Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I do think that Istambul was too much copy-pasted and it was especially visible after how amazing Rome was. Tower defense bits requires for you to complete like 2 levels including the tutorial and afterwards you can avoid it altogether so it wasn't much of a thing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Beware of gloomy arctic caves promising riches" is some real Brothers Grimm poo poo. (Prosperity fragments)

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Deakul posted:

Holy poo poo.
So, I guess instead of Mayans or Native Americans as the background cultural motif this time it's the Norse?

The Norse/Viking armor is unlocked by opening remotely scattered chests. Unfortunately no other mention (that I remember). The cultural motif of Rogue is ice and sweet airguns.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If anything Black Flag 3 should be set in the Viking world. This would own both as an Assassin's Creed setting and sailing environment.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The Norse/Viking armor is unlocked by opening remotely scattered chests. Unfortunately no other mention (that I remember). The cultural motif of Rogue is ice and sweet airguns.

Newfoundland and New Brunswick seem icier than I remember.

Palpek posted:

If anything Black Flag 3 should be set in the Viking world. This would own both as an Assassin's Creed setting and sailing environment.

I can see this happening.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Palpek posted:

If anything Black Flag 3 should be set on the Viking planet. This would own both as an Assassin's Creed setting and sailing environment.

With the obvious problem that the Viking's didn't build cities for anyone to climb on.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

Oh my God, commandeering a badass decked out longship and launching raiding parties on towns.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Arglebargle III posted:

With the obvious problem that the Viking's didn't build cities for anyone to climb on.
With the range of their expeditions they could easily visit one.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I actually just got a sound file from one of the computers in Rogue in which a character describes going into the Animus and taking part in the Viking raid on Lindisfarne. So there is a bit of precedent.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I really want that 20s AC game from the start of Unity if only to tommy gun driveby some random pedestrians and immediately desync.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nckdictator posted:

So, how's everyone finding Rogue? (Waiting for a sale to pick it up, guess this summer?) I really like the idea of river sailing. Also, just because I like Pretty Assassin Templar Dress Up, how's the customization this time around, same as Black Flag?

Best AC game I've played yet, I think. However, I've discovered that I still loving hate stealth ship missions.

Also, I'm having trouble with one thing. Shay just sorta slides into being a Templar. He doesn't struggle with it or anything, it seems. "My goodness, I helped a guy with crosses on his clothes, and now my ship seems to be bedecked with Templar crosses. Oh well, kill all Assassins, allahu akbar." Now, I'm only on Sequence 3, so maybe I haven't seen everything yet, but it seems way too smooth, his transition.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 11, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Best AC game I've played yet, I think. However, I've discovered that I still loving hate stealth ship missions.

Also, I'm having trouble with one thing. Shay just sorta slides into being a Templar. He doesn't struggle with it or anything, it seems. "My goodness, I helped a guy with crosses on his clothes, and now my ship seems to be bedecked with Templar crosses." Now, I'm only on Sequence 3, so maybe I haven't seen everything yet, but it seems way too smooth, his transition.

It kind of gets passed off as "Oh I didn't know Templars were all about masonic symbolism, woops!" when they eventually go "So hey, we're Templars, wanna be a Templar, we've known you were an Assassin all along". Not in exactly that way and it's more drawn out than a single mission but that's sort of the vibe they go with. That pesky pre-initiation second-feelings cult issue again.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Shay always sounds like the worst part of Rogue.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I want to pick up Unity as it's the only AC game I've not paid - where is the best and cheapest place to get it? I assume that by now, it has to be almost or entirely fixed and working, and be as enjoyable as AC2 with running around.

Orv
May 4, 2011

iGestalt posted:

I want to pick up Unity as it's the only AC game I've not paid - where is the best and cheapest place to get it? I assume that by now, it has to be almost or entirely fixed and working, and be as enjoyable as AC2 with running around.

The console versions function, albeit shakily, and the PC is fair to middling if you have a monster rig. Keep an eye on Isthereanydeal which is currently reporting $37 as the lowest available.

The Grimace posted:

Pretty much. He's like Connor, naive in his motivations to an illogical extreme, but from a different point of view and upbringing. He's a more likeable character at least, since he doesn't go on to no end about his naivety, so they learned that much at least, it's just story beats.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Orv posted:

The console versions function, albeit shakily, and the PC is fair to middling if you have a monster rig. Keep an eye on Isthereanydeal which is currently reporting $37 as the lowest available.

Pretty much. He's like Connor, naive in his motivations to an illogical extreme, but from a different point of view and upbringing. He's a more likeable character at least, since he doesn't go on to no end about his naivety, so they learned that much at least, it's just story beats.

Thanks for the info. Speaking of protagonists, how is Arno in Unity?

Orv
May 4, 2011

iGestalt posted:

Thanks for the info. Speaking of protagonists, how is Arno in Unity?

