Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BWV
Feb 24, 2005

plus he knew The Secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

His reputation as an all-time defender is connected to Wilt Chamberlain's abilities as an offensive superphenomenon what with Wilt always saying he was the best player he ever matched against and how Russell was the only dude who could ever defend him.
He pretty much was. Russell's just lucky he spent his whole career on the Celtics because he could put most of his energy into defense. Even by the era's standards he wasn't much of an offensive threat.

EDIT: haha holy poo poo he had a season with 16.0 defensive win shares. That's obscene.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

And won titles

And was constantly surly because he was being called 53 different variations of "friend of the family" each day in Boston.

As an aside, it's amazing how far Sports Science has come since the 1960's. Remember kids: there was a time where lifting weights was literally the worst thing you could do as a basketball player because it would somehow destroy all of your finesse moves and leave you an uncontrollable rambling hulk.
There was a time where people thought being tall was bad for basketball.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
They didn't keep block statistics back then but there are some Chamberlain-esque stories of people not being allowed to shoot near Russell.

edit here's some myth with some video, lots of defending Chamberlain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWFsL4Y8RVA

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 11, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

There was a time where people thought being tall was bad for basketball.
Those people were Charles Smith at the end of that playoff game against the Bulls.

EvanTH posted:

They didn't keep block statistics back then but there are some Chamberlain-esque stories of people not being allowed to shoot near Russell.
If you'll believe old sportswriters, either of the two could catch shots out of midair one-handed. Weak-rear end floaters were a staple of 50's and early 60's basketball.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Simmons gets thirsty

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There's weird backlash against Russell because Simmons overrated him in his book, but Russell really is an all time great and was a dominating force in his era along with Wilt. He's not the super human legend Wilt was, but he was unique in his era because of how he played defense, and for that time his offensive game was fine. If they tracked offensive rebounds and blocks his stats would be eye popping.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If only for a day, my Pels are in eighth place in the West late in the season. :unsmith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

There's weird backlash against Russell because Simmons overrated him in his book, but Russell really is an all time great and was a dominating force in his era along with Wilt. He's not the super human legend Wilt was, but he was unique in his era because of how he played defense, and for that time his offensive game was fine. If they tracked offensive rebounds and blocks his stats would be eye popping.
It's interesting how different the NBA could look if not for random opportunity.

Russell was actually supposed to spend his career with the St. Louis Hawks after he'd just been taken with the #1 pick in the draft, but Celtics' Hall of Famer Ed McCauley wanted to go home to St. Louis to care for a disabled and sick child of his. So, the Celtics owner decided to go ahead with a trade proposal that Red Auerbach had passed along but he had thought was insane: Russell for McCauley and rookie Cliff Hagan, who themselves were Hall of Fame players.

A Hall of Fame player in his 20's for the #1 pick in the draft and a rookie who was a legend at Kentucky. If something like that happened today ESPN and Twitter would loving melt.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 11, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

If only for a day, my Pels are in eighth place in the West late in the season. :unsmith:

no they are not

e:

Metapod fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 11, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Los Angeles Fighting Lakers are officially out of the playoff chase at the earliest point in any season since they moved to Los Angeles in 1960.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7xtV6ZMlag

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

There's no single answer for what type of offense is the most effective thing in the NBA and we're like, four years removed from the common mantra being that a jumpshooting team couldn't ever win a title.

In the last few years it's seemed like the best 3P shooting team has had the edge. Which further strengthens the likelihood of a Hawks/Warriors finals (easily the two best 3P teams this year).

Rick posted:

And if you have Jordan and Pippen and can score 109 a game mostly from 2, it doesn't matter if you don't shoot many threes.

Some of those championship Bulls teams were highly ranked in 3P shooting. I'd be worried about transplanting any of those 90s teams (especially early 90s champions) to today because Curry and other elite 3P shooters now are more productive themselves than every entire team was back then.

EvanTH posted:

Are you guys writing the Clippers off? At this point if reports of Tony Parker's death were premature and Blake is back and in shape for the playoffs, I sorta think every team in the west except Portland and Houston* have a reasonable shot.

HCA is very important in the playoffs and if they stay at the five seed they'd have to go through a really tough road.

Jordan, Redick and CP3 have been a good shooting trio (despite Jordan shooting 40% from the line). 130/324 FT shooting is terrible and they've lost six games that can be tied directly to him missing FTs. They win those six they'd be the current 2 seed. It's just like Wilt putting up abysmal FT lines in all those playoff games against the Celtics where: Wilt missed FT total > Celtics MOV.

dokmo posted:

You're right. He barely edged out Manute Bol that season, the fifth lowest vote share of a winner over the last thirty seasons. He really stands out as the only player who not only played for lovely defenses, but got DPOY recognition twice.

