Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Depends how good Narset ends up being in modern.

I can't think of a reason Narset would be good in Modern. I'm not even sure Narset is good in Standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

In the set all about Dragons that has what appears to be one constructed playable dragon, and in a format that will see that number bumped up to an incredible 3 constructed playable dragons, I would say it's much, much worse.

E: I should probably clarify that I give zero fucks about limited in all forms so

I can accept that. "There are very few playable dragons in the format" is a reasonable argument. "This is much much worse" isn't.

Considering it's mcmagic though, I still think this guy could be playable. For all we know there's a few enablers lurking, or more playable dragons. And who knows what Origins and Zendikar 2 will bring?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mcmagic posted:

Depends how good Narset ends up being in modern.

You keep saying this, yet I don't see how she is better than baby Jace or Jace AoT in modern control decks.

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't think of a reason Narset would be good in Modern. I'm not even sure Narset is good in Standard.

Agree with this. The only thing she has is a high starting loyalty.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

If they do Full-art Basics for the set do you think they'll re-use the old art or get new ones?

I want them to re-use the old ones cause I love the Véronique Meignaud ones but I don't think they will. :(

Didn't a couple of the Ravnica land arts get reused for RTR?

They might do that again, and then everyone can revel in bucket islands!

Edit: My real hope is that Landfall comes back, so we get to do degenerate dumb poo poo with Atarka's Command.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 10, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cernunnos posted:

If they do Full-art Basics for the set do you think they'll re-use the old art or get new ones?

I want them to re-use the old ones cause I love the Véronique Meignaud ones but I don't think they will. :( Maybe they'll call her up again?

Maro says they do not reuse art in block sets.

Count Bleck posted:

Didn't a couple of the Ravnica land arts get reused for RTR?

They might do that again, and then everyone can revel in bucket islands!

...but apparently this doesn't apply to land because I looked it up.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 10, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cernunnos posted:

I want them to re-use the old ones cause I love the Véronique Meignaud ones but I don't think they will. :( Maybe they'll call her up again?

They've never reused the same frame or art for a full art to my knowledge. I think they like them to be special and unique. Plus I think there are probably some artists like Noah Bradley who would really like to have his work on a playset of full art basics.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

There's a 0% chance they don't commission new art.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bugsy posted:

You keep saying this, yet I don't see how she is better than baby Jace or Jace AoT in modern control decks.

Agree with this. The only thing she has is a high starting loyalty.

She's MUCH better than either of those Jace's. Jace AOT goes down to 2 in order to draw a card, Narset goes to 7 and threatens an extremely powerful -2 in any Modern blue deck with cards like Cryptic available. You can't underestimate that difference. Jace Beleren just doesn't do anything all that powerful...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

She's MUCH better than either of those Jace's. Jace AOT goes down to 2 in order to draw a card, Narset goes to 7 and threatens an extremely powerful -2 in any Modern blue deck with cards like Cryptic available. You can't underestimate that difference. Jace Beleren just doesn't do anything all that powerful...

Narset doesn't necessarily draw cards, just FYI

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I really don't know why they couldn't have done two colour morph dragons at common for each Brood.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Please source your quotes

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Ah, that explains what's wrong with you. Limited is the best type of magic in existence.

Call me when I can draft a deck of bolts and Bobs and not vanilla 5/5s for 3GG

cube comment in 3, 2...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

Maro says they do not reuse art in block sets.

...but apparently this doesn't apply to land because I looked it up.

There were 5 basic arts for RTR. 4 new and a reprint of Wright's cycle from RAV.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Its better than drawing, technically, it gets around poo poo with drawing card triggers.

I don't know how relevant that is in Modern, though. I just turn fish sideways and sometimes drop Wurmcoils with countermagic backup.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Its better than drawing, technically, it gets around poo poo with drawing card triggers.

I don't know how relevant that is in Modern, though. I just turn fish sideways and sometimes drop Wurmcoils with countermagic backup.

No, I mean sometimes you just don't get anything, and you have to show your opponent what it is.

Just play UWR and play Keranos.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 10, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Wezlar posted:

I really hope that says revealed from your hand

it pretty obviously does considering the template they've been going with

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Wezlar posted:

I really hope that says revealed from your hand

man imagine how sick it would be if it were reveal from your binder

Madmarker posted:

Ah, that explains what's wrong with you. Limited is the best type of magic in existence.

I agreed with this until they changed removal to a box of wet farts.

Now it's masques block constructed w/ lin sivvi unbanned.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 10, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Reveal a dragon card from your double-sleeved EDH deck to draw a card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Yay. :shrug:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zoness posted:

It would go sweet with the dragon wish that they're totally going to print.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zoness posted:

DRACOCLASH, where you reveal your binder and the player with the most unique dragons wins the clash!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Neither did Domri and it was still great and this in better colors and impossible to kill.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Neither did Domri and it was still great and this in better colors and impossible to kill.

