Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Selling them for $20/box seems bad with money when you could charge per cookie.

Hell, charge for the smell. One type is so rare that no other cookie compares according to Blackjack2000's findings thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

On the contrary, I was corrected via PM from a helpful goon. It was, incidentally, my first and thus far only PM. I'm so glad I signed up for PMs. Good with money.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Boot and Rally posted:

This guy is so hosed it is stressing me out.

That ought to be the motto and/or title of this thread.

Wickerman posted:

My stomach feels queasy thinking about that situation. I feel sad for the parents and angry at him.

I just wonder what his parents were thinking.

They were thinking: "Anything to get him out of our loving house."

MJBuddy posted:

I'm pretty sure enlisting adorable children into your MLM is good with money.

I was leaving a NASCAR event this past weekend (don't go to NASCAR races, they suck), and outside the track, where traffic was backed up, there were women dragging around wagons full of Girl Scout cookies. They were running right up to the cars that were waiting to get on the freeway. I think I saw one actual girl, about 200 feet away. Everyone else involved was a grown woman. They were aggressive.

I bought a box of Thanks-a-Lots.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Blackjack2000 posted:

On the contrary, I was corrected via PM from a helpful goon. It was, incidentally, my first and thus far only PM. I'm so glad I signed up for PMs. Good with money.
Please post/PM me said info!

E: Google says: Keebler Coconut Dreams

Also says not in my area. That's probably good for my health..

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 10, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SiGmA_X posted:

Please post/PM me said info!

E: Google says: Keebler Coconut Dreams

Also says not in my area. That's probably good for my health..

Actually saw stop and shop branded cookies that were clearly girl scout knockoff ploys. Didn't buy due to calories.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

"Now we've decided in all of this we don't want to live like we're poor"

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
When you have house equity you can't be poor, even when you have a net worth of -19k.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Prior to marriage she handled all the bills. Went delinquent on a couple of her CC's without my knowledge, I didn't know she needed help. I've offered to take the finances over since I'm a little better with numbers.

quote:

I don't know the exact interest rate on these cards, not sure how to find this information out.

The total lack of financial literacy among this crowd is staggering.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

I find it funny how many people think living frugally is the same as living like you're poor.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

"We've taken on some healthy eating and it's become kind of expensive."

lol

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

In the follow ups he's really fighting to defend the fact that he needs cable TV. :cmon:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Why do people put eating healthy with food costing more? Last I checked fresh veggies are cheaper than a frozen pizza... heck even organic. Maybe Organic frozen pizzas? :v:

EDIT: Is 20k in CC debt really that bad? When I bought my first home I think I racked up somewhere in the neighborhood of 18-19k in CC debt, plus new car and of course the mortgage. That debt was gone in maybe 3-4 years? Got a signature loan from a local bank so the interest rates were 3-6% between two loans and just slowly chipped away at them. In the end I got some inheritance money and when 2-3k on each was left I paid them off just to wipe them clean.

Key factor here might just be living like a loving hermit during most of that stage and spending as little as possible each month because I was a single dude that didn't do much besides xbox.

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 10, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Yeah, but how much did you spend on Diet Coke while paying it all back?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

SpelledBackwards posted:

Yeah, but how much did you spend on Diet Coke while paying it all back?

1-2 cases a day... eventually migrated to store-brand soda. Currently sick of the taste of soda in that quantity and migrated to sugar-free juice packets.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

AgrippaNothing posted:

who the gently caress buys a box of lovely cookies for 20 bucks? That's straight up bubble poo poo on a beenie baby scale.

Girl Scout cookie business is a crazy racket. I believe they sell $400 million a year in cookies.

Fake Edit: Just checked I was wrong. It is $700 million.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dietcokefiend posted:

Why do people put eating healthy with food costing more? Last I checked fresh veggies are cheaper than a frozen pizza... heck even organic. Maybe Organic frozen pizzas? :v:

Healthy eating to some people means paying $30/lb for organic grass-fed steaks and buying the organic, hand-picked apples at $5/lb, then buying $10 organic frozen pizzas.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

baquerd posted:

Healthy eating to some people means paying $30/lb for organic grass-fed steaks and buying the organic, hand-picked apples at $5/lb, then buying $10 organic frozen pizzas.

