Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

Maybe not you but plenty are.

And there is a reason you went there on a Sunday not a Tuesday night so your going to put yourself out indefinitely?

And even if you do shop on Tuesdays you're just going to get directed towards those self checkout things more and more.

You probably already use them and hate yourself for it, but they are just so quick and easy.

I went on the Sunday because i remembered to go, but i didn't remember my last experience with the lovely service. If it happens often enough, it will become memorable enough.

I don't mind the self checkout thing, I think it's quite neat, it's more queues that i don't like. The supermarket business model is such that they can exploit the fact that you're more inclined to wait in a queue than you are to drop your basket and walk out. After all, you went to the effort to pick everything up, why stop now?

I'm never going to argue that conditions for employees need to be changed to suit the business though. This has nothing to do with the employees, it's the businesses making particular decisions to quite literally be a dick about things when they don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birdstrike posted:

No it isn't: both boxes of corn flakes go to a store of some description, but in your example the retailer has to organise and pay for the last link in the distribution chain ie the handover to the customer. In a normal store the customer grabs it off the shelves and takes it home all by themselves, thus completing the chain.

I discussed this with a Metcash executive last year, the supermarket chains haven't yet figured out a way to effectively monetise grocery delivery. It was his final frontier.
Things change a lot in a year.

Dark stores, suggested shopping list items, menu planning, loyalty offers. It is most certainly profitable and customers are easily nudged to even more profitable items.

"Traditional" online models require a lot of extra handling. With a dark store you cut all that out.

And just wait until Amazon turn up they basically do an automated pick in their US dark stores.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/woolworths-opens-first-onlineonly-dark-store-20140811-102lh0.html

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Mithranderp posted:

our PM, everybody.
KITTY!

Also, Image leeching is bad.

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 10, 2015

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Graic Gabtar posted:

Focusing on penalty rates only is just narrow thinking. First rule of small business. Employ casuals. Penalty rates I believe most small business will bear as a cost. It's all the risks associated with full time employees as far as business owners see it that diminish what might be better employment (IMHO).

e: Typos

The argument for penalty rates and the argument against having a workforce primarily of casuals are almost identical though. If your profit margins are thin enough that you need to abolish penalty rates or you need to have perfectly uniform wage percentages (ie have a staff made up almost entirely of casuals) in order to maintain a functioning business over time, then you're basically avoiding going out of business at the expense of your employees lifestyle. You can say that these casual jobs aren't meant for real adults but if you haven't noticed, the casualisation of the workforce isn't referring to kids working in cafes, its in manufacturing, its even in low skill white collar jobs like data entry, its creeping into every field of work that doesn't require a degree and its getting a lot worse. Technically, you're meant to be able to ask to go onto permanent fulltime/parttime after six months in a work place, but guess what? If you're casual, you're replaceable, and if you don't know your rights or don't have anyone to advocate for your rights (which is pretty likely because there's not much a union can do for you as a casual) you probably don't even know that in the first place, and even if you do, you basically have to accept that a lot of work places are just simply going to stop giving you hours and assume you can't afford to pursue any legal action against them, which is pretty much true most of the time. Casual employment needs to exist in some form, or hiring students would be loving impossible, but acting like giving adult employees guaranteed hours each week is some kind of inconvenience business can't afford to bear is disingenuous bullshit

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Casual employment needs to exist in some form, or hiring students would be loving impossible, but acting like giving adult employees guaranteed hours each week is some kind of inconvenience business can't afford to bear is disingenuous bullshit

Pretty much. The problem is, again, you can't really criticise one business for doing the same thing all other businesses are increasingly doing. It requires corrections to labour laws in order to ensure they all compete on a level playing field, otherwise the ones who lose will kick up SUCH a stink.

It's pretty much the opposite of labour flexibility.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

The only times I have been in a union was when it has been compulsory to work somewhere. I'm not a big fan of compulsory, or angry picket lines etc. I just don't think that resonates with people. To be blunt nothing I've seen about the way unions operate would want me to be involved in one.

