Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
lol at people unironically saying "git gud scrub" in 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

What's the last level of the game called? I want to know how close I am to finishing it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

What's the last level of the game called? I want to know how close I am to finishing it.

It's called Apocalypse, but you won't see a title card for it. I don't remember what the one before that is called, but it's the last scored one with the Son.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
No, this game isn't exactly hard. It's just that with the way the levels are designed, you have to be a lot more careful, and exploit the AI with gun sounds etc in order to progress, which does a huge disservice to the kind of game it is imo. Standing in one area and plinking away at patrols with guns isn't a whole lot of fun.
The huge levels, and abundance of windows and gun wielding enemies also makes it much harder to keep a good combo going, and ultimately slows the game down.

Almost Honest
Aug 17, 2009
This game's poo poo but I want to finish it. How do I kill the ninjas on stage 24?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
This game was a huge disappointment for me. I thought it started off extremely strong. I enjoyed all the different characters early on, especially the writer and the bear. At some point in the game the levels just get too big and too open and it stops being fun... I felt like I had to walk around using shift way too much because the levels were so open and it was easy to walk into enemies with guns, especially when the level is nearly over and you're looking for the last one or two enemies. There are also annoying glitches with enemies where they get stuck in doorways, start vibrating and can't be hit. I also noticed some enemies insta-killing me through closed doors.

I don't get why they made the levels so huge.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Broken Cog posted:

No, this game isn't exactly hard. It's just that with the way the levels are designed, you have to be a lot more careful, and exploit the AI with gun sounds etc in order to progress, which does a huge disservice to the kind of game it is imo. Standing in one area and plinking away at patrols with guns isn't a whole lot of fun.
The huge levels, and abundance of windows and gun wielding enemies also makes it much harder to keep a good combo going, and ultimately slows the game down.

Actually the game is identical to HM1, which you never enjoyed at all and probably weren't any good at, if you think about it. Have you considered spending less time at the gym and more time practicing cartoon video games?

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
So one thing that has disappointed me is the lack of variety in the weapons available to use, mainly seems to be bats, pipes and knives. I got hopeful when I got the skateboard and the bottle but those seem to have been one offs before going back to guns guns and more guns. The variety of items you could use in HM1 made it more interesting, even if they din't change the gameplay that much. I liked that you could get through a lot of levels using mainly melee weapons in HM1 (from what I remember) whereas I feel like I'm forced to use guns most of the time in HM2.

I guess part of it is the gimmicky characters who can't interact with most items which means there isn't much point in there being lots of items available if most characters can't use them.

Oh, and I completed HM1 easily, saying the problem is people not being good enough is just stupid.

Almost Honest
Aug 17, 2009

Buck Turgidson posted:

This game was a huge disappointment for me. I thought it started off extremely strong. I enjoyed all the different characters early on, especially the writer and the bear. At some point in the game the levels just get too big and too open and it stops being fun... I felt like I had to walk around using shift way too much because the levels were so open and it was easy to walk into enemies with guns, especially when the level is nearly over and you're looking for the last one or two enemies. There are also annoying glitches with enemies where they get stuck in doorways, start vibrating and can't be hit. I also noticed some enemies insta-killing me through closed doors.

I don't get why they made the levels so huge.

Yep. Not sure why I can be sniped with a shotgun from a guy who I can't see even when I'm fully zoomed in his direction. Honestly I feel more than half of the levels play like a top-down Ghost Recon game or something.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Well that sure was an ending. I warmed up to the game toward the end. Son's levels didn't seem too unfair and I managed to find a flow. Hooray!
Soldier levels suck. Again, I really appreciated the risks they took experimenting, but ugh. Also discovered there is a :stare: S rank.

A brief theory about that one character everyone remembers and keeps mentioning.

Jacket is a dream! He's dead, but he murdered an army of dudes. That stuck with the society in HM2.
Jacket is a metaphor for fear, phobia, and misguided desire. It's why he speaks in riddles. The viewer understands what is hosed up about the characters Jacket "speaks to", but those characters don't accept what they're doing is wrong. They're in denial except for the crazy colonel who appeared to accept responsibility for his faults.
Richard the Cock(Jacket) is kinda similar to the Sword of Damocles imo. He represents dread.
As for the supernatural recursion in Hard/NG+. I think it's just fun and creepy and not necessarily meant to be deep.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Only played the first few levels (on the ps4) and yeah - the decision to emphasize gunplay over melee is just killing the game for me.

