Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
will I later regret not putting effort into this poll?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Christ, I wish sniping was actually fun, ever, in this game online. The exo-suit stuff and the way the threat-detection works just sort of makes it ludicrous to even try sniping most of the time. You don't have any camouflage whatsoever, and you have to either kill your target in one hit, or they just instantly know exactly where you are and come gun you down. You can't really cloak for long enough to do anything useful, and most of the sniper rifles are just too bulky. I'm not about to suffer through the grind it would take to unlock iron sights or something for these things. Sigh... back to my Ameli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Sniping (in AW anyway) is only fun when literally everyone is doing it in that dedicated game mode.

Then it is awesome. :zaeed:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

This is COD. You don't sit back and snipe, you quickscope.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
And you do it using the massively impractical shoulder-mounted Atlas sniper rifle.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Hello thread I'm canoraid on PSN. Is the gimmick build where you go spike grenades + shield a new thing with the patch? I just got back into CoD after a few months and that poo poo really ruins a match. Can anything short of a killstreak get through the shield?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Not sure if it got mentioned yet, but you can now get extra class slots via DLC. There's 60 total and you have access to all of them in game (none of that switching between sets of 10 poo poo).

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Jonad posted:

Hello thread I'm canoraid on PSN. Is the gimmick build where you go spike grenades + shield a new thing with the patch? I just got back into CoD after a few months and that poo poo really ruins a match. Can anything short of a killstreak get through the shield?

I saw people running around with that combo a day or two after release, so it's not new by any means. It's also not super good, the shield is hard to use when your opponent is smart or when there's more than one person. The exo jumps let people just jump over you and shoot you in the back, or distract you while someone else just shoots you in the side.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

Pork Pie Hat posted:

And you do it using the massively impractical shoulder-mounted Atlas sniper rifle.

Yeah, most of the sniper rifles seem massively impractical in almost every situation. Same thing for almost every single grenade available, for that matter. Who the gently caress has time to use variable grenades in a match? Do any of the drones grenades DO anything? I've hurled so many spike/explodey/tracker drones around at people or at walls thinking maybe they'd happen by instead, and basically getting a 100% failure rate. It got to the point where I just said gently caress it and started using only concussion grenades and EMP grenades to troll people.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Variables unlock earlier enough that you can use them as smokes, you only need to switch their mode once per round or something like that.

I've also gotten a few kills with the explosive drone, though it's really hit or miss. I typically just chucked it on a dom point and ignored it, and now and then I'd get a surprise kill.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

The Ohm is loving insane, it really blows that we can't have the new weapons in local multiplayer or zombies.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What attachments yall go with on the asm1 usually?

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

Fetus Tree posted:

What attachments yall go with on the asm1 usually?

Most people I've seen put stuff like advanced rifling along with a quickdraw grip so they can have better reaction time and melt people, if you want to put 2 attachments at most on it. I like to add Grip as a third attachment but that's because I think it kicks too much.

But yeah Quickdraw along with Advanced rifling and you got a smg that melts people extremely quickly with good range. Though the recent patch has made it less as good by removing the fast firing speed of the first few rounds, lowering it to always 720 rpm from 1000 on the first few shots.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Most people I've seen put stuff like advanced rifling along with a quickdraw grip so they can have better reaction time and melt people, if you want to put 2 attachments at most on it. I like to add Grip as a third attachment but that's because I think it kicks too much.

But yeah Quickdraw along with Advanced rifling and you got a smg that melts people extremely quickly with good range. Though the recent patch has made it less as good by removing the fast firing speed of the first few rounds, lowering it to always 720 rpm from 1000 on the first few shots.

People run it with quickdraw and rapid fire now. It's basically unchanged in close quarters.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Cool, thanks guys.

Ive been running with no exo abilities, streaks, or nades and just carrying a shitload of firepower and its been fun as heck.

Been using the 3x burst assault rifle with hybrid/grip/quick draw thing. I got an elite upgraded one with a bunch of added damage and it one shots on normal mode lol. Been using the mp11 or whatever for cqb with a laser and grip.

Either way im having fun and really like this iteration of COD. last one i bought was the one after the first blackops so ive had a bit of time off.

Zapper
Mar 14, 2006

Zap!
The local Microsoft store will give me $100 bux for one of my old Xboxes and $10 for each controller and $ for eAch old game. So basically I would pay about 200 for an Xbox one, yet I can't bring myself to do this? What good games are there with a decent online community? Maybe I should get a wii u..

I'm on my iPhone so I can't post my speedtest results.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Zapper posted:

The local Microsoft store will give me $100 bux for one of my old Xboxes and $10 for each controller and $ for eAch old game. So basically I would pay about 200 for an Xbox one, yet I can't bring myself to do this? What good games are there with a decent online community? Maybe I should get a wii u..

I'm on my iPhone so I can't post my speedtest results.

I don't have a One, I'm a PS4-er, so this is just general advice but there's Advanced Warfare, which is great and loads of fun, there's Battlefield 4 and Battlefield Hardline in a week or so, both of which will be well populated, I believe Far Cry 4 has online co-op, that's another recent fun game and then of course there's GTA Online, which just (finally) got it's Heist update today, consequently the servers are melting because there's still a large online presence.

