Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MJBuddy posted:

If there were IT unions I'd never have been hired , and every idiot I run into wouldn't be fireable.

And that's why my dad's old job had so many loving idiots. (long closed down factory)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Absolutely. And good on you.

I recently rejected a zero warning two week trip to the middle of nowhere for a project I've had almost nothing to do with. When pressed for a reason why not, I admitted that my wife and I are working through something. Which is true, I mean, we are - we're drat near done working through season 2 of Cheers. Who could leave for 2 weeks at a time like this?

This is pretty great. It's still nuts that just saying "No, because you've given me no notice" isn't a good enough answer though.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

flosofl posted:

Jesus, I had to deal with that but with the infrastructure at a previous job. We spent 3 loving DAYS trying to get the router/firewall guy to unblock HTTP across our WAN link.

:haw:Ok, it is open now
:( Hmm, when I telnet to port 80 I don't get any response
:haw:No no no. I did not open telnet, I opened HTTP. You must use web browser.
:stare:...

:bang:

That... Sounds about right. We had developers in India and we would spend more time explaining tasks to them than it would take for us to do the tasks ourselves.

When they would come back with a completed task, it was 50/50 whether or not it worked at all.

The language barrier was insane. They spoke English, and were perfectly friendly, but if they didn't understand something, they would just keep nodding, and agreeing.

You get what you pay for.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
No unions please, I don't want to be lumped into a group with all the incompetent people and firms my firm cleans up after, tyia.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
No Unions please here either, I don't want collective bargaining and better wages. I also want to keep hearing stories about how companies are loving their employees over.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The whole concept of unions needs to be rethought. While having some sort of collective bargaining unit is definitely advantageous, too many unions turn into corrupt, self serving, protectionist havens for incompetents.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Belgium is covered in unions and they go on strike for every little thing. It is terrible. Especially when strikes involve blocking access to the parking, but not to your actual building, like the last time there was a major one.

Also, public transport seems to spend more time being on strike than working.

They have their use, but there is such a thing as too much unions.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Careful now, you're going to anger the downtrodden SH/SC proletariat.

poo poo pissing me off: having to refer to Sourcefire stuff by its lame ciscoized name, FirePOWER.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

The Fool posted:

The whole concept of unions needs to be rethought. While having some sort of collective bargaining unit is definitely advantageous, too many unions turn into corrupt, self serving, protectionist havens for incompetents.

Seriously, this. I'm all for fair treatment of employees (if they don't treat you fair go find another job imo) but Unions are a relic and end up being just as bad as an employer, in some cases.

Maybe if your employer isn't treating you well log into their servers and start crashing the poo poo out of them, then go find another job. Same thing as a union, basically.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Maybe if your employer isn't treating you well log into their servers and start crashing the poo poo out of them, then go find another job. Same thing as a union, basically.

With friends like you, who needs enemies?

Seriously, never maliciously cause damage to an employers infrastructure, no matter how badly they treat you.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The reason why things like 40-work weeks, OHSA, paid vacation, paid holidays, emergency leave, etc exist is because of unions.

Bringing unions back especially in IT would be overwhelming good thing but public opinion of them is incredibly poor. I don't know what has happened since the 20's but for whatever reason unions are largely unpopular because the free market will eliminate employee abuse and unions only protect poor employees. :rolleyes:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 11, 2015

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Gyshall posted:

Seriously, this. I'm all for fair treatment of employees (if they don't treat you fair go find another job imo) but Unions are a relic and end up being just as bad as an employer, in some cases.

You don't need a union, just commit a few felonies.

This is an insane reply.

Tab8715 posted:

The reason why things like 40-work weeks, ... exist is because of unions.

Curiously, this particular one is actually not true, although obviously I agree with your point. The 40 hour work week exists because business leaders -- Ford, I think? -- found that that was the magic number past which it wasn't worth it anymore, because workers got too exhausted if they worked more than that and productivity suffered.

Sometimes I wonder if anti-union sentiment -- other than that held by the people unions negotiate with, obviously -- is based on the belief that they, personally, will never need union protections. People think that unions only protect bad employees, which isn't true, but it's the Just World fallacy at work.

That said, I think it depends on the specific union. The ones we have aren't particularly strong, but I have friends in other industries who describe the union as indistinguishable from organized crime, breaking safety equipment and then kicking up a fuss about the unsafe conditions (that they caused) stuff like that.

guppy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 11, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
You guys realize that the last line is a joke, right?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

The reason why things like 40-work weeks, OHSA, paid vacation, paid holidays, emergency leave, etc exist is because of unions.

