Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
My first phone was an iPhone 4, followed by N5 and N6. I've never owned a bad phone, it's been pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

FAUXTON posted:

I used the upgrade to get an Evo 3D, because once you slam your dick in a door the first time, the next couple slams happen almost by reflex and before I knew it I was the proud owner of a Sprint Galaxy Nexus on release day.
Such an apt description. I went from the original EVO to the S2, S3, Note 3, and now Nexus 6.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Same. Mine claimed it was missing system.img. Same thing with previous 5.x flashes on the N5. Weird.

Same here. Unzipping the compressed folder worked somehow.

e. Installing the SDK also hosed my computer up good, spent about an hour in Terminal force moving things that wouldn't show.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 10, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Flashin dirty on the N5 and 5.1 got root back, everything is good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have not been keeping up on 5.1 or other information so I apologize if this question is stupid in advance, but is there any chance 5.1 will allow us to disable encryption on the N6?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have not been keeping up on 5.1 or other information so I apologize if this question is stupid in advance, but is there any chance 5.1 will allow us to disable encryption on the N6?

Maybe? It's not a requirement for other OEMs now but Google might still want it on the flagship. Don't think they've said one way or the other.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Someone went through git and pulled all the merged commits and there are a couple regarding HW based encryption support for the N6 and I believe there's one for making encryption configurable as well. I don't know if there are further commits reverting them though so we might just have to wait for 5.1 to show up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well that would be cool, that should result in a large storage i/o performance bump for the N6 if true! Thanks dudes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
If 5.1 allows you to not-encrypt (or hardware encrypt for almost no speed penalty) it might actually be worth upgrading from my N5 for.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

datajosh posted:

Someone went through git and pulled all the merged commits and there are a couple regarding HW based encryption support for the N6 and I believe there's one for making encryption configurable as well. I don't know if there are further commits reverting them though so we might just have to wait for 5.1 to show up.

There were two commits there showing it was added, and two saying "disable HW crypto, hopefully temporarily" so who knows right now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Agree. Notification light doesn't actually interrupt me like sound/vibrate so should always work no matter what mode I have the phone in. This is a good change.
I agree with you because I have a Nexus 5. I'd probably be miffed if I had a Nexus 6 with its nuclear explosion level LED.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

If 5.1 allows you to not-encrypt (or hardware encrypt for almost no speed penalty) it might actually be worth upgrading from my N5 for.
Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, you can already choose not to encrypt a Nexus 5. Mandatory encryption only applies to devices that shipped with Lollipop.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Nexus 5 has been a champ today on 5.1. Only down 12% with music listening since 10:30EST

Glad the battery isn't failing, it was just 5.0.1!

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

WugLyfe posted:

Nexus 5 has been a champ today on 5.1. Only down 12% with music listening since 10:30EST

Thanks for confirming. Time to dirty flash 5.1 instead of this custom 5.0.2 ROM that I've been running for a few days.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Any predictions on when this will be pushed OTA? Much as I like to complain about the absolutely poo poo battery life, I'm still not hosed flashing the ROM.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Flashing is for closers only.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

always be closing posted:

Flashing is for closers only.

:agreed:

thanks for the help

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tunga posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, you can already choose not to encrypt a Nexus 5. Mandatory encryption only applies to devices that shipped with Lollipop.
Like a Nexus 6?
(I was responding to the post above mine about the N6. If you can decrypt the N6, or make it not have that giant performance hit, the N6 might be worth getting now).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

WugLyfe posted:

I've been railing on this 5 all day with more than normal use trying to get it to puke up with launcher redraws or app switching stalls and so far nothing. I wont call it fixed until after it's been a week but normally by now I'd already be itching to reboot it.

Crossing my fingers so hard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Great, now if they would only release a N9 image.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Any predictions on when this will be pushed OTA? Much as I like to complain about the absolutely poo poo battery life, I'm still not hosed flashing the ROM.

It's already going out now, it's just that Google's staged rollout process means only a small number of people get it the first few days, with the number increasing until it hits a point of general availability for all.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Like a Nexus 6?
(I was responding to the post above mine about the N6. If you can decrypt the N6, or make it not have that giant performance hit, the N6 might be worth getting now).
Right, yeah, missed that context.

