Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Also that is literally the ugliest ship I've ever seen. and these guys are supposed to be from the same teams as Star Citizen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Yeah the more I look at this Kickstarter the more I think it's just disappointing and awful. It's a mess really and the only reason I got excited about it was the name "Descent" and a 14 second video. Sad and hosed up

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On the subject of playing games with the wrong soundtrack, I learned of Quake's CD support when it started playing the redbook audio on the CD for Clickteam's The Games Factory, which was intended for use in the sample game Magician's Lair. I only really recall the game's title music being used on the "hey you killed Chthon" screen, just as the proper soundtrack uses Quake's title theme for that scene; it seemed oddly fitting, even though Magician's Lair has far more upbeat music than Quake's does.

Also, I already told this story a while back, but while I was testing func_mapjam2, the map "jam2_tronyn" didn't set up the audio track correctly, and thus it tried to play Track 1 of the CD. My rip of the Quake soundtrack for use in the sourceport (I think I was still on Darkplaces at the time, but I did the same for Quakespasm) obviously didn't have a Track 1 (since that's the game data track), so it resorted to a CD that I'd picked up from a thrift store and had been ripping to my hard drive earlier. Thus I wound up playing it to "Amigos Para Siempre". It's almost fitting.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I don't see the Pyro anywhere in that new Descent kickstarter, so what's the point in even backing it? :colbert:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I played through Hexen listening to a Gnarls Barkley album on repeat once. Now I can't listen to Gnarls Barkley anymore for fear of flashbacks to that lovely game :negative:

I actually quite like Hexen and don't much care for Gnarls Barkley these days, but if I hear "Crazy" I do get reminded of inane switch hunts and being very confused.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So, Zero Tolerance is actually better than I remember.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

DoombatINC posted:

For me, the canon soundtrack for Deus Ex will always be Aerosmith's Greatest Hits, for ZPC it's Styx's Greatest Hits, and for Tactical Ops it's Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill

And I'm just only now aware that, as a teenage boy, I was apparently a middle aged woman

ZPC! gently caress, where do I get a copy of that game? That's the only wierd marathon-clone / TC that I don't have...
(also ZPC will forever be associated with KMFDM for obvious reasons)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

Love in an Elevator is clearly the song for Mass Effect 1.

"Describe games only using song titles."

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXaNTAD54mg

The girl from ipanema...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh my god, I loved Zero Tolerance :allears: I always wanted someone else I knew to own it so we could play against each other, I thought that would have been absolutely amazing. I don't remember it allowing jumping, but it's incredible how much functionality you'd get out of a 3-button controller. I'd love to see the end someday. I remember making it to the second (or third?) tower. It's been forever since I've played it.

I have strong memories of playing through it while listening to Mellon Collie in its entirety. Anyone else have that? Ken's Labyrinth reminds me of Green Day's Dookie, ZT reminds me of MCIS (specifically "We only come out at night", which, in turn, reminds me of ZT now). And I would play the Lost Highway soundtrack over and over again while building levels in Duke Nukem 3D, so now, basically anything David Lynch-related reminds me of Duke, and vice-versa.

EDIT: Also, while I know it's GBS, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3704916

Iron Maiden's "A Real Live One" remains memory-associated to making crappy maps with DoomCAD and DEU. Also "Be Quick or Be Dead" is totally about Doom II's fat monsters. I dunno what Wikipedia is ranting about corruption scandals in the UK.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

I wonder if this is where System Shock 1 got the idea from... they were both released in 1994, but I can't find a date for ZT (Shock1 was released September 22).

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

SilentW posted:

I wonder if this is where System Shock 1 got the idea from... they were both released in 1994, but I can't find a date for ZT (Shock1 was released September 22).
They both got it from John Landis, who used The Girl from Ipanema in every elevator scene in his movies as a running gag. They're also nowhere near the only ones to copy it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

RiffRaff1138 posted:

They both got it from John Landis, who used The Girl from Ipanema in every elevator scene in his movies as a running gag. They're also nowhere near the only ones to copy it.

That's an impressive list, actually. If only for the games alone.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Conversely, what game would you say you listened to the most music you got introduced to with?

I played so much cs as a kid, I've listened to drat near everything with it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Wolfenstein 3D -> Pretty Hate Machine
Doom I/II -> The Downward Spiral
Deus Ex (does this count?) -> The Fragile.

I can't listen to/play any of these without having vivid memories of the other.

:iia:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

site posted:

Conversely, what game would you say you listened to the most music you got introduced to with?

I played so much cs as a kid, I've listened to drat near everything with it.

UT'99 by far.

What, nobody listened to Creed's "Human Clay" album on constant repeat while playing custom UT'99 maps? Scrubs. :smugdog:

I can't even think of that album now without remembering the endless rounds I played in DM-Dogtown, fighting with and against a list of bots with meticulously-built personalities. Homer Simpson, Tom Servo, some sort of cartoonish Clown/Mime thing, transformers and comic book characters--they all perished under sniper fire to the tune of Creed's "What if"--a fate worse than death.

