Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cernunnos posted:

They really didn't want to print another Noble Hierarch. :(

They should've made Rattleclaw Mystic cost G and be like a 0/1 and just tap for Temur colors and I would've been satisfied. Just gimme my turn two Knux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
To be fair they could have Roc Egg-like cards at common, that make a dragon token, and other such sidesteps instead of just printing whelps, which they should have done.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Wasn't there also going to be some cycle of keyrune-type artifacts that can turn into dragons?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BrokenKnees posted:

Wasn't there also going to be some cycle of keyrune-type artifacts that can turn into dragons?

Supposedly. I'm sure that all shows up at the same time if its still in.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog/...Reserve_Mastery

haha nice

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I want to play GW Butts so bad right now. Maybe Azban for Rhino and Disowned Ancestor.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

They have the best descriptions for their newsletter sales
Sorin
Sorry, Gothic Trendsetter

"This trench coat is a symbol of my pain."

and

Monastery Mentor
Mentos, the Monk Maker

"Speak little. Make tokens."

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm pretty sure KCW still works for them and that's probably all him.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah he does. I know he does at least some of the public-facing web stuff, and those seem like his sense of humor.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
So that's what's distracting him from writing more set reviews. We're nearly done!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

GoutPatrol posted:

I want to play GW Butts so bad right now. Maybe Azban for Rhino and Disowned Ancestor.

I think GU Butts is the best two color configuration. Wall of Frost, Dragon's Eye Savants, Monastery Flock, and Triton's Tactics are too juicy to pass up. And you get Anticipate to find the enchantment that lets you, you know, do something.

Splashing white for Trailblazer and Nyx-Fleece Ram (and removal) may also be a perfectly acceptable plan.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Bro, I don't know to tell you this, but... this set isn't fun. So your butts deck is unfortunately doomed to unfunness. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Boxman posted:

I think GU Butts is the best two color configuration. Wall of Frost, Dragon's Eye Savants, Monastery Flock, and Triton's Tactics are too juicy to pass up. And you get Anticipate to find the enchantment that lets you, you know, do something.

Splashing white for Trailblazer and Nyx-Fleece Ram (and removal) may also be a perfectly acceptable plan.

Why not go 3 colour and go Bant Butts?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

I do work for them, and I write newsletter stuff every three weeks, but all those jokes y'all are giving me credit for are Justin Treadway (a good friend of mine and the funniest person I know)

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Samael posted:

If butts are the thing, is there a place for Phenax ? Or is it only fighting that we intend to do with butts? MurderButts per chance?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sultai Butt Control, primary wincon is beating them with walls.

Secondary is milling them out with Phenax effect. :getin:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

End of Life Guy posted:

If butts are the thing, is there a place for Phenax ?
Saw a guy running sultai control with Phenax and Colossus of Akros last week at FNM, he took second place. It was kind of amazing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

If butts are the thing, is there a place for Phenax?

The bulk bin

E: it could go great in your standard EDH, I guess

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 11, 2015

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

End of Life Guy posted:

If butts are the thing, is there a place for Phenax ? Or is it only fighting that we intend to do with butts? MurderButts per chance?

This was my first thought as well. Hooray for OG Sultai!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It has a way for me to kill Siege Rhino for cheap and some creatures I'm excited about so as far as I'm concerned it's A Good Set.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
vintage thunderdome feature match rd 1: http://twitch.tv/gangsines

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

gang sines posted:

I thought you guys used a client that's better than cockatrice?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Also why are y'all going up against the VSL?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

gang sines posted:

Mana Leak, the vintage powerhouse

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Terrible Horse posted:

I thought you guys used a client that's better than cockatrice?

locke17 has issues with xmage working on his end so I agreed to use cockatrice. It was a piece of crap. I also made enough mistakes to ensure I lost many times over. Good times!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Samael posted:

BANTS BUTTS is gonna be a deck goddammit. I will keep working on this until it happens.