It took until the second half of the second level to hit layouts that pretty much demand gunfire early and often.

Its like someone took a look at the Exposed level in the first game (the DLC level that was just a convention floor) and thought they should make a whole drat game like it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
loving hell, chapter 11. Would be tolerable if those goddamn fat black guys weren't all over the place - nothing annoys me more about bullet sponge enemies than their friends being able to shoot through them whereas all your projectiles get stopped.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I feel that large parts of the game would be far less offensive if they had mid-scene checkpoints. Namely, the soldier chapters and every level that focused on using guns.

Richter's levels though, those are fine as-is. Those had everything good about the first game and then some.

Almost Honest posted:

Yep. Not sure why I can be sniped with a shotgun from a guy who I can't see even when I'm fully zoomed in his direction. Honestly I feel more than half of the levels play like a top-down Ghost Recon game or something.
That's part of why I like this game more than the first :ohdear: because I've wanted a one hit death tactical simulator that doesn't involve wide expanses of open space and "everyone's a sniper" AI ala ARMA.

Unfortunately, the hosed shiftlook and aiming mechanics for keyboard+mouse kind of put a damper on that. Plus, the shooting levels are WAY TOO loving LARGE and WAY TOO loving LONG.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 11, 2015

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The complaints about difficulty make me wonder how many people here actually did beat HLM1. Yeah the first few levels you can just zerker rush in about a 1 minute but everything after Hot and Heavy is basically the same deal as HLM2.

I would agree that ramping up to Assualt/Vengence tiers of difficulty in about the 4th chapter is kind of questionable, but everyone is acting like open spaces against shotgunners is something that only opens in Wrong Number which is really, really not true.
I didn't have issues with the difficulty until Stronghold. I hated stronghold, it's just tedious. Waiting for patrols and picking them off, never using your gun because you need all the ammo you get just to take out the big guys on each floor. One mistake and you have to start the whole waiting game over again. gently caress that.

I never finished the first game because I got to some hopsital level with a grain filter that gave me a headache. Also the level was really not fun. I tried to replay and finish the original but when I got that level again it was the same headache plus unfun level and I can't think of any reason why I would subject myself to that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How is anyone supposed to win Scene 18? You enter with no weapon to face a gunmen and a black guy in a room with no cover.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How is anyone supposed to win Scene 18? You enter with no weapon to face a gunmen and a black guy in a room with no cover.
The sight range for the enemies is impaired, so you could actually sort of sneak up to the shotgun guy. You kind of have to do footsies with the big dude before getting the other guy's gun to shoot him.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Erata posted:

Well that sure was an ending. I warmed up to the game toward the end. Son's levels didn't seem too unfair and I managed to find a flow. Hooray!
Soldier levels suck. Again, I really appreciated the risks they took experimenting, but ugh. Also discovered there is a :stare: S rank.

A brief theory about that one character everyone remembers and keeps mentioning.

Jacket is a dream! He's dead, but he murdered an army of dudes. That stuck with the society in HM2.
Jacket is a metaphor for fear, phobia, and misguided desire. It's why he speaks in riddles. The viewer understands what is hosed up about the characters Jacket "speaks to", but those characters don't accept what they're doing is wrong. They're in denial except for the crazy colonel who appeared to accept responsibility for his faults.
Richard the Cock(Jacket) is kinda similar to the Sword of Damocles imo. He represents dread.
As for the supernatural recursion in Hard/NG+. I think it's just fun and creepy and not necessarily meant to be deep.

Jacket isn't dead, he's in jail.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Not out on Euro PSN yet? Any ETA?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Just played up to the start of act 3.

I beat the reporter level twice without realising that if you picked up a gun, it would strip it and add a kill and count towards your combo, which means I didn't hit the par score. Once I found that out, it became pretty easy.

The hardest part of that level is honestly the start because you can't 100% guarantee there'll be a baseball bat guy spawning perfectly where you want him.

Tony level is the best so far because of fists of fury combined with great music. Honestly the very first level with Jake was poo poo with all those guns and windows.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
How do you kill the enemy with the Katana near the end?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The complaints about difficulty make me wonder how many people here actually did beat HLM1. Yeah the first few levels you can just zerker rush in about a 1 minute but everything after Hot and Heavy is basically the same deal as HLM2.

I would agree that ramping up to Assualt/Vengence tiers of difficulty in about the 4th chapter is kind of questionable, but everyone is acting like open spaces against shotgunners is something that only opens in Wrong Number which is really, really not true.

