Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Someone said lethal injection was the least inhumane option, but wouldn't sedation followed by a slow release of carbon monoxide in a prisoner's sleep be much more humane and painless?

Speaking a someone whom believes ideally we'd have no death penalty at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

greatn posted:

Someone said lethal injection was the least inhumane option, but wouldn't sedation followed by a slow release of carbon monoxide in a prisoner's sleep be much more humane and painless?

Speaking a someone whom believes ideally we'd have no death penalty at all.

Nitrogen would be better.

But a bullet is certainly more humane than the current lethal injection methods.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You don't need sedation. Just pump the room full of pure nitrogen and they never see it coming. I think Oklahoma is actually investigating that option. Of course, just not killing people to begin with would be best.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think we'd be shocked by the amount of people that would volunteer to kill prisoners. They might get cold feet at the last minute once they saw his face or got a stress disorder after taking a life but there would be a waiting list for people wanting to kill someone legally.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'm sure you could get 10 conservative gun nuts to pay to do it if you wanted.

Most of them would probably poo poo their pants if they had to do something like that. I doubt as many would volunteer as we'd like to assume. I know a few conservative gun nuts and it's entirely about self defense for them and would defend their homes with tanks if they could, but going out of their way to kill someone is a stretch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The death penalty is supposed to be about vengeance and the fact that it hurts is a feature not a bug for death penalty advocates.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah the idea is to get what you truly want (painful torture for others, illegal abortions) but to message it like you care (protecting victims, making sure birth control is safe). It's sleazy as hell and it's hard to prove someone's true intent, even when they are clear about it as long as they deny the exact phrasing that makes it sound bad.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radish posted:

I think we'd be shocked by the amount of people that would volunteer to kill prisoners. They might get cold feet at the last minute once they saw his face or got a stress disorder after taking a life but there would be a waiting list for people wanting to kill someone legally.

Then the population will start realizing that its actually a pretty awful thing instead of something to be proud of. Might not be the worst idea in the world.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think it would result in people more unwilling to have them executed, just make them want other people to go back to doing the dirty work after they realize what it entails.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm opposed to nitrogen/CO asphyxiation because it would make executions so much easier that it would only make them more palatable and kneecap a lot of the opposition to the death penalty.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
OTOH I don't think it's exactly good PR for the death penalty to have literal gas chambers be the primary method.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

OTOH I don't think it's exactly good PR for the death penalty to have literal gas chambers be the primary method.

Lots of places used to use the gas chamber, notably California.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

Most of them would probably poo poo their pants if they had to do something like that. I doubt as many would volunteer as we'd like to assume. I know a few conservative gun nuts and it's entirely about self defense for them and would defend their homes with tanks if they could, but going out of their way to kill someone is a stretch.

You'd be surprised how many sociopaths we have

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The least humane solution is having life without parole in the US Prison system.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Also, with how disproportionately blacks are sentenced to death vs. whites, the racists would be lining up out the door to shoot a black person.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

The death penalty is supposed to be about vengeance and the fact that it hurts is a feature not a bug for death penalty advocates.

Source: Freep threads covered in death penalty suffering jizz.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I want to clarify that I meant to imply the volunteers should be coming from state law enforcement agencies. That's why I made the snark about which officials should be capped on promotion potential due to a willingness to kill a defenseless person.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

I want to clarify that I meant to imply the volunteers should be coming from state law enforcement agencies. That's why I made the snark about which officials should be capped on promotion potential due to a willingness to kill a defenseless person.

I naturally extended it as an excuse to make fun of gun nuts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

Source: Freep threads covered in death penalty suffering jizz.

The better source is that we know it doesn't add a deterrent effect and in the end, due to appeals and associated court costs, is more expensive than keeping a person in prison for life, yet we do it anyway.

AlternateNu posted:

Luckily our law enforcement agencies are sociopath-free.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Obligatory Onion video

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Another article on ~Letter-Gate~:

quote:

The reaction from Washington’s foreign policy establishment was that President Obama’s authority as commander in chief had been challenged in a new and unprecedented way.