While they let the steaks and apples go bad in the fridge.

That thread should be called "Help, I lived well beyond my lifestyle and need to fix it without making any difficult changes!"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If you work out a lot (which you should if you want to be healthy), you'll need to eat a fuckton of vegetables to make a dent in your caloric needs. Veggies are for micronutrients, not really worth mentioning in terms of how many calories they'll make up unless you're a sedentary 130 pound person. That said you don't need to buy everything organic either.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

If you work out a lot (which you should if you want to be healthy), you'll need to eat a fuckton of vegetables to make a dent in your caloric needs. Veggies are for micronutrients, not really worth mentioning in terms of how many calories they'll make up unless you're a sedentary 130 pound person. That said you don't need to buy everything organic either.

To hopefully put a dagger in this tangent before it goes off the rails, no one is bulking up on veggies.

This guy is fuuuuuuuuuucked:

quote:

Title says it all. For most of the years since college I've been mentally unfit for work, so not only have I let my loans default, I've lost most skills that would get me an income anywhere near allowing me to make regular payments on the defaulted credit, which is still accruing interest at 2.5%. Most of the last few years I've been stuck in jobs paying $15/hour or less, so covering my loans had never been an option. I'm teaching myself web development right now, because I've heard you could be making near $100,000 after a few years, when I figure I'll actually be able to put a dent in debt. Until then, is there anything anyone could suggest I investigate? Or am I just generally hosed?

If you're wondering how I could get myself in this hole in the first place, my family never warned me how grand a $130,000 loan would be, my uncles all own apartment buildings in Los Angeles and were expecting me to go into the family business, before I spent the last few years in and out of psych wards/recovery environments.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

quote:

I'm teaching myself web development right now, because I've heard you could be making near $100,000 after a few years

Dude really is crazy.

Folly
May 26, 2010

baquerd posted:

I think that it's also a problem about not knowing how to cook so you don't have an stocked kitchen.

Lets make our own pizza:
1.5 cups flour: $0.15 ($2 for 5lbs)
2 tbsp olive oil: ($0.40) ($5 for a jar)
1 can crushed tomatoes: $0.70 ($.70 - double for organic)
2 tsp garlic: $0.?? ($whatever - I can't remember this one)
Salt Negligible (negligible)
Cheese $2
Pepperoni $1

Pizza: $3.50 ($8 to $10) OMG you guys, grocery stores are so expensive. It actually costs more to buy food there than to just order a pizza. AND you have to clean up!!!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Less pizza recipes, more bad with money.

From reddit:

quote:

Background for reference. I'm 30, married, no kids. Wife has marginal income and I earn roughly 55k before taxes. Government job with benefits. 5k in savings. Nearly 180k in federal student loan debt. Have been on IBR for last 1-2 years and paid nothing due to lower income (then, soon to expire). Goal is to get forgiveness in 10 years for public sector work.
Situation: I recently attempted to go through the pre-application process for my wife and I. Turned down because my debt to income ratio is above 50% (67% specifically) and therefore wasn't able to be approved. So my question is...with the fact scenario at hand is there any hope of getting a house before I'm 40?

I'm 180k in debt and want to buy a house, halp

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Folly posted:

I think that it's also a problem about not knowing how to cook so you don't have an stocked kitchen.

Lets make our own pizza:
1.5 cups flour: $0.15 ($2 for 5lbs)
2 tbsp olive oil: ($0.40) ($5 for a jar)
1 can crushed tomatoes: $0.70 ($.70 - double for organic)
2 tsp garlic: $0.?? ($whatever - I can't remember this one)
Salt Negligible (negligible)
Cheese $2
Pepperoni $1

Pizza: $3.50 ($8 to $10) OMG you guys, grocery stores are so expensive. It actually costs more to buy food there than to just order a pizza. AND you have to clean up!!!

Woah there, not so fast. You didn't include the $10 bottle of ultra purified Antarctic glacier water you need for the dough.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

baquerd posted:

You're forgetting gluten free snacks and "super foods." Its very important to buy two pomegranates that will sit on top of the microwave for two months before being thrown out. They also need a juicer.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Barry posted:

Dude really is crazy.

