Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Google Calendar has no Month view. Day 1 Delete.

edit: to be exact, it has "Agenda", Day, and 3-Day.

VVV I'm just glad I'm not the only one who uses Month.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Thanks for the heads up!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Since when is podcasts a default app? 8.0? 8.1? 8.2? Just noticed it today

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I can't delete it in 8.1 so either that or 8.0.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

~Coxy posted:

Never heard of that! What's the tweak called?

Add tateu.net/repo/ and download CalSwitch for free. Then if you want to support the guy, buy Mail Labeler which kicks an insane amount of rear end if you use multiple email accounts in Mail.app.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

Since when is podcasts a default app? 8.0? 8.1? 8.2? Just noticed it today

8.0 I think? It's part of the slow creep of default apps onto the phone. (Hope you're all enjoying the watch app on 8.2)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, for some reason, Google's being really loving stupid about this. Month View only works on Tablets, not Phones. Not even on Android phones.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, this is why Fantastical is perfect. Love their setup.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

maduin posted:

(Hope you're all enjoying the watch app on 8.2)
I didn't get the Watch app! I'm assuming because I have a 4S and that's too old to do anything anymore and as such will self-destruct at some point within the next 12 months.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Why the gently caress can't we uninstall default apps yet? I don't give a poo poo about about tips, stocks, watch, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why do you care about what amounts to probably less than 200 MB of space?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Endless Mike posted:

Because it's ugly and useless
like your mom

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Because it's ugly and useless
like your mom

If we got rid of everything ugly and useless, we'd all be deprived of your posting.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The App Store is kind of hosed at the moment, but once it's not, there's finally a great free alternative maps/driving directions app. http://360.here.com/2015/03/11/getting-started-ios-basics/

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Endless Mike posted:

That's a stupid question.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

CaptainPsyko posted:

The App Store is kind of hosed at the moment, but once it's not, there's finally a great free alternative maps/driving directions app. http://360.here.com/2015/03/11/getting-started-ios-basics/

After reading that page, I don't really see what that offers over Google Maps besides more robust offline features. Do people drop their connection that often where this is an issue?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I went traveling for two weeks and burned through a LOT of my data. Part of that had to be constant map use. I could see the validity for people who need directions all the time, like traveling salespeople or something.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Super Dude posted:

After reading that page, I don't really see what that offers over Google Maps besides more robust offline features. Do people drop their connection that often where this is an issue?

Also much better transit directions (in my experience) and map data in general.

Also, I just really don't like google maps.

And robust offline features are amazing if you ever travel internationally, and pretty great for travel in general if you don't have unlimited data, which most people don't.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That'd be handy for going abroad. I was in Zurich last summer and my carrier doesn't have a roaming data option at all and I would have had to pay €7 a MEGABYTE :gonk:

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

Oh yes finally a competent offline gps app. Time to replace sygic.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

CaptainPsyko posted:

And robust offline features are amazing if you ever travel internationally, and pretty great for travel in general if you don't have unlimited data, which most people don't.

I use temporary phones when I travel internationally (or no phone at all), and have unlimited data domestically, so I guess I've never noticed these problems. Maybe I'll give this a shot anyways.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Endless Mike posted:

If we got rid of everything ugly and useless, we'd all be deprived of your posting.

You can't rehash a joke already made in the same post your quoting.

But more so, it's ugly and useless and asking the question of why people care is pretty stupid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

But more so, it's ugly and useless and asking the question of why people care is pretty stupid.
It's like 2% of available space on a 16 GB phone. If you're stressing over that I don't know what to say. Shove them in a folder on your last page and never worry about them. If you do, sorry about your autism, I guess.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

noirstronaut posted:

gently caress you, DAD

CaptainPsyko posted:

• The maps seem pretty decent/readable and there's a pretty good selection of maps ready to download, though there's a lot of stuff missing in Asia(Japan, Hong Kong, China, South Korea) though they could be in the "Asia - Whole Area" download that's 8 GB.
  • Downloaded maps include routing and location search info, which is nice.
  • I live in a place with non-English characters, and all the street names shown on the map are using English versions of the names and I can't find a language toggle(could be basing it on my selected language for iOS maybe), so I don't see this being that useful for handing it to a taxi driver.
  • It does let you save places pretty easily and put them in folders, which is already way better than Google Maps which can't get that right for some reason.
  • Haven't tried turn-by-turn navigation stuff yet, so dunno how that is
This looks like a pretty solid alternative to Google Maps, not to mention a really good choice for an offline maps app, and it's free.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is awesome! We've been bringing our ridiculous car GPS for this sort of thing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Endless Mike posted:

It's like 2% of available space on a 16 GB phone. If you're stressing over that I don't know what to say. Shove them in a folder on your last page and never worry about them. If you do, sorry about your autism, I guess.

If you can't see why someone would not want to have an app installed on their phone that they do not use, I can not help you.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
You're both basically right, but I'm with noirstronaut on this.

A big allure of the iPhone for me over an android phone was the lack of carrier bloatware. So what do I have now? crappleware. I have a 64gb device, no space worries, all the crapple apps shoved in a crapple folder. Fine. But it's MY phone and I shouldn't have to do that, and I also don't want to be told by some asshat in Cupertino what I can and cannot remove from my device.

Yes, yes, I know, The Apple Way™©®Pat. Pend.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Croc Monster posted:

Fine. But it's MY phone and I shouldn't have to do that, and I also don't want to be told by some asshat in Cupertino what I can and cannot remove from my device.