"Moneyed elite" - OK, have you ever run a small business? Or been involved in one?

What job did you have that it was compulsory to join a union? In my own experience, employers - I don't know whether it's law or company policy - are not allowed to advise you one way or the other on whether you should join.

And yes, I know small businesses are run by ordinary salt of the earth hard-working Aussies etc. But aside from the fact that you should be factoring our 50-year-old penalty rates laws into your small business plan, and respecting your employees enough to pay them extra for unsociable hours rather then expecting them to sacrifice their rights for the success of your business, here's the thing: the phrase "small business" is used by media and government in Australia as a stand-in for "big business." They are never going to win voters over to their Cut Workers' Rights Bill by saying that it will help Coles and Rio Tinto and QBE make an extra 7% this year. They are going to win them over by constantly using the phrase "small business," which very coincidentally also benefits from the slashing of penalty rates. (See also: the constant use of the phrase "productivity" rather than "profit." Profit has become a tainted word, at least in theory, whereas being productive is still well-regarded, even as it slowly becomes a weasel word.)

The Joe Hockeys and Malcolm Turnbulls of the world do not give a flying gently caress about small business. It's a verbal shield which ranks alongside "preventing deaths at sea" as a clever piece of political language employed to shift the goalposts and obscure their actual motives.

Les Affaires posted:

Yep, and penalty rates are perfectly acceptable. It's a way to use economics to discourage businesses en masse from opening on the weekend unless they have a loving good reason.

Is this actually the motive behind it? I am totally in favour of having shops open on Sundays (it's not 1955) but workers also need to be properly compensated for that.

I bet there is such a huge overlap in the Venn diagram of people who think penalty rates should be cut and people who are astonished when they find out I have to work Christmas Day, Australia Day etc.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Took me a minute to find Wyatt Roy in this photo

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Pickled Tink posted:

KITTY!

Also, Image leeching is bad.

Whoops, fixed :)

MaxwellsEquations
Oct 21, 2010

He achieved greatness unequalled
-Max Planck
I know this won't lead to anything substantial but it would be nice if Barnaby got hosed by something his staffers did (that he explicitly instructed, who are we kidding).

The Guardian posted:

At the heart of the controversy is Joyce’s insistence to the parliament that corrections to the Hansard record of an incorrect answer he gave regarding drought support loans on 20 October had been made by his staff, without his knowledge, and that he had asked for the changes to be reversed when he became aware that they had been made.

The opposition agriculture spokesman, Joel Fitzgibbon, has been questioning whether Joyce did know about, or request, the changes – an allegation which, if proven, would mean Joyce had committed the sackable offence of misleading the House of Representatives.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/10/twist-in-barnaby-joyces-hansard-saga-as-department-head-unexpectedly-takes-leave

O, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive by saying lies about drought assistance when we happen to 'represent the 'True Heartland and Real Australia'

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

sidviscous posted:

That's what ASMOF is for...

http://www.asmof.org.au

Thank you.

The ACT branch doesn't have a website, probably explains why I couldn't find anything.

edit: Holy poo poo, totally professional. Contact details for the ACT Branch is a hotmail email address. *sigh*

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
So this was posted on the Australian Unemployment Union page:

Especially hosed up in the light of the recent Four Corners story about JSAs.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Graic Gabtar posted:

I would be completely unmoved by that as I added your IP to our watch list.

Haha, you think the ASD have enough resources to track and monitor a dude that made a bad post on the internet?

maybe if he was muslim

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Nuclear Spy posted:

Took me a minute to find Wyatt Roy in this photo

Tom Ballard 2 is getting ALLLLLL the ladies

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

ModernMoneyNetwork channel on youtube, personheim

Way late but thanks BB

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

freebooter posted:

balance was restored when Howard overreached, but it was a near thing. And now the Liberals are making noises about it again. Every time there's a Liberal government the hard-won rights of workers in Australia will be at risk.

