Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Back of the envelope figures put it around 500 pounds (give or take a hundred). The biggest problem being how ridiculously thick it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
I feel like the Golden Age sword had to weigh almost 100 pounds at least. That thing was pretty big in the manga and while not as thick as Dragonslayer it is seen doing some pretty heavy damage.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Berserk wiki says the Dragonslayer is estimated at around 400lbs. It also gives estimated size, so I'm wondering if someone has actually made a calculation based on the density of iron.

quote:

The actual measurement of the sword remains unknown, as it is disproportionate in many scenes, especially during combat but due to Guts' size, the sword can be estimated to be 5'3" for blade length, 15" wide and 13" for hilt length, making the sword 6'6" a few inches taller than guts. it is shown in the first episode of the anime that the blade of the sword sits even with his shoulder and goes down to his ankles under his cape showing the blade is only 5'3" long.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

The Berserk wiki says the Dragonslayer is estimated at around 400lbs. It also gives estimated size, so I'm wondering if someone has actually made a calculation based on the density of iron.

Wolfram Alpha kicks out 538 pounds at 2 inches thick, albeit without considering the hilt or angles.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Real world strength comparison, this year's Arnold Strongman competition had the competitors lifting a 274lb dumbell overhead for reps. The guy who won is 6'8" and 440lbs.

And yes, that is Game of Thrones Hafthor 'The Mountain' Bjornsson competing. He managed to lift the dumbell overhead twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkH-gBV-7gs

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
How many times are you guys going to measure the loving sword lmao

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Clean and jerk world record is close to 600 lbs.
From now on, I will imagine Guts raising his sword in front of the neck, dropping into a squat, then extending his knees explosively with a nice "HUAAAGH!" for good measure.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Wolfram Alpha kicks out 538 pounds at 2 inches thick, albeit without considering the hilt or angles.

There's no way it's pure Iron it's probably Steel at least which should be a bit lighter.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

How many times are you guys going to measure the loving sword lmao
Until Elf Island.

That means forever.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

The_Frag_Man posted:

There's no way it's pure Iron it's probably Steel at least which should be a bit lighter.
The grand joke is that there's like umpty-billion different types of steel (enough that I can think of several college level courses more or less dedicated to steel even if the course description doesn't say that) and they all have varying strengths and densities and poo poo.

To put it simply, all the numbers posted previously are just rough estimates that are summed up as "no matter how you roll it it's gonna be a big hunk of metal and heavy."

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

BlackCircle posted:

The guys from the youtube show Man at Arms decided to tackle the Golden Age sword. It looks pretty true to the manga and movies and also looks like it weighs a fair amount. It was neat to watch how they actually went about forging the thing. Still sad that its not the Dragonslayer but after watching what they had to do to make this one work I can only imagine how insane a build for Dragonslayer would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nwh8yWh5WU

Thanks. I like the golden arc best and that was satisfying to watch. Especially the end when they cut stuff with it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

temple posted:

Thanks. I like the golden arc best and that was satisfying to watch. Especially the end when they cut stuff with it.

Probably takes at least five minutes between each take, half to set everything up and half to heft the loving sword. They only did like, two horizontal swings. I do like that the sword is a real sword and can cut poo poo up, though.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Why didn't they bring in a xyber huge steroids guy to swing it one handed?

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
At the time they thought they were making the dragonslayer sword due to insufficient research. They changed the title of the video after the comments section freaked out.

That said it's still an awesome achievement. Whoever said it wasn't real smithing can eat a barrel of dicks, they pounded out the edge angle by hand. I've watched all of the man at arms videos and that's also the only weapon they've ever made that's cut all the way through a bail of hay.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Might as well yap about swords, it's not like there's anything to derail.

Zodd's sword is a Heavy Ram Dao, a Nepalese sword used to sacrifice animals (a guess that's why he called it a 'horse sword').
In reality, they aren't as huge as in the manga, being around 21 to 30" long.

Still a pretty cool looking weapon.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Say Nothing posted:

Real world strength comparison, this year's Arnold Strongman competition had the competitors lifting a 274lb dumbell overhead for reps. The guy who won is 6'8" and 440lbs.

And yes, that is Game of Thrones Hafthor 'The Mountain' Bjornsson competing. He managed to lift the dumbell overhead twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkH-gBV-7gs

And that it's actually easier than lifting the same weight distributed across a 5 foot bar with just a regular handle.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

At the time they thought they were making the dragonslayer sword due to insufficient research. They changed the title of the video after the comments section freaked out.