My friend…I think you are on the wrong software platform.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CaptainPsyko posted:

Cynical question of the day? What's their revenue stream (how do they fund this)? I'm real reluctant signing up for a "free" service and handing over data points like "where I am geographically when using app". It's why I'm reluctant to use Google Maps as well, since my data is their commodity as well. I guess I'm still of the mindset that I like the be the consumer that's sold an app, rather than being the product myself that's being sold.

I get that it's probably all VC cash right now, but eventually investors are going to want to see some kind of return on it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

flosofl posted:

Cynical question of the day? What's their revenue stream (how do they fund this)? I'm real reluctant signing up for a "free" service and handing over data points like "where I am geographically when using app". It's why I'm reluctant to use Google Maps as well, since my data is their commodity as well. I guess I'm still of the mindset that I like the be the consumer that's sold an app, rather than being the product myself that's being sold.

I get that it's probably all VC cash right now, but eventually investors are going to want to see some kind of return on it.

HERE is Nokia's mapping product. They make most of their money selling map data to device manufacturers, auto manufacturers, etc. etc. etc.

Also the usual location based advertising when you search for a restaurant type pipe dreams.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Croc Monster posted:

You're both basically right, but I'm with noirstronaut on this.

A big allure of the iPhone for me over an android phone was the lack of carrier bloatware. So what do I have now? crappleware. I have a 64gb device, no space worries, all the crapple apps shoved in a crapple folder. Fine. But it's MY phone and I shouldn't have to do that, and I also don't want to be told by some asshat in Cupertino what I can and cannot remove from my device.

Yes, yes, I know, The Apple Way™©®Pat. Pend.

Why did you not just get a nexus 5 or htc one? It sounds perfect for you

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Slowhanded posted:

Why did you not just get a nexus 5 or htc one? It sounds perfect for you

Legs Benedict posted:

My friend…I think you are on the wrong software platform.

As I said...I'm well familiar with the "Apple Way".

I have enough iStuff that I finally made the phone switch from android. IMacs since the 10.5 days. iPads since the original, from day 1. iPods since the 3rd generation.

There are annoyances (for me) to both android and ios. I've rooted plenty of android phones in the past (including flashing the danger SPL radio to a G1), but I'm tired of that game. And at the end of the day, there are fewer things on ios that bother me than on android, and a large number of things that for me are vastly superior. net/net, ios is a win for me.

So...allow me a couple of minor gripes? Trust me, none of this keeps me up at night.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CaptainPsyko posted:

HERE is Nokia's mapping product. They make most of their money selling map data to device manufacturers, auto manufacturers, etc. etc. etc.

Also the usual location based advertising when you search for a restaurant type pipe dreams.

Good enough. I was aware of Nokia re:map data, I just didn't realize that was their product (too lazy to research it to tell the truth).

I wasn't thinking about location based advertising, more the sale of demographic data. However much companies claim to anonymize I simply can't get that foil hat off my head. I know it's probably an unreasonable expectation in this day and age.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I was pretty stoked about HERE until I realized their map data for my state is seemingly at least 5 years old. Oh well, I'll try it out, and keep Google Maps around just in case of emergency.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

flosofl posted:

Cynical question of the day? What's their revenue stream (how do they fund this)? I'm real reluctant signing up for a "free" service and handing over data points like "where I am geographically when using app".

So, on this - you can deny Location permission to Google Maps and it will still work as well as a mapping app could be expected to work without knowing where you are (e.g. you're gonna have to fill in the starting point part of your directions searches yourself, it's not going to know where to put the map on startup so it'll probably be somewhere irrelevant, etc). It's less convenient but certainly workable. I imagine HERE (and the others) would support this as well.
This is one of the best things about iOS - Apple will reject your app for crashing or unjustifiably dropping functionality just because someone declined a permission.

quote:

I wasn't thinking about location based advertising, more the sale of demographic data.

FWIW this does not happen at google (and i doubt facebook or anyone else would either). You can even come up with a cynical reason for why it wouldn't - they make a lot more money selling targeting-based-on-data (which you can do again and again) than they would selling the actual data. Of course, you still have to be happy with the data living on some Google computer even if they're not selling it, which can be a sticking point.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

CaptainPsyko posted:

HERE is Nokia's mapping product.

I was surprised that it's not more prominent -- maybe a legal thing? Maps is one of the things that Nokia did well and got some kudos for.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'd like to put my iPad screen and audio onto a Windows computer. There seem to be a lot of apps for this(Reflector, Mirroring360, Splashtop something something), but which one is best for, say, older laptops and routers that are serving a bunch of devices at once and may be close to capacity?

I'm asking because I'd really rather not have to troubleshoot and switch stuff around in the middle of a lesson to 25 students.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Aren't most of those apps used for the other way around? ie. putting your WIndows screen and audio onto the iPad?

Anyway, I use XMirage as an AirPlay Mirroring target and it works OK.

Remember though that AirPlay is basically sending 1080p H.264 streams in real time. You will need a half decent Wifi network and computer to play it.
For example, I have a HTPC with a weenie low power CPU and it can't handle it. I'm guessing it doesn't use the GPU to decode?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

There's also an hdmi adapter for the iPad so you could just skip the Windows laptop completely, unless there's some esoteric reason everything has to go through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
It's crazy how much better Picky is than the stck music app