Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Helmholz posted:

Post everything.

I'm sure you guys would get a kick out of it, but it'd only make things worse. It'd add a shade of legitimacy to what is, ultimately, someone faking empty insults at themselves instead of actually addressing his problems. And 'empty insults' is truly the extent of it; he's not even claiming to be threatened, or that things have escalated, or anything like that, the most he can fake-aim at himself is 'people don't like me and want me to leave'. And that somehow people are harassing him on Steam over such.

It's honestly not even a fun type of terrible right now, it's just broken-record complaining until someone finally proves he's full of poo poo. If that happens, I'll gladly share it with you guys, but right now it'd only serve to bore and annoy people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Jesus Christ what is wrong with you. A. I wouldn't think anyone would find it difficult to believe that someone is being harassed while playing video games after the last few months, B. if they aren't it's no concern of yours, and C. they don't owe you poo poo and don't have to prove anything. Leave them the gently caress alone.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Cleretic posted:

I'm sure you guys would get a kick out of it, but it'd only make things worse. It'd add a shade of legitimacy to what is, ultimately, someone faking empty insults at themselves instead of actually addressing his problems. And 'empty insults' is truly the extent of it; he's not even claiming to be threatened, or that things have escalated, or anything like that, the most he can fake-aim at himself is 'people don't like me and want me to leave'. And that somehow people are harassing him on Steam over such.

It's honestly not even a fun type of terrible right now, it's just broken-record complaining until someone finally proves he's full of poo poo. If that happens, I'll gladly share it with you guys, but right now it'd only serve to bore and annoy people.

Surely people going to places to try and dig up dirt on him adds a bit of credit to his claims.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Cleretic posted:

Thanks for posting.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I was kinda surprised that nobody in this thread had anything to say so far about this month's Game Director's letter, where Bylos says he's stepping back to focus on "new initiative" at Funcom.

It's heavily implied in there that TSW simply won't have an active game director. I'm thinking they'll kick Issue 11 out the door in the next few months and then expect maintenance mode.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

macnbc posted:

So I was kinda surprised that nobody in this thread had anything to say so far about this month's Game Director's letter, where Bylos says he's stepping back to focus on "new initiative" at Funcom.

It's heavily implied in there that TSW simply won't have an active game director. I'm thinking they'll kick Issue 11 out the door in the next few months and then expect maintenance mode.

I didn't see it pop up on my Facebook feed yet but I figure it's full of the customary "fluff up minor QoL things to make them sound super important"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

guppy posted:

Jesus Christ what is wrong with you. A. I wouldn't think anyone would find it difficult to believe that someone is being harassed while playing video games after the last few months, B. if they aren't it's no concern of yours, and C. they don't owe you poo poo and don't have to prove anything. Leave them the gently caress alone.

Pesterchum posted:

Surely people going to places to try and dig up dirt on him adds a bit of credit to his claims.

Helmholz posted:

Thanks for posting.

Look, fuckers, some of us enjoy reading the E/N-level adventures of A Goon On A Mission trying to ferret out ~dirty RPer sockpuppets~. Why can't you just let us have the last bit of enjoyment this game can bring: watching goons wallow in their own poo poo.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Speaking of wallowing in poo poo, what's the latest goon cabal and can you please invite CultureToilet

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

macnbc posted:

A post from the oforums discussing the letter:

quote:

FYI, Joel's duties in regards to TSW are being divided between the various team leads (Tilty, Scriv, Drivak and Nophex). If you notice in Joel's letter, he mentions that this has been "in the works" since the start of 2015. So, while it feels "sudden" to us, it is something the team has been preparing for over the last couple of months.

Thread link

I have a feeling a the games future really depends on how the coming revamps affect the player base.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Bombogenesis posted:

A post from the oforums discussing the letter:

Thread link

I have a feeling a the games future really depends on how the coming revamps affect the player base.

It's been mentioned before but people really need to tame their expectations regarding the future of this game. Sure, Funcom will try to milk the setting as a vehicle for more micro-transactions, but if you feel like there's going to be any sweeping investment the core of the game you should just take a look at the company's financial statements: http://www.funcom.com/investors/funcoms_fourth_quarter_financial_report_for_2014

Or, if you just want to look at how the stock has performed...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

macnbc posted:

The discussion on the forums, with the devs chiming in, makes it all but clear that nobody is really at the head any longer. Keep your expectations at zero.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

guppy posted:

Yeah, I admit this doesn't make me look like a good guy. I could defend myself on this, you'd actually be hard-pressed to find a more toxic member of the RP community even ignoring the whole 'complaining about potentially-nonexistent harassment' thing, but that's all going to make me look even worse without conclusive proof, which is something I can't get. Even taking that into account, this is still a person dealing with undiagnosed mental issues, extremely blatant to anybody who knows him, and yeah, targeting him like this will not help.