It's weird because when I first experienced Quake's soundtrack, it didn't sound like much beyond ambient sounds--whirring drills and distant voices--but I listen to that album a lot nowadays, along with the rest of NIN's discography. It's almost as if the Quake soundtrack I listened to in 1996 was a completely different soundtrack.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 11, 2015

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

There are people who don't listen to UT99's soundtrack? UT99 has some of the best ingame music I've ever heard. Who'd want to turn that off? :psyduck:

UT2004 I understand though, that game has a pretty boring soundtrack.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Starhawk64 posted:

There are people who don't listen to UT99's soundtrack? UT99 has some of the best ingame music I've ever heard. Who'd want to turn that off? :psyduck:

Dude I listen to the poo poo out of the UT'99 soundtrack. I have it in my music library to listen to while I do other things, and play it practically every night when I jam out in Doom. But why wouldn't you occasionally "mix things up" by replacing that music with Creed, I'm wondering?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I love the UT99 soundtrack. Tracker music in general is really good.

hj henhemjamib
Sep 16, 2007
simply follow these steps and you be Whammin
My first CD was Devil Without a Cause by Kid Rock. I had it in the CD tray while I played Quake, and Cowboy is fused into my head whenever I see the intro demo.

Now my favorite band is Nine Inch Nails, go figure :shrug:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I never played a CD as the background music in a Quake engine game deliberately, but once I accidentally went through a Wages of SiN stealth mission with PM5K's System 11:11 on a loop because I forgot the disc was in the drive. It was working for me though, so I just let it loop for the whole mission.

Edit: I might have also been drinking Bawls at the time if you really want to complete the picture

SilentW posted:

ZPC! gently caress, where do I get a copy of that game? That's the only wierd marathon-clone / TC that I don't have...
(also ZPC will forever be associated with KMFDM for obvious reasons)
Looks like ebay has it for about $10-$20. I got my boxed copy at a short-lived computer repair shop in 1998, so... try there?

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 11, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

I never played a CD as the background music in a Quake engine game deliberately, but once I accidentally went through a Wages of SiN stealth mission with PM5K's System 11:11 on a loop because I forgot the disc was in the drive. It was working for me though, so I just let it loop for the whole mission.

Edit: I might have also been drinking Bawls at the time if you really want to complete the picture

I still drink Bawls when I can find them for $1.75 or cheaper. "Can't beat Bawls", I always say.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Denying Alexander Brandon is a war crime.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Alexander Brandon recently re-released some of his tracker works (when he was known as Chromatic Dragon, and later as Siren) on the bandcamp, but if you grab modplugtracker and take a look here, you'll be golden too. Recommending also his works from Tyrian and Jazz Jackrabbit 2.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Am I the only one who associates Toxicity with UT99? I remember playing so many giant bedroom instagib sniper maps while it played Toxicity at me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Quake didn't and doesn't have BGM.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

laserghost posted:

Alexander Brandon recently re-released some of his tracker works (when he was known as Chromatic Dragon, and later as Siren) on the bandcamp, but if you grab modplugtracker and take a look here, you'll be golden too. Recommending also his works from Tyrian and Jazz Jackrabbit 2.

Why would anyone use that old piece of poo poo software? Doesn't foobar2000 support module files?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Woolie Wool posted:

Why would anyone use that old piece of poo poo software? Doesn't foobar2000 support module files?

The last OpenMPT release was Feb 16 2015. I don't think foobar can let you edit modules or even view the patterns.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I use mpp on every computer since 2000, so it's kind of habit. I tried to move to xmplay and deliplayer for strict mod-music managing purposes, but I just keep going back to the real deal.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I use a Winamp plugin that uses OpenMPT's core. That way, I get either the best or the worst of both worlds, depending on who you ask! :haw:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv5Jvr2Fp48

Other than the main theme, it's mostly ambient noise in some quasi-melodic arrangement, so it's backround music.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
What are some other good map sets to use with ww-nazis? I've been playing Epic2 with it, I've gotten to map 8, and it has decided to kick my rear end all over Egypt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What, nobody listened to Creed's "Human Clay" album on constant repeat while playing custom UT'99 maps? Scrubs. :smugdog:

You animal.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm still rather fond of the Rankin theme and "Level 8", Tokara Forest's theme - maybe Action 2v2 as well. Plus a ton of UT99 music was reused verbatim, so it's not like there wasn't that.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Correct, it has background ambient noises that just happen to be pressed to the CD in the form of redbook audio.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Glagha posted:

Am I the only one who associates Toxicity with UT99? I remember playing so many giant bedroom instagib sniper maps while it played Toxicity at me.

My best friend at the internet cafe loved to listen to SOAD and play UT99. So, yes?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Glagha posted:

I associate Toxicity with Best Buy, because it was my first job and a co-worker introduced me to SOAD by blasting that poo poo after-hours while we were stocking shelves and cleaning up and closing. :cheeky:

That was such a lovely job. My first day there, the head of the computers department told me all about how the ladies loved him to go down on them because of his handlebar mustache. He then failed to show up to all the shift meetings and was fired no less than a week after I started.

Nostalgia about that time period reminds me that we don't talk about Tribes in this thread enough.

Tribes and especially Tribes 2 was some pretty magical classic FPS. I miss that poo poo. I guess I should give Tribes Ascend another chance but it didn't have the same charm when I looked at it last. Anybody still playing Ascend, or for that matter, 2?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just converted all the mods to mp3 so I could load them onto my iPod.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ascend is pretty dead, but t1, t2, and TV all have semi weekly pugs.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Night Dive has some new developments regarding NOLF, whether or not that means something about the prospects of the rerelease changing is anyone's guess: https://twitter.com/NightDiveStudio/status/575522745443827713

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zeether posted:

Night Dive has some new developments regarding NOLF, whether or not that means something about the prospects of the rerelease changing is anyone's guess: https://twitter.com/NightDiveStudio/status/575522745443827713

Well gently caress, I hope they get something good out of this history. I posted earlier on this thread how they couldn't get the rights and basically hit a wall.