Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Young Freud posted:

I read the first couple chapters of the manga adaptation and literally :rolleyes: when the big-titted mechanic was introduced.

Is this your first manga, or something? Just be happy that the main dude didn't get a nose bleed when he saw her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I much prefer Live Die Repeat over the book, outside of maybe the powered armour design.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

I much prefer Live Die Repeat over the book, outside of maybe the powered armour design.

Agreed. AYNIK is just so grimdark with it's wacky concept and they literally spend most if the last part just explaining a new plot element that only exists to make the ending more depressing. It's also unfortunate that the manga had more female characters yet they're all so terrible that it doesn't matter. There's a character that pretty much exists to not wear alot of clothes and swoon over how dark and serious the main character has become.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

I don't like this poster. It's way too clean for a movie that made a point to show the grit and grime of the ship. Alien was notable 35 years ago for being a sci-fi spaceship feature that went completely opposite the trend at the time where spaceships were clean, white, and bright like a dentist's office.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Meatwave posted:

I don't like this poster. It's way too clean for a movie that made a point to show the grit and grime of the ship. Alien was notable 35 years ago for being a sci-fi spaceship feature that went completely opposite the trend at the time where spaceships were clean, white, and bright like a dentist's office.

I think you're overstating this a bit...

Also, Star Wars came something two years before it, if you want to go with functional and used-universe science fiction.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Young Freud posted:

I think you're overstating this a bit...

Also, Star Wars came something two years before it, if you want to go with functional and used-universe science fiction.

functional catwalks with no barriers

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

functional catwalks with no barriers

The Empire had very poor safety standards because they were evil and didn't care about the people who would have to go out there and use those catwalks. Give me my no-prize.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Meatwave posted:

Also it tells you nothing about the movie. It doesn't have to feature a xenomorph but this poster could easily be for Interstellar or even Inception.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ThatPazuzu posted:

Also it tells you nothing about the movie. It doesn't have to feature a xenomorph but this poster could easily be for Interstellar or even Inception.

It's for the 35th anniversary, I think that's one of the few times where the "remember this cool scene/prop?" school of poster design has its place.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, accurate or not, that is a lame poster for Alien. With so much iconic and unique imagery to draw on, why would you choose the friggin sleep pods?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm not a huge fan of that poster, but I do love that pod scene. It's haunting, and beautiful.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

76: Revenge of The Noir Title Recycling Project (Part 3 of 4)

Raw Deal

Road House

the Prowler

Two of a Kind

Without Warning

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, accurate or not, that is a lame poster for Alien. With so much iconic and unique imagery to draw on, why would you choose the friggin sleep pods?

It's the 35th anniversary of a movie with a lot of sequels. They're inviting you to go back to the beginning.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
6-pack o' sleaze.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I saw "Until the End of the World" today, the full director's cut, which is a fantastic movie for all but about 30 minutes towards the end, and wondered how on earth anyone would try to market it back in the day.

The US got this poster:

France got this:

The UK got... this, which is up there with that "Stalker" poster as far as inaccurate covers go:

Yeah this totally looks like it deserves the PG-rating.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Someone posted some cool-rear end Polish 70s/80s posters on the last page and I'd be remiss if I didn't chip in with some of my favourite Kieslowski ones from that era:

No End, Blind Chance, A Short Film About Killing, A Short Film About Love. The one for Blind Chance, in particular, is a personal favourite, drat

Allyn fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 8, 2015

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Meatwave posted:

I like this a lot because it seems like the movie itself has been preserved in a sleep pod for years and is just as fresh and great as it was 35 years ago. The grit and grime of everything from the AvP movies to the comics and games have not tarnished the classic that is Alien. Also, we all know what happens in Alien, and seeing those pods gets me excited about what is happening in the near future of the crew because I KNOW what is going to happen and it is no less excited than the first time I saw the movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pesky Splinter posted:

...Cóżeś ty za Pani... ('What have you for the lady' I think)

This poster is loving beautiful.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Fat Lou posted:

I like this a lot because it seems like the movie itself has been preserved in a sleep pod for years and is just as fresh and great as it was 35 years ago. The grit and grime of everything from the AvP movies to the comics and games have not tarnished the classic that is Alien. Also, we all know what happens in Alien, and seeing those pods gets me excited about what is happening in the near future of the crew because I KNOW what is going to happen and it is no less excited than the first time I saw the movie.

I sort of like this from a bit of a different perspective, though. The shot of the sleep pods is almost 'buglike' Six 'legs' and the canopies opening up like insect wings.

I don't know if it's intentional or not, but sort of the idea that the Alien is sort of biomechanical bug that hatches out of people, and people in that shot hatching out of a biomechanical bug maybe fits. (I could just be seeing something that doesn't exist, though...)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There are 7.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The sleeping pod room is basically a medical facility so it makes sense in the movie for it to be one of the few places on the ship that's clean and clutterless. Whether it's representative of the movie as a whole is another question.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The poster looks too iPody while in the movie it looks like a bathroom.

I don't dislike them using the sleeping pods, it just looks off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, it's too bluey white. Needs to be tinted more towards an 80s beige-y white.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It's been 35 years though. They need to start looking like yellowed and brown Super Nintendos if they're made out of anything like the same sort of plastic.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Robert Denby posted:

I saw "Until the End of the World" today, the full director's cut, which is a fantastic movie for all but about 30 minutes towards the end, and wondered how on earth anyone would try to market it back in the day.

The US got this poster:

France got this:

The UK got... this, which is up there with that "Stalker" poster as far as inaccurate covers go:

Yeah this totally looks like it deserves the PG-rating.

Reading the synopsis and seeing what year it was made REALLY makes me want to see this but it's probably not as dreamy-soft and VHS-y as I'm imagining.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

echoplex posted:

Reading the synopsis and seeing what year it was made REALLY makes me want to see this but it's probably not as dreamy-soft and VHS-y as I'm imagining.

It's similar in aesthetic to Cronenberg films like Videodrome, but with a tone and content closer to, like, Michael Winterbottom's Code 46.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Antti posted:

The sleeping pod room is basically a medical facility so it makes sense in the movie for it to be one of the few places on the ship that's clean and clutterless. Whether it's representative of the movie as a whole is another question.

I think it works in the vein of creating expectations about the movie that are then subverted, but I'm not sure that line works on a movie everyone and their grandmother knows what's up with.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I like how the font makes "Island" feel like an afterthought, like they added the word to the title at the last minute or just ran out of steam.

"The MAD DOCTOR of BLOOD! Uh, Island, or whatever."

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

This is from the people that did Rare Exports, so I'm in.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cythereal posted:

I think it works in the vein of creating expectations about the movie that are then subverted, but I'm not sure that line works on a movie everyone and their grandmother knows what's up with.

They simply gave that Alien poster a Prometheus aesthetic - presenting it as a 'Prometheus 2' to go along with the actual Prometheus 2 that's coming up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, Rare Exports was a blast.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
That's what I should have re-watched over Christmas.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Was it really necessary to change their faces from the international poster?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Probably to show a less unified front, so they don't look like they're on the same team.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Was talking about this movie in another thread, and wanted to share the poster:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I loved that movie as a kid.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Smae here, and It's been on my "Should rewatch that" list for some time.

Alternative posters:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

kiimo posted:

Probably to show a less unified front, so they don't look like they're on the same team.

Or you know, mild concern over the exploding airplane right behind them. Nothing major, but a mild inconvenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

kiimo posted:

Or to make Samuel L. Jackson more recognizable. His face is clearer and in the US poster he looks more in control.