Cool chart. It's funny how you can remove most vowels and letters from a name and still recognize it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

no they are not

e:

My bad. I thought the win would put them in a tie with the Pels holding the tiebreaker.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Like Deandre Jordan if Jordan smoked and didn't exercise.
I have it on good authority that DJ smokes quite a lot

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Who would be a good current day NBA comparison to Larry Bird, maybe fudging midrange stuff to three point range if necessary?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Igor Strelkov posted:

Who would be a good current day NBA comparison to Larry Bird, maybe fudging midrange stuff to three point range if necessary?

i'm not sure anyone has a trash talk game as good as bird in this era of basketball

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Igor Strelkov posted:

When you get to that level the best comparisons aren't going to be good. So I'll go with Durant.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

When you get to that level the best comparisons aren't going to be good. So I'll go with Durant.

I was having a hard time coming up with rebounding small forward who can make a lot of weird shots

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Igor Strelkov posted:

I was having a hard time coming up with rebounding small forward who can make a lot of weird shots

Not a 3 but Dirk has been compared to him a lot.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That draymond green response response was pretty weak tbh (almost as weak as his fake "hold me back!!!!" stare because some random dude on the clippers bench bumped him walking by, to cite that semiterrible show Jalen and Jacoby, I'm not trying to glorify violence or say he should've gotten into a fight but honestly his lil meanmugging was as toothless as KG, either do something or don't, don't even bother with Dahntay However He Spells His Name Jones), since when is parroting an oldass Internet meme cool??? Dude might as well have been like "tldr doc" or shown glen davis goatse as some cruel reprisal.
I love all the built up Clippers animosity though, it's gonna make the Western playoffs even more entertaining. Basically anyone who draws the Clips will have some preexisting blood feud beef with them

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 11, 2015

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
N: The Pelicans are now 7 games above five hundred after back to back road wins!

V: This is still not good enough for 8th in the loving west jesus christ what

If we use last year as a metric the Pelicans have to go 13-4 to make the playoffs, though maybe OKC or Dallas won't hit that absurd 49-33 8th seed record.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 11, 2015

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Two Tone Shoes posted:

N: The Pelicans are now 7 games above five hundred after back to back road wins!

If we use last year as a metric the Pelicans have to go 13-4 to make the playoffs, though maybe OKC or Dallas won't hit that absurd 49-33 8th seed record.

All it would take is a Westbrook sprained ankle to get them in. Don't give up hope. I'd like to see the Pelicans play Golden State for four games and we'll see what DPOY Anthony Davis can do.

There seems to be a consensus that Scotty Brooks won't get fired for a first round loss, what about not making the playoffs?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Igor Strelkov posted:

All it would take is a Westbrook sprained ankle to get them in. Don't give up hope. I'd like to see the Pelicans play Golden State for four games and we'll see what DPOY Anthony Davis can do.

There seems to be a consensus that Scotty Brooks won't get fired for a first round loss, what about not making the playoffs?

Again, injury excuse. As much as Westbrook has been playing insane, he will still have the handicap that the former MVP barely played this year and the roster is very thin without him and Westbrook together.

Now if he missed the Eastern playoffs with the same roster, he would be fired no doubt because holy poo poo, the bar for the 8th seed gets lower every day.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

In 2008 the Golden State didn't make the playoffs despite getting 48 wins, and they were eliminated a few days before that and didn't really try in their last 2 games IIRC. Otherwise they could've been a 50 win team that went home. In the East, the Hawks made the playoffs with 37 wins and the Cavaliers got a series at home with 45 wins. Progress.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The funny thing is, the last time a positive record was the 8th seed in the East was 2011 and that team was the 76ers. If you ignore that it was a shortened season, the last time was....

2004 with the Nets

Woof

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it's because the only players who had jumpers as pure and beautiful as Steph's have been Ray Allen and Reggie Miller, and they're super hateable. Clearly his sweet stroke is activating some repressed emotions.
Steph's jumper is super quick and awesome but Klay clearly has superior form.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

The funny thing is, the last time a positive record was the 8th seed in the East was 2011 and that team was the 76ers. If you ignore that it was a shortened season, the last time was....

2004 with the Nets

Woof

This inspired me to go through those old playoffs. So many teams I'd totally forgotten. The 05 Nets with "everyone is disappointed in my failure to reach my potential" Vince Carter. The '06 Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut Bucks. Andres Nocioni leading the baby bulls in scoring or rebounding. Bonzi Wells being awesome for the Sacramento Kings. Tim Thomas showing up for the Suns.

