Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
But how safe are elevators compared to the tube system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
When you say tube, do you mean what Englanders call subways, or a pneumatic tube system?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Volcott posted:

When you say tube, do you mean what Englanders call subways, or a pneumatic tube system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co2Zt615P5M&t=161s

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Trains seem to be very safe unless they're carrying oil.

dablakh0l
Sep 3, 2002

It looks like that elevator isn't in free fall, but rather in uncontrolled ascent.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

dablakh0l posted:

It looks like that elevator isn't in free fall, but rather in uncontrolled ascent.

That'll happen when the breaks go but the counterweight is still attached, right?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

it seems to make half-hearted attempts to stop at each floor

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's back!
http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-action-park-looping-water-slide-20150305-story.html

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It uses a sled. That's cheating.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Class Action Park will never die.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 9, 2015

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Turns out you can make a "looping" water slide if you take out all the things that make it a water slide to begin with

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Action Park was discussed in the last version of this thread, but really needs to be mentioned again.

quote:

In the mid-1980s GAR built an enclosed water slide, not unusual for that time, and indeed the park already had several. But for this one they decided to build, at the end, a complete vertical loop of the kind more commonly associated with roller coasters.[27] Employees have reported they were offered hundred-dollar bills to test it. Tom Fergus, who described himself as "one of the idiots" who took the offer, said "$100 did not buy enough booze to drown out that memory."[23]

It was opened for one month in summer 1985 before it was closed at the order of the state's Advisory Board on Carnival Amusement Ride Safety, a highly unusual move at the time.[3] One worker told a local newspaper that "there were too many bloody noses and back injuries" from riders, and it was widely rumored, and reported in Weird NJ, that some of the test dummies sent down before it opened had been dismembered.[3] A rider also reportedly got stuck at the top of the loop due to insufficient water pressure, and a hatch had to be built at the bottom of the slope to allow for future extractions.[3]

The ride supposedly reopened a few more times over the years. In the summers of 1995 and 1996 it opened for several days before a few more injuries forced another shutdown.

Those who rode it have said that more safety measures were taken than was otherwise common at the park. Riders were weighed and hosed down with cold water, required to remove jewelry, and then carefully instructed in how they had to position their bodies to complete the ride.[28]

For the remainder of the park's existence, it remained visible near the entrance of Waterworld. It was dismantled shortly after the park closed and has never been rebuilt.

In 2014, video footage was unearthed and published online that appears to show riders going down the Cannonball Loop.[29]

I hesitate to post quotes for fear of discouraging people from reading the Wikipedia article in full, but have a few choice bits

quote:

LOLA cars: These were miniature open-cockpit race cars on a longer track. Extra money was charged to drive them, and they, too, could be adjusted for speed by knowledgeable park employees, with similarly harmful consequences to riders.[3] Fergus said that, after the park management briefly set up a microbrewery nearby, employees looking for after-hours fun would break into it, steal the beer, and then ride the cars on Route 94.[23]

quote:

Super Speedboats: These were set up in a small pond, known by staff to be heavily infested with snakes.

quote:

Super Go Karts: The karts were meant to be driven around a small loop track at a speed of about 20 mph (32 km/h) set by the governor devices on them. However, park employees knew how to circumvent the governors by wedging tennis balls into them, and they were known to do so for parkgoers. As a result, an otherwise standard small-engine car ride became a chance to play bumper cars at 50 mph (80 km/h), and many injuries resulted from head-on collisions.[3] Also, the engines were poorly maintained, and some riders were overcome by gasoline fumes as they drove.

quote:

Diving cliffs: The area around Roaring Rapids was (and still is) laid out like a kind of grotto, with many lower-intensity attractions. One was a pair of diving cliffs—one 23 feet (7 m), the other 18 feet (5.4 m)—above a 16-foot (5 m) deep pool. However, the pool below was not blocked off from those who might be swimming in or away from other attractions, and nothing at water level gave any indication to swimmers below that they could expect people to dive in right next to them - or right on top of them. The sole lifeguard on duty often had his or her hands full dealing with the results of those collisions.[21] Also, nonswimmers would jump off the cliffs, not fully appreciating how deep the water below was, and have to be rescued. Former employee Tom Fergus says the bottom of the pool was eventually painted white to make it easier to spot any bodies on the bottom. The large pool into which people jumped is no longer used for regular swimming, only to deposit used tubes.[23] Still operating, known as Canyon Cliffs.

