Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did kids their age even watch friends? Did anyone who wasn't insufferable even watch friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

SHISHKABOB posted:

Did kids their age even watch friends? Did anyone who wasn't insufferable even watch friends?

Could you be any more wrong??

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think with the sliding timescale, Friends was off the air when these kids were born.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I've never seen Friends and all these references are lost on me.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wouldn't say "insufferable," but I have a niece who's about the same age as Annie and Kat, and thanks to DVD and streaming, she likes Friends.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

SHISHKABOB posted:

In all fairness, I'm insufferable and I have never watched Friends.

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Assignment Complete! REACTION ERROR: Collisions between atoms are not allowed in reaction programs. The reaction will now be stopped.
I really wish that Kat had designed the dormbots this year so I could lay on a terrible joke about how great it is that she's making Friends.

I don't know if this joke is going to keep on going, but I kind of hope it does for another couple of pages.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Friends might not be cool to enjoy these days but it's light and familiar viewing, idgaf

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

pik_d posted:

Could you be any more wrong??

Could you????

Well maybe

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Where's robot Seinfeld

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dead, I killed him.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I am a child of the 90's and therefore Friends was extremely my poo poo.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MikeJF posted:

It is the result of the attempts of the finest robot sociologists to understand humanity.
Well then Saints preserve us if the robots have been watching House to understand human medicine.

They should be watching Scrubs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I am a child of the 90's and therefore Friends was extremely my poo poo.

I was watching Power Rangers and later Buffy in the 90s, personally. Where's my Rita Repulsa/Xander robot team?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lurdiak posted:

I think with the sliding timescale, Friends was off the air when these kids were born.
And it was on syndicated repeat every afternoon at 5 when they were 6.

Opposite The Simpsons on BBC3.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 10, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What kind of British programming would they be watching growing up (besides Doctor Who)?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yes, Friends was MASSIVE in the UK.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mraagvpeine posted:

What kind of British programming would they be watching growing up (besides Doctor Who)?

Growing up, I watched BBC adaptations of Sherlock Holmes, the TV adaptation of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Red Dwarf, and a whole swath of British sitcoms from the seventies, on American PBS. In addition to Doctor Who. It was a hugely formative experience.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kesper North posted:

Growing up, I watched BBC adaptations of Sherlock Holmes, the TV adaptation of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Red Dwarf, and a whole swath of British sitcoms from the seventies, on American PBS. In addition to Doctor Who. It was a hugely formative experience.

A Red Dwarf themed dorm would be awesome, except it would be cold outside with no kind of atmosphere.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

A Red Dwarf themed dorm would be awesome, except it would be cold outside with no kind of atmosphere.
That would be the year 8 singles where they're all alone (more or less).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Goldfish shoals nibble at your toes. In glass bowls.

(The dorm at Space Camp reminded me a little of Rimmer and Lister's cabin on Red Dwarf, actually.)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Will they drink fresh mango juice while having fun (fun fun) in the sun (sun sun)?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

As both a '90s kid and somebody who's watched a lot of Friends lately because of Netflix, Friends is at worst adequately amusing and often hilarious, particularly in the mid-to-late seasons and often involving Lisa Kudrow (who's the only talented actor of the bunch).

(Keeping in mind that it's a multi-camera live audience sitcom, with all the limitations that implies.)

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I hope that's the fruit of knowledge and Coyote's about to slink up and ask someone 'what's the worst that could happen?' GC was missing a modern retelling of the garden of Eden story.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is gonna happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_MW8i4deRU

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Maybe it's the tree that came from the seed Ysengrin dropped way back when.

Or was that just growing into an arm?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Mahler posted:

Maybe it's the tree that came from the seed Ysengrin dropped way back when.

Or was that just growing into an arm?

An arm that was planted in the court and was growing into a tree, so maybe it is, yeah...the archive icon for the chapter is a Saturn-like planet...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Y'all made happier guesses than me, my thoughts went to this chapter being a big fight between Annie and Kat since that one tree is so central to them being friends

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Fried Chicken posted:

Y'all made happier guesses than me, my thoughts went to this chapter being a big fight between Annie and Kat since that one tree is so central to them being friends

that was a cherry tree i think, this looks to be an apple

BobTheJanitor posted:

I hope that's the fruit of knowledge and Coyote's about to slink up and ask someone 'what's the worst that could happen?' GC was missing a modern retelling of the garden of Eden story.

i was guessing it to be something along these lines, going for a big paradise lost type thing maybe. which means it'll be nothing of the sort and be about lasercows or something.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes, Friends was MASSIVE in the UK.

That must partially explain why this one Finnish guy I know loves friends.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also yo it's an apple: which means "original sin".

Ie God is finally showing up to put these LESBOOOOOOOS in their place

(their place is hell)

(Because homosexuality is a sin)

(And they're gay)

(And women)

(The typewriter mouse robot was the snake)

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

SHISHKABOB posted:

Also yo it's an apple: which means "original sin".

Ie God is finally showing up to put these LESBOOOOOOOS in their place

well the whole court thing is mans endeavour to become god, so maybe the court has finally harnessed all that energy it keeps siphoning off.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

That apple is a work of art. I'm astounded at how much Tom's work has progressed since the first chapters. That's part of the appeal of the comic for me, watching that transformation.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Worthleast posted:

That apple is a work of art. I'm astounded at how much Tom's work has progressed since the first chapters. That's part of the appeal of the comic for me, watching that transformation.

Seriously. That's one pretty apple.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Worthleast posted:

I prefer the art style around the middle tbh.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Uhhhh uhhhhh today's update uhhh

:stare:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Gunnerkrigg Court tradition of batshit pre-weekend updates is alive and well, I see.

So what's the over/under on this being a fakeout and it a completely different Mr. Carver?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
There is a character I didn't expect to see.

I'm talking about Becky Ground of course, who are you all talking about?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well. That's certainly a surprising page to start a chapter with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
Looks like this month's meeting of the Anthony Carver is a Bit of a Tosser Society may be rather interesting.