The best bits of Edward and Ezio with none of the downsides except your typical protagonist blind spots.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Orv posted:

The best bits of Edward and Ezio with none of the downsides except your typical protagonist blind spots.

Wow. That sounds like a really, really good Protagonist. I like Shay enough in Rogue, but he is no Edward or Ezio. Still a cool dude with a nice accent.

Edit: Oh and, how long is Unity? AC2 or Rogue length? I'm assuming quite long since it's their ~Big New Amazing Next-Gen Faceless Simulator~

Orv
May 4, 2011
Arno's really, really good. It's a gigantic crime that of the two things Unity got right, the parkour will live on and Arno will be forgotten among the otherwise mid-grade story and everything else about that game.

E: Unity'll run you about 15-18 hours if you mainline the story.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Orv posted:

Arno's really, really good. It's a gigantic crime that of the two things Unity got right, the parkour will live on and Arno will be forgotten among the otherwise mid-grade story and everything else about that game.

E: Unity'll run you about 15-18 hours if you mainline the story.

Well, at least Ubi can write good Protags. Two misses and Three hits so far? (Well, in this series)

Side content? Sorry to ask all the dumb questions, but I like to know how much pointless OCD poo poo I can get up to in video games.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking as someone for whom AC is the only game series that inspires the completionist attitude, AC:U has way too much poo poo. Way, way too much poo poo.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Orv posted:

Speaking as someone for whom AC is the only game series that inspires the completionist attitude, AC:U has way too much poo poo. Way, way too much poo poo.

Fantastic and also terrifying. Thank you for the advice. I will most likely pick it up later this month after I've done with Rogue.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I'm not sure if Orv's yanking your chain, Arno is really bland. Unity would have been far more interesting if Elise was the protagonist, Arno just seems to be along for the ride. He is superficially like Ezio, yet has no depth and the story doesn't really take him anywhere interesting. If you look back in the thread you'll see that plenty of people think that Arno is a completely milquetoast character.

I wouldn't even say the parkour is better in Unity. Now that I'm playing Rogue I'm having far fewer frustrating moments where my character jumps up onto a surface I wasn't aiming for, or jumps away from what appears to be a clear path. Arno was constantly getting stuck on an edge or jumping off what seemed to be straightforward rooftop path. I remember having similar problems in 3, so I imagine it is that they've had several games on the same iteration of the engine to improve the parkour flow for Rogue, while Unity hasn't. It is satisfying to have more control of my character in Rogue though, Shay actually follows the path I intend which was a constant source of frustration in Unity.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

I'm not sure if Orv's yanking your chain, Arno is really bland. Unity would have been far more interesting if Elise was the protagonist, Arno just seems to be along for the ride. He is superficially like Ezio, yet has no depth and the story doesn't really take him anywhere interesting. If you look back in the thread you'll see that plenty of people think that Arno is a completely milquetoast character.

Column A, column B. Having finally struggled through AC3 prior to playing Unity and now playing Rogue the lens back to Unity is making me way fonder of Arno because Shay is just Connor who only bitches when appropriate instead of all the time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Arno is ok but there's like no exposition of his motivation and backstory except for some childhood bits, he's not even close to Ezio's arc. He's back to scoundrel type at least and has attitude I'll give you that but not much more.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
A lot of people I know who've played Unity like Arno—I do, too. I just don't bother to jump into the thread all "NO HE IS GREAT!!!" because that kind of thing is so terribly subjective and ultimately comes down to personal taste. He does have less of a distinctive hook than Ezio (revenge) or Edward (stealing all the treasure that isn't nailed down)—in Unity, Elise is the revenge-crazed one while Arno is trying to make up for his past careless fuckup.

On paper, Shay has the more compelling character arc, but I find myself wanting to slap him a lot more than Arno, because despite (or because of) his desire to do good, he's incredibly easily manipulated and makes a few fuckups of his own that he then writes off as inevitable or someone else's fault. In Unity, Arno's mistakes blow up in his face more, so the narrative basically slaps him for me.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Never change, Assassin's Creed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmTG-fzEaw0

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Hahahaha, see, occasional bugs like that can make a good game great.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

effervescible posted:

On paper, Shay has the more compelling character arc, but I find myself wanting to slap him a lot more than Arno, because despite (or because of) his desire to do good, he's incredibly easily manipulated and makes a few fuckups of his own that he then writes off as inevitable or someone else's fault. In Unity, Arno's mistakes blow up in his face more, so the narrative basically slaps him for me.

I think Shay would've been much better if he had a longer story arc. Or you start at the 'I'm a Templar' and see the flashback so what drove him to reach that point. Or something - it's rushed.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

iGestalt posted:

I think Shay would've been much better if he had a longer story arc. Or you start at the 'I'm a Templar' and see the flashback so what drove him to reach that point. Or something - it's rushed.

