Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CornHolio posted:

An electric-diesel-gasoline hybrid then. :v:

Maybe we can throw steam in there while we're at it!

Forget the hybrid stuff and just do steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blGTfgc0gpk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I want a teeny gas turbine that runs on diesel for a range extender.

Are you listening, Chevrolet? Third gen Volt with a turbine. Do it.

:shepspends:

Gotta have side-pipes then. :v:

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

ilkhan posted:

What does the dyno plot of an EV actually look like?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I've got a better idea. adapt koenigsegg's idea for cheaper cars. the tesla S motor runs up to 14000 RPM and has no transmission and has a torque curve that looks like this.

The honda 1000 CBR revs to 14000 RPM, and has a torque curve that looks like this.

bolt them together, shaft to crank, bolt it strait to the rear end with no hydraulic coupler, and just kill the fuel delivery and kick the valves open on the gas engine below 600 RPM. Just like modern start/stop technology. no 3 engine poo poo, not fifteen hunnert horespower.

just a whole bunch of RPM and torque and 100mpg and 1000 miles to a tank.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CornHolio posted:

Two turbochargers, a supercharger, an electric turbine driven by steam heated by hot exhaust, and another turbine driven by exhaust itself. And an electric heater that boils water for another electric-steam engine which produces electricity. Put those parasitic losses to good use. :pseudo:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrYenko posted:

Turbines are known for their fuel efficiency in automotive applications.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Friar Zucchini posted:

Two turbochargers, a supercharger, an electric turbine driven by steam heated by hot exhaust, and another turbine driven by exhaust itself. And an electric heater that boils water for another electric-steam engine which produces electricity. Put those parasitic losses to good use. :pseudo:

Suppose we have an engine driving a supercharger, and the turbine of that supercharger in turn turns the crankshaft of the engine.

I've just invented a perpetual motion machine! :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Suppose we have an engine driving a supercharger, and the turbine of that supercharger in turn turns the crankshaft of the engine.

I've just invented a perpetual motion machine! :v:

Perpetually in motion to and from the shop for sure

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

MrYenko posted:

I can't seem to find 93+ octane corn-free fuel here. 89 is pretty common, and if I wanted to flaunt the taxman, Rec90 is comically easy to get, but both would make the engine in the car I burn fuel in go boom. :(

Boat gas stations are typically ethanol free but cost 80 cents more a gallon

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Chrysler should do this.

And call it the Hellfire (a fitting name as it scorches the bumpers of cars riding up your rear end).

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Well, if they did do a turbine car at least the transmission wouldn't grenade?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Christobevii3 posted:

Judging by potential RPMs of 44,500, I'd be more concerned about the engine blowing up. Like, not much car left and broken windows three blocks away, that kind of blowing up.

edit: Dude. I've seen videos of runaway diesels... what about a runaway turbine? :stare: I'm thinking this just worse, and right in front of your face.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 11, 2015

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You basically described a 90s or early 2000s chevy without the runaway engine part.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Where do you live again where there are actually any C Maxs? I've seen like 5 total

We have a handful at work and will probably be getting more as we replace the Matrices and Focii. I've driven one a few times and they're alright but this:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Does the C-Max have some kind of property in its driving dynamics that make literally every one I have seen drive like a complete and total knob? It's getting to the point where I no longer wonder what the white Ford tailgating me is.

is probably due to the video-game like hybrid drive display. It's easy to pay too much attention to getting perfect braking scores and staying in EV mode as long as possible. :v:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

SouthLAnd posted:

Chrysler should do this.

And call it the Hellfire (a fitting name as it scorches the bumpers of cars riding up your rear end).

Christobevii3 posted:

Friar Zucchini posted:

Judging by potential RPMs of 44,500, I'd be more concerned about the engine blowing up. Like, not much car left and broken windows three blocks away, that kind of blowing up.

edit: Dude. I've seen videos of runaway diesels... what about a runaway turbine? :stare: I'm thinking this just worse, and right in front of your face.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Exactly what I was thinking of.

If anyone hasn't seen the Jay Leno's Garage of this car:
http://youtu.be/b2A5ijU3Ivs

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SouthLAnd posted:

Exactly what I was thinking of.

If anyone hasn't seen the Jay Leno's Garage of this car:
http://youtu.be/b2A5ijU3Ivs

I would gently caress that car.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Oh my god, that startup.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Everything about that car is cool as gently caress. The interior styling of the dials and such still looks modern and it's from 1963, it puts a lot of modern day manufacturers to shame.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

88h88 posted:

Everything about that car is cool as gently caress. The interior styling of the dials and such still looks modern and it's from 1963, it puts a lot of modern day manufacturers to shame.

