Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I think Elizabeth has some serious problems with them using Kimmie too. She just suppresses her doubts more than Phillip, but look at how restless she is when he's out on a mission with her.

She has doubts but I don't think Elizabeth will ever deny the Centre.

There's seriously no way in hell that Pedophil and Kimmie are going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Naylenas posted:

Wonder how much 21st Century Schizoid Man would have cost them.

Hey, Children of Men got it, and it only had a budget of ~$70mil or so.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
It would cut too deep into the seasons wig budget to spend Pink Floyd money on one episode.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

She has doubts but I don't think Elizabeth will ever deny the Centre.

There's seriously no way in hell that Pedophil and Kimmie are going to happen.

I think that's what is exactly going to happen. Each episode just keeps getting more and more cringeworthy. But railing in 15 year old for CIA secrets is the most cringeworthy thing I can fathom happening.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

But railing in 15 year old for CIA secrets is the most cringeworthy thing I can fathom happening.

Tis still a young season

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Fetus Tree posted:

Tis still a young season

Feel good post of the year. :)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

annapacketstormaya posted:

Hey, Children of Men got it, and it only had a budget of ~$70mil or so.

Children of Men got in the Court of the Crimson King though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Who besides prog-rock nerds would get King Crimson though? Everyone knows Pink Floyd.

cenotaph posted:

Hmm yeah I must have misremembered the specifics.

Well if he's not in Afghanistan now, he'll get shipped there on the next plane if Phil doesn't step up his :pedo: game.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Party Plane Jones posted:

Children of Men got in the Court of the Crimson King though.

Eh, close enough. It probably cost more, if anything.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

I think that's what is exactly going to happen. Each episode just keeps getting more and more cringeworthy. But railing in 15 year old for CIA secrets is the most cringeworthy thing I can fathom happening.

I don't think they can go through with it, they're going to use the JESUS thing to avoid having to involve statutory rape. You can be edgy with some things, but I think there is a serious chance they would lose viewers if it happened and grossed people out too much.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Just finished watching the first season, was really surprised how good it was. Had never heard of the show but I just read a book about Stuxnet which mentions the Farewell Dossier. Talking to a friend about that led to this show. Gonna start season 2, hope this keeps up.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

phosdex posted:

Just finished watching the first season, was really surprised how good it was. Had never heard of the show but I just read a book about Stuxnet which mentions the Farewell Dossier. Talking to a friend about that led to this show. Gonna start season 2, hope this keeps up.

I think you'll be pleased with the show. Imo it generally gets better after the first season too.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I think the show gets worse from the first season. A spy isn't a spy without the potential of getting caught. We know they aren't getting caught so that's 90% of the suspense. Also if the director's personality is anything like his ability to direct, he must be the most boring man on earth.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I suppose I'm completely alone in this but I know Nina will survive and ugh, I hope the KGB wastes her.

She's an incredibly boring character. Everyone else has some principles or values that they have to weigh against necessity, Nina is just a pure survivor. So she betrayed the Belgian chick, and? Why do I care? It was completely predictable because it's not like she ever had a discernible non-selfish motivation.

Also :stonkhat: at that prayer scene. Kimmy showing some kindness and genuine caring for "James" beneath her "horny difficult teenager" exterior, and meanwhile the audience knows that this just heaps even more torture on Philip. This loving show.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

blablablabla posted:

I think the show gets worse from the first season. A spy isn't a spy without the potential of getting caught. We know they aren't getting caught so that's 90% of the suspense. Also if the director's personality is anything like his ability to direct, he must be the most boring man on earth.

look how wrong this post is

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

phosdex posted:

This show is bangin like a 15 year old

Fetus Tree posted:

Tis still a young season

Sup Fetus Tree. Gotta give you a :thurman: for that one well done buddy

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 10, 2015

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

This show is bangin like a 15 year old

too soon?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Not according to her

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I actually think the smartest thing the show did was move Stan into his own storylines so he isn't just chasing them around for five years.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guildencrantz posted:

I suppose I'm completely alone in this but I know Nina will survive and ugh, I hope the KGB wastes her.

She's an incredibly boring character. Everyone else has some principles or values that they have to weigh against necessity, Nina is just a pure survivor. So she betrayed the Belgian chick, and? Why do I care? It was completely predictable because it's not like she ever had a discernible non-selfish motivation.

