Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

After having played it for about an hour I can confirm the game does, in fact, own. There's more exposition but it's conveniently placed before and after levels and it's all skippable so far.

Zaphod42 posted:

Apply changes on the graphics menu does nothing. Stuck at 1440 even though native is 1920. Comeon game.

This is the only bug I've encountered so far, no crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Call me lovely but I'm stuck on the first loving level (second after the prologue)

The downstairs was super easy but holy gently caress the upstairs is infuriating. There's just no easy way to deal with this. If I focus on the guys in the room to the right, the guys below kill me. Focus on the guys below, guys to the right kill me. I can't see the guys below without zooming, but if I'm zooming to line up a shot then its too hard to react fast enough to swivel around and kill the guys coming from the other direction in time. I feel like the game is too loving fast-paced to respond in time, so I have to just play methodically and make sure to only agro one or two guys at a time, which is just frustrating with how unreliable the AI code is.

Uggggggh :argh: I'm loving the soundtrack and the style but this first level is already pretty bullshit. I can't imagine how anybody who didn't play HM1 would feel, although I guess why wouldn't you play HL1 first.

Seriously I have to put this down, its really pissing me off. Playing a level over and over to try different approaches works great and gets you into a groove. Dying within the first .2 seconds though, and respawning endlessly to die after .2 seconds isn't loving fun :v: I need more of a chance to actually get somewhere.

Maybe after work I'll give it another shot, but I really don't want to play that upstairs level again. But if this is the first level, its only going to get worse, isn't it? :smith:
I had no trouble beating all the levels on HM1. Some of them took me awhile, but I never died as fast as I do here while accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 10, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My initial impressions of the game? loving unbelievable goddamn amazing. Even the little touches like just adding more frames of animation make everything feel a lot more brutal and the killing a lot more fluid, and the soundtrack is a big step up on the first game's already amazing soundtrack.

Have to go to work in a few but I got up to the level with the akimbo John Woo Supercop and I'm having kind of a love-hate thing going on with that guy. The idea is cool but adding a (seemingly) invincible enemy seems like they're cheating a bit on the "no bosses" policy.

e: VV Oh I didn't even think to try and do anything to him while he was on the ground. Silly me! :allears:

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 10, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So in Moving Up I can't be the only one that cleared the level, then walked too close to the girl when she said to leave and get shot, right? :v:

King Vidiot posted:

My initial impressions of the game? loving unbelievable goddamn amazing. Even the little touches like just adding more frames of animation make everything feel a lot more brutal and the killing a lot more fluid, and the soundtrack is a big step up on the first game's already amazing soundtrack.

Have to go to work in a few but I got up to the level with the akimbo John Woo Supercop and I'm having kind of a love-hate thing going on with that guy. The idea is cool but adding a (seemingly) invincible enemy seems like they're cheating a bit on the "no bosses" policy.

You can't lock on to him, but you can shoot or melee him. Execute him then wince.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Anatharon posted:

So in Moving Up I can't be the only one that cleared the level, then walked too close to the girl when she said to leave and get shot, right? :v:

I did it too.

"I can't shoot her so I bet she won't shoot me either if I walk in t- oh."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
:siren: Level editor is not actually in-game yet, "coming in spring" :siren:

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Just a heads up, spare yourself the trouble of beating lvl 7 with nothing but the suspicioulsy placed green skateboard, it gets you fuckall but a bad score. :argh:

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Is this up on PSN yet or just on Steam? Is there a particular time of day that they tend to add things?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Part of me wants to call in sick so I can play this game all goddamn day, but another part of me also realizes that one of the reasons why I was able to buy this game on Steam in the first place is because I'm employed.

The struggle is real.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Call me lovely but I'm stuck on the first loving level (second after the prologue)

The downstairs was super easy but holy gently caress the upstairs is infuriating. There's just no easy way to deal with this. If I focus on the guys in the room to the right, the guys below kill me. Focus on the guys below, guys to the right kill me. I can't see the guys below without zooming, but if I'm zooming to line up a shot then its too hard to react fast enough to swivel around and kill the guys coming from the other direction in time. I feel like the game is too loving fast-paced to respond in time, so I have to just play methodically and make sure to only agro one or two guys at a time, which is just frustrating with how unreliable the AI code is.