Red Elemental Blast also does the exact same thing that Blue Elemental Blast does. They are not equally as good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

No, I mean sometimes you just don't get anything, and you have to show your opponent what it is.

Just play UWR and play Keranos.

You don't have to show your opponent.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Domri sees some Modern play, actually.

Though getting back to the ostensible subject at hand, no I don't think Narset will cause decks with 30+ instants and sorceries to see play in Modern, and since that's her favorite kind of deck I don't think she'll get used so much Hero's Downfall becomes enough of an eternal format staple to break its current price.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm ready to never see another dragon.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Starving Autist posted:

It would go sweet with the dragon wish that they're totally going to print.

Draconic Wish
RR
Sorcery
You may choose a Dragon card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand.
Exile Draconic Wish.

He wished for dragons, but not the lands to cast them.

:allears:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

That uncommon mono colored megamorphin' cycle seems really bad. But maybe I'm just comparing it to Khans where you generally got way more for your morph cost, and with Khans not around in the draft, you take the morphs you can get and these are still playable, but I dunno. The "other dragons you control get a +1/+1 counter mechanic might as well be flavor text most of the time, so what you're left with is paying 7 to unmorph a 4/4 flyer, which is playable in limited, but not something you're excited to pick highly. The white lifelinker seems like the only one you'd really be at all excited to flip up.

Even that Goblin Shaman guy that reduces dragon mana costs doesn't reduce morph costs, which sucks with Megamorph where you really want to go the morph route.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Domri sees some Modern play, actually.

Though getting back to the ostensible subject at hand, no I don't think Narset will cause decks with 30+ instants and sorceries to see play in Modern, and since that's her favorite kind of deck I don't think she'll get used so much Hero's Downfall becomes enough of an eternal format staple to break its current price.

There will be decks with 26 non creature spells, 4 snapcaster's and 4 narset's in modern. There is a reason she's selling for 50 bucks. A lot of people think she's good in multiple formats.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Just like Monastery Mentor, right?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mcmagic posted:

There will be decks with 22 non creature spells, 4 snapcaster's and 4 narset's in modern. There is a reason she's selling for 50 bucks. A lot of people think she's good in multiple formats.

People ordered Nissa at $40. She's good but not $40 good.

People are stupid.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

To add insult to injury I don't even get the +1/+1 counter on Herdchaser Dragon if I somehow manage to manifest it and then flip it up for 5G instead of 5GG. Let's make sure this poo poo isn't broken!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

There will be decks with 26 non creature spells, 4 snapcaster's and 4 narset's in modern. There is a reason she's selling for 50 bucks. A lot of people think she's good in multiple formats.

You're a lot more optimistic about this card's usage than I, and that's... kind of weird.

I still don't think this one archetype will cause Hero's Downfall's current price to be the lowest it'll ever be, though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cernunnos posted:

People ordered Nissa at $40. She's good but not $40 good.

People are stupid.

Nissa was 17 bucks during preorder. I didn't go up to 40 until after she was out already.

Count Bleck posted:

Just like Monastery Mentor, right?

Not sure of the comparison.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ever since a bunch of people missed the boat on Worldwake, it's been a requirement that every new set has a planewalker that preorders at $40.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

You don't have to show your opponent.

You in fact, do have to show your opponent what the card is if you hit a draw with Narset. You don't get to just look at the card and then he takes you at your word that its a non-creature spell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

You in fact, do have to show your opponent. You don't get to just look at the card and then he takes you at your word that its a non-creature spell.

You only show them if you draw, not if you don't...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

You only show them if you draw, not if you don't...

No poo poo, Sherlock. Don't be willfully ignorant just to argue.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

odiv posted:

To add insult to injury I don't even get the +1/+1 counter on Herdchaser Dragon if I somehow manage to manifest it and then flip it up for 5G instead of 5GG. Let's make sure this poo poo isn't broken!

They could have just given it regular morph and put "when this creature is turned face up put a +1/+1 counter on it" as rules text instead of reminder text, but no, they were insistent that they had to have new keyword for the third set or people would be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Just a quick aside, for those of you wanting a black protagonist, you do realize there was one author in particular who devoted her life to writing about these self-determined achievers who were of strong enough will to cast off the yoke of false morality, and needless regulation. I speak, of course of the works of Ayn Rand. A black protagonist would essentially be John Galt or Howard Roark.

Needless to say, John Galt would go excellently into my unrepentant rear end in a top hat EDH deck.

Because there is only one way to represent a protagonist in a cor and Galt certainly fits the concept for a black one I wrote a few pages back.

You want to argue whether or not my character is representative of Black, we can have that discussion.

Also, I, at least, said good guy and hero. I wouldn't consider Rand's protags either.

• Locked thread