Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FuzzySkinner posted:

Think Federal League.

Also Massillon should join us. Was weird as hell having to play Boardman and Austintown Fitch growing up...loving long rear end drive that way.

Panthers then?

I was a leopard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Flikken posted:

Panthers then?

I was a leopard.

Perry always gave us fits with the Wing-T.

I was your arch nemesis more than likely.

I got spat on playing in the old cracker box. ;). Bring back "The Backyard Brawl". God that was a great series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

football fuckerman posted:

It's hard to get into comparisons, there's no good metric. By win-loss record, the Browns just had one of their better seasons of the last decade...then the OC begged his way out, the veteran QB hit free agency, the rookie QB hit rehab, our top draft picks were called out for lack of effort and Josh Gordon swung by the suspension library and got his renewed for a year. With him out, our top receiving threat was our TE whose bell has been rung repeatedly and who is also a free agent, and our main FA signing is a QB whose win-loss record is more lopsided than his birth month-year

The Bills meanwhile might be scrabbling things together. The trajectories are very different

Yeah the Bills feel like a less developed Lions (at least pre-Suh bailing and all that crap), the Browns are just perennially bad.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Perry always gave us fits with the Wing-T.

I was your arch nemesis more than likely.

I got spat on playing in the old cracker box. ;). Bring back "The Backyard Brawl". God that was a great series.

Ok, I give up.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Flikken posted:

Ok, I give up.

Uniontown Lake?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Uniontown Lake?

You have a pm.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Welp, the Browns have had great success with past their prime slot receivers. Why not go after Hartline.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He's a boundary receiver. Not a slot receiver

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Flikken posted:

You have a pm.

No Platnium :negative:.

You sent me one?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
no grenade crew

Hartline came cheap, maybe very cheap, and none of our FA receivers have been amazing but i do expect him to be useful

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He's a boundary receiver. Not a slot receiver

but he's white!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It seems that the Browns problems will not be fixed in the draft or free agency.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

It seems that the Browns problems will not be fixed

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
As a young man I was sure I'd see a Browns Superbowl in my lifetime.

Now I figured I got 30-40 years left and it's still likely. But, I'm sure I'm not the only person that's thought this and some of them are dead wrong.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RVT posted:

Now I figured I got 30-40 years left and it's still likely. But, I'm sure I'm not the only person that's thought this and some of them are dead wrong.

2005 I would have said the same about the Saints.

2006 and everything changed. Hopefully it does for the Browns too.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

RVT posted:

Projecting SB wins decided by random chance starting 10 years from now, and adjusting the prior 10 years to approach random from a startpoint of 0% during the most recent SB:

Chances of winning any number > 0 over the next 30 years: 54.02%

Over 40 years: 66.53%

10 years: 13.24%

Arbitrary methodology; random chance is likely more generous than a more rigorous analysis.

Assuming 0% chance until 2020:

10 years: 9.05%
30 years: 51.80%
40 years: 64.91%

So I'd say your chances are okay, not great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Moxie posted:

So I'd say your chances are okay, not great.

You didn't take into account how each year the Browns have a crippling terrible season alcohol intake deteriorates total expected life by maybe 5 years.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

@KevinKleps
The Browns sent an alert to the media that the big uniform unveil will be held from 6-8 p.m. at the Cleveland Convention Center on April 14
There will be an "orange carpet" event a 6, and WEWS will broadcast live from 7-8 p.m. Will be streamed on # Browns' website, too.

@RuiterWrongFAN
For skeptical fans after "logo" fiasco, # Browns changed more than just a stripe or shade of orange; 3 new jerseys, 2 pants to be unveiled

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You didn't take into account how each year the Browns have a crippling terrible season alcohol intake deteriorates total expected life by maybe 5 years.

