Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Isn't it simply semantic bullshit?

One side of the argument says "the boats keep getting turned back, so therefore the boats have stopped (arriving)". The other side says "people are still endangering their lives by setting off in boats, therefore the bats have not stopped (leaving)".

You're not going to have a good faith discussion unless you agree on what the discussion is (typical politics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Yeah alright fair point guys but hoomans posts responding to him are still really good so I don't give a gently caress if you think he's encouraging a troll or whatever

Yeah it's fine to respond to a troll with fair minded discussion, it's good for any lurkers reading the thread who may not have a great understanding of the issues at hand.

Just don't explode in apoplectic rage with howls of kill you arse self. That's when you become a dumb bad child that fell for the troll.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

SynthOrange posted:

What i want to hear is if you honestly believe that Australia has been treating refugees with their safety and health in mind as you stated earlier, and if you still do after reading any of the above links. There are so many because the abuses are all over the Pacific Solution.
Where did I state that earlier?

Generally it would seem that basic needs are being met, but there are definitely things that have happened that should never occur.

(I haven't read all your links yet)

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

hooman posted:

Bandaids aren't solutions.
What's your solution?

Or is encouraging nations with citizens who are getting a bit bolshie to just export them so you get to feel better the grand extent of it?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

hooman posted:

literally piracy: No, it's a bad thing because it's literally an invasion of Indonesian sovereign territory. Piracy is what we do once it's outside Indonesian territory.
If they're navy vessels under a state flag, and the commander hasn't gone rogue, it's not piracy.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Graic Gabtar posted:

What's your solution?

Or is encouraging nations with citizens who are getting a bit bolshie to just export them so you get to feel better the grand extent of it?

You sound a little worked up about this, maybe you should take some time to calm down.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

yes hooman, by responding to graic after i posted saying not to you are certainly owning me a lot harder than you are owning yourself

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

What's your solution?

I'm not sure this is a deliberate strategy by foreign nations to export their citizens, is it?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
hi idiots i am about to make the definitive ratbag craig response, after which no further responses will be required

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
are you ready for it?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

"drink my piss craig"

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Entire Greyhound Racing Victoria board resigns in wake of live-baiting scandal

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/11/entire-greyhound-racing-victoria-board-resigns-in-wake-of-live-baiting-scandal

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

there, let's put a line under that one

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Senior Cabinet Minister Malcolm Turnbull says it would be a "thoroughly bad idea" to allow young people to tap into their superannuation savings to buy their first home.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-11/superannuation-turnbull-says-changing-rules-bad-idea/6303708

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Here's Firstdog. Everybody likes Firstdog right?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

The only thing better than posting is posting about posting, and that is why Jonah Galtberg is the most wonderful poster of all.

sorry i guess i'll just pop on over to facebook and threaten some people with murder on my personal account while in the employ of a political party and get lovely when i experience some degree of backlash over it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I dont care what everybody else keeps saying about fruity, she's alright by me.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Jonah Galtberg posted:

sorry i guess i'll just pop on over to facebook and threaten some people with murder on my personal account while in the employ of a political party and get lovely when i experience some degree of backlash over it

Considering that Fruity took full responsibility for her actions on this one, I'm afraid it is you who is being lovely.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Senior Cabinet Minister Malcolm Turnbull says it would be a "thoroughly bad idea" to allow young people to tap into their superannuation savings to buy their first home.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-11/superannuation-turnbull-says-changing-rules-bad-idea/6303708

How is it that our current communications minister knows more about economics than both the current prime minister AND the current treasurer?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

aww yeah this is the primo #content that i crave

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Here's Firstdog. Everybody likes Firstdog right?

bless you for trying but this is a bit much

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Endman posted:

Considering that Fruity took full responsibility for her actions on this one, I'm afraid it is you who is being lovely.

you must be remembering it differently (incorrectly)

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Ah, another graphic novel about politics by First dog.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Graic Gabtar posted:

Where did I state that earlier?

Generally it would seem that basic needs are being met, but there are definitely things that have happened that should never occur.

(I haven't read all your links yet)

Thats alright, I posted a lot of links. How did you come to the conclusion that their basic needs are being met though? I would have thought the opposite would be the case because at least in the case of just Manus Island:
1) The locals hate the place so much and the inmates were at the point where there was a riot that killed one refugee and injured 76 more.
2) The medical and hygiene standards are so poor that a simple cut turned septic and eventually killed another refugee with blood poisoning. Inmates are routinely flown to the mainland for medical treatment.
3) If things are so above board and well run, why are no independent investigators being allowed into the facility? Surely they've got nothing to hide?

