Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I'd like to try making some 3DS decals. Anyone have an online printer to recommend? Or would I be better off just getting decal paper or something for a laser printer?

I've had good experiences with Sticker Robot in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

kedo posted:

I've had good experiences with Sticker Robot in the past.

Thanks! I did see that site and thought it was perfect, except the minimum order is 500 for clear decals. I was hoping to do a trial run of like 50-100 just to see if I could sell them on Etsy or whatever, 500 is a bit of a spicy meatball.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 28, 2015

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame
Can anyone help me identify this lithograph, or point me in the right direction?

http://imgur.com/a/edmV4

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
I know there are a lot of writers and grammar/syntax dudes here, so I'm hoping someone could help me out - what would a Reed Kellogg diagram of "Make love, not war" look like? A friend needs a hand and I'm rusty enough that I don't trust my own diagram.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Is there a mechanical pencil that works like the Fisher space pen where it's short when closed, but the cap makes it full-length when put on the back side?

.random
May 7, 2007

Gatekeeper posted:

I know there are a lot of writers and grammar/syntax dudes here, so I'm hoping someone could help me out - what would a Reed Kellogg diagram of "Make love, not war" look like? A friend needs a hand and I'm rusty enough that I don't trust my own diagram.

I've never made a Reed-Kellogg before (only tree diagrams), so there's a chance this is all wrong v:saddowns:v But I thought I would give it a go. From what I've read, R-K doesn't even seem to fully support omitted words/clauses ("fill in X"???), so I added the implicit words in parentheses.

code:
                                        ___love___
                                       / .
___XX (You)___|___(Should) Make___|___/  . (and)
              |                       \  .
                                       \___war___
                                            \
                                             \ not
                                              \
My personal conclusion: R-K is weird and not very helpful.
(Optional corollary: I am weird and not very helpful.)

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Is there some kind of thread devoted to posting/critiquing portfolio websites? If not, I might end up making one myself.

I feel like this would probably be a very beneficial resource to have.

Also, what kind of paint is generally good for wood? I'm using acrylics right now.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It's right here, but it doesn't get a whole lot of action.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
What would be a good way for me to find buyers for my Adobe licenses? I have two licenses for CS6 Design & Web Premium, one each for Windows and Mac (and each license allows for installation on up to 2 computers.) The licenses are registered to my account, so although Adobe allows for the sale and transfer of them it does pose a bit of a barrier to easily selling them.

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.
I've noticed there's nowhere on SA to discuss or learn about flow-based performance arts, such as poi, hula hooping, contact staff, juggling, fire dancing, etc. This forum seems pretty dedicated to 2D/3D art and writing/literature, and I'm concerned if that sort of thread would fit in here.

Just don't wanna step on any toes. If there's a better section of SA where performance art would fit in, I'd appreciate being pointed that way instead.

.random
May 7, 2007

Muffin Rhino posted:

flow-based performance arts

There is a theater/theatre threade and a thread on comedianizing, so I don't see why there shouldn't be one on "flow-based performance arts." (Just make sure you name it something cool like "More flow than <insert clever rap music reference here>: Lots of weird performance art discussion itt".)

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

A few years ago there was a book that came out of this forum that was all space-related art. Is that still around anywhere, or does anyone have a list of the images and the artists?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
When using the Pathfinder -> Divide tool in Illustrator (CC 2014), is it possible to divide one of the objects while keeping the other intact?

\/ \/ \/ perfect, thanks.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 17, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lincoln posted:

When using the Pathfinder -> Divide tool in Illustrator (CC 2014), is it possible to divide one of the objects while keeping the other intact?

I think you might want Trim?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm trying to find a font similiar to the one used here:

I'll be honest, I don't know much about fonts at all, so I'm not sure where to start. Is there anything I might be able to use?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Colon Semicolon posted:

I'm trying to find a font similiar to the one used here:

I'll be honest, I don't know much about fonts at all, so I'm not sure where to start. Is there anything I might be able to use?

You can probably find something on one of these sites:

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/list/tag/Distressed
http://www.fontspace.com/category/distressed
http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=109

A lot of the distressing on your example looks like it was done by hand (ie. the shattered bits).

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I think this might be the right place to ask this:

I have been asked to make a training video for my supervisors to use after I leave. I have a Canon S110 which should be able to serve as my video camera, but what free editing software can I use to cut and paste video, do voice overs, and incorporate images and text. I would like to upload it to youtube.

I have one month of Peace COrps service left, and am doing this as a favor. I definitely don't want to pay for any software, so it's fine if I can only use barebones software that can't do all of the things I listed above.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I also have a question that I'm not sure belongs in here.

I've been trying to get back into music with a variety of instruments and in the interest of not getting murdered by people who live near me I want to pipe it through my computer so I can a) use headphones and b) eventually record. What's a good real-time processing software, really preferably free, that will let me add effects. If it's made for guitar that's fine since 90% of what I'll be wanting to modify is a string instrument. Input will be via a 1/4->USB adapter.

e: Exclamation Marx pointed me to the right sticky, sorry

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 9, 2015

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

I've used VLC a couple of times to convert avi files to mp4's, but today it just keeps converting my avi to m4v, which FCP doesn't like. Did I check a wrong box somewhere, is the avi file different? How do I get it back to how it used to be?

e: worked out using handbrake

Sai fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 8, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I also have a question that I'm not sure belongs in here.

