Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The most offensive thing they did was say the Jaguar F-Type V8 was annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

McTinkerson posted:

I feel like Chris Harris needs to sacrifice however many automotive trinkets to whichever gods are listening to take over if Clarkson gets the boot.

He's more James than Jeremy

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

When Angus Deayton got fired from Have I Got News For You, they didn't replace him with a person with similar characteristics. They replaced the entire role and started doing guest hosts every episode. Top Gear should do that as well. One week, Richard and James will get getting along swimmingly with Steve Coogan (in character as Alan Partridge perhaps?), next week they're doing a camper van challenge with Brian Blessed, the week after that they have to suffer a Jedward takeover. Of course it won't work, but it will two series of absolute mayhem before the entire concept goes supernova.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Clarkson and Wilman have been friends for years. This will just end up being them having a barney that some newbie assistant then reported. Wilman will say nothing happened cause he knows hes on to a good thing and everything will go back to normal.

Same thing happened with the eany meany thing. Nothing is shown on TV but the world has to be outraged.

I will say that the original Stig Perry Mcarthy was on the BBC breakfast news this morning trying to stand up for Clarkson by saying that he is a handful and if he punched someone they should all just man up and get on with the job. Queue hosts saying for the rest of the interview so you agree with Clarkson punching people and its acceptable in the workplace.

Very helpful black Stig.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The eeny meeny thing was barely a thing. Try mumbling through it and not forming the words like he was doing, its just the easiest sound to say when you are just baby talking. It only sounds like friend of the family if you really really amp on that part like the videos did.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm pretty sure getting heated after a long, stressful day happens and it's always the dumbest poo poo that is the last thing to set someone off. Clarkson isn't headed for a mental care ward.

If the story is true, he shouldn't have punched the guy, but I can understand being pissed about something like that.

This was filming in Newcastle, however. So Geordie jokes aside, at most he was facing the terrible strain involved in waiting for take out or sending a runner to the nearest super-Tesco.

Also, this is the UK. While it's harder to get fired for not being very good at your job, punching people at work usually does get people fired unless the employer has a very good alternative that wouldn't play very badly in the otherwise inevitable employment tribunal.

Of course this isn't a normal employment situation and the Beeb have previously been willing to pay substantial compromise payments to remove presenters they don't want any more (e.g. older women). So it may be that, while getting advice on their rights against Clarkson, they're also negotiating the size of the cheque + apology this Oisin dude would accept to agree to be moved to another show.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Bigsteve posted:

Clarkson and Wilman have been friends for years. This will just end up being them having a barney that some newbie assistant then reported. Wilman will say nothing happened cause he knows hes on to a good thing and everything will go back to normal.

Same thing happened with the eany meany thing. Nothing is shown on TV but the world has to be outraged.

I will say that the original Stig Perry Mcarthy was on the BBC breakfast news this morning trying to stand up for Clarkson by saying that he is a handful and if he punched someone they should all just man up and get on with the job. Queue hosts saying for the rest of the interview so you agree with Clarkson punching people and its acceptable in the workplace.

Very helpful black Stig.

I wondered where Old Black Stig was these days. Not as dead in the sea somewhere after being murdered so it's pretty good no matter how you look at it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

There's already two or three op-ed pieces in the Guardian about how evil Clarkson should resign and shame on the BBC for employing him. They must have these articles pre-written and just fill in the blanks like they do with obituaries.

Well, yeah, they do.

With Jeremy Clarkson suspended, here's my vision for an eco-feminist Top Gear

:suicide:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

You know, I read the Grauniad mostly because I cant stand the other papers but occasionally with stuff like this it really gets on my nerves. What dream planet are they living on anyway? I am sure all 10 eco-feminist car enthusiasts would love that show but the rest of us just want to watch 3 blokes being idiots while driving fast cars. Can they not just let us enjoy it?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

lt_kennedy posted:

I wondered where Old Black Stig was these days. Not as dead in the sea somewhere after being murdered so it's pretty good no matter how you look at it.

The interview was a thing of beauty. I can imagine Clarkson sat at home watching just repeatedly murmuring "oval office".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31828943

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That was really difficult to read. How can anybody take Top Gear that seriously? :psyduck: It's practically a sitcom with cars these days.

Edit: You may as well write an article about the irresponsible actions of Basil Fawlty for all the sense it'll make.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 11, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you asked me "What kind of inane horseshit would be contained in a Guardian article unironically promoting something called eco-feminism"...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Saga posted:

This was filming in Newcastle, however. So Geordie jokes aside, at most he was facing the terrible strain involved in waiting for take out or sending a runner to the nearest super-Tesco.

Also, this is the UK. While it's harder to get fired for not being very good at your job, punching people at work usually does get people fired unless the employer has a very good alternative that wouldn't play very badly in the otherwise inevitable employment tribunal.

Of course this isn't a normal employment situation and the Beeb have previously been willing to pay substantial compromise payments to remove presenters they don't want any more (e.g. older women). So it may be that, while getting advice on their rights against Clarkson, they're also negotiating the size of the cheque + apology this Oisin dude would accept to agree to be moved to another show.