I'm not asking for any answers. I just want you to consider these against your opinion of 'basic needs being met'.

Also you can stop reading here if you're not interested in my view on why its all a sham.

My opinion is that these places are massive wastes of money and lives for a political talking point. $1.2 billion in 2014 alone on Manus to house an average population of 1000 refugees in literal tents and shacks with inadequate sanitation or medical treatment. Where does the average $1 million per refugee go? Ask Transfield, good buddies with the LNP. Adding transport costs to fly Australian personnel and refugees to and from the mainland (FIFO for the staff, medical treatment for refugees occasionally) and you have a massive money pit just to make sure a politician did not break his promise, a place to stuff refugees out of sight of the public and inspectors, and massive kickbacks for contractors.

And with mainland Australia cut out from the migration zone, this doesnt even make any loving sense that we have to house them so far away other than to keep the promise of 'Stop the boats' since the outcome in terms of migration will be the same if they'd been dumped at Australian detention centers. Being on Australian soil has not stopped any refugees from being deported anyway in case of an adverse finding, and would have done it cheaper, safer and with less collateral damage to refugees while they're in our care.

And that's looking at it from just a financial and legal perspective. There's a massive human cost as well but I'll leave that for later.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 11, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
:siren:DO NOT READ THE BELOW JONAH GALTBERG, I WILL BE MAKING A POST YOU DON'T LIKE.:siren:
(I also don't think I'm owning you, it's a mixture of light ribbing and warning that you shouldn't read the post because of who I'm responding to, if you don't want it or like it, I can stop.)

Graic Gabtar posted:

What's your solution?

I included two suggestions in the post. Also, more reflections and implications about me personally.

I think a better policy approach would be to address the root causes of refugees fleeing here* and deal with those who do get here humanely. Rather than this, we're taking the more expensive option of trying to prevent them from a) ever arriving and b) imprisoning and torturing them if they do.

Feelings don't really come into it.

*global instability, no other pathways for refugees to enter Australia, Indonesia's abysmal treatment of refugees, humanitarian crises in refugee camps globally, no queue existing, etc. etc.

EDIT: In fact this is the post that has owned me.

Drugs posted:

"drink my piss craig"

hooman fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 11, 2015

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Les Affaires posted:

I dont care what everybody else keeps saying about fruity, she's alright by me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aladdin Sisalem is now a 35 year old student. He was a Kuwaiti born Palestinian who came to Australia seeking asylum. He was incarcerated on Manus Island's detention facility.

Between July 2003 and June 2004 he was the only inmate there, confined to a 20x20m space. The entire facility was still staffed. Why? Who the gently caress knows. Refugee assessments take place in about two months in European facilities. Here it took more than a year.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-14/last-detainee-on-manus-says-reopening-centre-will/4197708

quote:

The last asylum seeker held on Manus Island, Palestinian Aladdin Sisalem says re-opening a centre there will achieve nothing but the destruction of the mental health of its inmates. Eight years after leaving Manus Island, Aladdin Sisalem says he's still on medication and suffering post traumatic stress disorder and anxiety.

It's a loving awful system designed to score political points and it breaks human beings. What the gently caress is the point.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

How is it that our current communications minister knows more about economics than both the current prime minister AND the current treasurer?

Ah Hockey knows he's hosed and is just going to try whatever before he needs to put out the next budget. He and Abbott poo poo themselves into a corner with the all the goverment debt tax know that everyone's rightfully far more scared of the economy taking a tumble, or at the least just setting in to long term stagnation, which they probably both know they can't do anything about without increasing the deficit. I'm guessing we can expect a lot more of these random brain vomits from him leading up to the budget, but as even when he wasn't desperate he was still a bollocks treasurer, there is no way he's actually going to come up with anything that isn't laughably stupid to ecnomist and average voters a like.

Anyway I know you know the real reason; because we electing a loving awful goverment, that's why!

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

SynthOrange posted:

It's a loving awful system designed to score political points and it breaks human beings. What the gently caress is the point.
Is that a statement or a question? As sometimes people just don't want to know, or even theorize.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In contrast to how things are done now, this is a report from 2005 by the Brotherhood of St Lawrence.

quote:

Foreword
Refugees have become one distinctive face of social exclusion at the beginning of the 21st century.
Australia’s response to people seeking refuge is an indicator of progress made towards the
inclusive and compassionate society which is the vision of the Brotherhood of St Laurence. Part of
the Brotherhood’s research has been to explore different ways of thinking about the definitions and
measurement of disadvantage and to draw attention to the experience of groups who are unable to
participate fully in Australian society. The research informing this report develops our work in
applying a social exclusion framework (examining resources, relationships and rights)—in this
instance to an analysis of the settlement experience of refugees in regional Victoria.

