Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Borland

by XyloJW

meteloides posted:

poo poo wait if Al Borland can put two people in his square maybe I can do the same with mine

I gotta make a new square tomorrow

i need text help someone help me :(

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Al Borland posted:

i need text help someone help me :(

idk how to do really nice text, I'm pretty beginner at paint.net but I'm sure someone can help! :ohdear: I hope

bog pixie

i had nasty food poisoning but ill make a square today

Al Borland

by XyloJW

bog pixie posted:

i had nasty food poisoning but ill make a square today

Ectral can you do text?

----------------

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I can't sleep because I'm incubating a spring cold, but I made a second quilt square, I want to use this one instead

les fleurs du mall

by LadyAmbien
For anyone wanting to do nice text here are some tips (if you're wondering "but wait! your square was lazy as gently caress!" then you're right and i didn't follow the advice I'm about to give):

IMPORTANT - SAVE YOURSELF TIME BY DOING STEP 1 BEFORE YOU EVEN OPEN YOUR IMAGE EDITING SOFTWARE (font cacheing can take ages)

1. Get yourself a fresh, funky font that's down with the kids from https://www.dafont.com (it'll come in a zip / rar file - no need to extract, just copy-paste the font file from within the rar into Fonts, which you can find by typing "Fonts" into windows search)

2. Now that you've got a font so mega that you could eat your skateboard off of it, open up your image editing software

3. Use the text tool with your slick new font on a transparent / alpha layer

4. duplicate the layer

5. "grow" or enlarge the lower layer so that the text on this layer is everso slightly larger than the text on the top layer, and make it a colour complimentary to both the colour of the main text, and the background upon which it will eventually reside

6. duplicate this layer, too (we'll call this duplicate "layer 3" lmao) and make it a third colour (either a darker or lighter shade of the layer from step 5, depending on what'll look nice on your main background)

7. copy-paste layer 3 where you want your text to go on your incredible quilt square image, placing it where you want your text to go and merge it nicely like a grandma might. Use a very light blur (NOT smudge) to blend the edges of this text thoroughly into the background colour)

8. Back to your main text layers - merge the two layers, so that the first one is on top of "layer three" (pmsl)

8b. GIMP and Photoshop have cool tools for making rad stuff happen to your kickin' text. In gimp you'll find them under filters -> alpha to logo.

9. Copy paste your new real cool text directly onto the one you blurred with your quilt square, and watch that baby pop (do not pop a baby)

----------------

Piso Mojado

les fleurs du mall posted:

For anyone wanting to do nice text here are some tips (if you're wondering "but wait! your square was lazy as gently caress!" then you're right and i didn't follow the advice I'm about to give):

IMPORTANT - SAVE YOURSELF TIME BY DOING STEP 1 BEFORE YOU EVEN OPEN YOUR IMAGE EDITING SOFTWARE (font cacheing can take ages)

1. Get yourself a fresh, funky font that's down with the kids from https://www.dafont.com (it'll come in a zip / rar file - no need to extract, just copy-paste the font file from within the rar into Fonts, which you can find by typing "Fonts" into windows search)

2. Now that you've got a font so mega that you could eat your skateboard off of it, open up your image editing software

3. Use the text tool with your slick new font on a transparent / alpha layer

4. duplicate the layer

5. "grow" or enlarge the lower layer so that the text on this layer is everso slightly larger than the text on the top layer, and make it a colour complimentary to both the colour of the main text, and the background upon which it will eventually reside

6. duplicate this layer, too (we'll call this duplicate "layer 3" lmao) and make it a third colour (either a darker or lighter shade of the layer from step 5, depending on what'll look nice on your main background)

7. copy-paste layer 3 where you want your text to go on your incredible quilt square image, placing it where you want your text to go and merge it nicely like a grandma might. Use a very light blur (NOT smudge) to blend the edges of this text thoroughly into the background colour)

8. Back to your main text layers - merge the two layers, so that the first one is on top of "layer three" (pmsl)

8b. GIMP and Photoshop have cool tools for making rad stuff happen to your kickin' text. In gimp you'll find them under filters -> alpha to logo.

9. Copy paste your new real cool text directly onto the one you blurred with your quilt square, and watch that baby pop (do not pop a baby)

I suck at nice text and the text tool in gimp sucks (though I've never tried some of the stuff you mentioned above, thanks!!)

what I have always done is go into power point and make my text there, then copy/paste as new layer in gimp. it will paste the copied text as an image, not as text, but it works pretty well.

POWERBALL

by zen death robot

Al Borland posted:

Okay I"m almost done but I need some opinions and help
I need someone good with text to do the wording

At the top / in the rainbow I want it to say: With love From:
Al Borland

beaneath the dinosaur I want it to say:
...........&
A Tin of Beans

below are my two pictures. I also was wondering if someone else can do a better kind of starry rainbow river for us to be sailing across through the rainbow. If anyone can help me with that much appreciated. Second one is without the rainbow star river.

this is nice :sun:

----------------

Al Borland

by XyloJW

POWERBALL posted:

this is nice :sun:

I made it into my desktop background I'm really happy with it.