Not that there is need for more evidence, but it occurs to me that a good demonstration for the cynicism of politics is in how they take losing. Once things start slipping they are all too willing to try the high risk manoeuvre rather than sticking to what got them elected knowing that they probably wont be able to turn things around in time. And then when they lose, the magnitude is all about how it effects their ability to win the next election. Being a rabble as a party means that not only do you let the other mob set the agenda but you also hand them political capital to do the not so popular stuff they want to do. Imagine if Rudd/Gillard was just a bit worse and Abbott was any less incompetent; goodbye penalty rates

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Graic Gabtar posted:

"Moneyed elite" - OK, have you ever run a small business? Or been involved in one?

Yes. I don't see what that has to do with the absolutely true statement that big business has been allowed to run roughshod over decision-making and democracy in Australia.

Also small business owners are, almost to a man, some of the most venal, myopic, and self-important fuckknuckles in Australia, who seem to expect collective rear end-kissing and public subsidy of their actions in return for being given the opportunity to profit off the labour of others.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I got bored and made a thing because I didn't feel like doing work

quote:

Tony the Political Migrant

Once upon a time and city, in the fifties, London lovely, was born a boy with dreams of gold, with power lust and heart of mould.

One day, needing money, he said to his mother: "Go into your purse and give me a quid. I will rule the world one day and then your debt I shall repay. Don't delay, do as I bid - I promise now, you'll be glad you did!"

And his mother said to him, "I'm sorry, Tony, really I am. I won't stand for demands, nor your commands nor rage-clenched hands. This is the twenty-first century, not a penitentiary. Keep the worms locked and canned - leave cruel ambitions safe unplanned!"

But he did not listen to his mother. And so Tony fled to the ends of the earth, searching in vain for a welcoming berth. He tried place after place, he tried race after race - he'd sell all that he'd got if they gave him a space.

First he went to the Vatican, but the Pope said to him, "I'm sorry, Tony, really I am. I'm a fan of your faith and impressed by your zeal, but we've lost too much power, we've squandered our deal. We can't have crusades with the cops at our heel!"

And so Tony, disappointed but determined, went to Buckingham Palace. But the Queen said to him, "I'm sorry, Tony, really I am. Your campaign would be drowned in this new-fangled town. You'd toil night and day to be loyal to royals, but they've shut us all down, all that's left is our crown!"

But Tony was not to be deterred - to surrender his birthright would just be absurd. "I must govern," he cried, "I must rule, I must dominate - the fates dictate I be lord of some state!"

The leaders of China listened and blushed but at the end of the day their refusals were rushed. "I'm sorry, Tony, really I am. You're right that we're rich, but there's such a big hitch - even though we love money we're a communist country. If we let you slip in we'd be dead in a ditch!"

He cursed and he wept, he nodded and stared, his tongue kept on licking just as fast as he dared.

The American right put up much the same fight - straight away he saw it would end in dismay. "I'm sorry, Tony, really I am. But this is now truly the land of the free. We're home to all races, all peoples and creeds - if you dog whistle here you'll be hanged from a tree!"

And Putin in Russia was no more relenting, lamenting the rise of protesters dissenting. "I'm sorry, Tony, really I am. But if we hang all the gays they will put as away - we tried and we tried but our hands were all tied. Bigotry and hatred are not here to stay, though we pray and delay and we fight day by day."

The boy was world-famous for his wanderings shameless. "I refuse to surrender," he yelled, "Nor relinquish my tender!" And across the wide earth his search went on aimless.

The politicians at Rome would not make it his home, knowing his corruption would cause a disruption. "I'm sorry, Tony, really I am. We all shook the hands of a legion of crooks, we've got dirty cheques piled up to our necks, but you won't cook the books with your lizard-like looks!"

