Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bicyclops posted:

I liked Castle Crashers, the tedious beat-em-up TMNT clone with cartoon poop jokes for 4 players which went overpriced once it hit steam. maybe it was always overpriced, i dunno, I had a roommate who bought it for his x box. I would like more games like that, though, where you ram buttons and level up with friends.

Castle Crashers isn't exactly a good beat-em-up but the online 4-player co-op and unlockable characters go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Castle Crashers isn't exactly a good beat-em-up but the online 4-player co-op and unlockable characters go a long way.

The unlockable characters only differences were in magic and half the time the spells were poo poo.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Bicyclops posted:

I liked Castle Crashers, the tedious beat-em-up TMNT clone with cartoon poop jokes for 4 players which went overpriced once it hit steam. maybe it was always overpriced, i dunno, I had a roommate who bought it for his x box. I would like more games like that, though, where you ram buttons and level up with friends.

I remember my friend and I being all excited to fill up all those weapon slots with hilarious items, too bad like 99% of them have lovely worthless stats. there are like a handful of swords actually worth a drat. also pick electric guy, always pick electric guy

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Just play Guardian Heroes the rerelease on modern consoles is really good

Too bad its not on Steam

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eye of Widesauron posted:

I was looking for an FAU post to quote and this is the first one i found.
Why

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Whenever I see Bayonetta all I can think about is Hideki Kamiya trying as hard as he can not to jerk off to her but failing miserably, and then talking about blocking people on twitter or something.

It's the glasses that do it for him.

wikipedia posted:

She was additionally given glasses at Kamiya's insistence, intended to differentiate her from other female characters as well as give her a "sense of mystery and intelligence", though Shimazaki attributed it to possibly his preference for women with glasses.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

lol

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

The unlockable characters only differences were in magic and half the time the spells were poo poo.

I know, but it still feels neat to unlock characters in a game. It's one of the greatest joys in life.

e:

Bayo being some kind of sex symbol is really alien to me. I mean yeah she strip teases and all that stuff but she looks like a cross between Janine from ghostbusters and a mutant giraffe.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 10, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i wish people would get over her height. there was a perfectly normal reason for it

wiki again posted:

She was given longer legs and arms to make her more appealing as an action-game character, countering what Shimazaki felt was a trend of female characters in such games having short and thin limbs. Her limbs and the rest of her design were appealing to Kamiya, and development proceeded on the character's attire.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

I remember my friend and I being all excited to fill up all those weapon slots with hilarious items, too bad like 99% of them have lovely worthless stats. there are like a handful of swords actually worth a drat. also pick electric guy, always pick electric guy

Yeah, that's kind of the problem, is eventually you get bored because none of the unlockable things re actually any good and it's extremely tedious to unlock them.

Rare drops are a thing I would like for them to largely phase out of video games, because most of the time it's the most boring gate to cool stuff.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

that said we played through the whole game like 20 times, but that may have only been because of the boomerang level up glitch

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, that's kind of the problem, is eventually you get bored because none of the unlockable things re actually any good and it's extremely tedious to unlock them.

Rare drops are a thing I would like for them to largely phase out of video games, because most of the time it's the most boring gate to cool stuff.
:agreed:

Borderlands and diablo-likes would be actually enjoyable if the legendary, cool looking weapons and armor with useful or neat effects were every drop. Instead of having to manage your inventory of a million useless pointy sticks.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nasgate posted:

Borderlands and diablo-likes would be actually enjoyable if the legendary, cool looking weapons and armor with useful or neat effects were every drop. Instead of having to manage your inventory of a million useless pointy sticks.

Cheat engine and Borderlands 2 can make this happen

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That's been bugging me in Path of Exile, it's fun and you've got a lot of build options but actually getting the currency to get good stuff is a pain.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Nasgate posted:

Yup.