----------------

les fleurs du mall

by LadyAmbien

Piso Mojado posted:

I suck at nice text and the text tool in gimp sucks (though I've never tried some of the stuff you mentioned above, thanks!!)

what I have always done is go into power point and make my text there, then copy/paste as new layer in gimp. it will paste the copied text as an image, not as text, but it works pretty well.

check out the post i just made in the Milk Ape thread if you wanna see some half-assed examples of what i've described in that

----------------

FluffieDuckie

I Dunno posted:

oh poo poo, is it too late to get in on this? have 60 ppl posted yet?

it looks like we're going to make it to 60 squares, but i encourage you to submit something anyway. *says something enigmatic about sewing magic*

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

POWERBALL

by zen death robot

FluffieDuckie posted:

*says something enigmatic about sewing magic*

artist rendition of the completed quilt:

----------------

FluffieDuckie

POWERBALL posted:

artist rendition of the completed quilt:

you forgot bwee's tag

FluffieDuckie

XyloJW posted:

the level of seriousness with which security drone is treating his role of Quilt Facillitator is well worth the effort of making the square.

this project already has a very high participation level. i credit sec drone and his yobber herding skills

google THIS

thank you security drone for deprocrastinating me

Machai

Xylo did you make a patch already? cuz I made this thingy just in case

Piso Mojado

Machai posted:

Xylo did you make a patch already? cuz I made this thingy just in case

haha

Piso Mojado

FluffieDuckie posted:

this project already has a very high participation level. i credit sec drone and his yobber herding skills

yes we should all thank security drone for his work but also the quilt creator, bwee. thanks to both of you for making this happen.

landy.

Piso Mojado posted:

yes we should all thank security drone for his work but also the quilt creator, bwee. thanks to both of you for making this happen.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
While I am clearly unworthy of submitting a patch to this project I am warmly reminded of the AIDS quilt from the 80s

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

here is mine. thanks to landy. and ectral for drawing it in the first place (rip)

Dotcom Jillionaire

Social distortion
you done hosed up brillo

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
:confused:

Salmiakki

it needs to be 800x800

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

the unabonger

google THIS posted:

thank you security drone for deprocrastinating me

Kanye Swestika

Machai

i flunked out posted:

Kanye Swestika

woah

google THIS

i flunked out posted:

Kanye Swestika

:stare:

ron color

you can just put the smaller square on top of a cool photo thats 800x800 it works kind of like a border. thats what i did

joke_explainer

I Dunno posted:

oh poo poo, is it too late to get in on this? have 60 ppl posted yet

listen... don't worry about that. just make a square. if anybody doesn't make a square they are loving up.

joke_explainer

XyloJW posted:

the level of seriousness with which security drone is treating his role of Quilt Facillitator is well worth the effort of making the square.

l felt like, ugh, this is going to be a logistical nightmare, people aren't going to read the rules, people will post a marijuana leaf with no name 400 pixels by 400 pixels then leave with a satisfied look on their faces and never return to the thread. The idea of quilting 60+ quilt squares already is an enormous amount of effort so I felt I could at least take up the mantle of 'annoying the poo poo out of everyone until they submit valid entries' so at least neither fluffie nor PSL had to sit around adjusting the images or whatever.

FluffieDuckie posted:

thank you! but you have the really hard job and you're the person who came up with the idea. i personally think its awesome as hell

Gone Fashing posted:

here is mine. thanks to landy. and ectral for drawing it in the first place (rip)

you're letting me down, brillo. resize it. fluffie is that stylized bird-joint okay?

joke_explainer

if anybody has a way to contact siluvayne, chill la chill or blub, I'd appreciate you nagging them. we only have like 15 hours!! Neither siluvayne nor chill la chill can accept pms

Stormyish

Also wait, how are you bone buddies if robots don't have bones

joke_explainer

Stormyish posted:

Also wait, how are you bone buddies if robots don't have bones

i stole some bones

check out this incredibly badass saboten square Bacalou made:

Lil Cunty

joke_explainer posted:

if anybody has a way to contact siluvayne, chill la chill or blub, I'd appreciate you nagging them. we only have like 15 hours!! Neither siluvayne nor chill la chill can accept pms

I'll email her

e: her as in siluvayne

ty crap

ty landy

Brexit the Frog

attempt #1

Piso Mojado

joke_explainer posted:

i stole some bones

check out this incredibly badass saboten square Bacalou made:

holy moly

bacalou

I am confused

FluffieDuckie

joke_explainer posted:

you're letting me down, brillo. resize it. fluffie is that stylized bird-joint okay?

yes we're going to call that a stylized cig.

joke_explainer posted:

blub has been harrassed multiple times

FluffieDuckie

crust munch posted:

I am confused

wait why are you confused?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN