Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The problem with "quantum physics" is that it is usually disinformation for questioning sheeple. They'll look into the truth, find a bunch of garbage (like Icke, paid Illuminati shill) and decide that all conspiracy theories aren't worth looking into.

I mean, even if we were to accept the official 9/11 narrative, what is that but a conspiracy theory? You have 9 men who make a secret pact with each other and then go about changing the world. Those 9 men had ties to a broader, globalist agenda (Al-Qaeda) that, presumably, also has similar "right-sized" secret pacts. Or the invasion of Iraq, where the Bush government cooked the books (Yellow Cake!) to wage war on a country utterly unrelated to 9/11 to fulfill the goal of the Project for the New America Century/Neocons-in-general.

If those are too recent for you and you want to let history shift out the "crazy controversy" how about Operation GLADIO or MK-ULTRA?

We all believe in conspiracy theories. It is just a matter of which "conspiracy theories" we believe in. The Illuminati exploit this through information oversaturation. Have you ever wondered why every high school curriculum includes "1984" but vanishingly few include "A Brave New World"? One talks about the past of totalitarianism, so like racism, it is something that used to be a big deal but no longer happens as opposed to the present and future of totalitarianism. Be an America, drink Bud Light, watch NASCAR, talk about the Kardashians, Orgy-Porgy! The government's watching you is an absurd idea, until Snowden leaks proof that the government is. And then Snowden and Manning are traitors! Unamerican!

It is very deft. Control, but not too much control. So we don't notice that all our media comes from the same sources because it occasionally allows itself to disagree, thereby granting us the much sought-after illusion of freedom and of choice.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
My friends have you heard of the revolutionary new science of quantum spirituality?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

snorch posted:

My friends have you heard of the revolutionary new science of quantum spirituality?

I think politicians have been perfecting that for the entirety of human history.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

The problem with "quantum physics" is that it is usually disinformation for questioning sheeple. They'll look into the truth, find a bunch of garbage (like Icke, paid Illuminati shill) and decide that all conspiracy theories aren't worth looking into.

I mean, even if we were to accept the official 9/11 narrative, what is that but a conspiracy theory? You have 9 men who make a secret pact with each other and then go about changing the world. Those 9 men had ties to a broader, globalist agenda (Al-Qaeda) that, presumably, also has similar "right-sized" secret pacts. Or the invasion of Iraq, where the Bush government cooked the books (Yellow Cake!) to wage war on a country utterly unrelated to 9/11 to fulfill the goal of the Project for the New America Century/Neocons-in-general.

If those are too recent for you and you want to let history shift out the "crazy controversy" how about Operation GLADIO or MK-ULTRA?

We all believe in conspiracy theories. It is just a matter of which "conspiracy theories" we believe in. The Illuminati exploit this through information oversaturation. Have you ever wondered why every high school curriculum includes "1984" but vanishingly few include "A Brave New World"? One talks about the past of totalitarianism, so like racism, it is something that used to be a big deal but no longer happens as opposed to the present and future of totalitarianism. Be an America, drink Bud Light, watch NASCAR, talk about the Kardashians, Orgy-Porgy! The government's watching you is an absurd idea, until Snowden leaks proof that the government is. And then Snowden and Manning are traitors! Unamerican!

It is very deft. Control, but not too much control. So we don't notice that all our media comes from the same sources because it occasionally allows itself to disagree, thereby granting us the much sought-after illusion of freedom and of choice.

Source your quotes.

Edit: The "conspiracies actually exist" point is an important one, but that doesn't excuse worrying about "the Illuminati."

Edit 2: A good rule of thumb to keep in mind is that real conspiracies generally involve fairly small numbers of people with human rather than alien motivations. The idea of "the Illuminati" fails on both counts.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 11, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

It's only called a conspiracy theory when the evidence is shaky at best, or simply wrong. For example, the evidence is strong that a bunch of terrorists hijacked some planes and crashed them into the WTC. That's not a conspiracy theory, although it did involve a conspiracy. 9/11 being caused by the lizard people from the illuminati is a conspiracy theory: it lacks substantial evidence and appeals to the kind of person who already believes that the illuminati controls everything (an idea that also lacks substantial evidence).

People love confirmation bias, especially conspiracy theorists

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think we all know who is really pulling the strings

They use our blood in their rituals

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yes. Al-Qaeda planning 9/11, the Bush administration planning the invasion of Iraq and steroid use in baseball were all super small cabals and no one could have predicted their actions.

:ranbowdash:Especially since, evidently, the title "conspiracy theory" only applies to things that are prima facie unsupported and untrue. Anything that might look like a conspiracy theory but actually happened is just history.:ranbowdash:

:jerkbag: "The official narrative cannot fail, it can only be failed!" :jerkbag:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Yes. Al-Qaeda planning 9/11, the Bush administration planning the invasion of Iraq and steroid use in baseball were all super small cabals and no one could have predicted their actions.

:ranbowdash:Especially since, evidently, the title "conspiracy theory" only applies to things that are prima facie unsupported and untrue. Anything that might look like a conspiracy theory but actually happened is just history.:ranbowdash:

:jerkbag: "The official narrative cannot fail, it can only be failed!" :jerkbag:

How was the invasion or Iraq a conspiracy? Bush just banked on garbage intelligence being good enough for everyone to do what he wanted. Even at the time everyone knew he was lying and he in fact worked very hard and very publicly to contort his language to avoid actually lying.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Al-qaeda in the narrow sense was a fairly small organization. The size of the group of people who deliberately lied about intelligence concerning Iraqi WMDs is hard to determine but probably not very large; groupthink probably played a bigger role than conspiracy (although I think a lot of people on this forum disagree with me on this point). Steroid use in baseball hardly counts as a conspiracy; it was an open secret for decades. None of these are comparable to the idea that a single group founded in 1776 and outlawed in 1784 has been running world politics ever since.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Jack Gladney posted:

Even at the time everyone knew he was lying and he in fact worked very hard and very publicly to contort his language to avoid actually lying.

No. The intelligence put forward and justifications for the Iraq War were straight up lies. "everyone" did not know it was lies. People certainly should have been more skeptical, though.

I don't know how old you are but even though I was young I remember the trumped up threats, claims of intelligence on weapons of mass destruction, mobile weapons labs, Colin Powell at the UN. It was false intelligence knowingly propagandized to justify an aggressive war.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"The entire US intelligence apparatus and American mass media" = "a small group"

You heard it here first folks!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

"The entire US intelligence apparatus and American mass media" = "a small group"

You heard it here first folks!

You're speaking as though the entire intelligence community and the entire mass media were deliberately lying. That clearly wasn't the case; read, say, Fiasco by Tom Ricks for a more nuanced (but still appropriately critical) view.

Misdiagnosing the problem as "lots and lots of evil people lied" is counterproductive if your goal is to stop something like that from happening again.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I agree. They were being manipulated through false information from people like the trilateral commission (via Wolfowitz and other neocons) as well as project for a New American century. (Cheney, Bush Sr) and other illuminati front groups. People in the media had to go along because of things like project monarch, but some celebrities are able to break through that and speak out while others are that break their conditioning stay silent because of the perks their lifestyle gives them.

We all agree we were tricked into a war via a complaint or, at best, ineffective, media. The question is: why and does this "count" as a "conspiracy"? Even if we leave out the proven illuminati connections, it sure looks like one he'll of a conspiracy to me! Illegally invading a sovereign nation using trumped up evidence? How is that not a classic conspiracy theory?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

why illuminati, thats retarded. its all hosed up and horrible without throwing around idiotic poo poo like "illuminati front groups"

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

are you literally insane. i think the ruling class should be guillotined and you are weirding me out

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Think about it, and then you'll know that the trouble is inside you.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

trilateral commission

quote:

illuminati front groups

quote:

project monarch

quote:

proven illuminati connections

This is bordering on self-parody.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

reptilian aliens strike me as more plausible than illuminati

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

No. The intelligence put forward and justifications for the Iraq War were straight up lies. "everyone" did not know it was lies. People certainly should have been more skeptical, though.

I don't know how old you are but even though I was young I remember the trumped up threats, claims of intelligence on weapons of mass destruction, mobile weapons labs, Colin Powell at the UN. It was false intelligence knowingly propagandized to justify an aggressive war.

