Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Downs Duck posted:

I have no idea, and I seem to recall having the same problems as you had with it. It would be nice if Steam tried to clean up a little; one thing is the subjective quality of games being accepted, but games not working at all or having you jump through hoops like this, shouldn't be sold in the first place.

Yeah it really is annoying even when it does work. I don't really have the luxury of sitting in front of a PC any longer so the rare times I have a chance to play a PC game, I do it by streaming to a different spot in the house (on my NVidia Shield portable, or if the TV isn't being occupied, a FireTV running Limelight or my NVidia Shield portable plugged in over HDMI). Anyway, these stupid log in screens make it a real pain in the rear end to play games like Max Payne 3, GTA IV (it was almost impossible last time I tried), and of course anything with U-Play. I really wish there was some way to get rid of it, and it's not even because of the principle of logging into 1 player games in the first place (which is a completely separate thing). It's that it makes streaming a pain in the rear end and requires using a mouse and keyboard and all sorts of other stupid crap that games without required logins do not have.

Maybe once the Steam console that streams comes out (I haven't been following) they will finally get a fire under their rear end to tell game makers to stop doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer

CommissarMega posted:

Just popping in to say that I've been peen playing Defense Grid 2 on Steam, it's amazing, and if you like tower defense games of any sort, you need to play this.

Defense Grid 2 isn't bad but somehow manages to be worse than the first game in that:
a) The graphics are worse because they make it harder to distinguish different enemy types.
b) The tower mechanics are more obtuse and some strategies that worked in the first game don't work in the second one for no clear reason.
c) The voice acting is ridiculous. The designers apparently thought "hey, people liked our crazy lone AI in the first game, so clearly we should have six different AIs that bicker among themselves throughout each mission, and also we should make the raspberries joke from the first game a critical plot point".

In spite of this, it's a good game when you get used to the new graphics and tower mechanics, and the later levels are better than the early ones. Still, many people felt that the sequel missed the mark.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Maybe once the Steam console that streams comes out (I haven't been following) they will finally get a fire under their rear end to tell game makers to stop doing it.

Something I've always wondered is why devs like Rockstar even bother with a secondary anti-piracy login system (Rockstar Social). Same goes for Ubisoft, except you know they're priming to transition all their stuff to Uplay-only eventually. Is Steam not enough of an anti-piracy-DRM scheme anymore?

I haven't kept up with piracy since Steam made it easier to download and play games (in most cases, sorry Uncle).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Palpek posted:

Somebody make a rundown of interesting games coming out in March please.

DUNGEON FIGHTER ONLINE BITCHES

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

One can only hope, although I doubt they will. In the age of what should be turning gaming into as simple, streamlined and convenient a service as possible, more and more developers/publishers seems to miss the boat. At least have the games working before you sell them, pretty please with sugar on top.

Snuffman posted:

Something I've always wondered is why devs like Rockstar even bother with a secondary anti-piracy login system (Rockstar Social). Same goes for Ubisoft, except you know they're priming to transition all their stuff to Uplay-only eventually. Is Steam not enough of an anti-piracy-DRM scheme anymore?

I haven't kept up with piracy since Steam made it easier to download and play games (in most cases, sorry Uncle).

Yeah, absolutely agree. The Social Club thing made me skip Max Payne 3, although it might be good/great. You know what else is good/great? Dozens of other games, that does not have that BS.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 11, 2015

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

:frogon:

Snuffman posted:

The big problem with Steam's DRM is that it's very much a known quantity, and as such takes about five seconds to crack. With that said, it still has a perfect record for preventing pre-launch leaks (it's just that it's completely useless after launch). Subsequently, there has been something of an increase in additional DRM recently, most notably Lords of the Fallen using SecuROM 2 and recent Football Manager games using an in-house solution.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Delusibeta posted:

The big problem with Steam's DRM is that it's very much a known quantity, and as such takes about five seconds to crack. With that said, it still has a perfect record for preventing pre-launch leaks (it's just that it's completely useless after launch). Subsequently, there has been something of an increase in additional DRM recently, most notably Lords of the Fallen using SecuROM 2 and recent Football Manager games using an in-house solution.

Thanks for the heads-up, no need to ever buy Lords of the Fallen then. Any reason why Enhanced Steam doesn't show a warning for it, like with GfWL games?