Whoa whoa whoa, it was oisin? Is that confirmed? He's a cool dude. :(

Ah, crap it was. There has to be more going on here.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 11, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

FiftySeven posted:

I am sure all 10 eco-feminist car enthusiasts would love that show but the rest of us just want to watch 3 blokes being idiots while driving fast cars. Can they not just let us enjoy it?
Someone who comes up with poo poo like "eco-feminism" is probably unhinged and living on another planet, anyway. They're the sort of people that truly deserve a punch in their face, for making the lives hard of proper feminists and level-headed environmentalists.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

I like the Guardian as a newspaper, but sometimes I wonder why I like it.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This person clearly doesn't watch or understand Top Gear. People don't watch Top Gear for useful information.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Top Gear should also promote gluten-free foods, organic vegetables, non-GMO milk, and yoga if you want to so throughly destroy it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Daily Mail (Ewww) posted:

'I'm off to the Job Centre' jokes Jeremy Clarkson as sources say he may QUIT the BBC - even if they give him the all-clear over his Top Gear food fight fracas

Jeremy Clarkson said today he was 'off to the Job Centre' after the BBC suspended him for allegedly punching a producer in a fight over food.

The 54-year-old millionaire is being investigated for allegedly 'smacking' Oisin Tymon, 36, in the face after being told there was no hot food after a day's filming in Newcastle.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Logikv9 posted:

Top Gear should also promote gluten-free foods, organic vegetables, non-GMO milk, and yoga if you want to so throughly destroy it.
Those people are just mad that Top Gear isn't their soapbox, but that's nothing new.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

InitialDave posted:

If you asked me "What kind of inane horseshit would be contained in a Guardian article unironically promoting something called eco-feminism"...

There wasn't really all that much about either the eco or the feminism part of the buzzword other than some student government newsletter-tier filler 'hey the i8 is neat, something something the future, clarkson is insensitive.' Are 'real' newspapers doing clickbait now, because that's what that is.

e: If he actually punched a producer for not bringing him his nummies he deserves a suitably Clarksonian punishment. The producer should get one free shot at Clarkson, as hard as he can manage, then all is forgiven.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 11, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

There wasn't really all that much about either the eco or the feminism part of the buzzword other than some student government newsletter-tier filler 'hey the i8 is neat, something something the future, clarkson is insensitive.' Are 'real' newspapers doing clickbait now, because that's what that is.

e: If he actually punched a producer for not bringing him his nummies he deserves a suitably Clarksonian punishment. The producer should get one free shot at Clarkson, as hard as he can manage, then all is forgiven.

Either that, or make it an inside joke for the entire next series that, during every trip and challenge, Clarkson gets randomly poo poo upon with extra tasks and unpleasant things to do. Everyone else is staying at a hotel? Your caravan is right this way, Mr. Clarkson!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PT6A posted:

Everyone else is staying at a hotel? Your caravandamp sleeping bag is right this way, Mr. Clarkson!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
"We decided to take super cars down to the South of France!"

"While Jeremy Clarkson reviews the Dodge Charger in Argentina!"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nonsense posted:

The most offensive thing they did was say the Jaguar F-Type V8 was annoying.

Yes. I've seen a few around in town. They sound glorious. Angry and loud, but glorious.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

"We decided to take super cars down to the South of France!"

"While Jeremy Clarkson reviews the Dodge Charger in Argentina!"

And he has to drive it to the finishing point at the Capitol building in Mexico City.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Finally - the Fracas in Clarkrackas I've been waiting for :arghfist::allears:

God that 'article' was wafer thin at best - as a feminist, a woman and someone who does their bit for the environment I'd rather watch actual Top Gear.

Clarkson can be a bit of a victim of his own persona building but to be honest, his persona is a weird one to begin with. The bravado, machismo and self confidence in the face of his own impotence is what makes him entertaining and magnetic but a lot of it is self effacing and weirdly sensitive in places. I can't think of any show right now were you see men laugh openly either at their mates misfortunes or at their collective team victories in challenges or when a car just ticks all the right boxes. I can't think of any show where you can see the flicker of emotions behind anyone's eyes like Top Gear, especially, weirdly enough - mostly from Clarkson. During the Burma special when it was winding up he chokes up talking about how much he loved being there, and the wheezy doubling over laughing (usually at James May) or the reverence he had for that Disco Volante.

It is a weird goddamn show as a whole when you think about it - from the way it started and the way it exploded into a huge empire.

lt_kennedy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 11, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Dolphin posted:

This person clearly doesn't watch or understand Top Gear. People don't watch Top Gear for useful information.

But it's the #1 factual show in the world :eng101:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Clarkson's anecdote about the Porsche 928 and his dying father was goddamn moving.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, and then he ruined a manual 928 GT. Hang the fucker!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, and then he ruined a manual 928 GT. Hang the fucker!

No, then the Argies ruined a 928.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Kind of the crew's fault for pampering him and May throughout the entirety of the 'rescue Hammond' mission.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So help me God, BBC Canada better show the remaining fully-completed episodes that have already aired in the UK but not here (i.e. the one where they're actually in Canada!)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

PT6A posted:

No, then the Argies ruined a 928.

I think he means the ambulance

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

pik_d posted:

Oh yes, there was that...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

pik_d posted:

I think that was a 944

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That wasn't a 928 IIRC. I meant the Argentinian car that he ruined by taking it offroad and "improving" it, though the locals did put the final nail in.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I hate to say it as much as I love the cars, but 928s are ruined the moment you start driving them. The electrics in those cars are just abysmal, and abysmal to work on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

I feel like Chris Harris needs to sacrifice however many automotive trinkets to whichever gods are listening to take over if Clarkson gets the boot.
Chris Barrie should replace Clarkson, because he's a petrolhead and played a shouty guy on Red Dwarf. And he was on that Petrolheads game show with Hammond.