I've been trying to get back into music with a variety of instruments and in the interest of not getting murdered by people who live near me I want to pipe it through my computer so I can a) use headphones and b) eventually record. What's a good real-time processing software, really preferably free, that will let me add effects. If it's made for guitar that's fine since 90% of what I'll be wanting to modify is a string instrument. Input will be via a 1/4->USB adapter.

The Home recording sticky in the Musician's Lounge might be able to help you better?

I have a question, is there a better/more specific name for these kinds of 2-tone, floral, ornamental patterns?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Exclamation Marx posted:

The Home recording sticky in the Musician's Lounge might be able to help you better?

I have a question, is there a better/more specific name for these kinds of 2-tone, floral, ornamental patterns?

I don't know what the patterns themselves are called, but in fabric you would typically find this sort of thing as "floral jacquard" or "floral brocade"

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Damask

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Isn't damask really just another type of jacquard fabric? Something where you would commonly see such a pattern, but not really a name for the patterns themselves.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Thank you both, those give me better search results.

I'm also wondering if this kind of thing has a name, it reminds me of contemporised book ornaments more than anything, but those tend to be one-off things rather than patterned.

Staircase
Jun 6, 2011

A goon made this and posted it in (I think) a daily drawing thread a few years ago. Love the style, but I forgot who made it! Anyone know? I'd love to see more of their work.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Staircase posted:

A goon made this and posted it in (I think) a daily drawing thread a few years ago. Love the style, but I forgot who made it! Anyone know? I'd love to see more of their work.

I recall another drawing from this person back in 2010-12. I have Archives, but I can't find it. It was a UK punk with leathers and the tattoo "KNIFE CRIME" (with stabby dagger in a heart, too?)

I think about the phrase and context every once in a while and have a polite chuckle about it.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Some time ago I bought a Pentel GFKP Brush Pen. It's amazing, I love it. It was expensive and I had to jump through some hoops to get it, though. Today I tested dipping it in water to dilute the ink a bit, and had some really nice results with it, but stopped because I started wondering a bit: will doing this ruin the pen? I've had some lovely felt tipped "brush" pens earlier, and I did the same thing to them too and they're definitely ruined now (not a big loss).

So, uh, I don't want to ruin my fancy pen but I also really like the look I can get using it like this. Guys, help?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Crayola sells packs of brush pens that one can take apart, clean out, and refill with pigment or water. Since I haven't tried the Pentel one, I can't compare the line quality; however, they're cheap enough to experiment with.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Yeah, uh, I don't think we have Crayola here in Finland.

Clockwork Eggplant
Nov 3, 2010

Then he said he has hair, it's just that it's scalp-colored.
The brush tips in Pentel Pocket Brush pens (that's the one you have, right? Opaque black barrel and cap?) have nylon bristles, so I don't think that water is going to do any damage to it beyond maybe diluting the ink in the cartridge a little bit. Alternatively you could buy something like a waterbrush, which is much cheaper, and fill it with diluted black ink instead of water. The site I linked to ships internationally, though I can't say how expensive it would be to ship to Europe.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My friend and I are looking at recording some "show"-type footage for various reviews. Any ideas on camcorders we should be looking at? Any reason why we shouldn't just get a gopro and leave it stationary?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

PerrineClostermann posted:

My friend and I are looking at recording some "show"-type footage for various reviews. Any ideas on camcorders we should be looking at? Any reason why we shouldn't just get a gopro and leave it stationary?

GoPros have a wide viewing angle that might be weird for shooting two guys in a room talking, or really many things that aren't POV.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can set a gopro to narrow field of view.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Cakefool posted:

You can set a gopro to narrow field of view.

It's digital zoom so you lose quality. And, even then, not all that narrow.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

I'm getting a screen printing press and I want to try printing paper goods. I have some experience with fabric printing from college but not paper. I'm having a hard time finding any info about supplies. Mostly inks and substrates.

What paper should I be printing on? I want something thicker and card-ier like for greeting cards.
Also I want to do stickers, what do I print on for that?
Do I need specific paper inks vs what I have for fabric?

Any suppliers to recommend? I know some shirt suppliers offer sample deals, like get 1 of a bunch of brands to try. Do paper suppliers offer anything similar?

Thank you.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Staircase posted:

Crap I forget her name... Man that was a while ago. It was definitely a woman though. Haha, I'm super helpful.

Edit: TonyDanzasHo?

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
I have an out there question for anyone experienced with oil paints. I want to sort of achieve the look of disk defrag software for a painting I'm working on. Looks like this:

I'm just not certain how to achieve it, I've certainly experimented multiple ways but haven't quite nailed a good enough look for it. Are there any techniques that could help?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Plop the colours down on one side of the canvas and scrape it across with a wide uneven spatula?

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

mutata posted:

Crap I forget her name... Man that was a while ago. It was definitely a woman though. Haha, I'm super helpful.

Edit: TonyDanzasHo?

Different person. I'm not sure if it was a woman, but I'm almost certain they had a B in their name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I think it might be bitmap, I crossposted the question in the animation thread.

edit: It's banque.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 24, 2015