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002
I spent almost 3 hours playing Carmageddon Reincarnated last night. They've done a great job of capturing the feel of the original and the performance issues from all the sequels.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, no need to ever buy Lords of the Fallen then. Any reason why Enhanced Steam doesn't show a warning for it, like with GfWL games?

Plenty of reasons to buy it actually, for instance Securom 2 doesn't do any of the horrifying poo poo that Securom did, it's just stupid. It's also a really good game.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Downs Duck posted:

Yeah, absolutely agree. The Social Club thing made me skip Max Payne 3, although it might be good/great. You know what else is good/great? Dozens of other games, that does not have that BS.

Myself, I've never had a problem with Rockstar Social, though GTA4 was absolutely ridiculous: Games for Windows Live, Steam (admittedly not really a login) AND Rockstar Social? Also Max Payne is very good and you should try it.

I don't mind login into silly services if the game will just remember my logon, but it does get a bit ridiculous signing up for a new service every time I buy a game.

Delusibeta posted:

Maybe I'm just remembering ANTI-PIRACY-RHETORIC but I always thought the no.1 thing that publishers were trying to prevent was the pre-release leak. Post leak, not so much. I suppose a lot of these secondary logins are about value-added services,like multiplayer, to discourage piracy. I'm pretty sure Rockstar Social was JUST for multiplayer on GTA4, and wasn't required.

I've noticed a rise in secondary anti-piracy options, its a bummer cause PC gaming is a grand new frontier again and the publishers are still howling "PIRACY!".

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

W-wait, what? I played this game like four years ago. Has it been in beta this whole time?

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 11, 2015

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

If you aren't aware, DFO's original developer, Neople, has secured the rights to the game from Nexon NA and is bringing the game to a global client with a beta beginning on March 24. The game will be significantly updated from the NA version (it's unclear but it appears to be a post-Metastasis build, Metastasis being a WoW Cataclysm style total overhaul) with new classes included. So much has changed that a full re-translation was necessary, but I'm not sure how good it will be, as Neople's English abilities seem a little lacking. No English VA yet, either. Might come in the future. I'm expecting a pretty rocky start- Neople has never published or handled the maintenance of a game themselves before- but they are committed to the game and they're Not Nexon.

If you don't know what DFO is, imagine the world's greatest beat 'em up, mixed with fighting game elements and tossed into a massive (instanced dungeon based) MMO with a huge variety of zones and something insane like 42 classes that all play completely different from one another. It's the best game ever made.

FutonForensic posted:

W-wait, what? I played this game like four years ago. Has it been in beta this whole time?

Nexon killed DFO two years ago, the developer Neople is bringing it back in updated, modernized form. It's a massively better game than it was in 2011. See above.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pillars of Eternity is the only RPG anyone is going to need all year.(maybe next year too)

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Dangeon Footer Awnline

I remember it having pretty fun combat, but like Vindictus I got turned off by all the grinding and adbots overflowing the hub's chatroom. Any indication that it's been improved since those early days?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Deakul posted:

Pillars of Eternity is the only RPG anyone is going to need all year.(maybe next year too)
Witcher 3 is going to own too though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

I remember it having pretty fun combat, but like Vindictus I got turned off by all the grinding and adbots overflowing the hub's chatroom. Any indication that it's been improved since those early days?

Adbots will probably always be a thing. As for the grind, I don't know when you last played it but it has been hugely reduced since the first few versions. It's possible for a relatively sane person to reach level cap in a month if you want.

Edit: I will say that if you're on the fence about DFO, wait a while until jumping on DFO Global. Neople is going to take some time to learn the ropes of publishing and maintaining an MMO.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

Witcher 3 is going to own too though.

I haven't played much of Witcher 2 and didn't like Witcher 1 that much so :shrug: not relevant to me.
If someone can sell Witcher 2 to me to get me to play it that'd be cool though! :gerty:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

I haven't played much of Witcher 2 and didn't like Witcher 1 that much so :shrug: not relevant to me.
If someone can sell Witcher 2 to me to get me to play it that'd be cool though! :gerty:

It is a legitimately well told story and realized world on a non-video game level of quality, coupled with an extremely pretty game and a fun but not incredible combat system. :shrug:

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

Deakul posted:

There is a dwarf in it at one point.
There was a bug that involved villagers standing round with no trousers, not sure if it was fixed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Inevitablelongshot posted:

There was a bug that involved villagers standing round with no trousers, not sure if it was fixed.
It was 'fixed' by CDProjekt stating that it was not a bug but a feature.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Deakul posted:

There's naked boobs in it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Snuffman posted:

Something I've always wondered is why devs like Rockstar even bother with a secondary anti-piracy login system (Rockstar Social). Same goes for Ubisoft, except you know they're priming to transition all their stuff to Uplay-only eventually.