Promoting refugees’ inclusion by linking them to the workforce and development needs of various
regions in Victoria is a policy solution with considerable appeal to governments. But will the
refugees find work and be made welcome in Victoria’s country towns? This report examines the
refugee settlement experience in Shepparton, Colac and Warrnambool. Taylor and Stanovic’s
richly layered account shows that policy planners contemplating future settlements need to think
not only about the usual range of issues that migrants encounter regarding employment, housing,
income and language, but also about concerns specific to refugees.

The report also highlights two other aspects of the Brotherhood’s vision of an inclusive society.
First, it shows the need for careful planning of joined-up services, with the participation of refugee
communities. Governments must act to ensure that the necessary community capacity is in place.
Second, it demonstrates the need to invest in social programs in tandem with planning economic
development, to ensure the employment and learning opportunities which are ultimately vital to
social inclusion.

Paul Smyth
General Manager
Social Action and Research

http://www.bsl.org.au/pdfs/refugees_and_regional_settlement.pdf

It's a long report but it covers the ups and downs of refugees in regional communities both from the refugees and local's perspectives? Overall though, it seemed to be doing well, invigorating local communities and their economies. There's challenges to accomodate but nothing insurmountable or ridiculous.

But that was a decade ago and a very different time.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Good idea, it'll be much more interesting than your posting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Graic Gabtar posted:

Is that a statement or a question? As sometimes people just don't want to know, or even theorize.

Its an observation of the results. In the end nothing was achieved except to further traumatize a genuine refugee and to keep a white elephant running a little longer before it was shut down.

gently caress you Rudd for opening it again.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

hooman posted:

:siren:DO NOT READ THE BELOW JONAH GALTBERG, I WILL BE MAKING A POST YOU DON'T LIKE.:siren:
(I also don't think I'm owning you, it's a mixture of light ribbing and warning that you shouldn't read the post because of who I'm responding to, if you don't want it or like it, I can stop.)
I just wish people could post about this stuff without having to give that idiot the attention he craves at the same time

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

Good idea, it'll be much more interesting than your posting.

No Fruity. Not a good idea. See this is where you keep going wrong!

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I just wish people could post about this stuff without having to give that idiot the attention he craves at the same time

Wait, are you talking about yourself or Graic?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Ah Hockey knows he's hosed and is just going to try whatever before he needs to put out the next budget. He and Abbott poo poo themselves into a corner with the all the goverment debt tax know that everyone's rightfully far more scared of the economy taking a tumble, or at the least just setting in to long term stagnation, which they probably both know they can't do anything about without increasing the deficit. I'm guessing we can expect a lot more of these random brain vomits from him leading up to the budget, but as even when he wasn't desperate he was still a bollocks treasurer, there is no way he's actually going to come up with anything that isn't laughably stupid to ecnomist and average voters a like.

Anyway I know you know the real reason; because we electing a loving awful goverment, that's why!

Note that there are only a certain number of ministers on the expenditure committee and Turnbull isn't one of them. He will get the message across however he needs to, even if it is in the public arena.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Wait, are you talking about yourself or Graic?

Graic! haha :)

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

hooman posted:

I included two suggestions in the post. Also, more reflections and implications about me personally.

I think a better policy approach would be to address the root causes of refugees fleeing here* and deal with those who do get here humanely. Rather than this, we're taking the more expensive option of trying to prevent them from a) ever arriving and b) imprisoning and torturing them if they do.

Feelings don't really come into it.

*global instability, no other pathways for refugees to enter Australia, Indonesia's abysmal treatment of refugees, humanitarian crises in refugee camps globally, no queue existing, etc. etc.
Personally I would like to see an end to boat stops and off-shore detention but I believe it can't happen under our current circumstances. So for the moment I accept we're stuck with it.

I don't buy into this torture thing either to be honest. gently caress ups of Government and some terrible administration yes. Crappy circumstances where several parties have to carry some blame yes. But torture, no.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Jonah post like this: waa waa wee waa

but Fruity, she post like this: poo poo doo doo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Drugs posted:

Jonah post like this: waa waa wee waa

but Fruity, she post like this: poo poo doo doo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD-yG2XnxpU

• Locked thread