Well, it is possible to be making $100k+ in web dev or other related tech if you're quite good and have a few solid years of experience, but not if you're a mental case and "unfit for work". Also you need to move to SF/Seattle/NYC, in which case your $100k is not as rich as it might seem.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Guinness posted:

Well, it is possible to be making $100k+ in web dev or other related tech if you're quite good and have a few solid years of experience, but not if you're a mental case and "unfit for work". Also you need to move to SF/Seattle/NYC, in which case your $100k is not as rich as it might seem.

Oh totally. It's just weird how he says so matter of factly that he's going to make that much in a few years after being a self-taught web developer and will then be putting a dent in his debt.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Barry posted:

It's just weird how he says so matter of factly that he's going to make that much in a few years after being a self-taught web developer and will then be putting a dent in his debt.

Yeah, it's almost like he has mental problems.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Eating organic/natural doesn't have to put you into debt. Buy organic at Costco - organic wheat is cheap as gently caress, and now you've got organic bread. Organic rice, quinoa, eggs, veggies/fruit, preserves, peanut butter, etc. etc. are cheap as gently caress there, too.

Non-organic, but high quality natural food like Kerrygold butter, Tillamook cheddar, and thick cut uncured smoked bacon is all there too. The only thing you need to stay away from is the snack aisle - lots of very delicious but expensive stuff in there like teriyaki pork jerky, chocolate-covered fruit, etc.

Bad with money is buying the artisanal organic glacier water... at Whole Foods or a local supermarket.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I love the don't want to live like I'm poor guy. Most of his posts have been downvoted into double digit negatives. A shame that conceals most of the stupidity.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Devian666 posted:

Most of his posts have been downvoted into double digit negatives. A shame that conceals most of the stupidity.

Welcome to reddit.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Nocheez posted:

To hopefully put a dagger in this tangent before it goes off the rails, no one is bulking up on veggies.

This guy is fuuuuuuuuuucked:
How to make $100k/yr as a self taught web developer:
Step 1: go back in time to the dot com bubble

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

cowofwar posted:

How to make $100k/yr as a self taught web developer:
Step 1: go back in time to the dot com bubble

You guys realize this isn't some impossible thing right? I make the equivalent of six figures in the bay area and I'm a self taught developer (web, software, etc).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's definitely possible but he shouldn't act like it's some automatic, for sure thing. Not everyone can handle serious* programming.

* meaning, programming non-trivially-sized projects

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Dessert Rose posted:

Welcome to reddit.

PRAISEBOT posted:

HELLO I AM PRAISE BOT IT APPEARS YOU HAVE NOT PROPERLY PRAISED REDDIT IN THIS POST SO I WILL NOW BE THE FIRST loving POST YOU SEE IN THE THREAD HOW BOUT THAT

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

You guys realize this isn't some impossible thing right? I make the equivalent of six figures in the bay area and I'm a self taught developer (web, software, etc).

+1 - I crossed over from our operations to our IT group when I had the chance & the skills they needed for some projects.

Farsighted, maybe, but certainly realistic.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Cicero posted:

It's definitely possible but he shouldn't act like it's some automatic, for sure thing. Not everyone can handle serious* programming.

* meaning, programming non-trivially-sized projects

You'd be suprised maybe.

In Pheonix we have a low cost of living and entry level WordPress theme devs can make $40k+ our of the gate. It does seem to cap around $65k for PHP developers and bump up a bit for more experienced application/software development. Median home price is 1/4 of the bay area so $60k a year is pretty drat good considering.

I guess my point is jobs are still somewhat plentiful for lovely small scale developers like myself :p I'm at $60k with 4 years experience and a Bachelor of Arts. But you are right, it's not automatic.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

BossRighteous posted:

You'd be suprised maybe.
I'm not surprised at the salaries, I'm just saying not everyone can handle programming as a job. It's not rocket science, but it's not trivial either.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

I make the equivalent of six figures in the bay area

What does this mean?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Mantle posted:

What does this mean?
COL adjusted salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Mantle posted:

What does this mean?
He's talking about adjusted for cost of living. The thing is, housing in the bay area is so expensive that getting "the equivalent of six figures in the bay area" in cheaper parts of the country is actually pretty easy, see: http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/sunnyvale-ca/reno-nv/100000

quote:

A salary of $100,000 in Sunnyvale, California could decrease to $40,229 in Reno, Nevada

• Locked thread