I'd be happy with the same length/structure but a bit more reflection. Yeah, Shay does the "Well, maybe I am a monster, but so be it" thing when accused of it, but he never seems to realize "Hey, these guys knew I was an Assassin when they showered me with praise while I was ignorant of their Templar allegiance—perhaps that was not done out of 100% sincere appreciation for me" or wonder if maybe things would have gone better with the Assassins if he hadn't screamed at them and then immediately robbed them. I don't blame him for being super pissed off—if nothing else, the Assassins are guilty of negligence for not being more loving careful about the Pieces of Eden they were after in this game. But by the end it's pretty clear that Achilles didn't actually know what would happen, so he isn't the monster Shay's been shouting about the whole game.

Basically I don't think the game paints either side as straight-up bad guys, even though the Assassins are the antagonists in it, but Shay has some distinct blind spots. It would have been nice to see him recognize them but still stay a Templar because he believes in their ideology more now anyway.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Palpek posted:

Do this, then have a rad shieldmaiden templar for the main character.

Arglebargle III posted:

No, but a hell of a lot of other people the Vikings visited did. :v:

Also I miss the climbing jump boost power glove from one of the Ezio games. Plus it looked super cool, just that big gently caress off gauntlet on your fist. Hell yeah.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Other than the improved free-running, the thing I did like about Unity was the map, the way you could have it as a bird's-eye view, but you could also zoom in an make it all 3D. Good work, map designers.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

Elise too. Her character is so great it's a shame she didn't get a better game.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

The Grimace posted:

The entire Templar part of Rogue is the worst part of Rogue. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Black Flag's modern segments are hilarious--the game is literally spawned from abusing Desmond's corpse, your superiors are always full of poo poo, the corporation you work for is ridiculously wealthy and incredibly incompetent and the moment things go wrong and your project starts into crunch time you're locked into a loving doomsday bunker to keep working without ever worrying about things like "social interaction" and "sunlight." I can scarcely imagine what it's actually like to work for Ubisoft.

The fact that Rogue just kind of takes all of this stuff and nods at it blankly without adding anything of value will always leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

HaitianDivorce posted:

I can scarcely imagine what it's actually like to work for Ubisoft.
There are a few points in the game that almost felt like a cry for help. Just off the top of my head, you find:

- An initiation brochure that lays out the horrible vacation policies and tries to put a positive spin on the hours they expect their employees to work.
- The email you find between a couple of the higher ups talking about employee morale dropping due to the hours being worked where one mentions placating them by buying them pizza and 'sneaking in' some alcohol.
- The note you get from a new hire that says something like, "Stop whining about the working conditions and pay, we get to make video games for a living!" Which, as I understand, is how so many game studios get away with paying their employees far less than they'd make working for non-gaming software companies.

It was kind of funny how on the nose it felt, and makes me think someone should probably go check and make sure Ubisoft isn't keeping any of their employees in detention cells next to the server rooms.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Orv posted:

What? Arno is utterly generic.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Orv posted:

I love AC and 100% synced every game from 2 on, including Liberation and 3 (which, contrary to goon opinion, I liked--but ugh, that 100% was awful). I haven't even installed Unity to PS4 yet in part because I am terrified

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A friend of mine worked for Microsoft for a while and quickly became friends with some of their game developer guys. During crunch time the company would wheel in kegs for Friday work parties... that kept everyone at the office and working.

gently caress me gently, I have entirely too many friends in entirely too many industries that require entirely too much of their employees.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I don't hate Arno, but after playing through Unity to its conclusion, I definitely feel that he was rather boring compared to other AC characters. 90% of his characterization is definitely in the first chapter of the game, which is disappointing considering they were clearly trying to make another Ezio out of him. He's still leaps and bounds ahead of Connor.

Elise really is the star of Unity in terms of character development. End spoilers: Ubisoft dropped the ball big-time by killing her. What the gently caress, guys. It was so drat predictable and it was handled so badly.

I hope that Ubisoft giving control of the next AC's development to Quebec will bring some much-needed new blood to the formula. People keep saying the new parkour mechanics in Unity are great, and I guess they're okay, but I didn't really care so much about that compared to how utterly boring and stagnant the fighting was. They literally could have kept combat the exact same as AC4 and I'd have been happy. I think that that, combined with ship battles, is why Rogue is being held in such high regard in comparison to Unity. Rogue is actually fun, even if it's re-using assets. It's using a formula that works, rather than trying to re-invent the wheel just to sell Helix Points.

I want to tell myself they made combat different in Unity because they had the intent of ~4 assassins attempting a majority of the missions together and were trying to increase the difficulty accordingly, but the way they went about it just upset me. Hopefully they learn their lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Is the PC version of Rogue particularly hardware demanding? I can run Black Flag with it looking all pretty, so I should be ok, right?

• Locked thread