That said it's still an awesome achievement. Whoever said it wasn't real smithing can eat a barrel of dicks, they pounded out the edge angle by hand. I've watched all of the man at arms videos and that's also the only weapon they've ever made that's cut all the way through a bail of hay.

They referred to it as Sam's build, so I think he was the one who asked for it specifically, the way Ilya did the Tetsusaiga, or something along those lines. Most of the guys seem to know little about the things their builds are from, and I doubt Sam's the guy who sets things up online. Everyone else (except probably Ilya since he's also an anime geek apparently) probably just goes off the comments and stuff, so when Sam comes to them asking for a sword from Berserk, they just know what people kept asking for the "Dragonslayer" from "Berserk" and those are the comments they're using for the opening thing, so.

But yeah, it's really impressive. The "not real blacksmiths" crowd is probably all people who've never forged a thing in their lives, too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Roland Jones posted:

But yeah, it's really impressive. The "not real blacksmiths" crowd is probably all people who've never forged a thing in their lives, too.

I've never forged anything in my life, nor do I think I ever will. Even so, I just don't see how people can bitch when so much effort is clearly being put into these things. If in fact these items were of shoddy quality, I wouldn't be able to tell you what quality actually is.:shrug:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
The 2012 movie just hit US Netflix streaming for anyone who hasn't seen it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Twiddy posted:

I feel like it's a step by step thing. They knew they couldn't do the Dragonslayer if they couldn't do the Golden Age sword so they worked out that one first without even considering the Dragonslayer. Now they might have to consider it.

Before this, they made Cloud's buster sword. It was so goddamned heavy that the tests were just them dropping it on things.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The guys over at ScrewAttack decided to see what would happen if Guts battled Nightmare from Soul Calibur. It works out like a normal day for Guts.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Supersonic Shine posted:

The guys over at ScrewAttack decided to see what would happen if Guts battled Nightmare from Soul Calibur. It works out like a normal day for Guts.

I'm happy Guts won. Guts always wins.

Whatever happened to the movie series?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
actually, guts always loses :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Salsa McManus posted:

Whatever happened to the movie series?

They're dead :rip:

I think everyone is still in a holding pattern to see if they actually adapt anything more, but I have no idea how the Golden Age films did financially.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

muike posted:

actually, guts always loses :(
Well, yeah. Did you see the part where Nightmare ran him through? Lost a good chunk of his small intestine, no doubt. Didn't need his small intestine to gently caress up a demonic sword, though.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Awesome Welles posted:

They're dead :rip:

I think everyone is still in a holding pattern to see if they actually adapt anything more, but I have no idea how the Golden Age films did financially.

I always thought I remembered it being they were going to adapt the full series, but then the three films were kind of shoddy and everything just vanished after that. Not even any news about what the gently caress happened.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think the assumption was that if the golden age movies were successful they'd do more, but I don't think they had anything planned past the first three, especially since IIRC the ticket sales after the first movie dropped precipitously, and they were bad.

It's funny because the first two were a mess, but the third was pretty well done (if simply because it covered less material so it was more coherent)

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I really liked them. They were well animated and I've read the story like a gazillion times and didn't think it was too bad on that account either. Can't remember anything really bad about them, to be honest, but I guess I'm just a sucker for pretty animations.

I also like FFVII Advent Children so my tastes are probably just bad and dumb.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It really needed to be an OVA series and not a movie series. The bigger budget and lack of content restrictions worked well for the movies, but not having enough room to breathe kinda hurt them.

Speaking of, was movie 3 as batshit horrifying as I was hearing it was? I remember reading it actually had to be cut down for Japan's equivalent of an R-rating with the uncut R18/NC-17 version playing in certain theaters, which makes sense for the Eclipse and makes me sort of curious how far they took things.

e: I just went and checked the parents guide on IMDB and :stonklol:

I remember the Eclipse being pretty bad in the manga but jesus gently caress.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 10, 2015

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It really needed to be an OVA series and not a movie series. The bigger budget and lack of content restrictions worked well for the movies, but not having enough room to breathe kinda hurt them.

Speaking of, was movie 3 as batshit horrifying as I was hearing it was? I remember reading it actually had to be cut down for Japan's equivalent of an R-rating with the uncut R18/NC-17 version playing in certain theaters, which makes sense for the Eclipse and makes me sort of curious how far they took things.

e: I just went and checked the parents guide on IMDB and :stonklol:

I remember the Eclipse being pretty bad in the manga but jesus gently caress.

I've seen the third movie twice, and I'd choose it over the tv show for showing someone the Eclipse. It's appropriately horrifying.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah the third movie was pretty decent for showing the horror of the eclipse. The CG also improved a lot in that film compared to what was in the previous films. They really should've used 3DS Max and the Pencil+ plugin for their toon shading instead of Maya...