Bringing unions back especially in IT would be overwhelming good thing but public opinion of them is incredibly poor. I don't know what has happened since the 20's but for whatever reason unions are largely unpopular because the free market will eliminate employee abuse and unions only protect poor employees. :rolleyes:

As a counterpoint, I do think that IT's general attitude toward rewarding competence over tenure has helped people take the field a bit more seriously and has sped the adoption of newer technologies. And while yes, everyone has worked with incompetent people who have been there forever (especially anyone who has worked in higher ed or the government), the industry still tends to reward those that know the most, or those who have kept up to date with current trends, over those who have been there a longest. Unions generally do not.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
One thing that pisses me off is when I configure network equipment for some rinky-dink Engineering lab on our site but they insist that they can't let me have keypad access in case there's an issue. Oh what, you can't let the I.T. barbarians intrude on your little fiefdom?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

psydude posted:

As a counterpoint, I do think that IT's general attitude toward rewarding competence over tenure has helped people take the field a bit more seriously and has sped the adoption of newer technologies. And while yes, everyone has worked with incompetent people who have been there forever (especially anyone who has worked in higher ed or the government), the industry still tends to reward those that know the most, or those who have kept up to date with current trends, over those who have been there a longest. Unions generally do not.

I agree that IT rewards those with competence more often than not but that never hasn't stopped a business from making incredibly stupid and immoral decisions.

Mogomra posted:

You guys realize that the last line is a joke, right?

And it wasn't funny.

lol im just kidding guys why you mad

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's 50 degrees outside. We just got a disk in the mail but my AS/400 guy is 'letting it warm up' before he installs the software.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

I agree that IT rewards those with competence more often than not but that never hasn't stopped a business from making incredibly stupid and immoral decisions.

Unionization hasn't prevented this, either. I've also seen unions either gently caress over friends and family, or fail to defend them at about the same rate as the businesses themselves.

Union-backed movements like the establishment of OSHA have fallen off in favor of collective bargaining. I'd rather have enforcement occur at the federal level, which would have the dual benefit of both ensuring union and non-union workplaces are protected while preventing the kind of anticompetitive practices (for example, preventing the adoption of new technologies and methods) that unions oftentimes engage in.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

It's 50 degrees outside. We just got a disk in the mail but my AS/400 guy is 'letting it warm up' before he installs the software.

I do that sometimes, but it's also -30 outside right now.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Chalets the Baka posted:

I would literally kill for an IT union.

I agree with this poster, as I just today now work until 20:30 five days a week and 10% of my weekends. I get to start later, unless someone calls an 08:00 meeting, but really, how often does that happen? (answer: all the loving time.)

An IT union still wouldn't survive for a lot of reasons.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I need all union talk to stop.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

18 Character Limit posted:

I agree with this poster, as I just today now work until 20:30 five days a week and 10% of my weekends. I get to start later, unless someone calls an 08:00 meeting, but really, how often does that happen? (answer: all the loving time.)

An IT union still wouldn't survive for a lot of reasons.

Unions could improve your situation but it isn't going to grow you a backbone. If 8:00 meetings stretch your work day then don't attend them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > More poo poo that pisses you off: Unions

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I need all union talk to stop.

Okay, but in exchange we need a health plan that isn't an HDHP.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I gave my notice at my job a while back and they decided to hire two positions in replacement. One for the helpdesk and one to do the stuff that I was doing (systems engineer/admin with some SQL DBA poo poo). I have been sitting here listening to the helpdesk manager discuss a candidate and saying things like:

"well he is pretty old so we are probably just interviewing him to be nice"
"Well he seems to have normal interests"
"He live pretty far away"

Not once did he say anything about the dude's technical acumen. Additionally for some reason the helpdesk guys are pivotal in choosing the replacement rather than the manager.

I am 100% aware that the age thing is totally totally hosed up but have no idea if there is something easily done. As am amusing note the helpdesk manager is around 50 himself and the guy is maybe 2 years older? I remember that once a coworker suggested a guy in a wheelchair and the same helpdesk manager said to me in private about how the coworker is crazy and we could never hire someone in a wheelchair. Granted he probably couldn't physically do the job but talk about a hosed up thing to say.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My old boss would DQ candidates for all types of reasons. One time it was a cheap suit (we didn't have a dress code and certainly never wore suits at work.)

Usually he would also justify it as "They'll have to commute too far" but this was the same guy who thought that paying a living wage wasn't his problem, so I dunno how exactly he expected to get somebody to move to the Hamptons for the job.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

KennyTheFish posted:

security licenses for the kit at either end (assuming cisco) and put an IPsec tunnel on it? I mean, if they want to waste the money.

The fiber is running under a parking lot, to a firewall that is then encrypting it to to hand off to another entity. I don't feel like throwing another firewall out there.

I think :fuckoff: is still the correct response.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sickening posted:

Unions could improve your situation but it isn't going to grow you a backbone. If 8:00 meetings stretch your work day then don't attend them.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > More poo poo that pisses you off: Unions could improve your situation but it isn't going to grow you a backbone

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

RFC2324 posted:

My company is getting 16 sysadmins for $9k a year in India.

So yeah, the only way to compete with that is be such a superstar that a union wouldn't be much use for you anyway.

That's pretty much what is going to replace most of my team in about a month or two.

These folks in india are getting 8 hours of training, when most of us here were nto up to speed for at least 3 months.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Inspector_666 posted:

My old boss would DQ candidates for all types of reasons. One time it was a cheap suit (we didn't have a dress code and certainly never wore suits at work.)