I was in college and drove all night to march in New York in 2003. I still have the pin. Maybe I wasn't the right audience for those particular lies, but never did I hear a single serious discussion over whether Iraq had chemical weapons.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Jack Gladney posted:

I was in college and drove all night to march in New York in 2003. I still have the pin. Maybe I wasn't the right audience for those particular lies, but never did I hear a single serious discussion over whether Iraq had chemical weapons.

You were not the right audience for those particular lies. There's been plenty of disturbing polls that most Americans still think Iraq had something to do with 9/11 and that they had weapons of mass destruction.

The protests against the war were large, but they were not that large, nor were they sustained.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I get that you aren't there yet, it will come. For now, just forget about the Illuminati and let's just talk about the conspiracies on the ground that we all agree happened.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I don't get how deep.. this rabbit hole goes.. who knew that the conspiracy wouldn't only not be televised, but would also be stupid and intellectually lazy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
But it was televised. We all saw the building up the Iraq war and what a poo poo-show that was. We're experiencing a similar thing in Syria right now. Originally it was "Assad delenda est" and while that never caught enough steam for a boots-on-the-ground invasion, we did fund a bunch of military groups to take him out and establish their own presence in Syria (similar to how we used the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan). Now Assad is close to an ally while the powers-that-be say, "ISIS delenda est". Either way, they get their boots-on-the-ground invasion of Syria. The rest is just theater.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Do you see how the train of thought from "shitshow in Iraq and Syria, our empire is a horrific murdering piece of poo poo like many empires before it, and this is something which can be analyzed in rational ways" falls apart on the way to "Illuminati"?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Like I said, I'm willing to leave that aside for now and focus on the conspiracies that we all agree have happened and are happening. I mean, we have people seriously arguing that "everybody knew Bush was lying in making the case for invading Iraq". That's a whole lot crazier than anything I've said.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Shbobdb posted:

Like I said, I'm willing to leave that aside for now and focus on the conspiracies that we all agree have happened and are happening. I mean, we have people seriously arguing that "everybody knew Bush was lying in making the case for invading Iraq". That's a whole lot crazier than anything I've said.

Who do you think was responsible for perpetrating the 9/11 attacks?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
While "Al Qaeda" is too trite of an answer and "19 men affiliated with Al Qaeda" discounts a lot of the support they received and feeds into a "heroic" understanding of history, either answer serves well enough for our purposes.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shbobdb posted:

I mean, we have people seriously arguing that "everybody knew Bush was lying in making the case for invading Iraq". That's a whole lot crazier than anything I've said.

Well, I don't know about that, Mr. "Project Monarch is real".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
:jerkbag: That's "Dr. Believes Project Monarch is Real" to you.

It's two-thousand-loving-fifteen, learn to swim.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mods rename thread to 'Sex Kittens and Boner Auras' TIA

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I appreciate the effort Shbobdb but it's just not the same without a legitimate crazy person. :saddowns:

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Shbobdb posted:

Learn to SWIM.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Shbobdb posted:

Go take your meds Dr citizen.

e:

ps in about two years i'll join a group run by people calling themselves aluminati (for reals~) so you better watch out for any black helicopters then~

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 11, 2015

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Shbobdb posted:

But it was televised. We all saw the building up the Iraq war and what a poo poo-show that was. We're experiencing a similar thing in Syria right now. Originally it was "Assad delenda est" and while that never caught enough steam for a boots-on-the-ground invasion, we did fund a bunch of military groups to take him out and establish their own presence in Syria (similar to how we used the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan). Now Assad is close to an ally while the powers-that-be say, "ISIS delenda est". Either way, they get their boots-on-the-ground invasion of Syria. The rest is just theater.

You are already attributing conspiracy to events in Syria before you could reasonably do so. What you wrote in that quote makes some sense if you already believe that the illuminati are orchestrating wars for their own ends.