I figured as much but I don't know how they plan on doing that. Is Ubisoft going to have the rights to release Valve and Capcom games or something? If not, there will always be Steam. How do they plan on transferring everyone's Steam purchases to UPlay?

Downs Duck posted:

One can only hope, although I doubt they will. In the age of what should be turning gaming into as simple, streamlined and convenient a service as possible

This is why I think the Steam console would have to put an end to that. No one is going to want to mess around with their TV's screen flickering between resolutions when UPlay pops up and then having to use some on-screen mouse and keyboard to type in their e-mail address and password.

Seriously game developers that do this are nuts; the first time I finally had time to beat Resident Evil 4 (been trying since it came out on the Gamecube) was when I got it on Steam and was able to stream it.

I mean technically you can stream UPlay and Rockstar games but it's so janky and obnoxious when streaming to a TV or handheld that it will completely turn people off to the idea if a majority of their games end up doing it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If you like stupid crazy beat em ups and you enjoy making so much crazy poo poo happen that you can't tell where your character is, you'll love dungeon fighter online.

It's good.

It's p much the d&d arcade games mixed with streets of rage but as a free to play mmo and the f2p elements are only poo poo like cosmetic items and storage stuff and a few other small things like that. And with way more explosions.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Downs Duck posted:

Uh I've played LotF and I don't remember having to log in through any additional drm

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But no yeah you should spite games on anything other than the gameplay lmao

Orv
May 4, 2011

frank.club posted:

Uh I've played LotF and I don't remember having to log in through any additional drm

It's not a login layer or anything, it and Dragon Age: Inquisition use the same Denuvo thingamajig.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it's honestly not noticeable. Now if you're talking how good LotF is as a game then you still might not like it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

frank.club posted:

Yeah it's honestly not noticeable. Now if you're talking how good LotF is as a game then you still might not like it.

LotF was a good game. :smith:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lords of the Fallen vs Bound by Flame? Which is better?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

Lords of the Fallen vs Bound by Flame? Which is better?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Well, I haven't tried either and they were both being somehow compared to Dark Souls by their fanbases so...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was thinking about getting Blade Kitten, but it just looks so unfun. It reminds me of the video game version of a Tokyopop OEL manga. "Jump, ocasionally wack someone who can hardly hit you with a sword, jump, listen to dialogue that sounds like it came from a show aimed at ten year old girls, jump".

Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

Well, I haven't tried either and they were both being somehow compared to Dark Souls by their fanbases so...

The Bound By Flame comparisons to Dark Souls were pretty much the devs trying to ride that train, they're nothing alike. LotF is basically Souls-lite and does a remarkably good job of it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not bad but it's not super great.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm waiting till Lords of the Fallen gets a big discount but I bet it's going to happen when Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin and Bloodborne come out. :v:

From what I've heard LotF is good, but not great. No idea about Bound by Flame.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Bound by Flame is poo poo. Please don't ever buy or play it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Palpek posted:

What, in a, "Dark Souls is really good, Bound by Flame is terrible" kind of way?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you don't know what DFO is, imagine the world's greatest beat 'em up, mixed with fighting game elements and tossed into a massive (instanced dungeon based) MMO with a huge variety of zones and something insane like 42 classes that all play completely different from one another. It's the best game ever made.

So, in short, it's basically Dragon's Crown: The MMO. Consider me interested.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Bound by Flame, Dark Souls like?

HAHHAHSHSHSHAAA

That piece of trash is a paint by numbers RPG that had no skill whatsoever to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Orv posted:

The Bound By Flame comparisons to Dark Souls were pretty much the devs trying to ride that train, they're nothing alike. LotF is basically Souls-lite and does a remarkably good job of it.
Now that I was looking for some examples I found something along the lines of 'it's like Dark Souls or Kingdom of Amalur' so lol.

• Locked thread