Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Brony Hunter posted:

Oh hey, there's a lot of new posts here, I wonder if there's been an upd-

Oh.

:sigh:

I went through the same thing, but the current discussion is way better than the usual derails.

Still, I hope Rich is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

To be fair, MunchkinLawyer's Spergy Story Killer is pretty much the entire point of 3.5e D&D.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cool posted:

To be fair, MunchkinLawyer's Spergy Story Killer is pretty much the entire point of 3.5e D&D.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Sefer posted:

I went through the same thing, but the current discussion is way better than the usual derails.

Still, I hope Rich is ok.

I'm reminded of something that started on Something Awful: Zoofights. Each time it returned it got more and more involved, with the contributions becoming better and more elaborate, but even as that happened the makers got jobs, got married, and eventually they simply became too busy to have horribly warped animals fight each other in fancy art (as they were doing it for free in their spare time) and the whole thing just petered out and died.

Rich actually makes SOME money from OOTS, but yeah, this strikes me as the same rough thing. Between art updates, who knows what else real life responsibility, and whatever illness he might have, this is the norm now, it seems. It's been nearly a year and there's been a total of 30 comics. It's probably best to prepare for spergy indulgence and rambling to kill time for years to come. Which...

Colonel Cool posted:

Considering this, should be expected. A spergy system that someone used to tell a spergy story? It's sperg cubed. We're probably lucky we don't all start spontaneously making GBS threads hamburger meat.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 9, 2015

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Christ, I just thought an artifact tongue for liches/undead would be funny.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:siren: Rich is ok! :siren:

Wow, the gnomes really are too dumb to live.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Poil posted:

:siren: Rich is ok! :siren:

Wow, the gnomes really are too dumb to live.

Well, it looks like that won't be a problem for much longer.

A lesson in what +Int -Wis looks like in action.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Maybe the weak points of monsters that have been stitched together from the flesh of the dead are not part of the standard Gnomeland Security curriculum either.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Carrasco posted:

Maybe the weak points of monsters that have been stitched together from the flesh of the dead are not part of the standard Gnomeland Security curriculum either.
The gnome who actually knew enough not to use lightning should maybe have told the others?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I'm not the only one hearing the 6 Million Dollar Man noise there, am I?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Not anymore. God, it fits perfectly.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Poil posted:

The gnome who actually knew enough not to use lightning should maybe have told the others?

That is also +Int -Wis in action.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Gnomes are the worst.

Also Gnomes are -2 Strength +2 Con.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

At the start of the gnome plot I was really hoping Belkar was going to go on a gnome murder spree. I'll settle for Crystal though I GUESS.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hypocrisy posted:

Gnomes are the worst.

Also Gnomes are -2 Strength +2 Con.

It depends on the subrace. These seem like Krynn Tinker Gnomes to me. +2 Intelligence, +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom, -2 Strength.

Okay, so I'm reaching.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Okay, I got a giggle out of 'Gnomeland Security'. How is this species still surviving in a world full of D&D monsters and evil sorcerers though? Are they like the Good version of goblins, created to be extremely squishy and dumb fodder for evil adventures?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zoe posted:

Okay, I got a giggle out of 'Gnomeland Security'. How is this species still surviving in a world full of D&D monsters and evil sorcerers though? Are they like the Good version of goblins, created to be extremely squishy and dumb fodder for evil adventures?

well, they have their own island, so they aren't easily accessed. These are also NPCs. I would assume actual PC adventurers would be a little more capable.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
They seem just as competent as the cppd.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cat Mattress posted:

Once you go that road, you can as well make a spell to make you feel the taste of coffee 24/7.

I don't want to start this derail again but OMG this would be amazing and I would totally research it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Zoe posted:

Maybe you missed the part where their no-name, faceless NPC guards have a goddamn lightning cannon at their disposal?

I mean, provided you're not facing an army of evil plot golems, that's probably going to dissuade your average cut-purse or tin-pot dictator.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lightning cannon is probably pretty good against most things.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Angela Christine posted:

What if that jerk druid with all the resist elements spells shows up with his bloody trees?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I got that too.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Taciturn Tactician posted:

What if that jerk druid with all the resist elements spells shows up with his bloody trees?

Harpoon him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Angela Christine posted:

For someone without a working knowledge of the Monster Manual, what does lightning do to a golem? I just remember most spells not working on them at all in Baldur's Gate.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Phenotype posted:

For someone without a working knowledge of the Monster Manual, what does lightning do to a golem? I just remember most spells not working on them at all in Baldur's Gate.

Speeds up flesh golems just like you see in the strip.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Overcharge the lightning cannon so that the sonic boom shatters the trees. Duh.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Phenotype posted:

It energizes them. Lightning + golem of stitched together corpse bits = hyper flesh golem.

It's a Frankenstein reference.

It's okay, it took me a bit to put together in my mind, too. Like, who even uses flesh golems, anyway? Stone and steel are way better, and clay is easier.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Cthulhuchan posted:

Like, who even uses flesh golems, anyway? Stone and steel are way better, and clay is easier.

I have a Witch PC in a Pathfinder game constructing one out of the body parts (using gentle repose on them of course) of notable foes we've dismembered. While the Golem is not mechanically ideal, it has been fun telling NPCs about it and then implying they have a limb that would make a great addition.

So I guess that's one use for them.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

I'm using "Gnomeland Security" in my next D&D game. Sorry, players.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
:siren:978 - Rage Against the Lightning of the Dead:siren:

e X fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 19, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

Not Found

The requested URL /comics/oots0978 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at www.giantitp.com Port 80

:(

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

He just screwed up the URL. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0978.html

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, yeah, I missed the .html, it's fixed it now.

e X fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 19, 2015

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Well that's kind of dark.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
And it's your own drat fault, Crystal. You brought this on yourself, and as you lack the capacity to see that, living or semi-dead, your best option is for Haley to make you really most sincerely dead.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't think we're meant to sympathize with Crystal's viewpoint in this. It's a nice touch that Bandana and Haley went all-out to save the gnomes.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm just relieved that the comparatively sensible gnome survived, even if the one with the loudspeaker is probably just a stain on Crystal's boot now.

Anyway, I feel Crystal is at least a slightly tragic villain now. Her one-dimensionality means it's hard to take too seriously, but having her consciousness forcibly reinserted into a stitched-together version of her corpse, minus her free will, plus apparently being in constant pain--that would be a really disturbing fate to anyone who was remotely sympathetic.

But regardless of how we felt about her, Haley felt twinges of guilt about killing her in cold blood--if only in the sense that she thought Elan would judge her for it. So she's going to be pissed at Bozzok for putting Crystal through this (not to mention squandering the resources that could have been used to resurrect all the low-level thieves she killed). In short, that long-overdue plotline is about to be cut off for good.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Dolash posted:

I don't think we're meant to sympathize with Crystal's viewpoint in this. It's a nice touch that Bandana and Haley went all-out to save the gnomes.

Seeing that made me sympathize with Crystal a lot more.

Man I hate gnomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Near epic level characters have a whole mess of HP, huh?