Uggggggh :argh: I'm loving the soundtrack and the style but this first level is already pretty bullshit. I can't imagine how anybody who didn't play HM1 would feel, although I guess why wouldn't you play HL1 first.

Seriously I have to put this down, its really pissing me off. Playing a level over and over to try different approaches works great and gets you into a groove. Dying within the first .2 seconds though, and respawning endlessly to die after .2 seconds isn't loving fun :v: I need more of a chance to actually get somewhere.

Maybe after work I'll give it another shot, but I really don't want to play that upstairs level again. But if this is the first level, its only going to get worse, isn't it? :smith:
I had no trouble beating all the levels on HM1. Some of them took me awhile, but I never died as fast as I do here while accomplishing absolutely nothing.

I don't remember the level you're talking about, it's all a blur already, but it seems you have to learn the levels more to be able to play really fast. I make liberal use of corners to draw enemies closer, so far a lot of the levels have had large open areas with windows and rannged enemies that force you to work more slowly. I'm finishing the levels and having a good time, but I'm not getting high grades this way.

Of course, this may be tied to the inability to change resolution.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Up on psn. Might have to go to "game page" from the overview trailer page thing from the spring fever list.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Wow, there sure are some big rooms in this game.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
It's on PSN, but the PS+ discount hasn't showed up yet.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Zaphod42 posted:

Just cleared it all in a single combo with the chain or whatever (only just started playing the game), it was harder than the first game's first level but it's far from "bullshit". Took a bunch of tries but the best way to start for me was to run to the room on the right and take out the two guys up top with one swipe, then turn around and take out the third guy before he cuts you. By that time the pistol guy in the hallway might or might not be in the doorway and if he is you can just run or dodge roll to him and kill him too. After that just go in whichever order you want, any lone guy can be taken out by rolling to him and if there's a guy near a door just bust through it and roll to the other guy who's still standing and hit him, then kill the other guy who was knocked down by the door afterwards.

Also you can always break line of sight to deal with anyone with a gun, if they see you show up in a doorway or behind a corner they will run to your melee range for easy kills. Overall t really wasn't particularly different from the levels in the first game so if you cleared that, the only reason you can't clear that stage is because you've gotten rusty.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm having fun but the story framing is rubbing me wrong, not as enjoyable as the abstract feel of the first game and just hammering on the dumb meta hook. But man, is it fun!

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Not really feeling the level design this time. There's way too goddamn many occurrences of getting shot by an enemy that isn't even onscreen if you shift-look around. Using Tony on one level, you cannot see one shotgun guy at the end of a long corridor that only has one path to it, it's a crapshoot if he's looking at you or away when you approach. By the time he's in view, it's too late to pull back if he's facing you, the hall is too long. That and some of the new mechanics aren't fun, and seem to all be focused on only letting you play one way / use one weapon ever. I don't get it.

edit: Post below me is talking about that level. It sucks really hard.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 10, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Second Fans level is an exercise in frustration, woo.

The first floor's really awesome because it's shitloads of tiny rooms with loads of doors and vectors of approach. Second one is a big warehouse surrounded by a vast corridor full of guys with guns and also dogs :q:

It's weird, I don't remember being bothered by dying in the first one, but because the floors are a lot bigger now you lose more progress and it's more of an annoyance.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Honest Thief posted:

I'm having fun but the story framing is rubbing me wrong, not as enjoyable as the abstract feel of the first game and just hammering on the dumb meta hook. But man, is it fun!

I lolled at the "This has a twist nobody's gonna like" line at the beginning, the tone in the first game was little more trippy which was fun but don't dislike the tone in this one either.

As fun as the first one so far in general.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Second Fans level is an exercise in frustration, woo.

The first floor's really awesome because it's shitloads of tiny rooms with loads of doors and vectors of approach. Second one is a big warehouse surrounded by a vast corridor full of guys with guns and also dogs :q:

It's weird, I don't remember being bothered by dying in the first one, but because the floors are a lot bigger now you lose more progress and it's more of an annoyance.

I loved that stage with Tony. Managed to get 10+ combos with little effort. Can't wait to see full combo vids of that stage in a week or two.