True. The math indicates the most likely scenario is the Browns win the SB and you share a smile and embrace with the prodigal adult son who bore the violent brunt of your alcohol abuse. At that moment and only that moment you will experience a sense that you accept each other in spite of being more flawed than good. That memory, and the memory of Ben Roethlisberger Jr. throwing 7 Super Bowl TDs in an orange helmet will fade to white and be no more when you wake up.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

@KevinKleps
The Browns sent an alert to the media that the big uniform unveil will be held from 6-8 p.m. at the Cleveland Convention Center on April 14
There will be an "orange carpet" event a 6, and WEWS will broadcast live from 7-8 p.m. Will be streamed on # Browns' website, too.

@RuiterWrongFAN
For skeptical fans after "logo" fiasco, # Browns changed more than just a stripe or shade of orange; 3 new jerseys, 2 pants to be unveiled

Boooo, loving Browns just Brownsed the best football in the league.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Doctor Butts posted:

It seems that the Browns problems will not be fixed in the draft or free agency.

Well gently caress that's 20 years running now. I really was hopeful that THIS was finally the year. (It probably would have been if they had listened to the 100k study they paid for and drafted Teddy)

Browns are banking their hopes on a 36 year old never was or a 22 year old never will who is probably going to spend the entire offseason in rehab. :yikes:

Chris James 2 posted:

@KevinKleps

@RuiterWrongFAN

New pants have a big dark brown splotch in the rear end region to symbolically represent the way they take a steaming dump on the field each and every season.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

@KevinKleps

@RuiterWrongFAN

A fitting tribute to the 150th anniversary of Abe Lincoln's assassination.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cruel and Unusual posted:

A fitting tribute to the 150th anniversary of Abe Lincoln's assassination.
Sic semper patheticus

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So, what's the line on what's going to happen to Hartline?

Will it be an on the field injury or off the field injury?

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

So, what's the line on what's going to happen to Hartline?

Will it be an on the field injury or off the field injury?

He was already born white sooooo

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Browns FA news: :ins:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

say no to bats posted:

Browns FA news: :ins:

Uhh, how soon you forget our blockbuster signings:

Josh McCown
Brian Hartline

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I've come around to the realization that the Browns shouldn't bother signing big FAs because the QB situation is too pathetic. How much is Darrelle Revis or Percy Harvin really going to help this team? Are they gonna get us to the playoffs with McCown or Manziel at QB?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chris James 2 posted:

@RuiterWrongFAN

This sounds like a threat.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I've come around to the realization that the Browns shouldn't bother signing big FAs because the QB situation is too pathetic. How much is Darrelle Revis or Percy Harvin really going to help this team? Are they gonna get us to the playoffs with McCown or Manziel at QB?

No.

Especially within the AFC loving North where you have 3 perennial playoff teams. One with a future HOF'er at QB (hate typing that), One that has led his team to the Super Bowl, and the other that well...I mean is better than whatever you're going to be able to toss against them.

This team is not going anywhere until they use their 1st overall pick on a QB of some merit. They have not done this since 1999.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 10, 2015

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I was going to say that nothing short of an ownership change will fix the Browns problems, but who are we kidding that probably wouldn't work either

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hay guys I hear rumors Brees wants a trade. :classiclol:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

FuzzySkinner posted:

No.

Especially within the AFC loving North where you have 3 perennial playoff teams. One with a future HOF'er at QB (hate typing that), One that has led his team to the Super Bowl, and the other that well...I mean is better than whatever you're going to be able to toss against them.

This team is not going anywhere until they use their 1st overall pick on a QB of some merit. They have not done this since 1999.

Teams that have taken a QB first overall since 1999:
Falcons, Michael Vick
Texans, David Carr
Bengals, Carson Palmer
let's call it Giants, Eli Manning
49ers, Alex Smith
Raiders, Jamarcus Russell
Lions, Matthew Stafford
Rams, Sam Bradford
Panthers, Cam Newton
Colts, Andrew Luck

Why would the Browns want to join this group? There is nothing particularly good about taking a QB first overall. I get what you're saying, but again, if you look at this list it's obvious: picking a guy early in the first round does not cause him to become good or great

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

No.

There's a big difference between trying to sign, say Suh, and just filling holes or getting depth with reasonable vet signings.