My N5 has been awesome since updating. It was visibly jerking on the way to work when scrolling in Something and Chrome, spp switching was taking a couple of seconds, launcher was reloading every time, unusable garbage. Got to work, flashed 5.1, has been perfect ever since. Using it for dev stuff all day and then browsing/games on the way home, not one launcher redraw and no lag anywhere. Definitely need a few days to be sure but seems like it might be fixed.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 10, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

ilkhan posted:

Like a Nexus 6?

Have their been any benchmarks since 5.0.1? I've only had my N6 since January but in actual use there's no noticeable difference except when booting up compared to my N7 2013 using the same applications. Except for Heroes Charge, I should really file a bug report on that since I don't think it has anything to do with the encryption.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Anyone here go from the Droid Maxx to a LG G3 or Droid Turbo?

I like the Motorola enhancements and the fact it's really close to stock Android, but the g3's styling, camera, screen, and removable battery are a huge draw for me.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

JayKay posted:

Anyone here go from the Droid Maxx to a LG G3 or Droid Turbo?

I like the Motorola enhancements and the fact it's really close to stock Android, but the g3's styling, camera, screen, and removable battery are a huge draw for me.

I went MAXX to Turbo, would do again. I have not played with a G3 besides just in a store for a while, but all the Moto software is just awesome and the battery/camera are even better on the Turbo.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

Tunga posted:

Error stuff

I also had this problem last night, flashing the unzipped components alone allowed me to progress.
Then I was stuck in a bootloop where the phone would be optimising an arbitrary number of apps, get through them, then reboot and start optimising a different number of apps.
What eventually fixed it, 3 hours of tinkering later, was redownloading the factory image and starting from scratch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

5.1 has been pretty good for me, pretty much exactly as good as 5.0.1.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

PinnacleOrBust posted:

I also had this problem last night, flashing the unzipped components alone allowed me to progress.
Then I was stuck in a bootloop where the phone would be optimising an arbitrary number of apps, get through them, then reboot and start optimising a different number of apps.
What eventually fixed it, 3 hours of tinkering later, was redownloading the factory image and starting from scratch.

Flashing images one at a time misses the wipe flag that's part of the normal flash-all.bat. While dirty flashing is usually fine it's not unheard of for it to go tits up and present itself as a bootloop during app optimization.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

I agree with you because I have a Nexus 5. I'd probably be miffed if I had a Nexus 6 with its nuclear explosion level LED.

My N5 wakes me up when the LED flashes, it's so bright I usually turn the LED off completely.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My N5 wakes me up when the LED flashes, it's so bright I usually turn the LED off completely.
Do you sleep with your phone on your face?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

kensei posted:

I went MAXX to Turbo, would do again. I have not played with a G3 besides just in a store for a while, but all the Moto software is just awesome and the battery/camera are even better on the Turbo.
We got one of these to replace a Maxx HD, and the camera, screen, and software is considerably better. Not sure how it'd compare to the Maxx but it's fast as hell for an android phone.
The $100 credit deal for the Turbo is still in place, and they'll take any working phone for it so you can apply the tradein to the in-store checkout price. I had to google how to system reset the ancient piece of poo poo I traded in (HTC Ozone) since neither I nor the Verizon salesperson could figure out how it worked.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tunga posted:

Nah, I've been woken up by mine too before. The LED puts out a good amount of light for a dark room. My headboard kind of has cubbies so I moved the charger a little further back and that's fixed the problem for me.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Tunga posted:

Mine is on my night stand table and it makes enough light in a dark room to notice. Galaxy s4. Turn your night light out, pray for no monsters and try it out.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

FWIW lightflow is a great app for making better use of the led, and one of the options is "sleep settings" that will let you selectively or completely remove led notifications during specific times.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My N5 battery is poo poo.

It's almost a year old.

Should I just wipe data and try that or should I contact Google?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
We are all hoping the 5.1 update fixes it. It's a pretty common issue with Lollipop right now.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
So the Droid Turbo is pretty much the go to on Verizon right? I really love my HTC M7, mostly the awesome speakers and sense is pretty unobtrusive. The camera doesn't bother me because I'm not a huge photo person and the battery is still fairly decent after 2 years.

So should I just spring for a turbo next month or is the M9 worth waiting for considering what I like about the M7?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Droid Turbo or Nexus 6 are the good choices overall and specifically for Verizon. Nexus 6 also has great front facing speakers.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
new sony phone possibly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Anyone have opinions on the HTC One M9 yet? I miss the metal body of the iPhone, but I'm still too miffed at Apple to go back.