Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shadowgate posted:

The Good app he's talking about is actually containerized so a wipe will only remove the corporate data from the app. It still doesn't excuse the other issues with it, like additional talk/data usage that they should at least reimburse for.
I thought it might be though some offices just run Good on the server for admining the devices and don't use the app. Worth mentioning all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yeah, this, what is your carrier? If you had a modern ATT or VZW plan you can just add the like for $15-25/month. Then just get a MotoE, if you only use their email app and set it to sync every fifteen minutes or whatever, and don't have anything else on it, I could see the battery lasting a couple days. Also, in your scenario of camping, you must be bringing a bag of some sort. Just keep a few spare batteries. Palm slap a battery in, and you'll be golden.

Who has a phone with swappable batteries anymore? How about a gently caress off huge 10,000mah battery pack?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

That's the problem isn't it?

I got this phone because "aw yeah I'll always have the latest software this will own!" :smith:

I don't want to say that it's your only problem, but a lot of my issues were taken care of after the update. For yesterday anyway, it's too early to tell if it's fixed for real this time yet or not.

I know my battery is about to start circling the drain because I've ridden this phone hard every day since it came out, so there's always some component of cell degradation there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WugLyfe posted:

I don't want to say that it's your only problem, but a lot of my issues were taken care of after the update. For yesterday anyway, it's too early to tell if it's fixed for real this time yet or not.

I know my battery is about to start circling the drain because I've ridden this phone hard every day since it came out, so there's always some component of cell degradation there.
Yeah I saw quite an improvement on 5.1 yesterday in an area with poor reception but the jury's still out.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I probably type two pages a week in email on my blackberry. Physical keyboard is greatly desired.

If you decide to get a second phone for this then the BlackBerry Classic is $450 on RIM's site.

Its considerably more expensive than a Moto E or Moto G, but if you value the physical keyboard then it could be worth the extra cost.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

If you decide to get a second phone for this then the BlackBerry Classic is $450 on RIM's site.

Its considerably more expensive than a Moto E or Moto G, but if you value the physical keyboard then it could be worth the extra cost.
He'd still have the problem that the company wants so badly to turn off that BES.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I read it more as they just don't want to supply the phone and plan for it anymore, but yeah that is a point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Variable_H posted:

Having used a BB Classic for a couple months now with a trial device at work, it's poo poo and he should not get one.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hadlock posted:

I probably type two pages a week in email on my blackberry. Physical keyboard is greatly desired.

Hadlock posted:

Touchscreen keyboards are a cancer.

Just gonna repeat myself:

Rastor posted:

Welcome to the "I miss physical keyboards" club, friend. :( I stuck with them as long as I possibly could (Motorola Photon Q and then LG Optimus F3Q) but they just plain don't make them with anything but the shittiest possible internals nowadays. Clip-on bluetooth keyboards are all horrible pieces of poo poo still.

DON'T try to find one that's the same size as the Droid 4. Instead get the absolute largest phone you think you can possibly stand / fit in your pockets. The larger space to work with will make the onscreen keyboard slightly more bearable.

I like my Moto X (2014) overall. I still miss the physical keyboards every time I write something, but using letter swiping on the onscreen keyboard I'm at least not too much slower, even though it doesn't feel as natural. And I admit it, once again having a phone with powerful hardware and current software goes a long ways to make up for the loss.
I assure you, I know where you're coming from, but give up. Seriously, give it up. We physical keyboard die hards have lost the war and now they're just doing a mop up operation on us.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SB35 posted:

Who has a phone with swappable batteries anymore? How about a gently caress off huge 10,000mah battery pack?

That's definitely an option too. A replaceable battery (not this discussion again) and a battery pack are slightly different in that battery can be swapped out, but the battery pack requires keeping the phone plugged in. In a sack while out camping, it's not a problem, but if you are traveling a lot and using the phone for pics/directions being tethered to the battery pack is a pain.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Rastor posted:

Just gonna repeat myself:

I assure you, I know where you're coming from, but give up. Seriously, give it up. We physical keyboard die hards have lost the war and now they're just doing a mop up operation on us.

