to complete the final mission.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Noted quarterbacking issues aside, is Pandemic considered a worthwhile addition to one's collection or no?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Wait, should I not get the Horned Rat expansion for Chaos in the Old World? I just assumed it would own, like the rest of the game.

I agree with the Rat in CitOW being the least interesting god in terms of interactions, but I think it's mainly because the other four gods are so fine tuned that any outside influence would mess up with the balancing. The Rat just does its own thing, does not place Corruption tokens and doesn't mess with other players. All it's powers are self contained and only influence their own troops (buffs, moving their own troops, placing new Skaven Tokens in the board, etc...).

It's not going to ruin the experience, but it doesn't add anything, either. If you like CitOW and want five players, go ahead.

Do not use the new cards, though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Noted quarterbacking issues aside, is Pandemic considered a worthwhile addition to one's collection or no?

Short answer: Yes, but it really depends on what games you have, how much of a quarterback you are and how quarterbackable your friends are. I still enjoy it with my girlfriend and some friends who've been playing it with me for years (though very occasionally), but I usually shy away from introducing it to new people unless I know they're awesome at recognizing patterns and/or enjoy getting told what to do in order to learn.
Some people believe that the choices are sometimes to obvious, but in my experience, that doesn't happen anywhere near every turn, and even when it does, you still want to talk it out and see if there's a better option.

Games that would be too similar for it to be worth getting would be Forbidden Desert/Island and Flash Point.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Fat Samurai posted:

I agree with the Rat in CitOW being the least interesting god in terms of interactions, but I think it's mainly because the other four gods are so fine tuned that any outside influence would mess up with the balancing. The Rat just does its own thing, does not place Corruption tokens and doesn't mess with other players. All it's powers are self contained and only influence their own troops (buffs, moving their own troops, placing new Skaven Tokens in the board, etc...).

It's not going to ruin the experience, but it doesn't add anything, either. If you like CitOW and want five players, go ahead.

All I remember about the one time I played the expansion is how Khorne scored like 60 points off one card and killing lots of guys.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Also saw a game of X-Com where the game ended with the Squad Commander failing to score two successes on 24 dice to complete the final mission.

Dripping with theme.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

BonHair posted:

Short answer: Yes, but it really depends on what games you have, how much of a quarterback you are and how quarterbackable your friends are. I still enjoy it with my girlfriend and some friends who've been playing it with me for years (though very occasionally), but I usually shy away from introducing it to new people unless I know they're awesome at recognizing patterns and/or enjoy getting told what to do in order to learn.
Some people believe that the choices are sometimes to obvious, but in my experience, that doesn't happen anywhere near every turn, and even when it does, you still want to talk it out and see if there's a better option.

Games that would be too similar for it to be worth getting would be Forbidden Desert/Island and Flash Point.

The game store has a communcal copy of Forbidden Island which we played and enjoyed, and it's a game I've known about for a while but haven't really gone in for largely due to the warnings about QBing coming up virtually every time it's mentioned. It came up in conversation the last time I had a board game outing and the store has a copy on the shelf so I've been debating whether or not to pick it up.

Though really what I need to get is Tash-Kalar. Store doesn't have it and I think I may need to order it directly to make sure I get the second edition.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Pilots must begin every statement with the words "You do realize..."

Alternatively, you have to start all of your statements with "Actually,..."

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Tash-Kalar upgrade pack arrived today, it's nice but hardly mandatory. The Everfrost deck looks cool though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

The game store has a communcal copy of Forbidden Island which we played and enjoyed, and it's a game I've known about for a while but haven't really gone in for largely due to the warnings about QBing coming up virtually every time it's mentioned. It came up in conversation the last time I had a board game outing and the store has a copy on the shelf so I've been debating whether or not to pick it up.

Though really what I need to get is Tash-Kalar. Store doesn't have it and I think I may need to order it directly to make sure I get the second edition.

Get Tash-Kalar. Just do it.

Again, if you have a regular group to play Pandemic(/forbidden places/etc) with, quarterbacking is not much of a problem, it's only if you have uneven skill levels that it becomes a problem. And even then it might not be a real problem, my girlfriend manages to not quarterback her friends when introducing it to them. I can't do that, because I'm an rear end, but some people can.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

I think I figured out what bugs me about the Final Attack kickstarter video. It starts with a lot of 'Hahaha, I remember these types of shows' momentum, and then kind of loses it when BL talks at the camera immediately after. I don't think the cheap 'sitting on the couch watching cartoons and eating cereal straight from the box' laugh is worth that.

