Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!

Anatharon posted:

Replay levels until you unlock the Flamethrower, or careful usage of any other gun.

Yes

Probably

Who knows

None.

Wait, flamethrower? What level do I need to replay for that? How do I unlock it, do I just need a certain score, or do I need to complete it in a certain way or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

i got the flamethrower after i beat the power plant.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ataru13 posted:

Wait, flamethrower? What level do I need to replay for that? How do I unlock it, do I just need a certain score, or do I need to complete it in a certain way or what?

It might be a points reward for the power plant. I'm not sure if it's unlocked like the first game's masks or it's weapons.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I'm having some fun with the game but overall (on like scene 18 or so), I'm feeling a bit let down by this. So many of these levels feel like the only way to play them is really slowly, with lots of creeping forward with shift held down to scout for some rear end in a top hat behind a window just offscreen, and pulling shenanigans like ducking into and out of rooms to lure enemies out, and shooting guns on purpose to make noise to lure guys out. I'm not seeing a way to get in the zone and rampage through a lot of these levels like in HM1. There are so many large rooms or areas with multiple gunmen inside, and rooms with windows with gunmen behind them on the opposite side. Trying to go fast just ends up getting sniped from offscreen way, way too many times. I don't really want that kind of slow, methodical gameplay from a hotline miami game dammit.

Also not a fan of not being able to pick a mask ability for most of these levels, I really liked that about HM1.

Every now and then though it still does have its moments, I'll give it that.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Do the first mission for the writer hey wait what are you doing with that gun don't do that and oh I'm dead. It took awhile to figure out what his gimmick was.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

J posted:

I'm having some fun with the game but overall (on like scene 18 or so), I'm feeling a bit let down by this. So many of these levels feel like the only way to play them is really slowly, with lots of creeping forward with shift held down to scout for some rear end in a top hat behind a window just offscreen, and pulling shenanigans like ducking into and out of rooms to lure enemies out, and shooting guns on purpose to make noise to lure guys out. I'm not seeing a way to get in the zone and rampage through a lot of these levels like in HM1. There are so many large rooms or areas with multiple gunmen inside, and rooms with windows with gunmen behind them on the opposite side. Trying to go fast just ends up getting sniped from offscreen way, way too many times. I don't really want that kind of slow, methodical gameplay from a hotline miami game dammit.

Also not a fan of not being able to pick a mask ability for most of these levels, I really liked that about HM1.

Every now and then though it still does have its moments, I'll give it that.

It honestly looks like a cover shooter at points.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

J posted:

I'm not seeing a way to get in the zone and rampage through a lot of these levels like in HM1. There are so many large rooms or areas with multiple gunmen inside, and rooms with windows with gunmen behind them on the opposite side.

This is the main issue. The pace seems much slower because around very corner and down every hallway is some fucker you can't see, just waiting to shoot you. So you inch your way through the level with the shift key held down. And then a dog sneaks up on you and eats you. gently caress you dog.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Are people forgetting that like half of HM1's stages were the same way? Not like that's a compliment, but after a certain point it was all about using gunfire to herd the swarms of shotgun-toting assholes into a chokepoint and mowing them all down.

The main issue with this one is that it starts that pattern so much sooner and doesn't give you as many toys to play with.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

NickRoweFillea posted:

this music is extremely good

A lot of it is too dark for me compared to the first game. Not too sure if that's the right word, but a lot of it feels more spooky or ominous then the first game.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

A lot of it is too dark for me compared to the first game. Not too sure if that's the right word, but a lot of it feels more spooky or ominous then the first game.

That's one thing I really liked about 2, actually. Everything seems darker, grimier, more depressing. I guess it just fits, in my mind, after all this is the second part of a story of really horrific violence for often incomprehensible reasons.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Alex and Ash are a lot of fun when you get in the swing of things (and when the level design isn't loving you, seriously Dennaton what were you thinking for half of these?)

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Moartoast posted:

Man I am super willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt on a lot of things that haven't clicked for me but these not-'Nam Soldier levels are genuinely badly designed

Holy poo poo, Scene 15 was infuriating. Open the door, guy immediately charges you with a knife, there's two windows on either side of you with a mix of machine guns and knives and one fat guy. Wouldn't be so bad, but once you go through the doors you can't come back out. You also can't pop out and duck back into cover because fatty runs after you and they take way too long to die.

Also, getting real tired of getting shot from off screen.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I beat it and it was cool as hell and the only things that were bad were the change to the shift-look thing because that's really dumb and also the second(?) hawaii stage, there was a part where you basically have to wait and deal with the patrolling guys walking around the stage and it was the one point in the game where I died the most but now I know where the ammo is so if I replay it it'll probably be easier.

Also the two dudes who run around together are fun as hell you people are crazy

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Alex and Ash are entirely why I hoped you'd be able to play any level with anyone at some point, they're a loving blast and let you go totally apeshit on the levels in ways that I can't get with other characters. It's a shame how underused they are.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Chainsaw and Gun is loving awesome. I love it.

