Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jesus, the game would just melt my computer and set fire to my house. Such a shame. Oh well, PS4 version will still be good. :toot:

Been reading the books to get a better view on the world of The Witcher, and Geralt's kinda whiny in them isn't he? Maybe he gets better, I only just finished Baptism of Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Between this and GTAV, I'm getting the feeling that my 460 GTX is definitely about to join the choir invisible.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CitrusFrog posted:

Between this and GTAV, I'm getting the feeling that my 460 GTX is definitely about to join the choir invisible.

YOu can buy a 760 or whatever for like 200 bucks and it'll last you for years to come.

Or a 980 for Hahahahahahahahahaha gently caress you $500+ :argh:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Gonna wait and see if that video card bundle deal materializes. Or I guess I could preorder for $48 and get a cheapy $200 card...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

OAquinas posted:

Gonna wait and see if that video card bundle deal materializes. Or I guess I could preorder for $48 and get a cheapy $200 card...
The bundle is for over $500 cards. That's a bit rich. Each to his own, though.

Greenmangaming will have better deals for it on sale as the time approaches. I wouldn't bother preordering just yet if you're scrounging around for money.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Drifter posted:

YOu can buy a 760 or whatever for like 200 bucks and it'll last you for years to come.

Or a 980 for Hahahahahahahahahaha gently caress you $500+ :argh:

Yeah that's roughly the range I'd be shopping in, I may hold off on getting another HDD to replace the one that died recently and took half my Steam library with it, because I can always finish some of the games I've been procrastinating about and then delete them rather than worrying about whacking another 4TB of storage in my box.

As for the game, preordered at Gamestop so I could piecemeal pay for the collectors edition.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 9, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Manatee Cannon posted:

Jesus, the game would just melt my computer and set fire to my house. Such a shame. Oh well, PS4 version will still be good. :toot:

Been reading the books to get a better view on the world of The Witcher, and Geralt's kinda whiny in them isn't he? Maybe he gets better, I only just finished Baptism of Fire.

Nah, he's always whiny. He just eventually mostly stops giving a poo poo about the big stuff and focusing on his surrogate family.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah I'm building a whole new computer because mine is dying (the HD is like 10+ years old and the rest of the equipment outside of the graphics card is 6+ years old :gonk: ). I'm debating how much I am going to sink into a graphics card.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Nah, he's always whiny. He just eventually mostly stops giving a poo poo about the big stuff and focusing on his surrogate family.

Ah, that's a shame but not particularly surprising. He's written more like a teenage girl than Ciri is sometimes. :v: It's still pretty good, I just sometimes wish he'd stop sulking for like five minutes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah I'm building a whole new computer because mine is dying (the HD is like 10+ years old and the rest of the equipment outside of the graphics card is 6+ years old :gonk: ). I'm debating how much I am going to sink into a graphics card.

FIgure what resolution you want to run games at. If it's less than 1900 by Y, spend less than $275, unless you REALLY want those max shadows and Occlusion.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Drifter posted:

The bundle is for over $500 cards. That's a bit rich. Each to his own, though.

Isn't it available for 960 (~$200) and 970 (~$300) too?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Isn't it available for 960 (~$200) and 970 (~$300) too?

Huh, maybe. I just kinda assumed the 900 class cards were all the super expensive ones. I'm toats retarded.

drat, you're right The 960s might be the way to go for these things at this point, just in general.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drifter posted:

FIgure what resolution you want to run games at. If it's less than 1900 by Y, spend less than $275, unless you REALLY want those max shadows and Occlusion.

Good to know, thanks. I've been reading up in the part picking thread trying to figure out what I want to do :v:

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ah, that's a shame but not particularly surprising. He's written more like a teenage girl than Ciri is sometimes. :v: It's still pretty good, I just sometimes wish he'd stop sulking for like five minutes.