As much as I love Borderlands and have played it, I've never EVER found a pearlescent weapon. What the hell :mad:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

the boss of the latest chapter of the new RE is really dumb mechanics-wise, moreso than usual, and has a tiny, tiny head.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

the boss of the latest chapter of the new RE is really dumb mechanics-wise, moreso than usual, and has a tiny, tiny head.
The deadly Virus Scout. You're never going to hit his tiny little head.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nasgate posted:

I'd like a game where you can merge crappy weapons to randomly generate a less crappy one, and then merge those into better stuff and so 100 poo poo-covered sticks could be combined into something radical with a really rare drop rate.

Instead you can sell the crappy weapons to fund repairs for your one actually good one. :/

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

I'd like a game where you can merge crappy weapons to randomly generate a less crappy one, and then merge those into better stuff and so 100 poo poo-covered sticks could be combined into something radical with a really rare drop rate.

Instead you can sell the crappy weapons to fund repairs for your one actually good one. :/

Dota 2

Also Diablo with transmutation I believe

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lurdiak posted:

Two Worlds.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

JebanyPedal posted:

Two Worlds.

Which is just $1 on Steam right now, I think.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If they're going to make stuff where you have to grind out enemies to get it, the least they could do is make it a guaranteed drop after killing so many of a certain enemy type.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Which is just $1 on Steam right now, I think.

yep

i bought it and it has an option that says male body on character creation, but i couldn't figure out if there was an option to be a woman? I don't wanna be a dude

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Well of course you don't. Men have to spend all day toiling in the feminism mines, filling their carts with social justice.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well of course you don't. Men have to spend all day toiling in the feminism mines, filling their carts with social justice.

sounds gay

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

*gets shot in the street by the PC Police*

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

this legitimately made me laugh out loud

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Phantasium posted:

If they're going to make stuff where you have to grind out enemies to get it, the least they could do is make it a guaranteed drop after killing so many of a certain enemy type.

Yah, p. much. Even "kill 100 of this thing" is better than "1/255 of this thing will drop what actually matters."

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
This is a pretty ownage week for video games. Cities: Skylines, Hotline Miami 2, and Ori and the Blind Forest are all out now for PC. Codename: Steam comes out for 3DS on Friday. :hellyeah:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Also if you're a fan of really bad, overpriced and buggy as gently caress games, Battlefield Hardline is here. For an extra $50 you can get access to the entire game, spread out over the next year

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont think codename steam is going to be very good unfortunately

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Did you play the demo? I downloaded it but I haven't tried it yet, I just assume being made by the Fire Emblem team means it's going to be good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Adam Bowen posted:

Also if you're a fan of really bad, overpriced and buggy as gently caress games, Battlefield Hardline is here. For an extra $50 you can get access to the entire game, spread out over the next year

i actually bought this, rip

premium also

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Adam Bowen posted:

Did you play the demo? I downloaded it but I haven't tried it yet, I just assume being made by the Fire Emblem team means it's going to be good.

i didnt try it yet it just looks really slow and kind of bland like they didnt really use the setting to its fullest potential. hopefully it turns out good though

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you actually play the demo its just not very fun. it feels like a bad copy of vc. really ugly in motion too

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Bicyclops posted:

Yah, p. much. Even "kill 100 of this thing" is better than "1/255 of this thing will drop what actually matters."

This is a big part of why I'm playing less games these days. Abysmal drop rates, long grinds, and the like. Who has the time to be treated like this in their leisure time? I just want a video game that is cool with me only playing it sometimes, and I still get to have fun with it.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
the codename steam demo was aggressively bad. every aspect of how it controlled irritated me. also steampunk is dumb. i was excited for this dumb game and the demo made me feel like a fool.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
i liked the demo so im gonna buy it

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I just picked up Survivalist on Steam and played for a few hours, its interesting in conception but kind of boring - does it pick up after you've spent some time playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

codename steam has like minute + long enemy turns that can't be sped up

• Locked thread