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Looks like you're in the barrel today.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the action park wikipedia article is fantastic because it was entirely plagiarized from weird nj as written by chris gethard

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That Wikipedia article is what got me interested in Action Park. I think I've read every piece of online history that has to do with it, because I just find it so fascinating. Unfortunately I never got to go, as I was a child when it closed and wasn't even born at the height of its antics.

....which is why I'm going this summer.

Edit: For anyone who wants a ton of Action Park stories (and a blast of 90s nostalgia), The Center of the Action is a blog run by a number of former employees dedicated to the park.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 10, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

chitoryu12 posted:

That Wikipedia article is what got me interested in Action Park. I think I've read every piece of online history that has to do with it, because I just find it so fascinating. Unfortunately I never got to go, as I was a child when it closed and wasn't even born at the height of its antics.

....which is why I'm going this summer.

I went once while it was still around in it's original form. Only went on one of the water rides, but the Alpine Slide was awesome. I did see a few people with friction burns from that one.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Steve Buscemi?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

those are safety quotes

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

There's even a precedent for this one.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-released-hospital-drinking-chemical-laced-iced-tea-article-1.1915195

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

those are safety quotes

"powdered sugar" for "valued" customers

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I love how it's being tested here in Missouri first. The Midwest: Home Of The People We Don't Care About If They Die

E: Also, The Midwest: Home Of The People Who Are Dumb Enough To Kill Themselves For An Amusement Park That Kills People

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 11, 2015

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Watched an episode of Autopsy on Amazon Prime last night.

An electrician died of "thaline" (I think) poisoning after working on the renovation of a college laboratory. Thaline is found stored in the space. Other workers get tested cause they think they are going to die too. None of the other workers test positive. The electrician's family is tested because he had to get it from somewhere. Family tests totally negative. It's a mystery where he got it... but wife sues the college because for 20 million because this poison was stored in the area of renovation. College says this is bullshit... 3 years of legal stuff happens. To keep from paying his wife 20 mil they get the body dug up and retested. They test his hair and can almost determine down to the day when he received the poison.

His wife was feeding him rat poison to get the $300,000. They determined the fatal dose accorded AFTER he was already in the hospital, so no way was it the colleges fault.

So the wife would have gotten away with it, A). if the opportunity for another 20 mil hadn't fallen in her lap with them finding thaline in the lab, and B). if she would have had the body cremated.

This adds nothing to this thread... I was just bored and that picture made me think of what I watched last night.

EDIT: Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Kz1YnvXVo

and the chemical is Thallium.

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 11, 2015

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

You are unworthy: the bar he is holding along the top of the intake stops the grinding. It is designed specifically to let you put your foot in it.

like your mouth/posts/mom

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Reminds me of the bar you use to get better velocity at the top of a waterslide

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Bhodi posted:

Reminds me of the bar you use to get better velocity at the top of a waterslide

Just remember to cross your legs or you well get a surprise enema.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DiHK posted:

You are unworthy: the bar he is holding along the top of the intake stops the grinding. It is designed specifically to let you put your foot in it.

I have failed.
I'll show myself out.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

So the wife would have gotten away with it, A). if the opportunity for another 20 mil hadn't fallen in her lap with them finding thaline in the lab, and B). if she would have had the body cremated.

Burn the bodies, got it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

A little lye in coffee never hurt anyone!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah sure you can borrow the chainsaw, go grab it out of the tree.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man, I don't know if I'm cool with this modern, extreme reboot of the Völsunga Saga. Odin sticking a chainsaw into Barnstokkr just isn't as romantic.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Hey, it's a gif that doesn't crash Chrome!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I loving love this photo. It's telling a whole story, isn't it. Like that famous (possibly apocryphal) bet someone supposedly once made to Hemmingway, that he couldn't tell a whole story in six words, to which he allegedly responded:

Hemmingway possibly posted:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn

You just have to look at that chainsaw and let your imagination fill in the story.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Minrad posted:

Hey, it's a gif that doesn't crash Chrome!

Warehouse concrete is like ice. That slip he had made me clench.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

flosofl posted:

Warehouse concrete is like ice. That slip he had made me clench.

Wouldn't it have been safer inside the forklift cage? Unless the shelves were full of caustic chemicals, I guess. At least you have some protection over your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DiHK posted:

I thought it was more to kill it if you get caught by a limb when feeding long pieces of wood. Killing it after it nips your toes off seems like a pyrrhic victory.

• Locked thread