Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

how me a frog posted:

Err, in hardmode, when I shift look the camera pans the opposite direction I'm aiming. I'm assuming this is in intentional change to make long range sniping impossible but I'm hoping just maybe it might be a bug?

It's a bug- they reversed the level layouts but that somehow borked how they operated the shiftlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Honest Davion posted:

counter point: chainsawing a pixel man on the ground in half is cathartic

Another fun moment I had, with the chainsaw: At one point I managed to chainsaw a guy's head off, I was then able to kick the severed head around.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Malek posted:

I kept him non lethal only because I'm very curious if it affects anything in the future. Granted with how this game is going I seriously doubt I'll play it twice.

You get an achievement for it, I believe.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Controlling the swans confuses the hell out of me. Is there a way to force the gun one to lead without firing first?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a bug- they reversed the level layouts but that somehow borked how they operated the shiftlook.

I'm not at home to try it but I guess they just now patched the shift look to make it work like its supposed to (like HM1) but at the same time broke it in hard mode :laffo:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

tower of druaga posted:

I'm not at home to try it but I guess they just now patched the shift look to make it work like its supposed to (like HM1) but at the same time broke it in hard mode :laffo:
That's because Hard Mode is just a mirror visualization on top of more rear end in a top hat enemy placement, and since shift look is now bound to cursor oops

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

this is good and also amusing news

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

how me a frog posted:

Perhaps, but you should really never be ground executing people in the first place.

Really? Guess I've been playing the series all wrong then because I always thought the executions were the entire point of the first game, and the only way to get high scores. I played the first trying to ensure that I executed every single guy that I downed as Jacket. That's what I did on my first playthrough and I'd get B's or greater. Playing fast and loose and just one-shot whacking guys seems to net me D's or C's.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Really? Guess I've been playing the series all wrong then because I always thought the executions were the entire point of the first game, and the only way to get high scores. I played the first trying to ensure that I executed every single guy that I downed as Jacket. That's what I did on my first playthrough and I'd get B's or greater. Playing fast and loose and just one-shot whacking guys seems to net me D's or C's.
Yeah, executions net you bonus points at the end of the stage and are worth it if possible.

The only exception is the journalist where you're penalized heavily for all kills.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah, executions net you bonus points at the end of the stage and are worth it if possible.

The only exception is the journalist where you're penalized heavily for all kills.

Note, though, that the takedowns for the journalist have similar point values- 800 for upright, 1000 for weapon.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So from going back and looking at the scene with Biker, I'm going to guess the canon way his and Jacket's fight went was basically a stale mate. He has the eye injury that Jacket gave him when he whacked him in the face and broke his helmet, but is obviously not dead. I'm guessing they both beat the gently caress out of each other and escaped, neither really "winning." Also it would seem that the canon ending is Biker not finishing the puzzle from the first game and not finding out the motivations of the Janitors. Also I wonder who the guy he met in the desert is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheJoker138 posted:

So from going back and looking at the scene with Biker, I'm going to guess the canon way his and Jacket's fight went was basically a stale mate. He has the eye injury that Jacket gave him when he whacked him in the face and broke his helmet, but is obviously not dead. I'm guessing they both beat the gently caress out of each other and escaped, neither really "winning." Also it would seem that the canon ending is Biker not finishing the puzzle from the first game and not finding out the motivations of the Janitors. Also I wonder who the guy he met in the desert is.

According to the devs canonically Biker won the fight but did not kill Jacket, and Jacket got taken into custody. So... neither of the two outcomes of the fight in the first game, for some reason.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CJacobs posted:

According to the devs canonically Biker won the fight but did not kill Jacket, and Jacket got taken into custody. So... neither of the two outcomes of the fight in the first game, for some reason.

Makes sense, but it looks like Jacket got some shots in. So how did Jacket then find out that Richter killed his girlfriend and all the rest of the poo poo that happens? Just bust out?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dude slaughtered his way through an entire SWAT division. Nothing short of being held in custody by a battalion of tanks probably would've kept him in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Presumably they didn't mean that the canonical first game literally ends at the phone hom place. What I took it to mean is that neither of them died in the fight, so they went their own separate ways, and Jacket got taken into custody AFTER his whole thing with killing the mafia boss happened, so the devs' retcon makes both endings canon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

Makes sense, but it looks like Jacket got some shots in. So how did Jacket then find out that Richter killed his girlfriend and all the rest of the poo poo that happens? Just bust out?

HM1 spoilers only:
He's given that information in the beginning of Trauma. Everything before Trauma is a hallucinatory flashback- and the missions after the Phonehom fight either didn't happen or didn't happen in that order, although the intervals at the apartment apparently did.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 11, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

He's given that information in the beginning of Trauma.

But a TON of stuff happens in between PhonHom and Trauma. I think CJacobs is correct here.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

http://gfycat.com/WaryDisastrousGopher

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Hotline Miami 2 in a nutshell :allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I suspect the key to unlocking abyss is to get the par score or higher on all levels. This may mean there's something else unlocked for doing the same on hard, although that's almost inevitable in clearing hard mode.

TheJoker138 posted:

But a TON of stuff happens in between PhonHom and Trauma. I think CJacobs is correct here.

I agree with CJacobs on the outcome of the PhonHom fight, except that Jacket loses and spends the intervening period in the hospital. In the linear game narrative, the hallucinations kick in much more heavily after PhonHom- there are a bunch of signals that, to quote Beard immediately after that fight, things "aren't actually happening". This is also why Richter apologizes about shooting the girlfriend and not for shooting Jacket- because he never shot Jacket.