Like, I'm imagining if instead, it transitioned to a bunch of your playtest players, all in really, really low budget costumes (like, 'made at home' low budget), each calling out the name of one of the K-Machines. My first thought is actually SU&SD. For all their faults, their early videos had the "making the almost literally zero budget thing work and be amusing" thing down.) And then the video spends about a minute 'selling' itself as an 80's-90's commercial for one of those really bad "X: THE BOARD GAME" things that saturated the market for years and years.

"You've watched the Final Kaiser TV show. You've bought the Final Kaiser toys. You even have the Final Kaiser Toothbrush! But do you have the ULTIMATE FINAL KAISER EXPERIENCE? FINAL KAISER: THE BOARD GAME."
[Cut to "child" dramatically slamming down a card.]: "I'll stop the robeast's attack with my Wolf Fang!"
[Another "child" throws down a chip]: "And I'll attack right back with my Drill Horn!"
[Third "child"]: Look out, the Robeast is evolving! We have to combine!
[Everyone, looking dead-eyed at the camera.]: "Let's Final Combination!"

Etc. etc.

THEN you break into what the game actually is.

The problem with this idea is that the majority of your audience stopped watching before you explain the game because they think it will be really bad, and the remainder hit the pledge button before they started watching. Ironic advertising does not work.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jedit posted:

The problem with this idea is that the majority of your audience stopped watching before you explain the game because they think it will be really bad, and the remainder hit the pledge button before they started watching. Ironic advertising does not work.

Ironic most things don't work, either! Fornax's art tested poorly because people didn't get the joke that it was a direct homage to 70's animation stills. There's quite a few visual things I'm going to have to redo.

No, I have plenty of ideas going forward. There are still massive hurdles, but the game would theoretically improve overall.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

taser rates posted:

Alternatively, you have to start all of your statements with "Actually,..."

I think you mean Um, Actually...

Helena P Blavatsky
Oct 17, 2003

onward to victory

Poopy Palpy posted:

Yeah, I was pretty interested because Dune is an amazingly thematic game that suffers from being a few decades too old, but then I saw the Bene Gesserit win condition. Without having to predict the player and turn as per Dune Classic, they seem super broken. Not in the sense that they're too powerful, in the sense that they break the game. Why would you ever try for a solo victory if it carries a risk of losing outright? An allied victory may mean sharing the glory, but it's better than handing all the glory to someone else.

Yeah, I think I saw someone on BGG expressing a similar concern. It didn't come up in the one game we played, the Bene Gesserit secretly predicted the Spacing Guild to win and they did but in an alliance. Thinking on it, I don't think the BG prediction power will end up breaking the game in practice because it seems like alliance victories are intended to be the norm, at least at 6 players. At that player count the victory condition - control 3/5 strategic regions of a 10 region map for a solo win, 4/5 for allied win - is really difficult to hit as a solo player.

It's even possible the Bene Gesserit's prediction power is intended to be a counter to a strategy of keeping up alliances right until you don't need them and them dumping them for a solo win, since alliances have no permanence in the game. This would be tricky, like it would be easier to dump an alliance in order to form a new one to win rather than going it solo, but it's possible. With the BG in play you can still go for that strategy, but it's riskier? I'm not certain. I am kind of doubtful it's game ruining, but it could possibly become a problem across repeated plays. Either way I can totally understand how the perception of having a risk that a solo victory could be taken away would make someone not want to play it.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

But you can't make an alliance in Dune till a worm comes. That's hard to plan around. Not sure about breaking one though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

Dripping with theme.

It does replicate the god damnit feeling of a soldier missing a clutch kill on a 95% chance shot.

Helena P Blavatsky
Oct 17, 2003

onward to victory

dishwasherlove posted:

But you can't make an alliance in Dune till a worm comes. That's hard to plan around. Not sure about breaking one though.

I'm talking about Dune: The Dice Game, a print and play reinterpretation of the classic Dune game. It has aspects of the older game, but some things work really differently like alliances. I wrote some more stuff about how it plays above.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

FWIW, this is what we do. Rat is good to add a 5th player, but the new cards change the game a lot. We found the best experience was to add the rat and keep the old cards.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone play with the 2nd ed rules for Myth yet? I'm kind of on the fence about buying it but a dungeon crawl with cool minis, full co-op, and expansion modules sounds cool. I heard the rules it shipped with were terrible though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

How different is the Dune board game from Rex? I know Rex was heavily inspired by it, but what are the differences?