The Browns can't even talk guys into those roles so far out of the UFA pool.

This team can't draft for poo poo so acting like they can shore up every gaping void on the team in the draft with their league leading 10 picks isn't happening. They need to sign at least some low to mid level FAs for depth and to start until something better is drafted (:lol:)

I doubt a team can ever Trent Dilfer their way to a title again no matter how historically elite the defense or solid the ground game is to cover for the poo poo show at QB. Hell, the Bengals have had enough around Dalton that if teams could still 00 Ravens the Bengals would at least have gotten past wild card weekend once somehow.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

say no to bats posted:

There's a big difference between trying to sign, say Suh, and just filling holes or getting depth with reasonable vet signings.

The Browns can't even talk guys into those roles so far out of the UFA pool.

This team can't draft for poo poo so acting like they can shore up every gaping void on the team in the draft with their league leading 10 picks isn't happening. They need to sign at least some low to mid level FAs for depth and to start until something better is drafted (:lol:)

I doubt a team can ever Trent Dilfer their way to a title again no matter how historically elite the defense or solid the ground game is to cover for the poo poo show at QB. Hell, the Bengals have had enough around Dalton that if teams could still 00 Ravens the Bengals would at least have gotten past wild card weekend once somehow.

How good is the Browns offensive line? Are Joe Thomas and Alex Mack still locked up/elite? Historically there have been offensive line dynasties. finding a QB who can "make all the throws" with no other criteria is a lot easier than finding a future hall of famer. Think Mark Rypien.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That has certainly not been the case for the Browns.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Can we, like, I dunno...sign Adrian Peterson, Wilfork, trade for Brees for a 1st and Manziel and trade Gordon and the other 1st for Calvin Johnson or something? It would be so kewl. I want to get in on this free agency trade madness. :(

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Teams that have taken a QB first overall since 1999:
Falcons, Michael Vick
Texans, David Carr
Bengals, Carson Palmer
let's call it Giants, Eli Manning
49ers, Alex Smith
Raiders, Jamarcus Russell
Lions, Matthew Stafford
Rams, Sam Bradford
Panthers, Cam Newton
Colts, Andrew Luck

Why would the Browns want to join this group? There is nothing particularly good about taking a QB first overall. I get what you're saying, but again, if you look at this list it's obvious: picking a guy early in the first round does not cause him to become good or great

To clarify? I didn't mean't for their first overall pick...not THE number 1 overall.

But you know what? That class of QB's isn't bad.

-Vick had a hell of a run in Atlanta and led them to the NFC Title game in 05.
-Carr was a sacrificial lamb..so throw him out.
-Palmer? Actually could have had a decent career if not for Kimo Von Olhoffen...actually led the BENGALS to the playoffs.
-Eli? Uh...two rings. He also knows how to turn on the bullshit in the playoffs
-Smith? I think the 49ers were a bit of a mess when he was there. When the team actually got some direction and drafted well? He did well.
-Russell? Biggest draft bust ever.
-Stafford? He's helped them to the playoffs and looked good.
-Bradford? Injuries.
-Newton? Led them to the playoffs. I feel like Ron Rivera has a lot to do with his lack of success recently.
-Luck? uh...have you seen him play?

Out of the players you listed? SEVEN have made the playoffs. That's a SEVENTY PERCENT CHANCE that you could land a qb that would be like..Alex Smith or above in terms of talent.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Moxie posted:

How good is the Browns offensive line? Are Joe Thomas and Alex Mack still locked up/elite? Historically there have been offensive line dynasties. finding a QB who can "make all the throws" with no other criteria is a lot easier than finding a future hall of famer. Think Mark Rypien.

The Browns haven't even had a Rypien-caliber QB. Seriously. Maybe Couch, but he never had a team around him worth a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fenrir posted:

The Browns haven't even had a Rypien-caliber QB. Seriously. Maybe Couch, but he never had a team around him worth a gently caress.

Jeff Garcia for sure, they just got him too late and didn't give him Garrison Hearst or TO.

• Locked thread