4 Jeskai Barricade
4 Assault Formation
4 Anticipate
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 New Wall of Fauxmens
4 Triton Tactics
3 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Banishing Light
3 Monastery Flock
3 Valorous Stance
1 Hornet Nest

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 11, 2015

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Went to first standard with a Sultai Control deck I posted earlier. Ended up 0-2-1. I have a terrible habit of drawing a card before remembering to dig through time on the enemy turn.

First round fought a guy who got a deck from the tournament organizer and lost one, won one, ran out of time. Had an ugin in my hand and mana to play him and wanted to play an Ugin, and has mana for negate ready to protect his casting, but didn't have enough turns to play the two lands, so I played him anyway and he got negated.

Second match played against a RW aggro thing with rabblemasters and got burnt down too quickly to do much. Sideboarded in some Rakshasas and Tasigur, but never drew them.

Final match lost the first and third, won the second. RWB with negates to be annoying and stormbreath dragon murdered my face. The game I won I got a Tasigur out and eventually defended myself enough to pop out Ugin and win.

I saw a lot of Sylvan Caryatid and it seems like a great card, but tricky to put into Sultai Control with the crux of fates perhaps? I really like the superfriends aspect but is UB Control more stable with the dissolves? I like the idea of a control deck and definitely misplayed several times where this deck would have performed better. I'm also missing 4 temples of malady and replaced them with Jungle Hollow which may have been terrible?

Fun though, except for one guy being annoyed at me for having a control deck that ended going to time. He was playing Sidisi Whip though. I think. There was a whip and Sidisi sooo.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Dohaeris posted:

I saw a lot of Sylvan Caryatid and it seems like a great card, but tricky to put into Sultai Control with the crux of fates perhaps? I really like the superfriends aspect but is UB Control more stable with the dissolves? I like the idea of a control deck and definitely misplayed several times where this deck would have performed better. I'm also missing 4 temples of malady and replaced them with Jungle Hollow which may have been terrible?

Sultai Control involves a lot of decision-making and it's very easy to make bad plays and lose. Sounds like you just need more practice with the deck. Also the Temples are way better than Jungle Hollow in the deck. Control absolutely needs the scrying power.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Gyshall posted:

When does cube come back up on MODO?

March 18 until April 1.

Related to a previous discussion, there will be Rise of the Eldrazi drafts during the same time.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

BANTS BUTTS is gonna be a deck goddammit. I will keep working on this until it happens.

4 Jeskai Barricade
4 Assault Formation
4 Anticipate
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 New Wall of Fauxmens
4 Triton Tactics
3 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Banishing Light
3 Monastery Flock
3 Valorous Stance
1 Hornet Nest

I think I would prefer to go Temur here with that new 0/6 crater elemental and 0/5 Bloodfire Mentor. But if you're running 4x Sylvan Caryatid, why not 4-color?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Because BANT BUTTS has the alliteration I crave in deck names.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I know this deck is sort of a gimmick or whatever but you do need to ask "how do I win if I never stick this enchantment"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wezlar posted:

I know this deck is sort of a gimmick or whatever but you do need to ask "how do I win if I never stick this enchantment"

All of the common wincons. Opponent eaten by a pack of wild dogs, wild alligators, wild bears. Opponent crushed by meteor. Opponent dies of sudden blood clot in lungs.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel like I'd just play Abzan midrange, stick some Dromoka and Assault formations in and then just make a bunch of stupid puns to go with the card. Well and some rams. Fleece 'em with those rear end-ault rams. But ramly, these are all okay cards by themselves.

But you should definitely be playing the new Sidisi with it. It's a touching combo.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

Because BANT BUTTS has the alliteration I crave in deck names.

TEMUR TUSH

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Gensuki posted:

TEMUR TUSH
ABZAN rear end

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Wezlar posted:

Commune with the Gods to go get it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

sarmhan posted:

ABZAN rear end

JESKAI JUNK

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You could probably make the enchantment do some work without filling your deck with garbage (for example Siege Rhino, Courser, Brimaz, Sylvan Caryatid all seem decent with it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

vOv posted:

JESKAI JUNK

MARDU MONEYMAKER

• Locked thread