Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

No poo poo, Sherlock. Don't be willfully ignorant just to argue.

Angry Grimace posted:

No, I mean sometimes you just don't get anything, and you have to show your opponent what it is.

Just play UWR and play Keranos.

This post pretty much says that you have to show them even if you don't draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Narset is probably better in Legacy Miracles than anywhere in Modern, because she goes really really well with Top. Whether she's good enough to actually see play is another story. If I had Miracles sleeved I'd probably be willing to go to 3x Jace 1x Narset just for shits and giggles but I'm not actually sure that's better than just 4 Jaces.

EDIT: the big thing arguing against her there is that the spell you really want to rebound in Miracles, Terminus, you can't because of the nature of Miracle triggers. You can double up on StP I guess, which is underwhelming, or on a draw spell (Dig Through Time) which is better, but there's nothing sorcery speed that you really want to resolve twice on two successive turns in that deck. Drawing an extra card a turn is really nice though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 10, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So what I'm hearing is that I should splash green in that deck for Abrupt Decay :v: Thanks for the Downfall opinions, I'll hold off for now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Just like Monastery Mentor, right?

I still believe that card will show up in Modern. It plays well with hand disruption cards and it keeps them from being late game blanks by making a powerful token out of them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

quote:

+1: Look at the top card of your library. If it's a noncreature, nonland card, you may reveal it and put it into your hand.

What's the month after April?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rending Volley

R
Instant

Rending Volley can't be countered by spells or abilities.
Rending Volley deals 4 damage to target white or blue creature.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Well I guess we get a one mana answer to twin

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Now, I have decide how I want to chance my sideboard for my Dredgevine deck since the Abrupt Decays are in there specifically for twin.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Snacksmaniac posted:

Can you spellskite that?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zoness posted:

Can you spellskite that?

Is spellskite white or blue?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What's the month after April?

Its a semantic discussion borne of feigning ignorance over something that's easy to understand with more than 5 seconds of thought. He's also saying "Card is $50, therefore it is good," apparently seriously.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zoness posted:

Can you spellskite that?

Nope!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

Can you spellskite that?

No. Spellskite isn't blue or white. It can't be a target.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

Rending Volley

R
Instant

Rending Volley can't be countered by spells or abilities.
Rending Volley deals 4 damage to target white or blue creature.

"gently caress"

- A Twin Player.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So long, Combust. Is there anything in Modern where the extra one damage or the damage prevention is worth an extra mana?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

"gently caress A Twin Player"

Fixed that for you.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

So long, Combust. Is there anything in Modern where the extra one damage or the damage prevention is worth an extra mana?

Siege Rhino?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Baneslayer ange-

siege rhino i guess lmao e;fb

I havent played enough w/ spellskite and target restrictions to know that interaction thanks for the clarification pals!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

Its a semantic discussion borne of feigning ignorance over something that's easy to understand with more than 5 seconds of thought. He's also saying "Card is $50, therefore it is good," apparently seriously.

That's being bad at card games and not understanding historical trends w/r/t planeswalker prices (Nissa WW is extremely unusual for pw prices hth).

Then there's rules illiteracy.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Draconic Tutor

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I can see Twin decks shifting to more of a Tarmo-Twin form and just side out the entire combo against decks with this card. Should be interesting to see how the meta reacts.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

Siege Rhino and the occasional Doran are the only ones I can think of off hand. Knight of the Reliquary might get too big too fast for both spells.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
What if the twin decks just played mizzium skin?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm pretty sure this entire argument is over two different parses, both reasonable, of a comma in angry grimace's original post.

This might be a new low even for the Magic thread.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

I'm pretty sure this entire argument is over two different parses, both reasonable, of a comma in angry grimace's original post.

This might be a new low even for the Magic thread.

don't you dare stop the most beautiful thing that's happened in this thread

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Zoness posted:

It is a common sideboard card.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Angry Grimace posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/developing-dragons-tarkir-2015-03-09

quote:

"We wanted to play up Dragon tribal not only in Constructed but also in Limited. The trick was how to make all of the Dragons awesome and yet have Dragons get passed around the table to a player or two who wants to play a bunch of Dragons and be rewarded for doing so. And then who's really going to want to play so many cards in a range of five to seven mana?

One of the first ideas I came up with to encourage dedicated "Dragon-drafters" was to create a cycle of Dragons with megamorph. This meant that you could put a Dragon into the three-mana slot in your deck. Because megamorph allows you to turn up creatures and put +1/+1 counters on them, these Dragons could have slightly smaller stats than the typical Dragon, given that a frequent case use would still be to deploy them effectively as 4/4 flying creatures with upside. One thing I love about megamorph is that the mechanic tweak strongly incentivizes you to go through the face-down state. We tuned these Dragon cards to a power level where they are likely to be passed around a bit to drafters who prioritize them higher than others for the Dragonness."

Outside of Thunderbreak Regent, it doesn't seem so.

I look forward to this working as planned exclusively at tables with all serious/experienced drafters and then none of the time at tables with 3+ casual/inexperienced drafters. There's something about :black101:DRAGONS:black101: that ends with me getting pick 4 Elite Scaleguards but never seeing the Uncommon dragons table (if I see them at all) in most of my Fate FNM Drafts. I also end up playing against a lot of Lightning Shriekers, but maybe I'm the one who's bad at drafting since I've been on a losing streak since FKK hit.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zoness posted:

They've done that already. The important part is that this prevents the deck from ever expecting to combo off turn 4 as long as the opponent has a red source up.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Modern is already chock full of very narrow, very powerful sideboard cards. In fact that is the problem with modern. I don't think this will help.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Attorney at Funk posted:

Draconic Tutor

This is goofy, but I like that's actually playable in draft if you first-pick an insane dragon bomb.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

Draconic Tutor

this will go great in my zirilan edh deck

no, really

it will

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

Draconic Tutor

Instant speed red tutor, huh? Sign me up for Stormbreath #5.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

They've done that already. The important part is that this prevents the deck from ever expecting to combo off turn 4 as long as the opponent has a red source up.

I haven't seen it in any twin SB's recently. That will change though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

Draconic Tutor

A red tutor without any random chance :monocle:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Narset probably isn't playable in modern currently but comparing her power level to any Jace is silly and giving any spell rebound is a really difficult ability to evaluate without playtesting.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

He was obviously referring to the case where you hit a noncreature/nonland card, since that's the actual situation where it's good and possibly comparable to the Jaces that are guaranteed to draw you a card. Saying "well you don't have to reveal the card [in the situation where Narset is way worse than the planeswalkers people are saying is better]" is missing the point of what other people are arguing against you about.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

A red tutor without any random chance :monocle:

That will never see play outside of Kaalia EDH and maybe limited if you pulled a bomb Dragon.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

That will never see play outside of Kaalia EDH and maybe limited if you pulled a bomb Dragon.

I can imagine a Standard deck that really wants to draw its Stormbreath dragons in a certain matchup maybe running it. The fact that it's an instant helps a lot.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

I can imagine a Standard deck that really wants to draw its Stormbreath dragons in a certain matchup maybe running it. The fact that it's an instant helps a lot.

Yeah I can see it as a T4 leave 3 mana open and maybe one red dude back. Then your have the option of strokin flames or searching for a stormbreath if you didnt draw one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Still pretty notable that a modern red tutor doesnt have a weird random chance stapled on it

• Locked thread