Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

bewilderment posted:

The opening fiction to 3e suggests that 'the Wyld hunt shows up' is intended to be roughly seen as "three relatively ineffectual Dragonblooded, who maybe could take on a Solar if they all worked together, show up. Later, a Sidereal may show up too, at which point it will be an even fight when one-on-one."

Whether the rules support this is unknown to me.

The section proper that addresses the Wyld Hunt gives a better perspective. Basically, the Wyld Hunt is an age-old cultural institution among DBs that long predates the formal Immaculate faith. Any group of two or more Dragon-Blooded, anywhere, are authorized to form one if they discover an Anathema, which typically means Solars or Lunars but in theory encompasses rogue spirits or any sort of threat to Terrestrial primacy - think any sort of Western where the sheriff puts out a call to form a posse and hunt some miscreant outlaws. It isn't limited to Shikari, although ranking Terrestrials do try to keep random Outcaste chucklefucks from misusing its sanction or dying idiotically, if only to avoid tainting their own reputations by proxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Thesaurasaurus posted:

The section proper that addresses the Wyld Hunt gives a better perspective. Basically, the Wyld Hunt is an age-old cultural institution among DBs that long predates the formal Immaculate faith. Any group of two or more Dragon-Blooded, anywhere, are authorized to form one if they discover an Anathema, which typically means Solars or Lunars but in theory encompasses rogue spirits or any sort of threat to Terrestrial primacy - think any sort of Western where the sheriff puts out a call to form a posse and hunt some miscreant outlaws. It isn't limited to Shikari, although ranking Terrestrials do try to keep random Outcaste chucklefucks from misusing its sanction or dying idiotically, if only to avoid tainting their own reputations by proxy.

The editing throughout the book is kind of bad on this, as Wyld Hunt is used in different places to refer to the entire cultural institution, a Big Grand Proper Wyld Hunt With Shitloads of DBs, and any group of two or more DBs hunting an Anathema.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I'm pretty sure any time you get together to Protect the Future of the Dragonblooded Race and Preserve the Beauty of Dragonblooded Children or whatever it's understood to be a Wyld Hunt, whether or not you got white hoods to go with it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Bedlamdan posted:

There's quite a few! Combat Sorcery is now quite a viable option, especially if you take a merit that lets you do withering attacks with Int+Occult rolls.

Wait, there is such a merit?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I'm pretty sure any time you get together to Protect the Future of the Dragonblooded Race and Preserve the Beauty of Dragonblooded Children or whatever it's understood to be a Wyld Hunt, whether or not you got white hoods to go with it.

Sometimes a Crusade is when the Pope calls every king in Europe to take back the holy land, others it's a mob of delusional children who end up on the slave market.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
If I want to start getting into Exalted in preparation of 3e, is there any guides or whatever to 3e online that I can start reading or anything like that?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Quorum posted:

Wait, there is such a merit?

At the very least, the Pact with an Ifrit Lord initiation has a two-dot Merit that gives you at-will flamethrower hands. They're treated as a Light Thrown weapon with the Lethal and Mounted tags (and I'd assume Flame, but for some reason that's not in the list) that use Int+Occult for the attack.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Thesaurasaurus posted:

At the very least, the Pact with an Ifrit Lord initiation has a two-dot Merit that gives you at-will flamethrower hands. They're treated as a Light Thrown weapon with the Lethal and Mounted tags (and I'd assume Flame, but for some reason that's not in the list) that use Int+Occult for the attack.

That's what I was thinking of, yeah. Hands down, it's my favorite Initiation.

Sampatrick posted:

If I want to start getting into Exalted in preparation of 3e, is there any guides or whatever to 3e online that I can start reading or anything like that?

Technically it's not even out yet, most people are still figuring out the system before guides are made.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Thesaurasaurus posted:

In the game Attorney at Funk is running, I'm using that and a custom spell that's Wood Dragon's Claw but fire-aspected rather than wood-aspected to get some pretty solid firebending action going. Having an actual SSJ transformation in your pocket if things get serious is pretty great.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
This is it, in case anyone's wondering:

quote:

Fire Dragon's Claws
Cost: 5sm, 1wp
Keywords: None
Duration: Until dismissed
The sorcerer limns her hands in coruscating flame. Her unarmed attacks deal lethal damage, and she can hurl gouts of fire with the damage of a light thrown artifact weapon and the Natural, Lethal and Thrown(Short) tags. Anything the sorcerer touches or handles is burned by the flames; characters she's in contact with suffer a die of withering damage every round, taking lethal instead if they're in Initiative Crash or a trivial opponent. Hardness 1 or greater is sufficient to ignore this damage.