What I don't love is not getting to pick a mask for a lot of levels. That was like, the entire point of HLM.

Also, as someone not really into electronic music at all, I'm kind of disappointed in this soundtrack. There so far hasn't been a song I'd listen to for fun outside of the game, where as HLM has several on my iPod for listening.

I'm also feeling like a lot of the levels in HLM2 punish you for going balls out fists-of-fury style and go on a rampage. Lots of creeping around and planning carefully.

Overall I still am having a lot of fun with HLM2 but (dare I say it) I think HLM was a much better game (and soundtrack).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well I finished it. Didn't care for the majority of the game, honestly, even the music didn't quite do it for me, though it might require a few more listens. I will say though that I thought the final level was pretty cool. A lot better than the awful boss fight at the end of 1.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roberto_Silencio posted:

Holy poo poo, Scene 15 was infuriating. Open the door, guy immediately charges you with a knife, there's two windows on either side of you with a mix of machine guns and knives and one fat guy. Wouldn't be so bad, but once you go through the doors you can't come back out. You also can't pop out and duck back into cover because fatty runs after you and they take way too long to die.

Also, getting real tired of getting shot from off screen.

Scene 15 is where I'm stopping tonight. Way too many guys shooting from off screen. The fat guy in the beginning takes 50% of my bullets and of course I can't just pick up another gun. gently caress this.

edit = just had to play cheap with the shift look and a shotgun

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 11, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm hella disappointed. Huge, open levels with windows everywhere so you get shot at from 5 different angles unless you creep around like Solid Snake is not fun. Running around as an army man who apparently doesn't know how to use the dozens of guns he walks by is not fun, especially when there are enemies that can only be killed with guns and his levels have big open areas and long hallways. At least Biker's levels were easy enough to complete, even if he had the gamey "I can't/won't use guns in my mission to murder hundreds of people" bit going, and the Jacket levels had masks that let you mitigate the annoying parts.

Overall this game seems like it was designed to gently caress with speedrunners or something, like a lovely Mega Man romhack with pixel-perfect jumps and vanishing blocks on every screen; not because that's what made Mega Man fun, but because that makes things "hardcore." I haven't reached the end, I won't be surprised if this game's going for "this game sucks but you kept playing to the end because you enjoyed the first one even though you were Hurting Other People you bad person" or some other pretentious garbage about cartoon video games. Or maybe it's simply a bad game and he got lucky with the first one.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Are people forgetting that like half of HM1's stages were the same way? Not like that's a compliment, but after a certain point it was all about using gunfire to herd the swarms of shotgun-toting assholes into a chokepoint and mowing them all down.

The main issue with this one is that it starts that pattern so much sooner and doesn't give you as many toys to play with.

No, none of Hotline Miami's stages required you to slowly creep forward. Every stage was doable without stopping. I've spent a lot less time on normal then on hard but hard I can say is really badly designed. Some levels, like Dead Ahead, not only require perfect play but also luck. Like there's a lot of other bad levels but I honestly don't think any of the non-Soldier levels can match the terrible, terrible mess that is Dead Ahead.

Shine posted:

I'm hella disappointed. Huge, open levels with windows everywhere so you get shot at from 5 different angles unless you creep around like Solid Snake is not fun. Running around as an army man who apparently doesn't know how to use the dozens of guns he walks by is not fun, especially when there are enemies that can only be killed with guns and his levels have big open areas and long hallways. At least Biker's levels were easy enough to complete, even if he had the gamey "I can't/won't use guns in my mission to murder hundreds of people" bit going, and the Jacket levels had masks that let you mitigate the annoying parts.

Overall this game seems like it was designed to gently caress with speedrunners or something, like a lovely Mega Man romhack with pixel-perfect jumps and vanishing blocks on every screen; not because that's what made Mega Man fun, but because that makes things "harder." I haven't reached the end, I won't be surprised if this game's going for "this game sucks but you kept playing to the end because you enjoyed the first one even though you were Hurting Other People you bad person" or some other pretentious garbage about cartoon video games. Or maybe it's simply a bad game and he got lucky with the first one.

The thing is Cactus has made a lot of games. Many of them are quite good. I'd be really interested in hearing what the dev's response to the lukewarm reception is.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
maybe I'm hosed up but extending your combo by breaking guns as the writer felt extremely badass

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Whats different on hard mode

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

That's one thing I really liked about 2, actually. Everything seems darker, grimier, more depressing. I guess it just fits, in my mind, after all this is the second part of a story of really horrific violence for often incomprehensible reasons.

The loving music for the short sewer level sounds like something off of Trent Reznor's score for Quake, and I kind of love that. The score's still super solid IMO, it's just aiming for a different vibe, something of a comedown from the (relative) glamour of the original, a little smokier and a little grittier. Makes even more thematic sense when you think about what decade the game is transitioning into (Soldier levels not withstanding), and how the story plays off the original.