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG
Kemet or Cyclades? I'm leaning toward Cyclades, because I don't have any games with auction mechanics currently and my friends tend to not be too aggressive (they usually apologize when attacking another player in Risk), but is Kemet so great a game that it can make lions out of lambs?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

Ironic advertising does not work.
And a little bit of light and joy goes out of my world. :saddowns:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

KiloVictorDongs posted:

Kemet or Cyclades? I'm leaning toward Cyclades, because I don't have any games with auction mechanics currently and my friends tend to not be too aggressive (they usually apologize when attacking another player in Risk), but is Kemet so great a game that it can make lions out of lambs?

I have not played Kemet, so I can't compare, but Cyclades is a good game that will work with nonaggressive players.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

KiloVictorDongs posted:

The aggressive player will almost always win out over the defensive player in Kemet (unless they took the VP for Defense win power.) If people have a problem with that style of play, Kemet isn't for them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

KiloVictorDongs posted:

Throw them into the deep end. Buy Kemet. :unsmigghh:

Actually don't because it can backfire hilariously.

Elyv posted:

How different is the Dune board game from Rex? I know Rex was heavily inspired by it, but what are the differences?

"Lifted wholesale" may be a better term here than "inspired". There are a few differences, though: Rex is shorter (6 or 8 turns to something like a dozen, IIRC). In Dune there were useless Treachery cards, it ain't so in Rex. Also, the cards themselves may be different, I don't remember. You cannot give spice away in Rex, while in Dune you can bribe people by promising payment. And the map is different.

There may be something else, it's been a while since I've played either.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

KiloVictorDongs posted:

is Kemet so great a game that it can make lions out of lambs?

It's pretty great, but not that great. You have to attack people.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You just have to lol at the general idea of people apologizing for attacking each other in Risk.

If a game could convert them Kemet is probably a good candidate, or they may just be babbies beyond redemption. You know them better than we do.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Throw them into the deep end. Buy Kemet. :unsmigghh:

Actually don't because it can backfire hilariously.

"Lifted wholesale" may be a better term here than "inspired". There are a few differences, though: Rex is shorter (6 or 8 turns to something like a dozen, IIRC). In Dune there were useless Treachery cards, it ain't so in Rex. Also, the cards themselves may be different, I don't remember. You cannot give spice away in Rex, while in Dune you can bribe people by promising payment. And the map is different.

There may be something else, it's been a while since I've played either.

Also, Rex is not set in the Dune universe. This is obvious, but Dune is a great universe for a political area control board game, and the theme and you knowledge of the setting supposedly improves the experience a fair bit.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

You just have to lol at the general idea of people apologizing for attacking each other in Risk.

If a game could convert them Kemet is probably a good candidate, or they may just be babbies beyond redemption. You know them better than we do.

If your playgroup's idea of aggression is taking the spot that gives 3 wood instead of the spot that gives them 2 stone because they know their opponent needs the wood, then Kemet probably won't be a great fit. However if your playgroup enjoys direct interaction of any type, Magic, Quantum, CITOW...they will probably love it. Also, the game is incredibly pretty in design, and that alone can convince some players to step out of their comfort zone.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BonHair posted:

Also, Rex is not set in the Dune universe. This is obvious, but Dune is a great universe for a political area control board game, and the theme and you knowledge of the setting supposedly improves the experience a fair bit.

Alliance victory conditions in both are so unsatisfying it's like you wasted a couple of hours to win by saying "Hey if we ally we win".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Madmarker posted:

If your playgroup's idea of aggression is taking the spot that gives 3 wood instead of the spot that gives them 2 stone because they know their opponent needs the wood, then Kemet probably won't be a great fit. However if your playgroup enjoys direct interaction of any type, Magic, Quantum, CITOW...they will probably love it. Also, the game is incredibly pretty in design, and that alone can convince some players to step out of their comfort zone.

I wouldn't lump mtg, or any two player game really, in with the rest. I'm absolutely merciless in 1v1 games, but hate direct conflict with more than that because I hate the idea of Kingmaking, either doing it or having it done to me. Also I've yet to have a group where everyone is on the same strategic page; there's always a person or two who just attacks their girlfriend or the person sitting next to them, just because. Most of this doesn't apply to team games either, since those are really just 1v1 games with more players.

King making isn't exclusive to direct conflict games of course, but it's often much more deliberate in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I think it's important to distinguish from direct non-optional conflict vs political or opportunist conflict. I play with some people who are fine playing X-Wing or Magic head to head but don't enjoy stuff like Cyclades or more political games where there is an option to be peaceful and an opportunity to attack another player who is exposed or weak or whatever.