Characters with an Essence pool gain access to the following powers while this spell is active
  • Cinder Hell Torment (3m, 1wp; Supplemental; Instant): Ignite a bonfire (4L, difficulty 5) around an enemy upon landing a successful decisive attack. The fire burns magically for at least a minute, lasting longer and spreading if natural conditions allow.

• Artful Suspiration (1m or 1i; Reflexive; One round): Sculpting her flames, the sorcerer may grant her Thrown attacks one of these tags at a time: Chopping, Flexible, Piercing, Shield, Smashing, or Thrown(Medium).
A sorcerer who knows Fire Dragon's Claws as her control spell may create and master Evocations for the claws, which can only be used while this spell is active.

Distortion (Goal number 12): Distorted, the Fire Dragon's Claws burn out of control, erupting into great plumes of ash and smoke as they consume their wielder. The sorcerer can't make Thrown attacks using the spell, is blinded (taking a -3 penalty to actions depending on sight) and burns as though in contact with another character using this spell. Hardness and fire resistance don't protect the sorcerer from her own flames, and she loses 1 mote for each point of damage (withering or decisive) they deal her. Hardness and fire resistance can't protect a sorcerer against this damage. The spell can't be dismissed while distorted, but an extended (Wits + Integrity) or (Charisma or Manipulation + Presence) roll, (difficulty 2; interval 1 round; goal number 10) can be made to regain control of the flames. Otherwise, the distorted spell can be doused and ended if the sorcerer immerses herself completely in earth or water for at least a round.

I'm not sure if we ended up making the distortion effect too mild or too harsh relative to that for Wood Dragon's Claw, but w/e.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, is there any reason not to take Survival as Supernal, take 5 dots of Survival, take all the familiar-boosting charms, take seven different 3-dots Familars and still have 2 bonus points left over?

Can you imagine, 7 Solar-boosted Tyrant Lizards?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ronwayne posted:

Oh, well, yeah. I'm just getting a vibe of more hostility than that.
Yeah, I was parsing that as 'why wouldn't these regional power structures listen to me to fight one of the four looming overwhelming threats?' than 'who would ever want to make friends

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, is there any reason not to take Survival as Supernal, take 5 dots of Survival, take all the familiar-boosting charms, take seven different 3-dots Familars and still have 2 bonus points left over?

You need Res5 to feed them.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

MonsieurChoc posted:

Forget the tyrant lizards - there's no listed cap on the number of spirits/demons/elementals a Twilight can pokemon. . .

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

You can similarly start with entire legions of tiger-warriors, flying horses or boats, etc. You can really get crazy! Right off the bat!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kenlon posted:

Forget the tyrant lizards - there's no listed cap on the number of spirits/demons/elementals a Twilight can pokemon. . .

If Mnemon is any indication, you're supposed to have armies of them bound to you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The limit on demons is pretty much "however many you can effectively manage," yeah.

I'm not really sure what Mnemon does to get a cloud of immaterial spirits around her all the time. Don't they get bored? Maybe she finds demon species that don't get bored, or switches them out frequently. Or takes them for long runs every evening, I dunno.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

You can similarly start with entire legions of tiger-warriors, flying horses or boats, etc. You can really get crazy! Right off the bat!

Yeah, this. Starting with a tyrant lizard is badass, but no more badass than a Swag Boate (TM) or an army. There's pretty decent parity to the value of merits and playstyles.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Rand Brittain posted:

The limit on demons is pretty much "however many you can effectively manage," yeah.

I'm not really sure what Mnemon does to get a cloud of immaterial spirits around her all the time. Don't they get bored? Maybe she finds demon species that don't get bored, or switches them out frequently. Or takes them for long runs every evening, I dunno.

I'm picturing a giant hamsterwheel set up and a manse powergrid on the other side.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Rand Brittain posted:

If the 1E fiction is any indication, she doesn't give a poo poo because her sorcerous control over them is absolute so they can suck it up and :dealwithit:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That's not really how demon-binding works, but yeah, "threat of main force" is probably about right for her.

Nota bene: this is not actually a good way to control fifty demons who are all following you around. They will go crazy and do weird things.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Knowing Mnemon, she probably considers that a feature, not a bug, like with Snow Crash's Raven and his nuclear dead man's switch.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
2e had rules for using special strictures in demon-binding that overwrote parts of their personality; they may still be running with that, in terms of keeping them under control.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Knowing Mnemon, she probably considers that a feature, not a bug, like with Snow Crash's Raven and his nuclear dead man's switch.

True.