There aren't collectables this time around, are there? Keep feeling like I'm missing something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Just cleared it all in a single combo with the chain or whatever (only just started playing the game), it was harder than the first game's first level but it's far from "bullshit". Took a bunch of tries but the best way to start for me was to run to the room on the right and take out the two guys up top with one swipe, then turn around and take out the third guy before he cuts you. By that time the pistol guy in the hallway might or might not be in the doorway and if he is you can just run or dodge roll to him and kill him too. After that just go in whichever order you want, any lone guy can be taken out by rolling to him and if there's a guy near a door just bust through it and roll to the other guy who's still standing and hit him, then kill the other guy who was knocked down by the door afterwards.

Also you can always break line of sight to deal with anyone with a gun, if they see you show up in a doorway or behind a corner they will run to your melee range for easy kills. Overall t really wasn't particularly different from the levels in the first game so if you cleared that, the only reason you can't clear that stage is because you've gotten rusty.

I guess I just need to Git Gud or maybe I'm too rusty.

But I blew through like the first 6 levels of Hotline Miami 1 without much issue before it started to get really hard.

Hotline Miami 2 has a pathetically easy tutorial level and then it immediately ramps up to being as hard as the last levels of HM1. That feels odd to me. A gentler curve would have been nice.

Like seriously if you just put a door in one of these two hallways on this first level it would be SO much more manageable, but as-is I just keep getting shot as soon as I loving start playing, every single time. I can't even try new things. And that's really frustrating. I need options here.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I lolled at the "This has a twist nobody's gonna like" line at the beginning, the tone in the first game was little more trippy which was fun but don't dislike the tone in this one either.

As fun as the first one so far in general.

One of the reviewers did say that one of the last levels does something that "you've never seen in a game before" :shrug:

I think the biggest problem tonally is that Hotline Miami 1 was this almost flash-game type newgrounds thing that came out of nowhere, people were discovering it and not sure what to expect out of it, it was really fresh and sounded cool and had weird stuff you didn't understand and you went in with no expectations.

HM2 we know exactly what to expect, so we the audience are just in a vastly different frame of mind than we were for the first, which makes the experience different.

Makes me think they should have changed more things up. I can't complain about more of the same though, I got what I expected.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Game's great so far, holy gently caress that security guard execute was terrible.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I'm having trouble making the game use the keyboard and mouse correctly on my PC. It's just defaulting to ps4 controller even though I don't have it plugged in.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess I just need to Git Gud or maybe I'm too rusty.

But I blew through like the first 6 levels of Hotline Miami 1 without much issue before it started to get really hard.

Hotline Miami 2 has a pathetically easy tutorial level and then it immediately ramps up to being as hard as the last levels of HM1. That feels odd to me. A gentler curve would have been nice.

Like seriously if you just put a door in one of these two hallways on this first level it would be SO much more manageable, but as-is I just keep getting shot as soon as I loving start playing, every single time. I can't even try new things. And that's really frustrating. I need options here.

I tried again and whipped up a quick and dirty 15-second webm of me clearing it with an A+. I fumble around a bit since I'm not used to the controls yet and obviously the enemy placement changes but my point is that it's the same style that worked in the first game, namely always keeping on the move. Certainly no need to be particularly slow and methodical, at least with that level.

Olavi
Aug 8, 2013
According to Steam discussion few people got the full soundtrack with the ep on the digital special edition. Would've bought that one without a blink of an eye if I had known this. Hope they will put the whole soundtrack up for sale asap.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm having trouble making the game use the keyboard and mouse correctly on my PC. It's just defaulting to ps4 controller even though I don't have it plugged in.

Yeah, it's impossible for me to play. It thinks I have a controller plugged in and I don't, and when I do it doesn't recognize it. I'm not the only person with the issue. Are you on Windows 8.1 by chance? A lot of people with the issue seem to be.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
This game really isn't fun. I loved 1 but they just made the combat such a frustrating slog in this game. The levels are way too big and melee blows because the AI is hyperaware of you if you're anywhere near them. Really disappointing.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Olavi posted:

According to Steam discussion few people got the full soundtrack with the ep on the digital special edition. Would've bought that one without a blink of an eye if I had known this. Hope they will put the whole soundtrack up for sale asap.

it is on sale in the Steam DLC page isn't it?