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Man with Hat posted:

I really liked them. They were well animated and I've read the story like a gazillion times and didn't think it was too bad on that account either. Can't remember anything really bad about them, to be honest, but I guess I'm just a sucker for pretty animations.

I also like FFVII Advent Children so my tastes are probably just bad and dumb.

I love Advent Children and I still think the first two films are trash.

Ccs posted:

Yeah the third movie was pretty decent for showing the horror of the eclipse. The CG also improved a lot in that film compared to what was in the previous films. They really should've used 3DS Max and the Pencil+ plugin for their toon shading instead of Maya...

A big part of it is the eclipse is dark, so the CG-ness is better concealed. Also, the uncanney valley stuff works better with demons and poo poo that's supposed to look weird and off and not as much horses and human in noon daylight.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I personally liked the movies a lot, in that they condensed the manga and even the past anime into something I could convince someone to watch and still be comprehensible.

Unfortunately, I hadn't seen them before either, and the Eclipse was so horrifying to me, avid manga fan, that I barely watched any of it. I was surprised when they were explicit with Griffith and Charlotte, but ... Goddamn. I felt really bad that I didn't give a disclaimer before we watched that, because it's genuinely distressing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I thought all three movies were pretty drat solid movies, but not all that great of adaptations.

The best example would be the opening of the first movie, the siege of the castle, which is great, there's tons of frantic action but it's all very well shot and paced action so none of it's confusing, the musical score matches so well with the rush of solider fighting to get through the gates, get ontop of the walls, it's a chaotic mess but you can still follow the flow, you can still tell which side's which and whose winning/losing. And then it all stops, hard, when it gets to the fight between Guts and that big guy with the hammer. Now it's a scene for scene retelling of the manga, with tons of talking, there's dramatic shots, it looks cool, but it's still, very little motion, there's nothing going on except for what we're focused on right now. That's manga style storytelling, and it works, but it's such a sudden shift from that frantic battle just a minute before that you can almost smell the smoke from the gears grinding.

The first two movies really struggle with that, and some scenes get it right (Guts first fight with the band of the Hawk) and are able to be their own movie while still telling the same story as the manga, but then other scenes aren't sure of how to make that balance work, like the calvary battle at the start of the second movie, which again resorts to more manga style storytelling and pacing for a when Guts and Casca fall off the cliff.

The third movie is the one that really finds it's footing and is more able to comfortably adapt scenes from the manga while still making them for a movie. It's more consistent, more polished.

I kinda want to rewatch all three movies right now, actually, just so I wouldn't have my memories to rely on while talking about them and I can be more articulate.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I would have really liked the movies to start with the Black Swordsman saga. It was the perfect hook in the manga, as it told enough to become interested in the world and concealed enough to become interested in the story. The fact that we knew Griffith was going to become Femto but didn't know exactly when and where was the selling point of Golden Arc. The feeling of dread, the anxiety. Even in the most hopeful and light moments, deep down you remembered how, more or less, it's going to end.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
So I decided to look up how long it's been since Guts went on the boat. Chapter 278 which marks the beginning of that journey came out in December 2007. The last chapter related to the boat trip came out in March 2013.

The wait has been so long I really hope the trip will be worth it. But with Berserk you know that if anything good comes out of it the cost will be even worse.

:negative:

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Does anyone think that the series will actually be completed at this point? I love every single chapter of it but with 2-3 chapters coming every 6 months I kinda see it as a dim prospect that the series will have a proper ending instead of just kinda entering into a permanent hiatus.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

papasyhotcakes posted:

but with 2-3 chapters coming every 6 months
Nice post

from 2009!!!!!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

papasyhotcakes posted:

Does anyone think that the series will actually be completed at this point? I love every single chapter of it but with 2-3 chapters coming every 6 months I kinda see it as a dim prospect that the series will have a proper ending instead of just kinda entering into a permanent hiatus.

Jojo started around the same time, has as much detail, and is published on a consistent basis. At this point, I would take a paragraph summary just to get more than what we've gotten in the last 9 years. I've followed this series from when I saw dreamcast preview screenshots...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Diabetic posted:

Jojo started around the same time, has as much detail, and is published on a consistent basis. At this point, I would take a paragraph summary just to get more than what we've gotten in the last 9 years. I've followed this series from when I saw dreamcast preview screenshots...

Disagree on all points. Jojo is by no means badly drawn but I still would put it below Berserk. And personally I see no point in having more of it without the art.