Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

What's Thunderdome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Two men enter, one man leaves.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

Two men enter, one man leaves.

Yeah but I mean what are they referencing? The only SA Thunderdome I remember were the ones in LF.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
It's a weekly writing contest I used to participate in a lot but lately I haven't been, but I will again in the near future:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691539

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

angel opportunity posted:

It's a weekly writing contest I used to participate in a lot but lately I haven't been, but I will again in the near future:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691539

Oh.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Hangzhou is a nice place. Nothing to do? Hang around West Lake. Also, lots of nice small bars and small/large clubs. Would recommend.

Also, you're not crazy-far from Shanghai if you want the big-cosmopolitan-city experience, although the train is something like 1.5 hours, so it's an overnight job for a proper visit.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Hangzhou also has some quality tea houses and a chill atmosphere in general compared to most of China. Very poo poo traffic though with no subway :(

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

hangzhou has a subway

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

IIRC Zhe Da's dorms have AC (the laowai dorms, anyway. They're off in a weird part of the campus that has a bunch of weird western restaurants nearby). Actually I remember thinking those dorms were stupidly nice the one time I was in one.

That said Ningbo is super boring and Hangzhou actually has things going on. I lived in HZ for almost 2 years back from 2009-2011 and had to go to Ningbo a lot for work. That said, if you actually care about learning Chinese and junk Ningbo might be better since you'd have less distractions???

And HZ has like 2 subway lines now! Wowzers!!!!!!! But they were built to serve the rich bedroom communities in the eastern part of town no one actually lives in so I dunno how useful they'll be. I don't even think Zhe Da has a subway line yet.

That said Zhe Da is a major tourist spot due to a combination of it's proximity to xi hu (it's like 2 seconds away) and it's prestigiousness as a university. It's a nice campus, but there are never not a zillion tourists wandering around between May and October.

e: I looked into it and Hangzhou has like 2.5 lines now but none that go north of Moganshan Lu or west of Wulin jie which is where most of the people live, Zhe da is, etc.... Hangzhou seems like a masterclass on urban planning gone wrong.

Like look at this. Look how the subway avoids the most populated areas of the already badly planned out city. Who puts your CBD next to a lake and a national park which is also the most popular domestic tourist destination in a country of 1.2 billion???? Why is Hangzhou this way??!

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 9, 2015

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cross-post from the good thread:

here's my tentative chinar travel plan, please shoot holes into it

01/06 - 05/06 Hong Kong
05/06 - 08/06 Guangzhou
08/06 - 10/06 Mt Heng (Hunan)
10/06 - 14/06 Fenghuang
14/06 - 16/06 Wulingyuan
16/06 - 21/06 Wuhan
21/06 - 22/06 Hong Kong

i might cut out Hengshan cause i'll see plenty of cool scenery at Wulingyuan. but i kinda like hiking so whatever.
my friend told me i should spend four days at fenghuang but maybe only three will be enough? i'll mostly take trains and buses except from wuhan to hong kong.

i considered visiting shenzhen but the only attraction there is meramjert and the glorious uighur restaurant cabe mentioned

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Two days each for Fenghuang and Wulingyuan/Zhangjiajie is enough. Especially for Fenghuang; it's a beautiful little old town but you can see most of it in a day.

I would also take a couple of days from Wuhan and take a detour through Guilin/Yangshuo. Or you could maybe go to Huangshan if you haven't been. I took a really indirect couple of trains there from Wuhan via Jiangxi (Yingtan), but there's probably a more convenient way.

kenner116 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 9, 2015

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

IIRC Zhe Da's dorms have AC (the laowai dorms, anyway. They're off in a weird part of the campus that has a bunch of weird western restaurants nearby). Actually I remember thinking those dorms were stupidly nice the one time I was in one.

That said Ningbo is super boring and Hangzhou actually has things going on. I lived in HZ for almost 2 years back from 2009-2011 and had to go to Ningbo a lot for work. That said, if you actually care about learning Chinese and junk Ningbo might be better since you'd have less distractions???

And HZ has like 2 subway lines now! Wowzers!!!!!!! But they were built to serve the rich bedroom communities in the eastern part of town no one actually lives in so I dunno how useful they'll be. I don't even think Zhe Da has a subway line yet.

That said Zhe Da is a major tourist spot due to a combination of it's proximity to(it's like 2 seconds away) and it's prestigiousness as a university. It's a nice campus, but there are never not a zillion tourists wandering around between May and October.

That is really helpful. Ningbo will be my second preference just to make sure I can get to China but I will set my hopes on HZ.

How expensive is it to visit Shanghai and whatnot? I don't have a great frame of reference.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
Hello Asia goons I just arrived at hong Kong yesterday planning on staying for a month or so on a relatives couch. I'm an ABC. But I'll be reading this thread and if anyone wantsnto hang out I'm pretty much free. Short term I plan on going to Victoria's peak, wan chai at night maybe, temple night market and maybe a day trip to lantau.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A month in Hong Kong with nothing to do and a free place to stay sounds incredibly awesome and I am jealous, enjoy!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ocean Park.

HK goonmeet 3/25

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lord Windy posted:

How expensive is it to visit Shanghai and whatnot? I don't have a great frame of reference.

Not very. Shanghai is like Hong Kong, it can be very expensive if you want it to be but there's also plenty of cheap good stuff to do/see/eat. There's nowhere in China (as far as I know) where you'd have to spend much money.

Living in Chengdu I'd say I spend about $10 a day on average, and I'm not very careful with my money here. I could easily spend half that if I tried but even I'm not that cheap. Anyway that would be a reasonable budget for food in non-Shanghai cities and maybe even Shanghai too. As a pure tourist maybe $30 a day? I can't imagine spending more than $40.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
If you don't mind my asking what's the difference between wan chai and chai wan? It seems like one is mid island the other is the east side but I mean in the sense of like residential/commercial makeup.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Chai wan is residential and wan chai is hookers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Aferisan posted:

If you don't mind my asking what's the difference between wan chai and chai wan? It seems like one is mid island the other is the east side but I mean in the sense of like residential/commercial makeup.

One is a bus stop and another is a drink you can get at starbucks

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

That is really helpful. Ningbo will be my second preference just to make sure I can get to China but I will set my hopes on HZ.

Shanghai is right next to Hangzhou and there's a totally unnecessary bullet train between them. It costs like 10 bucks and 45 minutes to get to Shanghai, and there are like 100 trains a day.

Once I took a train to Shanghai at 5 am to watch a Stanley cup game.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 10, 2015

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Aferisan posted:

灣仔 and 柴灣? It'd be easier to ask what's the similarity between the two

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

Please don't symbol shame me. I actually don't know any Chinese beyond like a semester of mandarin so I've been sticking to the pinyin names.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
Anybody have experience working in Shenzhen public schools or with the city in general? It looks like I might be interviewing for a job there soon. I have not heard glowing things about the city but with in being so close to HK it can't be that bad...right?

Let us English fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 10, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Let us English posted:

Anybody have experience working in Shenzhen public schools or with the city in general? It looks like I might be interviewing for a job there soon. I have not heard glowing things about the city but with in being so close to HK it can't be that bad...right?

Shenzhen is good. People will tell you otherwise but they either don't know what they're talking about or they have wrong opinions.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Does anyone have a good alternative to Google Docs that works in China? Not something like Dropbox which only stores files, but something that lets people all asynchronously work on a document.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

fart simpson posted:

Shenzhen is good. People will tell you otherwise but they either don't know what they're talking about or they have wrong opinions.

Does it have street markets/wet markets/morning markets or is it all corporate? How's the street food? Is everyone on the road a motherfucker? What is the prevalence of Xinjiang/muslim restaurants?

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Magna Kaser posted:

Does anyone have a good alternative to Google Docs that works in China? Not something like Dropbox which only stores files, but something that lets people all asynchronously work on a document.

Is OneDrive blocked?

VideoTapir posted:

Does it have street markets/wet markets/morning markets or is it all corporate? How's the street food? Is everyone on the road a motherfucker? What is the prevalence of Xinjiang/muslim restaurants?

These are all good questions. I could live off of wet market veggies and Halal meat.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

VideoTapir posted:

I buy most of my vegetables at a wet market on Sunday mornings. All the wet markets are run by Teochew people. The street food is alright, there's good night bbq places and my favorite dumpling spot in the universe is a street food vendor. There's xinjiang restaurants around, you're never too far away from one but they aren't like, the most common type of restaurant.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I'm in Hong Kong until Saturday. Anyone want to meet up? Don't really have much planned yet.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Let us English posted:

Is OneDrive blocked?

These are all good questions. I could live off of wet market veggies and Halal meat.

Does OneDrive allow this? We just switched over from Google Apps to Exchange in our company and I looked at One Drive quickly and decided it was like dropbox, but I'll take another look.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

Does OneDrive allow this? We just switched over from Google Apps to Exchange in our company and I looked at One Drive quickly and decided it was like dropbox, but I'll take another look.

I think it comes as part of the Microsoft Office suite, which should be free if your institution owns .edu or .ed domain.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Let us English posted:

I think it comes as part of the Microsoft Office suite, which should be free if your institution owns .edu or .ed domain.

It works fine! Thanks for the heads up, I didn't actually explore it much when we switched over from google apps a month ago.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Shnicker posted:

I'm in Hong Kong until Saturday. Anyone want to meet up? Don't really have much planned yet.

Sure dude I'm thinking about a trip to lantau island t go see the huge Buddha statue and maybe a small hike. Right now I'm getting my bearings on the area but I figure by Thursday I might be proficient enough to go haha.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Bloodnose posted:

I'm always mixing up 蜂蜜 and 蜜蜂..

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bad day posted:

I'm always mixing up 蜂蜜 and 蜜蜂..

That's odd. I find those words don't always come up in conversation. Are you a beekeeper?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Literally Winnie the POOH

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

kenner116 posted:

Two days each for Fenghuang and Wulingyuan/Zhangjiajie is enough. Especially for Fenghuang; it's a beautiful little old town but you can see most of it in a day.

I would also take a couple of days from Wuhan and take a detour through Guilin/Yangshuo. Or you could maybe go to Huangshan if you haven't been. I took a really indirect couple of trains there from Wuhan via Jiangxi (Yingtan), but there's probably a more convenient way.

Thanks, that sounds like solid advice.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Speaking of studying abroad... I realized today that my whole reason for applying for my university's program is to tourist around China with some of it subsidized by scholarships. I have enough credits to graduate without going, but I'm putting it off for this trip. It occurs to me that I might not get any scholarships though, in which case I need to know how much a trip to China on my own would cost me. Here's my very rough preliminary:

June 30 - July 4: Beijing group tour
July 4 - August 7: in Chengdu

During the time in Chengdu I'll be going to Xi'an, Chongqing, and a few other locations for 1-3 days, but I won't know when until I get more info from my program. After the 7th of August I'll have time to explore China, aiming for Nanjing and Suzhou with possible trips to Guilin and Hong Kong, and possibly Taiwan. My visa will let me stay until August 31st but I'd like to be heading home a few days before that. I may fly home from Shanghai or Taiwan, depending on cost of flights from the mainland to Taiwan to US vs mainland to US. The program has quoted me a price of $6,725 for June 30 to August 7th including $1,400 in estimated airfare, and a professor told me I could probably go the rest of August for $1,000, for a total of about $7,725.

In your opinion, roughly what would the same trip, including hostel costs, food, travel (train/bus/plane/whatever), insurance, etc, cost as just a tourist? If it would cost me more to do study abroad in China, with or without scholarships, than it would as a simple tourist, I'll do that instead.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hostels are cheap. The nicest hostel I've ever stayed in was a three bed room outside of Guilin and it was 30rmb/night, which is like five bucks a night. Food is also cheap, especially if you're feeling adventurous and want street food and the like. I can easily get by on less than 30rmb/day if I want to, I usually don't but if you're strapped for cash you can definitely make food cheap. Traveling isn't too bad either. I fly everywhere when I go places in China but I don't think the trains are that expensive, perhaps someone could help out there.

A month in China at 1,000 USD certainly seems feasible. Living here, I put myself on 100rmb/day when I first came and had absolutely no problem staying under that, but I had an apartment and wasn't doing touristy stuff and wasn't traveling. You'd be looking at about 210 rmb/day for 1,000USD for a month. It's definitely doable.

If you do come over just to be a tourist, you don't need to sign up for any tourist groups, except for maybe trying to get to places that are far away from where you are. For example, I did one tour group from a hostel in Beijing to the Great Wall with a friend, and did a tour from Xi'an to the Terracotta Warriors, because both of those places were like an hour away and that's a pain in the rear end. Besides that, a lot of places and things are pretty accessible and you can get around Beijing by yourself just fine.

China is so cheap that I have had a standing agreement with friends that if they pay for the airfare to China, I will cover every other single aspect of their trip to visit me, other than whatever presents they want to buy. My mom, pops and sister came in 2011, my two best friends from Uni came in 2010 and my old girlfriend came in 2012. The airfare is the big one, but after you're over here, it's really quite cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Wow, if $1,000 a month is reasonable then could I be doing this trip for $3,000ish counting airfare if I went WITHOUT study abroad?