No I agree completely. Nina should have been left off the show after season 2.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I agree that it seems to me like Season 2 should have just been the end of Nina but I'm willing to wait and see where they go with her plotline first. This is a slow-burning show, I imagine they have some good idea to tie her in.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No I agree completely. Nina should have been left off the show after season 2.
Eh, it is a good way to point out the truth of the Soviet system. Elizabeth and Phil are portrayed as genuinely good people risking life and limb for a cause they truly believe in and it's tremendously humanizing—the tragedy is that the state on whose behalf they fight is thoroughly contemptible and represents none of their ideals.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Not according to her

:thurman: :vince:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Cugel the Clever posted:

Eh, it is a good way to point out the truth of the Soviet system. Elizabeth and Phil are portrayed as genuinely good people risking life and limb for a cause they truly believe in and it's tremendously humanizing—the tragedy is that the state on whose behalf they fight is thoroughly contemptible and represents none of their ideals.

Thematically it makes complete sense, yeah. Too bad the oppression is happening to a character I can't bring myself to give two shits about.

Also Jesus Christ by what measure are Liz and Phil good people other than "not literally John Wayne Gacy"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

How does that point out the truth of the Soviet system? I mean her situation is kind of lovely but she did commit treason.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

How does that point out the truth of the Soviet system? I mean her situation is kind of lovely but she did commit treason.

yeah I can't imagine a Reagan era American traitor would be treated a whole ton better, and in 2015 America they'd be treated worse

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Yeah and Liz and Phil may be sympathetic but they are by no means good people. Phil can agonize all he wants about how he's emotionally abusing Kim but he's still doing it anyways, to say nothing of the countless people they've killed.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

blablablabla posted:

I mean, if they get caught the show is over so im not really sure what you expected

Sup Fetus Tree. Gotta give you a :thurman: for that one well done buddy

:cheers:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah, they're not "good people", but they're people. With many redeeming features, including a conscience and genuinely idealistic motives

the tension in the show isn't about the main characters, it's about everyone else - nobody's safe, apart from P and E (and, evidently, Nina). like, we can be pretty confident that Stan won't die, but we legitimately can't be sure. the kids are also killable in the context of the show. there's a lot of danger; even in the mains can't be directly exposed or killed, they can still suffer a lot.

like, imagine if stan actually finds them and they have to take him out - imagine how enormously lovely that would be for philip

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

V. Illych L. posted:

like, imagine if stan actually finds them and they have to take him out - imagine how enormously lovely that would be for philip

Yeah, I really like how the show has built up Phillip and Stan's friendship as a real thing. He's not subtly pumping Stan for information, and he's spending his free time at bullshit EST meetings because he wants to support his buddy. It's a nice contrast to Elizabeth, who doesn't seem to associate with anyone, even her daughter, without having an ulterior motive.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

JohnSherman posted:

Yeah, I really like how the show has built up Phillip and Stan's friendship as a real thing. He's not subtly pumping Stan for information, and he's spending his free time at bullshit EST meetings because he wants to support his buddy. It's a nice contrast to Elizabeth, who doesn't seem to associate with anyone, even her daughter, without having an ulterior motive.

OTOH Elizabeth's detachment from the world has its merits. The show hammers it in a lot that Phillip pays a heavier toll for the terrible poo poo they have to do, Liz shields herself from that by not bonding with people outside the spy network. Phillip is certainly more relatable because of his more emotional and nurturing nature, but maybe those aren't the best traits to have in a job that involves murdering innocents and loving vulnerable teenage girls.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

V. Illych L. posted:

the kids are also killable in the context of the show

We should be so lucky

The boy i dont mind but paige has annoying story lines

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Fetus Tree posted:

We should be so lucky

The boy i dont mind but paige has annoying story lines

easy to say when the boy doesn't have story lines.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

beanieson posted:

Hey now he stole a photo of Stan's wife in a bikini. Surely that'll have repercussions a couple seasons down the road.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

beanieson posted:

Yep which is why i dont mind him

#killpaigekrew

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Skylar Paige is a oval office.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The worst thing that's happened in a Paige storyline was when they didn't follow up on her budding feud with the young Lita Ford wannabe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

beanieson posted:

He is reflecting his parent's spy skills. He breaks into houses to play videogames in the season when Phil breaks into universities to gently caress with computers. He steals the photo of a love interest; and pumps stan for into about her.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Baloogan posted:

He is reflecting his parent's spy skills. He breaks into houses to play videogames in the season when Phil breaks into universities to gently caress with computers. He steals the photo of a love interest; and pumps stan for into about her.

He needs to work on his 'awkward-o-meter' when it comes to asking questions, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I like Paige :(

• Locked thread