I return you to your regularly scheduled doomsaying about a game that's clearly circling the drain, and now no longer has anybody in a position capable of fixing it.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I admit this doesn't make me look like a good guy. I could defend myself on this, you'd actually be hard-pressed to find a more toxic member of the RP community even ignoring the whole 'complaining about potentially-nonexistent harassment' thing, but that's all going to make me look even worse without conclusive proof, which is something I can't get. Even taking that into account, this is still a person dealing with undiagnosed mental issues, extremely blatant to anybody who knows him, and yeah, targeting him like this will not help.

I return you to your regularly scheduled doomsaying about a game that's clearly circling the drain, and now no longer has anybody in a position capable of fixing it.

gently caress offfffff

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Go to sleep child. The forever sleep.

I'd make a TSW Lore appropriate way to telling you to die but I only played as far as blue mountain so I don't remember most of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Candiru posted:

Go to sleep child. The forever sleep.

I'd make a TSW Lore appropriate way to telling you to die but I only played as far as blue mountain so I don't remember most of it.

"Go choke on blackworm jism. I hear it tastes like diet coke." ?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Speaking as a former CoX player, please change your avatar if you're going to continue to be this creepy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
This is really cool: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/enhanced_player_experience

Anyone know any particular details? Are the starter decks actually useful now?

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

"Quality of Life" Update: Anima Leap <-- Is this working yet?

Edit: Oh, this is TODAY'S update. Looks like I decided to start playing again at just the right time.

Flavor Truck fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 11, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Brave New World posted:

Speaking as a former CoX player, please change your avatar if you're going to continue to be this creepy.

Dude, I loved CoX, but 90% of the goons playing it after the 2nd year were gigantic creepers when they all moved to the RP server

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Hey, let's all talk about the possibility of creating a cabal again..

Flavor Truck fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 11, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

It's been mentioned before but people really need to tame their expectations regarding the future of this game. Sure, Funcom will try to milk the setting as a vehicle for more micro-transactions, but if you feel like there's going to be any sweeping investment the core of the game you should just take a look at the company's financial statements: http://www.funcom.com/investors/funcoms_fourth_quarter_financial_report_for_2014

Or, if you just want to look at how the stock has performed...

:stare: So, do they have a driving need to hang out with THQ or something?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Hey guys, Born Leader was buffed again. poo poo just got real!

edit: Do or Die is now a forced root, with the option to cancel the buff and root with a second keypress. RIP

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 11, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

flatluigi posted:

This is really cool: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/enhanced_player_experience

Anyone know any particular details? Are the starter decks actually useful now?

This actually makes the game look appealing. Faster combat at least is something that takes some of the tedium out of the game. The combat in this game was one of its worst features. I shouldn't have to unload a shotgun into the skull of a zombie ten times to put it down.

Also holy loving poo poo at that stock graph. :stare:

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
That graph just makes me wonder how Funcom has managed to remain solvent.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Le Saboteur posted:

That graph just makes me wonder how Funcom has managed to remain solvent.

Remember that stock price is determined by the opinions of people in the stock-market business; it's not an objective measure of corporate success or failure.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Regarding the faster combat: it looks like they de-nightmared the Transylvania circuit of missions. I might update and see how difficult things like Girl Who Kicked the Vampires Nest and Cost of Magic are now.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HughGRect posted:

Regarding the faster combat: it looks like they de-nightmared the Transylvania circuit of missions. I might update and see how difficult things like Girl Who Kicked the Vampires Nest and Cost of Magic are now.

That's good to hear, I've been dragging my feet on finishing up City of the Sun God because I'd heard horror stories of Transylvania.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

HughGRect posted:

Don't kid yourself. The Cost of Magic will never be easy.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
They are adjusting AOE abilities to do less damage but hit 1 more target. Hopefully it's not a huge nerf, but I guess with mob HP reduction the time to kill will even out. I don't get why they didn't reduce mob count instead of reducing mob HP. Less mobs that are more difficult actually add to intensity. More mobs with less HP just make it a grind. 1 or 2 Akhababababababab to avoid while creeping through the woods on the savage coast would have been fun, getting knocked down repeatedly by 15 akakakbakakbak while doing a completely different mission wasn't.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Not mine, saw it retweeted by the official TSW twitter, but if this is any indication of the tutorial quality, it'll help a lot:

(sorry for the lovely small image, twitter :shrug:)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hell yeah.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

TracerM17 posted:

They are adjusting AOE abilities to do less damage but hit 1 more target. Hopefully it's not a huge nerf, but I guess with mob HP reduction the time to kill will even out. I don't get why they didn't reduce mob count instead of reducing mob HP. Less mobs that are more difficult actually add to intensity. More mobs with less HP just make it a grind. 1 or 2 Akhababababababab to avoid while creeping through the woods on the savage coast would have been fun, getting knocked down repeatedly by 15 akakakbakakbak while doing a completely different mission wasn't.