Blackberry seem to be the only ones still putting out phones with hardware keyboards.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Riso posted:

Blackberry seem to be the only ones still putting out phones with hardware keyboards.
How's that working out for them?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

If you go by my office here in Canada, pretty drat well :downs:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

butt dickus posted:

It's not the hardware that's the problem with Blackberry. I'd be willing to bet that outside of maybe BBM, the keyboard is one of the biggest factors for people getting one.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I have a Blackberry z10 for work and the on-screen keyboard is hands-down the best tap-style keyboard I've ever used. I wish they'd license it out.

The rest of the phone kind of sucks compared to modern Android/Apple, but it gets good stand-by time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I've been saying for years now that blackberry should make an attempt at being the android phone for business.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

The keyboard is one of the biggest factors for people getting one.
Right. And just like with removable batteries and SD cards, the vast majority of customers have shown they don't give a drat about hardware keyboards.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Google Play Devices is dying/dead, long live the Google Store

EDIT: Yeah it's dead

quote:

What is the Google Store?

The Google Store is an online store where you can learn about and buy Android phones and tablets, Android Wear watches, Chromebooks, Nest devices, media streaming devices, and related accessories. These products used to be available on Google Play. Google Play now only sells Google Play Apps, Music, Movies & TV, Books, and Newsstand.

Need a hardware device? Think the Google Store. Need digital content to enjoy on your device? Think Google Play.

https://support.google.com/store/answer/6160260

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 11, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

What a way to find out there's a new Pixel.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

They're also taking steps toward physical retail stores.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I still don't understand who the Pixel is for exactly

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

butt dickus posted:

What a way to find out there's a new Pixel.

With an SD card slot, two usb3 ports and two USB C ports

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hace posted:

I still don't understand who the Pixel is for exactly

I'd buy it and use it as a Linux machine, since it's Intel you can load Ubuntu on it pretty easily.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Spec wise I like what the Pixel is doing. But it's just a laptop that is $1200 and runs Chrome really well.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

It's not the hardware that's the problem with Blackberry. I'd be willing to bet that outside of maybe BBM, the keyboard is one of the biggest factors for people getting one.

BBM is available on Android and iOS now, isn't it? There's literally no reason to suffer a BB device anymore.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
32GB on a $1000 laptop sounds pretty dicey

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

RVProfootballer posted:

BBM is available on Android and iOS now, isn't it? There's literally no reason to suffer a BB device anymore.

Did you miss the posts about the dudes that are still in love with physical keyboards

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Physical keyboards are much nicer than digital ones. That said, they aren't worth the compromises we're forced into to have them.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nerve posted:

Did you miss the posts about the dudes that are still in love with physical keyboards

No, I just ignored them because that's even sillier than thinking BBM is awesome

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Good app for Android is ugly, slow, battery draining and just downright bad. The iOS version isn't much better either.

Really it's more a way for IT to scupper any BYOD plans (by providing something that sort of works but is such a poor experience no one will want to bother) rather than something that an organisation would actually rely on.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

No, I just ignored them because that's even sillier than thinking BBM is awesome

I never really understood the BBM draw. Only person I know that ever actually used it only did so because they were afraid the cishet government was going to read their gay texts and put them in gay prison or something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm actually pretty stoked about this change for some reason.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Free shipping finally Google joins 2015.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

LastInLine posted:

You're using Titanium Backup to back up your wifi passwords. Stop doing that.

I do have titanium backup, but have not knowingly enabled this - where do I find the setting? I've only noticed one which is a one-off backup.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So like, is carrier unlocking generally something you have to pay for now? I managed to get a code online for my old S3 for free, but I'm thinking of buying a used Z2 now but I cant seem to find an unlock code that's free or doesn't seem sketchy somehow.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nexus 5 OTA is going out now on T-Mobile. People are starting to pull the OTA link already, so we should see more details soon.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

That's the problem isn't it?

I got this phone because "aw yeah I'll always have the latest software this will own!" :smith:

Well, 5.1 is out for your phone and it seems pretty good. Also, replacing your battery is easy if that is your problem.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

So 5.1 is way better on my Nexus 7 2012 than 5.0.2 ever thought of being. Not quite as good as when it shipped but great for a 3 year old device.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Here is the OTA from 5.0.1: http://android.clients.google.com/p...-restricted.zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thanks, buddy. I was all rarin' to go from the one on Droid Life but I think the one they posted is for devices on 5.0 and not 5.0.1.