Olavi
Aug 8, 2013

Another Person posted:

it is on sale in the Steam DLC page isn't it?

How the heck did I miss that?!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Is there anyplace to get this on discount? I tried GMG, but no luck with the voucher on their front page.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I need deep discounts if I'm gonna buy a game that's been out for a whole three hours.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Had to go home during lunch to play this for a bit. I love the feeling of turning the volume up to 11 and being laser focused on the game, it's a special mental state that I only get from Hotline Miami.

Those people in the thread who are struggling with the difficulty, have you tried the lock-on function and the free look camera? You may want to get practiced in using those effectively, because it helps your reaction time and in figuring out where all the enemies are in a level.

You all will probably think I'm a heathen but I've only ever played this game on a 360 pad and the Vita. I think it's because I'm so used to playing Isaac with a controller. Plus in my opinion it's more satisfying to pull a trigger for finishing moves and shooting than it is clicking a mouse button. :dukedog:

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 10, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jizz Festival posted:

I need deep discounts if I'm gonna buy a game that's been out for a whole three hours.

:lol:

$17

Ughhh, wont buy that till its $2.

What are you wasting money on where you cant squeeze in a mere $17.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

You are overreacting. Your skills must be rusty from HM1, it's not particularly difficult. You just have to time getting down to enter the room to the right, if you do it way too fast you will get shot.

I just made a quick gif to show (assuming this is the part you are referring to):

http://gfycat.com/HappyYellowishErin

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

$17

Ughhh, wont buy that till its $2.

What are you wasting money on where you cant squeeze in a mere $17.

alcohol

fakeedit: mostly I just don't want to ever pay full price for anything, even if it's only like a $5 discount

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Posting in mid-play session to say that this is probably the most frustrating video game I've ever played. The AI seems even more random and psychic than in the first game, and the bigger rooms and tiny FOV mean it's way easier to get shot from offscreen or bum-rushed by a million dudes. I'm having a lot of fun but MAN I forgot how batshit hard this game is.

edit: I disagree with the rest of the criticisms the early reviews had though. I like the story in this one even if I don't properly understand it yet. I've also been lucky enough to have exactly 0 game-stopping bugs although one time I did get killed through a wall by a dude with a pipe, but that happened in HM1 too.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Man. Sure must be nice, being able to play it. I still can't, even with restarts. What do to fix?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really don't like how some characters are extremely limited in some capacity, like the guy who can't use weapons or the twins. The level where you play as every member of the mask crew is infuriating because of this. Those two are especially annoying since you'd be able to pass those levels much faster if you could just play with the normal ruleset, but when you can't it feels cheap as gently caress, and I don't think those characters are mechanically interesting either.

It's still worth it for the soundtrack, but I'm not getting as much out of this as I did the first game.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

widespread posted:

Man. Sure must be nice, being able to play it. I still can't, even with restarts. What do to fix?

reminder that it was months before most of HM1's problems were fixed (and that the whole thing was made in Game Maker).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ha, now I just lost my save file due to the recent update. My hype for this game has died pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

swimming anime posted:

e: bear guy's special ability (akimbo uzis) seems similarly hard to use effectively. but i'm more than happy to punch everything to death for the entire game.

Yeah but his MP5's don't HAVE to be used like that, he's definitely the best character out of the group simply because you start with 128 rounds to shoot people with.

Hakkesshu posted:

I really don't like how some characters are extremely limited in some capacity, like the guy who can't use weapons or the twins. The level where you play as every member of the mask crew is infuriating because of this. Those two are especially annoying since you'd be able to pass those levels much faster if you could just play with the normal ruleset, but when you can't it feels cheap as gently caress, and I don't think those characters are mechanically interesting either.

Yep, Tony got a massive downgrade now that they've taken the ability to pick anything up away, plus his main use of being able to easily OHK in melee is sort of screwed over by the black mobsters with the black suits that you can't actually OHK that seem a lot more common now.

I think the Soldier's first mission is a good example of a mission that's both pretty challenging as well as fun. Plus, basically Rambo. Some of them are just annoying (Journalist, Tony).

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 10, 2015

• Locked thread