Even North Korea could see a sucker's idea. "I'm sorry, Tony, really I am. But we all know that you're not much of a reader. You can glower and scour but you must defer to military power. Only breeders and feeders can be our Dear Leaders!"

Even Saudi Arabia, the haters of labia, would not succumb to his madman's mad mania. "I'm sorry, Tony, really I am. But our dynastic tradition still has awkward positions. We know that you fear those of female persuasion, but there'll be no evasions of their learning equations. We can't stop the ambition for girls' schools admissions!"

But Tony was resolute. He was destined to rule, though the ruled be inimical. He was the political migrant, the uncritical violent, the biblical pinnacle of an aspirant new tyrant.

What could he do - where could he go? There was no place on earth that had fallen so low. There was no country so hopeless, so lost medieval, that would welcome the taint of Tony Abbott's crude evil.

Would he give up on crime? Would he wash off his slime? Would he re-enter the world of humans this time?

But no - God gave him a glance of a land in a trance, a remarkable place of uncharted expanse, and he said to himself, "Could this be my chance?"

He practised his smile, perfected his style, did all that he could to not appear vile, before he stepped off the plane like a bride down the aisle.

The Aussies were cautious, suspicious, askew; they would not be exploited like lambs for the stew. They had one obsession, the national question, that would determine their PM, their knight through and true: "You're not Muslim, are you?"

"No," he said slowly, suspecting a trick - but as we all know, they're thick as a brick. And at the end of the day... they elected the prick.

sorry that its jumbled in places but im also not super sorry because :effort:

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 10, 2015

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I posted that political compass thingy from 07 and 13 (illustrating Labor's drift towards the Right) in my Union's facebook group today.

Will I see the end of the week?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Pope's really rolling with the Downfall look.

Though the last two haven't been as good as some others in recent memory.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

The argument for penalty rates and the argument against having a workforce primarily of casuals are almost identical though. If your profit margins are thin enough that you need to abolish penalty rates or you need to have perfectly uniform wage percentages (ie have a staff made up almost entirely of casuals) in order to maintain a functioning business over time, then you're basically avoiding going out of business at the expense of your employees lifestyle.
I don't think the lifestyles of employees or employers are really the remit of either party to be honest. Not hearing much compassion for small business owners working stupid hours trying to put food on the table. If your employer is such a complete oval office (which many are) start looking for another gig. An abolition of pentalty rates is not the way to go either though, but saying you can't look at any other options just because penalty rates - well that's not working out great either.

You can say that these casual jobs aren't meant for real adults but if you haven't noticed, the casualisation of the workforce isn't referring to kids working in cafes, its in manufacturing, its even in low skill white collar jobs like data entry, its creeping into every field of work that doesn't require a degree and its getting a lot worse.
I would never argue that casual jobs are for kids because it doesn't reflect reality. And yes, many companies will game the system to stop employing people. However for many it's just risk mitigation. No small business wants to be knee-capped from an unfair dismissal claim (just or otherwise). No point going feral over it, it's just business.

Technically, you're meant to be able to ask to go onto permanent fulltime/parttime after six months in a work place, but guess what? If you're casual, you're replaceable, and if you don't know your rights or don't have anyone to advocate for your rights (which is pretty likely because there's not much a union can do for you as a casual) you probably don't even know that in the first place, and even if you do, you basically have to accept that a lot of work places are just simply going to stop giving you hours and assume you can't afford to pursue any legal action against them, which is pretty much true most of the time. Casual employment needs to exist in some form, or hiring students would be loving impossible, but acting like giving adult employees guaranteed hours each week is some kind of inconvenience business can't afford to bear is disingenuous bullshit
Again, see above. You're getting all rage trembly. Some small business owner is probably just taking their accountant's advice.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 10, 2015

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I note that news.com.au on the first day of the Joe Hockey trial carried a story, quite high up on the page.

I haven't seen any stories since.