More windows, enormous levels that make it so enemies can shoot you outside of your shift look range, tons and tons of guns making it very tough to go melee only, glitchy doors, aiming system takes a while to get used to(this might the same as HLM1 I can't remember).

And I'm not even very far yet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Brief thing for those struggling with the journalist - if you keep punching people while they're down he will completely lose his poo poo and gain killer fists, while also gaining the ability to use guns. It'll completely tank your score but something worth considering if you struggle.

Indrid_Cold
May 15, 2014
I think the problem isn't that the game asks you to do anything the first one didn't. I think the problem is that it asks you to do it way more often. A killing spree that would finish off a floor in Hotline Miami 1 is just a fraction of what is required per floor in 2. Obviously this means less check points, but what kills it for me is you can't experiment as much. A lot of the fun in Hotline Miami is asking 'but what if I do this...' and seeing how it all plays out, but when you have been playing the same 15 seconds of gameplay over and over for 10 minutes or more there's no incentive to try and shake things up. Why try anything new when any failure undoes the one good run out of the past couple of dozen.

Still like the game though, digging the story, just had to put it down for a bit after the utter bullshit of some of the levels.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GodFish posted:

I punched him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jehde posted:

:agreed:

Most of the complaints I read just seem like people being bad at the game. Like specifically about getting shot from off screen, I just press R and use shift next time, it really hasn't been a problem for me. I get the impression from a lot of goons that they aren't actually into HLM as much as they thought they were.

The problem is there are several areas where there is a guy with a gun waiting in hallways longer than you can shift look. And they have a longer vision range than that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RBA Starblade posted:

The problem is there are several areas where there is a guy with a gun waiting in hallways longer than you can shift look. And they have a longer vision range than that.

Basically, yeah. The game even hammered "don't plan, just act" into the players so having to keep zooming the camera all over really breaks the flow. The randomized reactions (present in HM1 but especially obvious here...) don't really help either as you need to do this every time, rather than memorizing where they are and reacting to that.

Chapter 11 with the detective is a prime example, especially in the second section. You can be seen - and shot - from the starter area and even if you get into cover chances are one of the fat guys has seen you who is completely invincible unless you've brought a gun from the previous area. Even then you're very likely to have used up all your ammunition fighting off the first wave of goons.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 11, 2015

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

GodFish posted:

You basically have to just out melee them, it helps if you pick up a longer range weapon like a machete and walk backwards while they chase you and keep swinging.

You're going to run into a lot of those guys in the later floors so it's going to help to develop a tactic.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flayer posted:

Not out on Euro PSN yet? Any ETA?
2-6 hours from now. PSN is a bit unpredictable.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Best method I found for the katana enemies was to bring along your own from the start. Made the fat guys at the start a huge pain in the rear end, but otherwise it worked well.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That's actually one of my favorite rooms even though there's only one real way to get through it. Knock the baseball bat guys out, grab the bat, throw it at the gunman, grab the gun and tag the fat guy. Pretty execution-heavy but badass when you pull it off.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

TheJoker138 posted:

Jacket isn't dead, he's in jail.

Whoops. :v: Well, that doesn't mean he can't be on everyone's mind tho.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
They actually managed to poo poo up the game with tons of off screen shooters. I want to play Tony with stringing melee combos not top down doorway peekaboo cover shooter.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Finished the game, it was hella good. And I do mean hella loving good.

The Fans' last level, especially. God, that music ! I was stuck like 15 minutes on Ash & Alex's part but I didn't give a gently caress, Roller Mobster is THAT good.
I really love how Apocalypse looks. It explains why the Son was so hosed up when he killed the siblings. Not really a fan of the "everything is dead" ending, but gently caress it, I'm going in for a second round !

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finished the game. I don't want to play it again. Like, ever. And I've completed Hotline Miami four or five times on various platforms. This just wasn't fun.