One way to think about this is from the motivations of the janitors. They have no reason to order Jacket's death, but once Jacket winds up in custody, the girlfriend becomes a loose end.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Haha ok I still love the game but those two loving rear end in a top hat invisible dogs on the second map of Ch22 are some primo bullshit

I got my winning run by basically just murdering everyone on the bottom half of the map and then blowing all the ammo firing blindly up corridors, just to be sure

On one of my losing runs I did that and missed one of the loving dogs anyway

Also I figure what they were going for was to have you watching the lit rooms so that you could more easily see if a dog was coming your way but it's still really stupid.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I really love Tony now. He was great in the first game, but the limitation of no weapons really makes you plan your approach way differently.

Hold down the punch button and run through the levels. The only thing that can stop you is death itself.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Hahahahaha Death Wish Hard Hahahahaha

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I just realised that this game had no trading cards. I don't care about the cards themselves particularly, but the first game had some of the best Steam profile backgrounds and stuff and its a shame not to see them again. They did the hallucinated mask characters in the first game and they could have done something with the different characters/groups in this but apparently not.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Finally finished Powerplant with the sniper rifle. The section where you first enter the building itself nearly destroyed my will to live :negative:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cerebulon posted:

I just realised that this game had no trading cards. I don't care about the cards themselves particularly, but the first game had some of the best Steam profile backgrounds and stuff and its a shame not to see them again. They did the hallucinated mask characters in the first game and they could have done something with the different characters/groups in this but apparently not.
Those don't appear until like 2 weeks after release since they're made by Valve iirc

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So people are saying that there's ammo crates in the Vietnot levels? Anyone got a screenshot, because I don't think I've seen any.

I've honestly never had a level with dogs where Dogespin hasn't occurred. It's magical, in its own way.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

So people are saying that there's ammo crates in the Vietnot levels? Anyone got a screenshot, because I don't think I've seen any.

When you're completely out of ammo the crate that says USSR on top will open and have a blue arrow pointing at it, you can walk up and right click to refill a portion of your ammo. There's only one ammo crate in each section AFAIK but it's the only one that says USSR on top.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Extracting the game files to poke around in them is fun. It's also how I learned what half the arcade machines are supposed to be!

Like the Binding of Isaac one!

or the Nidhogg one!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cerebulon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they get patched in later.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I don't think I've ever played a game at launch that already had trading cards in it. They always seem to be added a fair bit later.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Just finished the game and Steam says it took me about 6-7 hours. While I'm not sure if it's better or worse than HL1, I really enjoyed it. There were some minor bugs, and some of the levels were tough nuts to crack, but it never took that long to figure out how to deal with them. The only part of the game where I got really frustrated was at the very end, but only because I had to walk and watch the intro again each time I died (kinda like with HL1's final boss).

I especially don't get all the hate for the Hawaii levels. I thought only the last one was tougher than average, but it never made me angry or frustrated. Mostly I just felt like a total badass while knifing and sniping dudes.

Great soundtrack as expected, and I enjoyed the plot and characters, although I'm not even trying to understand all of it. Good game, would buy again.

edit: lol typo

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 11, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I found this in the game files in the faces folder, it appears to be Hoxton's mask from Payday. Does it... appear anywhere in the game? I can't recall seeing it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I found this in the game files in the faces folder, it appears to be Hoxton's mask from Payday. Does it... appear anywhere in the game? I can't recall seeing it.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bunch of as of now unused poo poo that will be available for use when the level editor comes out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheJoker138 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bunch of as of now unused poo poo that will be available for use when the level editor comes out.

Possibly. It could also be part of the Payday 2 stuff you get with the digital edition, maybe there would've originally been a popup or whatever at the main menu to go like "hey you bought this game now go play payday 2 because you get a whole bunch of poo poo" or something.

Man I can't wait for the level editor. The interface icons for it are already in the game files, presumably they're still working on getting it ready though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 11, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The best part of the game was the Nuclear Waste achievement, which you get by (cameo spoiler) knocking over cardboard cutouts of characters from Nuclear Throne, which incidentally is a much better game.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
So the OST apparently costs about the same as the game itself, I guess it does contain 49 tracks but kind of hard to justify buying it given that all the tracks are in the game files.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Shine posted:

The best part of the game was the Nuclear Waste achievement, which you get by (cameo spoiler) knocking over cardboard cutouts of characters from Nuclear Throne, which incidentally is a much better game.

That's neat, which level is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Just finished the game and Steam says it took me about 6-7 hours. While I'm not sure if it's better or worse than HL1, I really enjoyed it. There were some minor bugs, and some of the levels were tough nuts to crack, but it never took that long to figure out how to deal with them. The only part of the game where I got really frustrated was at the very end, but only because I had to walk and watch the intro again each time I died (kinda like with HL1's final boss).

I especially don't get all the hate for the Hawaii levels. I thought only the last one was tougher than average, but it never made me angry or frustrated. Mostly I just felt like a total badass while knifing and sniping dudes.

Great soundtrack as excepted, and I enjoyed the plot and characters, although I'm not even trying to understand all of it. Good game, would buy again.

I like the Hawaii level designs and the soldier is cool to play as, but the way that ammo is handled really stinks. I wish they had instead upped the enemy count on those levels and gave you infinite reloads.

• Locked thread