You read the articles on fairfax and guardian and :drat:, I think Joe might be regretting this.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

freebooter posted:

And yes, I know small businesses are run by ordinary salt of the earth hard-working Aussies etc. But aside from the fact that you should be factoring our 50-year-old penalty rates laws into your small business plan, and respecting your employees enough to pay them extra for unsociable hours rather then expecting them to sacrifice their rights for the success of your business, here's the thing: the phrase "small business" is used by media and government in Australia as a stand-in for "big business." They are never going to win voters over to their Cut Workers' Rights Bill by saying that it will help Coles and Rio Tinto and QBE make an extra 7% this year. They are going to win them over by constantly using the phrase "small business," which very coincidentally also benefits from the slashing of penalty rates. (See also: the constant use of the phrase "productivity" rather than "profit." Profit has become a tainted word, at least in theory, whereas being productive is still well-regarded, even as it slowly becomes a weasel word.)

The Joe Hockeys and Malcolm Turnbulls of the world do not give a flying gently caress about small business. It's a verbal shield which ranks alongside "preventing deaths at sea" as a clever piece of political language employed to shift the goalposts and obscure their actual motives.
I'll take the piss a little by asking what planet are you living on? For every decent small business owner I meet I meet another completely lazy arsehole.

Besides that, you make some perfectly correct observations. However, the statistics do back the rhetoric - somewhat. What is it? Around 70% of people in the private sector are employed by SMB but in reality they make gently caress all of the cash compared to the other 30% of large industry. So what you say if arguably correct, but 70% is still 70%. A lot of SMB would also benefit.

Any politician cares for any constituency that delivers them block votes. What they might think of them is a completely different matter.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
When can I start making convicted good or service Joe Hockey jokes.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Graic Gabtar posted:

I don't think the lifestyles of employees or employers are really the remit of either party to be honest. Not hearing much compassion for small business owners working stupid hours trying to put food on the table. If your employer is such a complete oval office (which many are) start looking for another gig. An abolition of pentalty rates is not the way to go either though, but saying you can't look at any other options just because penalty rates - well that's not working out great either.
I would never argue that casual jobs are for kids because it doesn't reflect reality. And yes, many companies will game the system to stop employing people. However for many it's just risk mitigation. No small business wants to be knee-capped from an unfair dismissal claim (just or otherwise). No point going feral over it, it's just business.
Again, see above. You're getting all rage trembly. Some small business owner is probably just taking their accountant's advice.

So there's a high chance of a faulty boss in the current business model. He has to work very hard to put food on the table and if he struggles to do that the solution is to take food off his employee's table. Solution: remove the boss.

Problem: you can't stroke your ego imagining that one day you'll be a boss and have power of life and death over other people. Solution: don't be lazy and join politics instead.

Problem: who will run the business. Solution: an employee whose job it is to run the business.

Problem: there's no Mr Burns in charge guaranteed to care enough about profits to turn a buck to keep everyone in a job. Solution: everyone now has direct access to the effort=reward equation to work hard to drive profits.

Problem: you can't start your own business in the traditional model. Solution: you can't start your own business in the traditional model, you need to create a business that will bring all the people involved along the money train with you.

Problem: you
Solution:
You're a hateful greedy fucker who uses bad words and your children are ashamed of you because even they can tell the word oval office makes you look like a dead poo poo whether you hate women or not (the solution is to call you mean words until you close your mouth and let the people with positive things to say talk)

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

EvilElmo posted:

I note that news.com.au on the first day of the Joe Hockey trial carried a story, quite high up on the page.

I haven't seen any stories since.

You read the articles on fairfax and guardian and :drat:, I think Joe might be regretting this.
Hopefully this will embarrass him enough to resign and gently caress off completely but I doubt we are that lucky.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

asio posted:

So there's a high chance of a faulty boss in the current business model. He has to work very hard to put food on the table and if he struggles to do that the solution is to take food off his employee's table. Solution: remove the boss.