Chief among them, Chrysler.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

88h88 posted:

Weird, a short-production run concept car that cost approximately $350k (2015 dollars) per example to build has a nice interior? Who would have thought?

I bet if you could buy a Chrysler that cost $350k to manufacture today that it would have a pretty loving nice interior.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Weird, a short-production run concept car that cost approximately $350k (2015 dollars) per example to build has a nice interior? Who would have thought?

I bet if you could buy a Chrysler that cost $350k to manufacture today that it would have a pretty loving nice interior.

I was referring to the styling. It doesn't take ca$hmoney to design something attractive.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would like to point out the various super cars of the 80's and 90's, and to a somewhat lesser extent the early 2000's. Very expensive the lot of them, but many with interiors that are in the same league as their fiero replicas.

Money doesn't mean style.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

I was referring to the styling. It doesn't take ca$hmoney to design something attractive.

It does take money to design something attractive and functional, and design choices can make it expensive to manufacture the thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bajaha posted:

I would like to point out the various super cars of the 80's and 90's, and to a somewhat lesser extent the early 2000's. Very expensive the lot of them, but many with interiors that are in the same league as their fiero replicas.

Money doesn't mean style.

The Vector interior owns, I will fight you.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Followup to ecoboost economy chat:

3.5L of supreme efficiency

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It does take money to design something attractive and functional, and design choices can make it expensive to manufacture the thing.

...but again I was referring to the STYLING and suggesting it still looked great in the year of our lord 2015.

And if you want to know exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the styling it was just the dials. These things look modern.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Here's mine from yesterday in my SHO. Almost all highway, but a good chunk of it was at 80 to 85MPH on the Texas tollroad

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

I thought about buying a used ecoboost F150 in a few years, but yea the regular ol' V8 would probably be just fine for less complexity and virutally no difference in fuel economy.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dreesemonkey posted:

I thought about buying a used ecoboost F150 in a few years, but yea the regular ol' V8 would probably be just fine for less complexity and virutally no difference in fuel economy.

Having driven both the Coyote and the 3.5T, I can say that the ecoboost is a lot more fun, as well as being better with a trailer. Plus, the ecoboost goes WHOOSH when you spool the turbos up, and that's worth something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eyebeem posted:

Speaking of gently caress-ugly interiors, that is a gently caress-ugly instrument cluster.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Speaking of gently caress-ugly interiors, that is a gently caress-ugly instrument cluster.

eh, it's more boring than ugly.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

88h88 posted:

...but again I was referring to the STYLING and suggesting it still looked great in the year of our lord 2015.

I agree it looks good. What others are saying is that implementing a cool design often takes more money because you have more expensive materials and a more expensive fabrication process. Older car interiors or limited run super cars have worse interiors not because they couldn't draw / think of better but because its useless to design what you cannot build and sell.

I'm reminded of the story of the GM engineers who deconstructed a Honda or something in the 80's and said they could certainly build a car of this quality, but never sell it at the price Honda could.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eyebeem posted:

eh, it's more boring than ugly.

They could've at least picked a font that doesn't look like it's the ideal intersection of boring yet stupidly unconventional, for one. Good lord.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

They could've at least picked a font that doesn't look like it's the ideal intersection of boring yet stupidly unconventional, for one. Good lord.

The job of a typeface in this use case is to be quickly legible, not pretty or conventional.

Although I'd be interested to see if manufacturers study that.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The job of a typeface in this use case is to be quickly legible, not pretty or conventional.

Although I'd be interested to see if manufacturers study that.

If they do, they don't care.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Over-stylized, under-thought gauge clusters with lovely lighting choices are a cancer on modern carns.

Keep it simple, keep it clean, and for the love of god use red/orange/green lighting so it's easy on the eyes and doesn't gently caress up your night vision. Blue/purple/white are literally the worst possible colors for a gauge cluster's lighting.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Not so much the font, but the needles on the gauges look like babby's first playskool dials. I deal with analogue gages for precision machining all day, so fat rear end needles that cover 1/8th of the gage sweep is just stupid to me. It looks like a gage simulating an idiot light at this point.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Guinness posted:

. Blue/purple/white are literally the worst possible colors for a gauge cluster's lighting.

Hyundai is very guilty of this too, the stereo on their base models has the LCD backlit with a bright blue. It's awful at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Taco Box posted:

Not so much the font, but the needles on the gauges look like babby's first playskool dials. I deal with analogue gages for precision machining all day, so fat rear end needles that cover 1/8th of the gage sweep is just stupid to me. It looks like a gage simulating an idiot light at this point.

It's a Ford. With the exception of the fuel level indicator, the speedometer, and the tachometer, they literally are idiot lights masquerading as gauges. Ford's done that for a long time now.