Well... his mother did abandon him to be trained as a child-soldier by a bunch of old men who can't stop talking about how they are all going to die horrific deaths some day for the sake of people who absolutely hate them.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Vesemir is a good dad.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
What system was that Royal Wyvern trailer on? It looked like a late XBOX 360 game at times, not too happy about Geralts voice either :ohdear:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I didn't like him at first. It grows on you.

Granted I first heard him in TW1, where he and almost every other VA is completely wooden apparently owing to a near total lack of voice direction and a poorly translated script

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Geralt's voice actor really hit his stride when Dandelion went into the succubus den.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you played Iorveth's Path and didn't have Dandelion go into the den, I think you missed one of the funniest lines in the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Geralt's always a bit of a whiny cynic. He likes to act like he's above a lot of petty ordeals and then gets suckered into poo poo all the time. It's not like he mopes around and gets off scot free. He gets a whooping all the time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He doesn't get off scot free, but that doesn't stop him from indulging in a good sulk from time to time. In the third book especially, where he spends a great deal of the novel either telling his friends to leave or threatening to do so himself. Nothing comes of it and they mock him relentlessly for it, and good on them for it, but I don't think Geralt himself comes off as a particularly mature person most of the time.. Also there's his entire relationship with Yennefer, in particular during the Sword of Destiny. Like I said, I like the books and even Geralt usually, but he can be grating from time to time. A lot of people come off a bit for the worse in the books, like Triss. It's kinda weird to me to think that a game is a better adaption than the originals, but at least as far as the characters go I kinda do believe it. I liked Geralt a lot more in The Witcher 2 than I have in the books.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Lycus posted:

Comte, tell him that he's a scrub.

Some monsters in our game have health, and some have "essence". Essence creatures need to be fought with silver, but health require steel. I think the wyvern, like the griffon, wolves, dogs, etc, are "health" based monsters.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I recall this very point being brought in the thread a while ago when the first gameplay videos came out, and you schooled people in how not all creatures require silver back then as well.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Hopefully the distinction is made pretty clear in-game. It seems like the sort of thing that would make total sense to the people classifying which monsters are which, but not necessarily to all the players.

For example, my instinct would tell me that any larger, named monster would have some magical element or an unusual intelligence. Unless scouting told me otherwise I would have headed into that wyvern fight with a silver sword.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 10, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Hopefully the distinction is made pretty clear in-game. It seems like the sort of thing that would make total sense to the people classifying which monsters are which, but not necessarily to all the players.

For example, my instinct would tell me that any larger, named monster would have some magical element or an unusual intelligence. Unless scouting told me otherwise I would have headed into that wyvern fight with a silver sword.

It's the color of their health bar, also we're pretty good about switching Geralt to the right sword. We also don't mix monster types (because switching between swords in combat wasn't fun).

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It's the color of their health bar, also we're pretty good about switching Geralt to the right sword. We also don't mix monster types (because switching between swords in combat wasn't fun).

Cool, glad to hear it. Having a visual indicator is even better than what I was hoping for.

The scope of this game is obviously a major focus, but little design touches like that get me more excited. After the latest round of videos and writeups I'm starting to get the impression that the basic interactions and UI are going to be more satisfying/elegant than they were in Witcher 2.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

He doesn't get off scot free, but that doesn't stop him from indulging in a good sulk from time to time. In the third book especially, where he spends a great deal of the novel either telling his friends to leave or threatening to do so himself. Nothing comes of it and they mock him relentlessly for it, and good on them for it, but I don't think Geralt himself comes off as a particularly mature person most of the time.. Also there's his entire relationship with Yennefer, in particular during the Sword of Destiny. Like I said, I like the books and even Geralt usually, but he can be grating from time to time. A lot of people come off a bit for the worse in the books, like Triss. It's kinda weird to me to think that a game is a better adaption than the originals, but at least as far as the characters go I kinda do believe it. I liked Geralt a lot more in The Witcher 2 than I have in the books.