Usually he would also justify it as "They'll have to commute too far" but this was the same guy who thought that paying a living wage wasn't his problem, so I dunno how exactly he expected to get somebody to move to the Hamptons for the job.

I personally dq'd candidates for having a really long commute and I didn't really think much about it. Our workplace also isn't in an area that is hard to live close to though.

People that live a reasonable distance from their job are probably more likely to enjoy their job more and stay longer. They are probably late less often or at least don't have to try to be super early all the time so they don't have to be late if there is a traffic jam. Kind of a win/win for both parties.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

I personally dq'd candidates for having a really long commute and I didn't really think much about it. Our workplace also isn't in an area that is hard to live close to though.

People that live a reasonable distance from their job are probably more likely to enjoy their job more and stay longer. They are probably late less often or at least don't have to try to be super early all the time so they don't have to be late if there is a traffic jam. Kind of a win/win for both parties.

No, DQing for a long commute is perfectly reasonable as long as the reason for that commute isn't "I won't pay you enough to live within an hour without traffic (there will always be traffic.)"

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Sickening posted:

Yeah the commute thing on its own doesn't bother me it is just that they literally do not care about the dude's technical acumen. I know for a fact that good candidates have been passed over because one of the helpdesk dudes felt threatened by his knowledge set. This office is weird because the helpdesk manager and one of the HD dudes are completely ignorant and do not keep up with technology at all really and then the other HD dude won't be here longer than a year more because he does. On the systems side there are two of us and it is a constant battle of one group doing things the right way and them doing it the wrong way. I actually quit because I got sick of the helpdesk manager not being a backup to the helpdesk if they needed an extra hand or anything. It seems nuts to me. Oh well I don't want to turn this into a complete bitchfest about this place since I am out of here soon anyway.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Demonachizer posted:

I am 100% aware that the age thing is totally totally hosed up but have no idea if there is something easily done. As am amusing note the helpdesk manager is around 50 himself and the guy is maybe 2 years older? I remember that once a coworker suggested a guy in a wheelchair and the same helpdesk manager said to me in private about how the coworker is crazy and we could never hire someone in a wheelchair. Granted he probably couldn't physically do the job but talk about a hosed up thing to say.

Both age and disability discrimination are very, very illegal and you just gave two textbook examples of them. Any sane company would want you to report all of this to HR immediately, because if what you're describing became apparent to the candidate they will sue and win.

This stuff is like day 1 of management training, so I'm guessing your managers are woefully unqualified to be hiring anyone. That would be a huge red flag for me to GTFO of that environment before the poo poo hits the fan. And it will hit the fan.

edit: also for schadenfreude purposes please tell us what company this is after you leave!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

Yeah I got kinda flayed for this about 2 years ago when I mentioned it the first time, but I'll mention it again. We had a guy who lived over an hour away from the office. He made enough to live significantly closer. He lived where he wanted to live. That is his wont.

The problem was that three times a week he'd either call in to say he was working from home because of traffic, or be insanely late because of traffic, or take off early because of traffic. None of those things feel like my problem.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Both age and disability discrimination are very, very illegal and you just gave two textbook examples of them. Any sane company would want you to report all of this to HR immediately, because if what you're describing became apparent to the candidate they will sue and win.

This stuff is like day 1 of management training, so I'm guessing your managers are woefully unqualified to be hiring anyone. That would be a huge red flag for me to GTFO of that environment before the poo poo hits the fan. And it will hit the fan.

edit: also for schadenfreude purposes please tell us what company this is after you leave!

Yeah I think I might do this in re the age thing. Not going to about the dude in the wheelchair as this is probably 8 years ago at this point.

I am not willing to say the name of the company but nobody would know them anyway (maybe 120 total employees and no huge presence outside a tiny tiny specific part of education). The only consulting we do is a tiny tiny piece of what the company is today and it still is a very niche product.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Tell me about working for local government.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

monster on a stick posted:

pros: go in at 8 leave at 4, enjoy good health care benefits, federal holidays, do most of your work through contractors

cons: bureaucracy, fat gently caress coworkers who smoke too much*

* was my experience

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gyshall posted:

pros: go in at 8 leave at 4, enjoy good health care benefits, federal holidays, do most of your work through contractors

cons: bureaucracy, fat gently caress coworkers who smoke too much*

* was my experience

Go in at 9 you mean. Buddy of mine retired a few years ago, he was a SUPPLY CLERK (ordered office supplies and delivered paper) and he made $24/hr. Crazy.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
A co-worker and general all around good guy from another department contacted my team to let us know he wasn't able to log into a server. I sent it over to one of the guys. My guy contacted me an hour later to let me know that he's able to log into the server. Oh, uh, so I guess we're done here, problem is solved.

The gently caress do I care if you can log in, figure out why the other guy can't.

e: Cleaning up some pronouns. Too many "he, he, he" involved to keep the two people straight.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

I had a consulting gig at a local government function and what struck me most was how many there basically just sat at their desk waiting for quitting time. Look around at 4.25 and everyone's at their desks. 4.32 everyone has vanished and you're the only one left.