Problem: you can't stroke your ego imagining that one day you'll be a boss and have power of life and death over other people. Solution: don't be lazy and join politics instead.

Problem: who will run the business. Solution: an employee whose job it is to run the business.

Problem: there's no Mr Burns in charge guaranteed to care enough about profits to turn a buck to keep everyone in a job. Solution: everyone now has direct access to the effort=reward equation to work hard to drive profits.

Problem: you can't start your own business in the traditional model. Solution: you can't start your own business in the traditional model, you need to create a business that will bring all the people involved along the money train with you.

Problem: you
Solution:
You're a hateful greedy fucker who uses bad words and your children are ashamed of you because even they can tell the word oval office makes you look like a dead poo poo whether you hate women or not (the solution is to call you mean words until you close your mouth and let the people with positive things to say talk)
Dear god.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for assuming I'm going feral over this by the way, cute subtle personal attack from someone who's apparently above that kind of thing, but i'm just laying out the facts from an employee perspective.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Thanks for assuming I'm going feral over this by the way, cute subtle personal attack from someone who's apparently above that kind of thing, but i'm just laying out the facts from an employee perspective.
The point I'm trying to make (and it's completely lost on my good mate oval office above) is what you find as completely wrong and unfair to workers (which I don't dispute by the way) is just people doing business as effectively as they can to minimise their own risk.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not an economist, but I'm pretty sure providing workers with stable income and some semblance of job security is probably good for society/our consumer economy as a whole though, so while we're all in agreement some level of casual employment needs to exist, I don't think its rocking the boat to say that if you are a small business and your entire workforce is casual adult labor, you probably don't have an implicit right to survive as a business. Plenty of businesses are running on this model and my point is its seeping into areas like manufacturing that have traditionally been stable areas of employment. I want to raise a family and I can't do that in hospitality so I've been looking at cutter and welder jobs, the trade I originally got into out of school, and it turns out most of the jobs in that area are ALSO casual or contractor positions now, despite the fact that they were all permanent full-time 10 years ago. The working class are very slowly and gradually turning into the casual/contractor class and its really bad that a grown 30 year old man like myself with a bunch of skills across a couple of industries can't find permanent full-time work. (I'm also trained and fully qualified on an industrial sowing machine but it turns out those jobs are all casual as well now)

Please continue to tell me how the solution to my problem is to find another job

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Or if we're going to rephrase my question why do you think a small business owner has a right to operate a successful business that somehow trumps my ability to earn enough money to support a family

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Job creators.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

I'm not an economist, but I'm pretty sure providing workers with stable income and some semblance of job security is probably good for society/our consumer economy as a whole though, so while we're all in agreement some level of casual employment needs to exist, I don't think its rocking the boat to say that if you are a small business and your entire workforce is casual adult labor, you probably don't have an implicit right to survive as a business. Plenty of businesses are running on this model and my point is its seeping into areas like manufacturing that have traditionally been stable areas of employment. I want to raise a family and I can't do that in hospitality so I've been looking at cutter and welder jobs, the trade I originally got into out of school, and it turns out most of the jobs in that area are ALSO casual or contractor positions now, despite the fact that they were all permanent full-time 10 years ago. The working class are very slowly and gradually turning into the casual/contractor class and its really bad that a grown 30 year old man like myself with a bunch of skills across a couple of industries can't find permanent full-time work. (I'm also trained and fully qualified on an industrial sowing machine but it turns out those jobs are all casual as well now)

Please continue to tell me how the solution to my problem is to find another job

I'll agree with most of what you say about the casual trend in business, but if a small business works under the laws of the land which are complex enough I think it's a bit of an ask that they need to pass your moral tests as well.

As for personal experience your mileage may vary. I've never had a problem with full time employment. Most of the time I actually prefer to be a contractor.