I think Geralt is reasonably likeable in the books, considering his circumstances of being an ancient outcast mutant loner monster hunter and all. He's certainly not a particularly interesting character on his own and is more of a vehicle for interactions with the more varied and nuanced characters, but that makes him perfect for an RPG lead. Also it does seem like he goes through a good deal of personal growth in the translated books, which must continue through to the untranslated ones and the games if they maintain continuity.
I mean that mainly in his actions because he certainly never stops his old man griping, just as his buddies continue to ignore it.

sauer kraut posted:

What system was that Royal Wyvern trailer on? It looked like a late XBOX 360 game at times, not too happy about Geralts voice either :ohdear:

Yeah what the hell happened there? There was a huge thread on the official forums about how that trailer looked like poo poo, and the only officially answers about it were obvious nonsense.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 10, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The sword thing is more true to the books anyway. It wasn't as simple as steel=human and silver=monsters. Both swords were for monsters, and that wasn't just a poetic affectation saying "the humans are the real monsters" (although it was that, too).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I think I remember reading that silver swords are for post-Conjunction creatures. That wouldn't really make sense though as that includes humans.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They're for some post-conjunction creatures. Not all or even most. Some of the nastier stuff just happens to have an aversion to silver.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

I think I remember reading that silver swords are for post-Conjunction creatures. That wouldn't really make sense though as that includes humans.

Humans just crossed over from another world (possibly one similar to ours), while many of the monsters vulnerable to silver seem to have been outright created by the energies unleashed by the Conjunction. Othe rmonsters vulnerable to silver include undead(or do they? Funninly enough, I don't think there are actually any undead in the books) ghouls and other necrophages (I don't think they are ever stated to be undead in the books), vampires (also not undead) and the unfortunate victims of various curses like strigas or werewolves.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

sauer kraut posted:

not too happy about Geralts voice either :ohdear:

Hate the way he drops the first word of each sentence. Very out of place. Don't like it, no sir.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Humans just crossed over from another world (possibly one similar to ours), while many of the monsters vulnerable to silver seem to have been outright created by the energies unleashed by the Conjunction. Othe rmonsters vulnerable to silver include undead(or do they? Funninly enough, I don't think there are actually any undead in the books) ghouls and other necrophages (I don't think they are ever stated to be undead in the books), vampires (also not undead) and the unfortunate victims of various curses like strigas or werewolves.

Vampires aren't undead?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Aumanor posted:

Geralt takes on a pack of ghouls on at least one occasion.

GrossMurpel posted:

Vampires aren't undead?

They go into what vampires are in Baptism of Fire. They work a little differently than you'd think. For starters, drinking blood seems to be like drinking alcohol for humans and isn't necessary to live.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

GrossMurpel posted:

I thought this was basically elven propaganda. Human and elven societies just encountered each other close to when the conjunction occurred.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

As I've written in my post, ghouls in this series most likely aren't undead. And the monsters Geralt fights on the bridge in "Something More" most likely aren't ghouls.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Aumanor posted:

As I've written in my post, ghouls in this series most likely aren't undead. And the monsters Geralt fights on the bridge in "Something More" most likely aren't ghouls.

He implies that they are in Baptism of Fire when they're considering going that way.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Twobirds posted:

I thought this was basically elven propaganda. Human and elven societies just encountered each other close to when the conjunction occurred.

It's not totally clear but there is actually an implication that the humans in the Witcher universe came from another world. On steel ships, no less.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Reverse Centaur posted:

Hate the way he drops the first word of each sentence. Very out of place. Don't like it, no sir.

Witchers' lives are hard. Can't expect to bother with pronouns all the time. Have better things to do. Must be grumpy a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

They go into what vampires are in Baptism of Fire. They work a little differently than you'd think. For starters, drinking blood seems to be like drinking alcohol for humans and isn't necessary to live.

Yeah I read the books, but not needing blood doesn't mean they're not undead.
I think having your head cut off and recovering from it is a pretty good sign for being undead.

• Locked thread