E: I'll be back when the level editor is released and people start making levels that are actually fun.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cerebulon posted:

I completely lost track of the dates beside stuff taking place in earlier years, but I think the story fell together fairly well at the end.
Rough chronology from what I gather?: (Massive spoilers obviously)
Russia and USA go to war. Soldiers fight in terribley designed areas of Hawaii.
Lt. loses his poo poo and establishes the idea of the masks.
They ultimately are sort of betrayed, and the US lose the war.
The soldiers from Hawaii create the hotline network to... Get back at the Russians? Hence targetting only Russians. Made up pretty much entirely of manipulated people.
Hotline Miami 1 happens.
Jacket and Bald Caller go to jail, writer investigates Jacket's story etc. etc.
Bald Caller escapes from jail.
Fat Redneck fits in somewhere as thinking the Hotline is a secret government resistance movement and gets himself killed by the government who are loyal to Russia.
The Fans think Jacket is really cool so try to emulate his style with no idea about the Hotline. But they just target junkies and stuff. This doesn't get the attention they want.
Son robs the bank.
Fans get a lead about Russian mobsters and decide to go after them next.
Henchman retires.
Fans kill Henchman.
Detective visits Alex and Ash's house.
Writer visits Bald Caller's house.
Fans shoot up Russian skyscraper.
Son kills the Fans.
Detective visits Russian skyscraper.
Detective becomes paranoid.
Former Lt. from Hawaii assassinates US and Russian presidents.
Russia retaliates.

Did the detective's case actually tie into the plot directly? He was investigating the Russian mob I think, but was he trying to link them with Jacket somehow?
It also doesn't explain why everybody was seeing "Jacket" (Or quite possibly Beardsoldier who seemed to be the original chicken mask wearer somehow?) hallucinations, is that explained at all? Something to do with the Son's new product maybe?

Man I read stuff like this and it is bizarre to me that people are into the stories of these games

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

Man I read stuff like this and it is bizarre to me that people are into the stories of these games
HM1 had good writing because it was minimalistic and vague like some fever dream and really fit the atmosphere and gameplay of 1. 2's is just really up its own rear end and its clear they were best off keeping it minimalistic.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm really liking it - but the areas are generally too wide open and there's too much reliance on guns.

But I'm still really enjoying it. The chainsaw twins are a blast.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The story as I'm following it reminds me a lot of the novel Three Hundred Million by Blake Butler. This is not necessarily a good thing, as it wasn't a very good novel. But both stories deal with the idea of violent killings turning memetic until ever-larger groups of people are being brutally slaughtered, and both end with there being no one left to kill - in Miami for Hotline, and in the whole of America for Three Hundred Million (possibly, that book disappears completely up its own rear end).

Jacket is the most public representative of the Hotline killings as the violence espoused by 50 Blessings, and all of Miami's aware of him because of the trial and the sheer scale of the murders he left behind. That explains why Richard keeps showing up in the dreams and hallucinations of the different characters - he acts as a futile voice of reason because he, and Jacket, represent the consequences of their thrill-killing. But it's useless, and the violence grows until it engulfs all of Miami.

It's not exactly an earth-shattering story and the personalized nature of HM1 strung you along a lot better, the thread here is just too broad and runs through too many different characters to get you very invested.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
The only complaint about this game is the huge rear end rooms, I quite liked the cramped places of the first levels in HLM1. That's why the first 3 Richard levels are really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Space Hamlet posted:

I think y'all complaining about having to bait with guns all the time etc forgot what the first game felt like before you memorized the levels and got really good.

Maybe the reason I have no complaints with HM2 is that I never got good at the first game. The first time I played it was around release time, and through a combination of poor optimization and my low-end video card I cheesed my way through it thinking I was awesome at the game. I'd regularly get A or A+, occasionally B, and thought I was playing it as intended. It turned out that the game was running at like a 1/3rd of the speed it should've been at the entire time, so I basically beat the game in slow-mo. Second playthrough was after a computer upgrade but before the new engine, so it was a little tougher but not bad. Then I put it away until like a few months ago, and I've been sucking ever since. I'm making my way through the new one fine but I'm getting D rankings. A lot. But I'm still having fun with the game because dying isn't punishing, you can reload in a second and start again a-la Super Meat Boy.

As for the gun baiting thing that guy was complaining about... that's pretty much as-intended. It's clear you're meant to lure guys to you with guns, that's what these big-rear end levels are designed around. Take the "warehouse" (crack den) level that people have complained about for example. On the top floor, go to the right, kill the first guy around the corner with a shotgun blast. Then wait a beat or two, then strafe and fire, back and forth totally blind down the corridor. You're guaranteed to kill five more guys as they charge after you. The key to the second game's huge-rear end blind levels is to bait guys with line-of-sight and gunshots, and not just running out in the open. Also be aware of enemy placements and experiment with luring them from different spots. If one spot isn't working or is getting you killed, do it somewhere else.

• Locked thread