That's even in the sidebar in 3e, where it says that overuse of demons will cause all kinds of weird trouble, but it probably won't be for you, so most sorcerers don't care.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

2e had rules for using special strictures in demon-binding that overwrote parts of their personality; they may still be running with that, in terms of keeping them under control.

Abcissic binding is more about taking advantage of existing personality traits in order to make sure a demon is compliant. It doesn't actually remove the need to manage demons; it just gives you an idea of which management techniques are likely to work in advance.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Does starting the game with half a dozen tyrant lizards or a full-on army work for your game? Does your group like it? Then go nuts. If not though, don't be ridiculous.

Things can probably be scaled up or down based on your power level irrespective of what your actual stats on your sheet say, so if you're wielding seven tyrant lizards or something then you'll have to have equally ridiculous antagonists, most of which can take your insane investment in nothing but monsters or armies and ignore it long enough to kill you. But that's just an admittedly scaled up version of using familiars or armies at all, really.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
That said, it'd be nice if "fighting with a powerful familiar" was akin to "fighting with a powerful daiklave" or "fighting with a powerful martial art" in the sense that you could go all-out on the gimmick without breaking the action economy and ruining your ability to participate in fights alongside your circlemates in a non-ridiculous manner.

At the very least, someone with twenty blood apes or whatever should probably be treated as having a size 2 (I think? I'm not looking at the chart) battle group rather than, you know, twenty blood apes. Then they're just taking two turns per turn rather than a score and change.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Nah, I just found the idea funny. Now I have two character concepts: badass pirate with undead/monster crew and beastmaster.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Someone ran the numbers for familiars when the leak came out, and a starting (Supernal) beastmaster with a gorilla familiar can have it rout a max-sized battlegroup with an average leader without personally lifting a finger, and beat the poo poo out of most enemies in a grapple. A single tyrant lizard with maximum Survival buffs and an Essence 5 handler can outfight a War 5 Essence 5 Solar with several dream team battlegroups. Adding Ride basically turns it into the Harlem Globetrotters to the War Solar's Washington Generals.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Daeren posted:

Someone ran the numbers for familiars when the leak came out, and a starting (Supernal) beastmaster with a gorilla familiar can have it rout a max-sized battlegroup with an average leader without personally lifting a finger, and beat the poo poo out of most enemies in a grapple. A single tyrant lizard with maximum Survival buffs and an Essence 5 handler can outfight a War 5 Essence 5 Solar with several dream team battlegroups. Adding Ride basically turns it into the Harlem Globetrotters to the War Solar's Washington Generals.

yeah I think Tyrant Lizards should be put at 'Royal Warstriders and Crowns of Thunder' for the purposes of Chargen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Daeren posted:

Exalted 3E - Goin' Ape

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Here's what I think happened: "Familiar" was literally their day one go-to example of a Merit that could stop at 3 dots instead of going all the way up to 5 , which was something that switching to Merits instead of Backgrounds finally allowed them to do, because Backgrounds can't stop at 3 for some reason. But that meant that a talking dog was actually worth as much as a tyrannosaurus rex. But familiar going up to 4 or 5? Ridiculous! This is an election year!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Daeren posted:

Don't forget that a Twilight can get an arbitrary large number of first circle demon familiars stored in a pocket for free (though can't get Supernal Survival, for whatever reason).

Edit: Having that anima power but no Supernal Survival is really weird, thinking about it.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 11, 2015

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daeren posted:

Someone ran the numbers for familiars when the leak came out, and a starting (Supernal) beastmaster with a gorilla familiar can have it rout a max-sized battlegroup with an average leader without personally lifting a finger

i'm pretty okay with this, at least

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

zeal posted:

i'm pretty okay with this, at least

same

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Finally, some good use to come out of the whole lunars are pet animals thing.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ronwayne posted:

Finally, some good use to come out of the whole lunars are pet animals thing.

Animals are pretty swole in this edition, and come with a lot of unique abilities. One the one hand, this makes shapeshifting actually useful now, on the other hand how are people even alive.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That's been a good question for all the editions. The answer is probably along the line that mortals are like cockroaches/bacteria.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Bedlamdan posted:

Animals are pretty swole in this edition, and come with a lot of unique abilities. One the one hand, this makes shapeshifting actually useful now, on the other hand how are people even alive.

Take it all the way back to DnD roots and Exalt fighting the deadly combat monster that is a house cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I think there's an issue that effects a lot of fantasy stuff where we've lost sight of what should be epic action because of spectacle inflation. In the older source material killing a lion or a gorilla bare handed is a feat worthy of a Hero because the audience would understand how impossible that is in reality. Modern games and other geek media have escalated to the point where any animal that's not three times its natural size and made of burning steel feels like small fry.

• Locked thread