Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Madmarker posted:

That is a very good looking duress, and would probably be a cool foil.

Also, the Ugin's custodian card made me wonder....What exactly did the Super-President do? How did he go back in time, and what exactly did he change to make things the way they are now?

Going back in time bullshit: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/journey-nexus-2014-12-10
In the past he saved Ugin's life: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/reforged-chain-2015-01-21

god I hate time travel stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm so happy Duress is back, y'all. :3: Easily one of my favorite cards all-time.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I hope this set is battlecruiser magic because Eldrazi was and is still the best but I don't see it yet. It looks like its trying to be that

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I think this is a more than decent dude for limited controls strategies. 'Course lack of reach might be relevant.

(Also my favorite iteration of mr Jeskai golem)

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
If it wasn't suspected already, enemy fetches are definitely not in Dragons. There isn't room in the number crunch for Arid Mesa. That's probably for the best - Battle for Zendikar looks like it's going to be a great set, so just one more thing to get excited for.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Emerson Cod posted:

If it wasn't suspected already, enemy fetches are definitely not in Dragons. There isn't room in the number crunch for Arid Mesa. That's probably for the best - Battle for Zendikar looks like it's going to be a great set, so just one more thing to get excited for.
Why the gently caress was anyone expecting them to put enemy-colored lands in a set that's all about allied colors again?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Emerson Cod posted:

Battle for Zendikar looks like it's going to be a great set

That's a little premature, no?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Froghammer posted:

Why the gently caress was anyone expecting them to put enemy-colored lands in a set that's all about allied colors again?

Because they have been at least fairly aggressive with reprinting Modern staples that cost insane amounts of money. Which they need to do if they want to keep pumping up interest in it. So, for that reason it made sense to do.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Duress reprint is cool but man, that art's kind of a bummer. It's not bad, but past Duress arts have really clearly communicated that your opponent is having something go really intimately, magically wrong while that art could go on pretty much any black or red card drawn out of a hat and probably a few blue ones.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Also they put allied fetches in Khans and that set was more focused on enemy pairs due to how the wedge clans work. My guess is that we'll see enemy fastlands if we get something new.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean I like the new art for Duress and I'll probably grab a playset and keep them around this time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

whydirt posted:

Also they put allied fetches in Khans and that set was more focused on enemy pairs due to how the wedge clans work. My guess is that we'll see enemy fastlands if we get something new.

Is a rare land cycle more or less guaranteed?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Froghammer posted:

Because we didn't know that fact 6 months ago when people though they'd be in DTK?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's probably because it's the one I played w/ most, but there's something very archetypal of old magic in the Saga Duress.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Rinkles posted:

Is a rare land cycle more or less guaranteed?

I would say it would be very surprising if there isn't one.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
untapped lands with
T: add C to your mana pool
T: add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast dragon spells or to activate the abilities of dragons you control.

Will not work with flipping up morphs and will trick people at least once on stream.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

whydirt posted:

I would say it would be very surprising if there isn't one.

I wouldn't be that shocked. I'm pretty sure that they're comfortable with where we're at. We have 2 sets of lands right now.

We will most likely get a set in Origins, which could be allied painlands.
Battle for Zen, we loose temples but likely gain enemy fetches. Leaves standard with 1.5 cycles of lands. If we got enemy man lands, which seem like a cycle they're likely to complete, we will be back to 2 complete cycles of mana in standard.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The thing is we already have fairly Mirrodin-specific allied fastlands, and it'd have to be an allied cycle if there's just five (or a monocolored cycle I guess).
A thought: ally-colored ETBT typed dual lands.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Can't wait to put everyone to sleep and yell "so grows the golden trove" and "for the trove" every time I play this dumb jerk (which will hopefully be never).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Cool art. Boring cards.

They all seem great in limited and fringe standard playable though...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zoness posted:

Can't wait to put everyone to sleep and yell "so grows the golden trove" and "for the trove" every time I play this dumb jerk (which will hopefully be never).

A 2/5* for 3? What's not to love? I think it would've been decent in Khans limited.

*etb tapped defender

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Froghammer posted:

Innistrad had allied tribes and enemy land.

And I totally called Duress as a parallel to Despise!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

A 2/5* for 3? What's not to love? I think it would've been decent in Khans limited.