The one track I haven't liked so far is the Subway track. Even that's not terrible, I just find the baseline kinda grating.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

tower of druaga posted:

Whats different on hard mode

Enemy types (Example, Down Under has an enemy that's basically Alex and Ash)

Everything is flipped

Guns lose half their ammo every time the touch the ground (Which is really really bad because there's like 8 thug enemies in every floor)

Enemies have better reactions/aim/hearing/etc

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Finished it. :smith:

Wow, it was just... really disappointing all around. It felt a lot like Dennation had too many plates spinning at once, and never quite figured out how to put them all into one game. The level design is embarrassingly lazy in places (Hawaii is the worst goddamn piece of poo poo, holy christ) and a lot of the character gimmicks feel so much more frustrating than they really should.

It's glitchy as hell, too. About 60-70% of my deaths came from getting stuck in the scenery and the door physics are hosed. During one scene, the AI pathing hosed up and everyone in a room span around on the spot. It persisted even after I restarted.

e: The Hotline Miami wiki says there's three difficulty modes, but I haven't seen anything indicating that in-game. Are they hidden away, or were they never added into the finished game? I honestly feel like I'd have more fun playing on an easy mode, with less enemy density. Too many clusterfucks in this game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Genetic Toaster posted:

the door physics are hosed.

e: The Hotline Miami wiki says there's three difficulty modes, but I haven't seen anything about that. Are they hidden away, or were they never added into the game? I honestly feel like I'd have more fun playing on an easy mode, with less enemy density. Too many clusterfucks in this game.

You'd love hard mode dead ahead, where your only cover against a ton of enemies is a door. :allears:

Hard mode unlocked after beating the game, at one point you needed C+ or better to do hard modes for levels though I have no idea if that's the case as I never got lower then that anyways (:smug:).

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Ok I'll be that goon. You guys really need to get good at the game and also stop pretending that HM1 had a cohesive story. As for the pace of the game, yeah. SOME of the levels in HARD are not meant to be rushed like you could easily do in HM1.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the hawaii levels are hot garbage no matter how you look at it

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Subway is the worst. you guys are nuts!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

turboraton posted:

Ok I'll be that goon. You guys really need to get good at the game and also stop pretending that HM1 had a cohesive story. As for the pace of the game, yeah. SOME of the levels in HARD are not meant to be rushed like you could easily do in HM1.

Without being more of "that guy" I am good at the game and no, it's pretty much fake difficulty in a lot of places.

The difference in story is that Hotline Miami was minimalistic. Hotline Miami 2 is obtuse and rushed.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Honestly I thought the Subway was one of the more HM1-ish levels. I had to replay it because I thought the outro had bugged out (It hadn't) and did it all in one smooth murder-motion.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Yeah, it's not that it's stupid hard. I finished it pretty quick. It's that when I did die, it was because of stupid bullshit like the camera not being out enough for the map, or enemies that are literally impossible to see (what up guards hiding in loving trees?) rather than my own mistakes.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Anatharon posted:

The difference in story is that Hotline Miami was minimalistic.

I mentioned that before. HM1 feels like a breeze after finishing HM2. I just dont see why worshiping the weird rear end story HM1 had while hating the weird rear end story on HM2. As for the level design, I do love the challenge of something different. You can and should replay HM1 if you want more of the same.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I uh, restarted the game after beating Hard. I don't know what you have to do exactly, or if it's just beating hard but uh...

:stare:

:siren:Maybe a spoiler I have no idea what's going on anymore. :siren:

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530635934374098769/C6CAD55E2A45A8DD227A651D02949D5CFD4A7E5D/

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530635934374106648/F6A657B58F915BAD0A724DA9BD551605C6BEF13E/

The same.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 11, 2015

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Anatharon posted:

I uh, restarted the game after beating Hard. I don't know what you have to do exactly, or if it's just beating hard but uh...

:stare:

:siren:Maybe a spoiler I have no idea what's going on anymore. :siren:

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530635934374098769/C6CAD55E2A45A8DD227A651D02949D5CFD4A7E5D/

I got that just hitting new game accidentally after finishing it once. Weird poo poo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The couple of spots where you have to go through an entrance door into a room full of dudes but you aren't allowed to go back out again are the biggest pieces of horseshit design I've seen in a long-rear end time.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Also I got the "big picture" achievement, it's just forreading all 10 news articles.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Subway is the worst. you guys are nuts!

I liked Subway a lot :unsmith:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Anyone know how to unlock the abyss?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Anyone know how to unlock the abyss?

Curious about this and the Bar of Broken Heroes or whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The best levels in the game were the ones they designed for exclusive no gun usage (reporter, tony). The gun levels pretty much force you to a slow crawl or excessive gunfire baiting.

• Locked thread