Forty-seven Republican senators, openly seeking to undercut the president, signed a letter to Iran’s leaders threatening to undo any agreement reached with the United States regarding their country’s nuclear program.

A battle quickly erupted over who was to blame for the dysfunction and how to defuse a situation that many foreign policy experts believe has become so poisonous that it has begun to damage the United States’ standing in the world.

Even against the backdrop of a long list of fiscal and foreign policy battles between the White House and Republicans, the latest standoff seemed exceptional.

“If you are a country in the Middle East or Asia relying on Washington, this raises questions about America’s predictability,” said Richard Haass, who is president of the Council on Foreign Relations and served in the George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush administrations. “I hear this all the time. I just know it makes others around the world more uncomfortable and contributes to a more dangerous and disorderly world.”

quote:

Former secretary of state Hillary Rodham Clinton weighed in Tuesday at a crowded news conference outside the U.N. Security Council chambers. Before she defended herself against allegations that she had improperly used a private e-mail account during her tenure, Clinton attacked Republicans who had signed the letter to Iran. “Either these senators were trying to be helpful to the Iranians or harmful to the commander in chief in the midst of high-stakes international diplomacy,” she said. “Either answer does discredit to the letter’s signatories.”

Many in the GOP foreign policy establishment, meanwhile, expressed disappointment over the increasingly partisan nature of U.S. foreign policy. Former senator Richard G. Lugar (R-Ind.), who previously served as chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, described Cotton’s letter as “an unfortunate venture” and said he would have advised the freshman senator and Army veteran not to send it.

Others suggested that the belief that politics and partisanship “stop at the water’s edge” has always been more myth than reality but questioned the wisdom of the GOP letter.

“It is never a good idea for elected leaders to give foreigners, and especially foreign enemies, a formal invitation to join our domestic arguments,” said Phil Zelikow, who was a senior adviser to former secretary of state Condoleezza Rice. “It is not the conduct one would ordinarily expect from leaders of a great power.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...19d2_story.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm just thrilled at the backlash against the GOP for this stunt.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

What backlash would that be?

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

America will forget this ever happened in 2 weeks because an old, expired info page will be removed from the Obamacare website and we all know what's a more important news story.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Obama isn't going to jail them as traitors, give it a loving rest, zoux.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How are u posted:

Obama isn't going to jail them as traitors, give it a loving rest, zoux.

No I'm serious, what is the backlash that isn't Democrats saying it's bad?

Also that's an intentional mischaracterization of my argument.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/10/republicans-admit-that-iran-letter-was-a-dumb-idea.html

quote:

Republican aides were taken aback by what they thought was a lighthearted attempt to signal to Iran and the public that Congress should have a role in the ongoing nuclear discussions. Two GOP aides separately described their letter as a “cheeky” reminder of the congressional branch’s prerogatives.

“The administration has no sense of humor when it comes to how weakly they have been handling these negotiations,” said a top GOP Senate aide.

It's was just a joke guys! Got you!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Well that's awkward.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

zoux posted:

I'm seeing headlines with words like "political firestorm," "backfire," "GOP rift," etc., does that not count?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

"Mainstream" republican technocrats thinking its insane. Hopefully that trickles to donors as well, making EMEA countries nervous about whether US agreements are for real will really hurt business.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

zoux posted:

The Democrats are far less likely at this point to give them a veto override when they try to pass some bill sabotaging the negotiations. It's an actual setback to their agenda rather than the usual people complaining about how bad the Republicans are.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

quote:

“Before the letter, the national conversation was about Netanyahu’s speech and how Obama’s negotiations with Iran are leading to a terrible deal that could ultimately harm U.S. national security. Now, the Obama administration and its Capitol Hill partisans are cynically trying to push the conversation away from policy, and towards a deeply political pie fight over presidential and congressional prerogatives,” said a Senate Republican aide whose boss signed the letter.