I say go for it.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
AW doesn't have a lot of people playing it? Or just goons. I would assume its really popular

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Goons kinda fell off on this game. I would assume it's still a popular game overall, although it's hard to tell due to the player count being removed for some reason.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I really like that my dude runs around in a purple baseball cap and sunglasses and floats about a map killing people with a gold gun.

Perhaps I am why call of duty isn't liked by goons anymore

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Javes posted:

Goons kinda fell off on this game. I would assume it's still a popular game overall, although it's hard to tell due to the player count being removed for some reason.

"Some reason". :airquote:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Fetus Tree posted:

I really like that my dude runs around in a purple baseball cap and sunglasses and floats about a map killing people with a gold gun.

All of that owns actually. It's the balance that sucks rear end.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Fibby Boy posted:

All of that owns actually. It's the balance that sucks rear end.

Weapon balance you mean?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Fetus Tree posted:

Weapon balance you mean?

Yeah. Floating around with my blingee guns, scuba mask, and bright orange jump suit whips rear end.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
I think I'm a little bored with the basic COD formula. And I don't mean I want new modes, as I didn't partcularly care for Cranked, Blitz, Uplink or whatever new ~~esports~~ mode they introduce, I think I'm burnt out on the basic mechanics- even with the added mobility mechanics. I'm not entirely sure what I would want them to change either, anything more than what they've added in A&W will have strayed too far from what people go to COD for.

Also, it's really loving cool to see a bunch of COD goons playing Titanfall lately. :glomp:

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Fetus Tree posted:

Playing barbie is actually why I'll play a few rounds everyday or so.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I just want to play video games with my cod friends. I really hope a decent amount of you guys pick up hardline when it comes out.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I kinda wish somebody would make a good ww2 shooter

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Ya'll could also get a wiiu and play Anime Squidgirl Call of Duty with me.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Considering it took them 3 and a half month to get any sort of big balance update toward the weapons, I'm not suprised people quit once they experienced how lovely the weapon balance has been. In my opinion it's starting to go in a good direction but it really took them too much time.

Plus I hate it when I feel I have to use the same gun as everyone else to start doing decent, which was the case with the pre-patch Asm1.

I've been starting to get back into TF since it has more people playing it on Xbone than on PC and that game at least feels like I can use whatever I want and do well, but that's just my opinion.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Considering it took them 3 and a half month to get any sort of big balance update toward the weapons, I'm not suprised people quit once they experienced how lovely the weapon balance has been. In my opinion it's starting to go in a good direction but it really took them too much time.

Plus I hate it when I feel I have to use the same gun as everyone else to start doing decent, which was the case with the pre-patch Asm1.

I've been starting to get back into TF since it has more people playing it on Xbone than on PC and that game at least feels like I can use whatever I want and do well, but that's just my opinion.

That's because Respawn knows how to balance their guns. Even in COD4 and MW2 I could do well with any gun.

AW is the first COD Sledgehammer has had complete control over. I think their lack of experience in multiplayer games really shows here. The maps lack any real flow to them, and the gun balance is laughable. Even the "new" IW did a better job balancing their weapons.

Fibby Boy posted:

Ya'll could also get a wiiu and play Anime Squidgirl Call of Duty with me.

I'm looking forward to this one, but I'm worried that Nintendo being Nintendo that they will gently caress it up and make voice chat friends only (or no chat at all).

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Mill Village posted:

That's because Respawn knows how to balance their guns. Even in COD4 and MW2 I could do well with any gun.

AW is the first COD Sledgehammer has had complete control over. I think their lack of experience in multiplayer games really shows here. The maps lack any real flow to them, and the gun balance is laughable. Even the "new" IW did a better job balancing their weapons.

I'm looking forward to this one, but I'm worried that Nintendo being Nintendo that they will gently caress it up and make voice chat friends only (or no chat at all).

To be fair there are like 3 guns in TF.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What is TF?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Fetus Tree posted:

What is TF?

Titan Fall.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
TitanFall.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

What is TF?

Three Firearms. :downsrim:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Fetus Tree posted:

What is TF?

A really good game.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

In a timely coincidence, Titanfall's DLC is apparently free (for today at least) to celebrate its birthday. Gonna download it and mount robits with my COD bros :dance:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Freaquency posted:

In a timely coincidence, Titanfall's DLC is apparently free (for today at least) to celebrate its birthday. Gonna download it and mount robits with my COD bros :dance:

gently caress yeah. I'll be on.

A SWELL DUDE
Feb 8, 2005

Maybe this is old news, but apparently the Ohm has a hidden slug mode: http://youtu.be/d3IW4tCIkwU

You have to use the hybrid sight to activate it. It has the same range as the normal shotgun mode, but it's a one-shot kill at max range. From what Sledgehammer tweeted, it sounds like this might be patched soon.

Almost makes me want to play tonight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

A SWELL DUDE posted:

Maybe this is old news, but apparently the Ohm has a hidden slug mode: http://youtu.be/d3IW4tCIkwU

You have to use the hybrid sight to activate it. It has the same range as the normal shotgun mode, but it's a one-shot kill at max range. From what Sledgehammer tweeted, it sounds like this might be patched soon.

Almost makes me want to play tonight...

Almost.

• Locked thread