*etb tapped defender

Why would you want a 3 drop that can't attack, can't block on the turn you play it, and doesn't have the lategame upside of a morph?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a bit disappointing that all the rocks are the same, but on the other hand most limited mana-fixing cycles are symmetrical and they seem like they could be pretty important to the draft environment.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

*etb tapped defender

Elyv posted:

Why would you want a 3 drop that can't attack, can't block on the turn you play it, and doesn't have the lategame upside of a morph?

this basically
also without a defender theme or some kind of absurd ability (0/8 shroud flying or 0/6 g: gain reach for example) a wall is pretty lovely in limited in general. basically not having reach is really bad

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

It buys you a fair bit if time past turn 3. Parapet, for instance, only lessens the pain against 2 2/2s - this stops them outright.

Of course, parapet also has the upside of being a 2 drop late game wincon.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A ground defender seems even worse in a format full of big fliers. Though I think I might've grudgingly played this guy in Khans since he at least holds all those Gray Ogres at bay.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

It buys you a fair bit if time past turn 3. Parapet, for instance, only lessens the pain against 2 2/2s - this stops them outright.

Of course, parapet also has the upside of being a 2 drop late game wincon.

Dude this is infinitely worse than parapet in the fictional limited format where they both exist. "Stopping their lovely guys" isn't a game winning plan unless you're playing u/x in zendikar limited or you have some absurd late game bombs and even then you're lowering relevant card density in the latter scenario.

This guy would be hilarious in ZZZ limited though, a format known for a 2/5 flying for 4U being a playable curve-topper

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

A ground defender seems even worse in a format full of big fliers. Though I think I might've grudgingly played this guy in Khans since he at least holds all those Gray Ogres at bay.

Well, we'll still have morphs to deal with, but I agree this guy is pretty poor.

Anything with a big butt is kind of interesting now that we know that it can be a win condition, though. I'm just gonna draft every Assault Formation I see.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zoness posted:

Dude this is infinitely worse than parapet in the fictional limited format where they both exist.

Parapet may have been my favorite KTK common in draft - not gonna speak ill of it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'll be honest even in a format with a wall win-con at common (RoE) I rarely saw the vent sentinel deck really work (or rather, it was more likely to just get a fast ulamog's crusher out than to actually win with vent sentinel pings) but that might be predicate on having real competition in other synergies and it being a theme so people were actually aware of it while assault formation is like, not an obvious slam first pick and at rare not a card people will count on having to deal with.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nobody's posting about the new Planeswalker Guide to Dragons of Tarkir?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/planeswalkers-guide-dragons-tarkir-part-1-2015-03-11

Tarkir sounds like a really terrible place to live now, unless you have wings and breathes fire.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Terrible Horse posted:

This and the walls/butt stuff matters cards make me think this sets going to be a bunch of standing around waiting for someone to land a dragon.

There's just that one rare that cares about walls that everyone went bananas about, but I think we've seen a grand total of two actual walls so far and they're both uncommon. Maybe there's a bunh of butt stuff at common we haven't seen yet though, who knows.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Those dragon monuments are hilariously lazy. They're still decent amp/fixing and an unwrathable 4/4 flyer is not worthless.

Hopping Ghost posted:

Duress reprint is cool but man, that art's kind of a bummer. It's not bad, but past Duress arts have really clearly communicated that your opponent is having something go really intimately, magically wrong while that art could go on pretty much any black or red card drawn out of a hat and probably a few blue ones.

This is the first non-terrible Duress art ever printed except the promo that's $10. Needle branches sucks and the other arts are just worse from there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's an artifact at number 246, 248 and 249 are evolving wilds and Haven of the Spirit Dragon, and 250-264 are presumably 3x of each basic. There's no rare land cycle you guys. Dragon Rocks in the first two packs and guaranteed life-land in the last pack is already more fixing than your average non-multicolor set gets, and this is looking to have a very loose allied colors theme at most.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Those dragon monuments are hilariously lazy. They're still decent amp/fixing and an unwrathable 4/4 flyer is not worthless.

This is the first non-terrible Duress art ever printed except the promo that's $10. Needle branches sucks and the other arts are just worse from there.

What's wrong, you don't like Tiny Elf Stuck in an Iron Maiden Fitted for an Orc.png?

Because I don't blame you.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

What's wrong, you don't like Tiny Elf Stuck in an Iron Maiden Fitted for an Orc.png?

Because I don't blame you.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The best discard spell art is clearly

This isn't even a question.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh. That's not needles at all, they're spiny tree branches.

Still, I hate this art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
You're supposed to hate the art because gently caress that card.

Unless you're playing a legacy tendrils deck then that card owns.

• Locked thread