Maybe you do need to find a new line of work. Maybe you're poo poo at what you do or it's a dying industry.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Hey everybody! Everybody!
I joined the greens!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Graic Gabtar posted:

The point I'm trying to make (and it's completely lost on my good mate oval office above) is what you find as completely wrong and unfair to workers (which I don't dispute by the way) is just people doing business as effectively as they can to minimise their own risk.

And? How does that justify anything at all? It's just placing business owners above the interests of society as a whole.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Graic Gabtar posted:

Maybe you're poo poo at what you do or it's a dying industry.

You've got some problem with people using hyperbole but you have no problem actually personally attacking me for real to make a point, what the gently caress dude, pull your fuckin head in

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The argument for penalty rates and the argument against having a workforce primarily of casuals are almost identical though. If your profit margins are thin enough that you need to abolish penalty rates or you need to have perfectly uniform wage percentages (ie have a staff made up almost entirely of casuals) in order to maintain a functioning business over time, then you're basically avoiding going out of business at the expense of your employees lifestyle. You can say that these casual jobs aren't meant for real adults but if you haven't noticed, the casualisation of the workforce isn't referring to kids working in cafes, its in manufacturing, its even in low skill white collar jobs like data entry, its creeping into every field of work that doesn't require a degree and its getting a lot worse. Technically, you're meant to be able to ask to go onto permanent fulltime/parttime after six months in a work place, but guess what? If you're casual, you're replaceable, and if you don't know your rights or don't have anyone to advocate for your rights (which is pretty likely because there's not much a union can do for you as a casual) you probably don't even know that in the first place, and even if you do, you basically have to accept that a lot of work places are just simply going to stop giving you hours and assume you can't afford to pursue any legal action against them, which is pretty much true most of the time. Casual employment needs to exist in some form, or hiring students would be loving impossible, but acting like giving adult employees guaranteed hours each week is some kind of inconvenience business can't afford to bear is disingenuous bullshit

Professional science is rife with casualised workforce, esp out in the mines. 4 month contracts and they replace you or try to get you to move out there.

Also. As a parting gift from Newman, QLD govt workers have been 30 day rolling contracts. (secondhand source)

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Ket posted:

Hey everybody! Everybody!
I joined the greens!

Kill you are self.

Wait, no don't do that. Congratulations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'll agree with most of what you say about the casual trend in business, but if a small business works under the laws of the land which are complex enough I think it's a bit of an ask that they need to pass your moral tests as well.

As for personal experience your mileage may vary. I've never had a problem with full time employment. Most of the time I actually prefer to be a contractor.

Maybe you do need to find a new line of work. Maybe you're poo poo at what you do or it's a dying industry.

My last boss loved contracting, and having all of his staff be contractors. He also tried to sell the business to me and when I said no he fired me and hasn't paid me my last week's pay with a variety of excuses. I also got a fine for driving my work car unregistered/uninsured because he "forgot" to pay the rego, but it's all cool because he'll totally pay the fine for me.

I'm not sure what my point is but gently caress small business owners who are scum to their staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

NT Aboriginal leader pleads for prime minister to give up Indigenous affairs

quote:

A peak body for Aboriginal organisations in the Northern Territory has called for the prime minister to give up responsibility for a number of Indigenous affairs areas and give them back to the Health Department in order to have “the best chance at us achieving outcomes”.

Addressing a Senate committee hearing on domestic violence in Darwin on Tuesday, John Paterson, chief executive of the Aboriginal medical services and alliance Northern Territory (Amsant), called for the funding of alcohol and other drugs, social and emotional wellbeing, and other mental health programs and policies to be relocated back to the federal health portfolio.

“Not under prime minister and cabinet,” he said.

“The sooner it gets back under the health portfolio the better, and the best chance at us achieving the outcomes we want,”
said Paterson, who is also head of the Aboriginal peak organisations Northern Territory (Apont).
Tony abbott, please stop helping.

• Locked thread