That leads me to another inane question I wanted to ask, what was the deal with Tim Thomas?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 11, 2015

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TheFallenEvincar posted:

(almost as weak as his fake "hold me back!!!!" stare because some random dude on the clippers bench bumped him walking by, to cite that semiterrible show Jalen and Jacoby, I'm not trying to glorify violence or say he should've gotten into a fight but honestly his lil meanmugging was as toothless as KG, either do something or don't, don't even bother with Dahntay However He Spells His Name Jones)

Honestly from what I've seen I don't think he was mean mugging at all, he reacted to being walked into by looking around to see who it was, briefly had a perplexed look on his face, then just went on with his life.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Honestly from what I've seen I don't think he was mean mugging at all, he reacted to being walked into by looking around to see who it was, briefly had a perplexed look on his face, then just went on with his life.
Yeah, I could see that, maybe he's just showing off his form a loving wall spirit for that SVG contract after the Warriors come up short somewhere in the postseason western massacre. :getin:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

In 2008 the Golden State didn't make the playoffs despite getting 48 wins, and they were eliminated a few days before that and didn't really try in their last 2 games IIRC. Otherwise they could've been a 50 win team that went home. In the East, the Hawks made the playoffs with 37 wins and the Cavaliers got a series at home with 45 wins. Progress.

And GSW got eliminated because Baron Davis played that game (against Phoenix) obviously hung over. Not that I'm still bitter or anything.

I wonder what he would have become if he'd cared more and actually took care of himself.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Igor Strelkov posted:

i know you want it to happen but allowing westbrook and durant to go ISO all the time looks like fine coaching to the world at large and he is not going to get fired until he's taken his Durant-free Thunder to a 3-17 start. He has too many excuses this year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Igor Strelkov posted:

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Yeah, Durant is the next evolutionary step. Bird was a more physical defender (though Durant's defense is underrated), and the game was different so Bird played different roles for that time, but it's a pretty solid comparison. Durant is essentially the NBA Live 95 "Create a player", which height and shooting set to max though, so in general comparisons with him are with a caveat.

I don't like the Dirk/Bird comparison because Bird handled the ball on the perimeter way more, and defensively they are night and day. If you require a white player to compare Bird to, Gordon Hayward isn't a bad "poor man's version". He does a bunch of stuff, threat to shoot, uses his size well. Again, defensive difference and all that, and Bird was a better shooter on the move, but keeping races aligned it sorta works.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I'd take Kevin Love (I guess not this year) as the best current Bird comparison. Fancy passing is integral.

Cavs last night had 127 points: 45 off 3s, 54 in the paint, 24 from free throws. Darryl Morey has been locked in the bathroom with the box score all morning.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I got a half chub just reading that sentence.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400579240

poo poo, just 3 Mozgov points away from having all starters score 20+. What a game.

Igor Strelkov posted:

That leads me to another inane question I wanted to ask, what was the deal with Tim Thomas?

There's a few paragraphs here and there for him in Seven Seconds or Less. I don't think it's anything really weird -- was supposed to be really talented, rattled off enough really good games to get big contracts but never really panned out.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 11, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Yeah, Durant is the next evolutionary step. Bird was a more physical defender (though Durant's defense is underrated), and the game was different so Bird played different roles for that time, but it's a pretty solid comparison. Durant is essentially the NBA Live 95 "Create a player", which height and shooting set to max though, so in general comparisons with him are with a caveat.

I don't like the Dirk/Bird comparison because Bird handled the ball on the perimeter way more, and defensively they are night and day. If you require a white player to compare Bird to, Gordon Hayward isn't a bad "poor man's version". He does a bunch of stuff, threat to shoot, uses his size well. Again, defensive difference and all that, and Bird was a better shooter on the move, but keeping races aligned it sorta works.

Larry Bird was pretty meh on defense aside from rebounding and they almost always hid him on the the other teams worst player

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

Larry Bird was pretty meh on defense aside from rebounding and they almost always hid him on the the other teams worst player

He made 3 all-defensive teams, which yeah Kobe made them too after he should have, but Bird was pretty solid. He was great at wrecking passing lanes for a guy who was frequently at the 4. He didn't usually play the other team's worst player, he usually let McHale handle the faster guys (since he wasn't quick, even for his size).

He took plays off, but keep in mind during the 80s and early 90s "trying on defense only half the time" was pretty normal and every player did that. I think a lot of people remember Bird at the tail end of his career where his back was completely wrecked, but during his time he was much better than a "meh" defender.

I know highlight tapes can show anything, but here's 10 minutes of defensive highlights. Bird was awesome at anticipating when to come over a double team, his hands were great for a guy his size, and he made up for his lack of quickness with his size and his anticipation of where the play would go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H76dsMqo3s

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Isn't Lebron without his defense/speed the best comparison to Larry Bird ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

pylb posted:

Isn't Lebron without his defense/speed the best comparison to Larry Bird ?

Lebron is totally unlike any other player to such a high degree you really can't compare his game as a whole. Lebron's Speed and Strength are two hugely differentiating factors from Bird and make up what Lebron is. Bird wasn't nearly as good at taking contact inside, and no other player was as dangerous from the triple-threat position as Lebron, except MAYBE MJ (MJ was better in other places on the floor, but Lebron's passing makes him so deadly from the top of the key).

Lebron's "weakness" is generally mid-range shooter and he's been sorta inconsistent from 3 across his career (though WAY better in the last 4 years), so that's another difference from Bird.

• Locked thread