An uprising in Syria against a dictator, against a backdrop of many similar uprisings across the Arab world was portraited by the media and the "new media" (online bloggers, online magazines etc) as people taking back their rights and freedom against evil dictators, in egypt especially this seemed like the case. When it happened in Syria the narrative continued and the media stoked up that we should be doing something to help these poor people. No one actually wanted boots on the ground and the situation never spiralled enough to force it. As a consequence of the civil war ISI seized an opportunity to send in experienced guerilla fighters into Syria and establish a strong presense as al-Nusra, which was very succesful, probably because of their battle experience to fight against Assad, eventually merging back with ISI and forming ISIL. Eventually it became obvious that the uprising had been taken over by people even more unplasent than Assad with designs beyond Syria. Now the western governments are forced to essentially ally with Assad to show people that they are dealing with ISIS

Geopolitics, electionering, religious and tribal differences and an hysterical media explain what is happening in Syria, with out any need for lizard puppet masters.

Also, i would be interested to know why the illuminati wants a boots on the ground invasion of Syria?

(p.s my summarizing of Syria and ISIS rise my well be a bit off, but I think that's the gist of it)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Shbobdb posted:

I get that you aren't there yet, it will come. For now, just forget about the Illuminati and let's just talk about the conspiracies on the ground that we all agree happened.

You're what this thread needed. I want to Add You on Facebook.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

You're speaking as though the entire intelligence community and the entire mass media were deliberately lying.

They were though??

Edit: That's what they do. Is there honestly debate about whether or not the media and intelligence communities lie to the public?

Larry_Mullet fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 11, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Sure, it just so happens that we are in atari when it comes to Syria.

Nope, nothing to see here, just one of those inevitable conflicts that pops up. I mean, you didn't see the narrative change course so fast it gave everyone whiplash? "We must invade Syria to stop Assad! A red line has been crossed! Chemical weapons!" and that didn't take so then it becomes "We must stop ISIS! Terrorists running wild over the Middle East will invade your home and chop your head off!" I think it is super cliche to talk about "1984" but, come on, this is a classic "We have always been at war with Eastasia" moment.

But remember on top of that, like the Mujahadeen (who became the Taliban who harbored Al Qaeda who perpetrated 9/11) the CIA gave massive material support to what would become ISIS. The crazy dictator line wasn't working because it was waaay too similar to Iraq and the war weary public just won't bite. But a sizeable portion of the American populace is still afraid of Muslims breaking into their house at night and killing them in their bed. Now that is something people will get people to bite! The right enemy wasn't there, so it became necessary to create him!

As to the "why", I'm not entirely sure. But the Project for a New American Century basically outlines the "how". Sure, they took a hit after the Iraq War, but I think everybody here realizes that despite the poor PR, it isn't like our politicians actually learned anything from that debacle. The ideology behind the PNAC is still very much the driving force behind American foreign policy. It also ties into the NSA/wiretapping/government surveillance since that was also a core component of the PNAC plan.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012
http://www.chomsky.info/articles/199102--.htm This was written in 1991, I would recommend reading it all Shbobdb, it might shine some light on the "why".

What will be the results of war? Rivers of blood.

If the U.S. military is not curtailed, tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands or even a million Arab lives will be lost.
Thousands and perhaps tens of thousands of U.S. lives will be lost.
Countless Third World lives will be lost via inflated oil prices and international economic turmoil.
There will be world wide economic recession. Mideast destabilization with unknown repercussions. Increased nightmares for Palestinians. Possible disaster for Israel. Possible ecological devastation.
The peace dividend will be reduced or lost. Military expenditures will be reenlarged.
The Hessianization of the U.S. and subordination of international affairs to U.S. mercenary might will proceed.
A new "enemy," the Moslem world, will help scare the U.S. public into tolerating outrageous defense appropriations.
And, if all goes as planned, U.S. corporate officials and state policy-makers will continue to oversee vast wealth and unfettered power -- the real motive for U.S. intervention in the first place.

Larry_Mullet fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 11, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

"I'm willing to leave aside a bunch of unsubstantiated bullshit now that you've pointed out how stupid and insane it all is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Larry_Mullet posted:

They were though??

Edit: That's what they do. Is there honestly debate about whether or not the media and intelligence communities lie to the public?

Never blame malice when ignorance is more likely. Certain members of the Bush administration and members of the intelligence community lied, the media just repeated what they had been told. And a lot of people on the left were hardline against the war as well, pointing out correctly that the evidence was shaky at best.

And there were a large number of people in the intelligence community who were saying, publicly, "No, this is bullshit, there is not any evidence of WMDs in Iraq" but I guess that doesn't count?

Let's not let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory, I guess

• Locked thread