Balancing mob density against the level architecture while keeping the game interesting in all the various different areas is actually a fair bit more difficult than doing an across the board rebalance on attacks. There are plenty of areas where reducing mob count would render an area nearly empty of life for instance. Plus there wouldn't be as big of a noticeable change to returning players if they did that. And the game kind of needs evidence of large sweeping changes if they want to coax people into coming back and playing it.

Besides which, the Ak'ab are practically mascots for this game now. I've yet to meet anyone who played the game that didn't act like they wanted to launch into a violent fit of cursing when they were mentioned. Do you really want to take the joy of being stun locked by charges away from new players?

Edit: Also, this is setting aside the fact that the combat system does in fact suck unless you min max. Especially later on when the game starts repeatedly striking you in the balls for making bad choices in your build. Reducing the time to kill is something they really needed to do to help counter some of the bullshit the game throws at you.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 11, 2015

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Pretty pumped about this, had held off on starting into Transylvania as I heard it was quite difficult.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Archonex posted:

Besides which, the Ak'ab are practically mascots for this game now. I've yet to meet anyone who played the game that didn't act like they wanted to launch into a violent fit of cursing when they were mentioned. Do you really want to take the joy of being stun locked by charges away from new players?

You make a fair point.

Zombies wouldn't be the same without a higher mob density, but one of my pet peeves as I got late game was running through zones and having to kill 5x everything every 20 feet while trying to figure out a new mission, only to have to retrace my steps to get to the next objective and kill those same 5x mobs spaced 20 feet apart. Also, if you just sit still and stay outside of say 10 feet of them, even if you were in plain LOS they wouldn't come after you. So I guess what I'm saying is: MY IMMERSION :spergin:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

Pretty pumped about this, had held off on starting into Transylvania as I heard it was quite difficult.

Transylvania isn't really difficult until the last zone so long as you maintain some situational awareness and understand that you should be swapping skills out to counter certain types of enemies. Once you hit the last zone though you can easily find yourself wandering into quest zones that have mobs with immunity to certain types of debuffs and can crush you without heavy kiting and other tricks. At that point you just have to suck it up and be ready to run until you've got better gear.

At the very least the first zone is filled with ridiculous :black101: moments that you should see. Like the survivors from a group of campers taking on a pack of werewolves with a chainsaw and a sniper rifle. They nailed the theme of those zones really well.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 11, 2015

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

prefect posted:

Remember that stock price is determined by the opinions of people in the stock-market business; it's not an objective measure of corporate success or failure.

So yeah, you could try to make some elegant argument about other quantitative measures of a company value being a better "objective measure" of corporate success or failure, but most investors integrate that information and influence company stock price. I reference the company's investors web page, which include detailed financial statements, all of which really indicate the company is *not* doing well and right now their best game plan is to continue to develop some lego game http://www.playminifigures.com/

In other words, the company had "objectively" a *NET LOSS* of 10 MILLION DOLLARS last year. Their revenue dropped in HALF (21.4m in 2013 to 12.6m in 2014).

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Honestly I think Funcom's problems can be traced back to Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

Apparently the game sold poorly but got pirated an awful lot. So Funcom said that was the last offline single player game they were going to make and that they were going to just do online MMOs after that, since those are much harder to pirate.

The end result was things like Secret World which would've made an absolutely fantastic single player game but were shoehorned into being an MMO instead.

Basically they had a serious problem but went about solving it in the most rear end-backwards way imaginable and blew through millions of dollars doing it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Archonex posted:

Don't kid yourself. The Cost of Magic will never be easy.

Cost of magic is easy as long as you remember that you are immortal. The only hard part is jumping.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sekenr posted:

Cost of magic is easy as long as you remember that you are immortal. The only hard part is jumping.

Did they ever fix the part where falling in a put while dead would get you stuck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Not sure if it's because I never learned how to properly play, but Blue Mountain is still a huge difficulty wall after Savage Coast.

• Locked thread