Yes why did Obama have to make these Iran negotiations into such a partisan pie fight?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TotalHell posted:

I'm seeing headlines with words like "political firestorm," "backfire," "GOP rift," etc., does that not count?

Are you reading more than the headlines? Where are these headlines on major media sites? The bodies of the articles are all Democrats criticizing, with some Republican dissembling.

hobbesmaster posted:

"Mainstream" republican technocrats thinking its insane. Hopefully that trickles to donors as well, making EMEA countries nervous about whether US agreements are for real will really hurt business.

Please post the strongest worded quote vs. the letter from a Republican that you can find.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The Democrats are far less likely at this point to give them a veto override when they try to pass some bill sabotaging the negotiations. It's an actual setback to their agenda rather than the usual people complaining about how bad the Republicans are.

Lol if you think that a Democratic assisted veto override on ANY piece of legislation, much less one on a Iran deal was ever possible.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Hello puppet master defense, my old friend

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

zoux posted:

Are you reading more than the headlines? Where are these headlines on major media sites? The bodies of the articles are all Democrats criticizing, with some Republican dissembling.

Look man, I know your position on this and I respect your ideas, I'm just saying that this story might actually blow up in the Republicans' face.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TotalHell posted:

Look man, I know your position on this and I respect your ideas, I'm just saying that this story might actually blow up in the Republicans' face.

Thanks, but it's already passing out of the media narrative cycle.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

Please post the strongest worded quote vs. the letter from a Republican that you can find.

Oh come on the article is like 5 posts above you.

quote:

Many in the GOP foreign policy establishment, meanwhile, expressed disappointment over the increasingly partisan nature of U.S. foreign policy. Former senator Richard G. Lugar (R-Ind.), who previously served as chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, described Cotton’s letter as “an unfortunate venture” and said he would have advised the freshman senator and Army veteran not to send it.

Others suggested that the belief that politics and partisanship “stop at the water’s edge” has always been more myth than reality but questioned the wisdom of the GOP letter.

“It is never a good idea for elected leaders to give foreigners, and especially foreign enemies, a formal invitation to join our domestic arguments,” said Phil Zelikow, who was a senior adviser to former secretary of state Condoleezza Rice. “It is not the conduct one would ordinarily expect from leaders of a great power.”

Thats like as mean as establishment republicans are going to get against the majority of their sitting senators.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MC Nietzche posted:

I'm as pissed off as anyone at those 47 senators but serious Obama can't start jailing his political opponents en masse. Come on.

He could just fine them. Or just Cotton.

And Jindal. Because, Jindal.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The effect can be divided into the long and near term. Near term: it dealt a blow to attempts to get a veto proof bill together on the Iran negotiations during March (also hurt by Bibi's speech, and various Republican maneuvers in the Senate). In the long term? Who knows, but it does add to a narrative that is discernable to people beyond hardcore partisans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh come on the article is like 5 posts above you.

Thats like as mean as establishment republicans are going to get against the majority of their sitting senators.

"A questionable venture" :ohdear:

Compare that to GOP reactions to thinks like Akin's rape comments or other bad indefensible behavior from Republicans with national profile.

Fix posted:

He could just fine them. Or just Cotton.

And Jindal. Because, Jindal.

Or he could say literally anything at all about it.

Shageletic posted:

The effect can be divided into the long and near term. Near term: it dealt a blow to attempts to get a veto proof bill together on the Iran negotiations during March (also hurt by Bibi's speech, and various Republican maneuvers in the Senate). In the long term? Who knows, but it does add to a narrative that is discernable to people beyond hardcore partisans.

My concern is that it will add to the idea that the GOP can work to sabotage the Obama administrations foreign policy with no repercussions. As I've said I don't think that this letter, while seriously bad form, is going to collapse US foreign policy, but it's the second time that Congressional Republicans have committed massive breaches of diplomatic protocol and I'm worried what their next step will be.

• Locked thread