Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Fiend Computer posted:

Oh crap I assumed it was a global effect. Never mind then, I don't actually like him that much. He's still good as a hasty 5/4 though.

Generally, unless you're playing 2 cards a turn (Token deck or double bears?), giving one creature haste is basically the same as giving every creature haste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, it is, I dunno what I'm complaining about. Surrak is pretty alright. He will probably see more play than his other version at least.

So we can now confirm that Taigam will probably be three mana, seeing how the other Kahns costs are 1, 2, 4 and 5 so far, right?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Fiend Computer posted:

So we can now confirm that Taigam will probably be three mana, seeing how the other Kahns costs are 1, 2, 4 and 5 so far, right?

But Narset is already there!

Watch that Taigam art be used for a spell that nobody will use. Taigam's Plotting.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Hello, old friend. It's good to see you again.

The last time I saw Duress was 7th Edition and I didn't realize how often they reprinted it during my break from MTG after 8th Edition up till JOU. But I have a lot of nostalgia for when Urza's Saga was new.

I try not to think about 7th Edition.

Duress is a perfect Magic card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Late comment on this, but that is an aggressive MTG card.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Surrak sucks.

Would Trample seriously been too much to ask for a Green Fatty?

:negative:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
You would rather have trample than haste?

Given the assumption that having both is out of the question, of course.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

You would rather have trample than haste?

Given the assumption that having both is out of the question, of course.

I would assume he would have Trample, Formidable - Give a Dude Haste if you control Power 8 or more.

I guess that's mythic levels though, so.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wezlar posted:

I can't even tell who is being sarcastic in this thread :psyduck:

Turns out a 5/4 for 2GG with a conditional ability isn't good enough anymore a lot of the time in constructed.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Even if you assume that Ferocious will be very easy to turn on when you factor in his 5 power (which, as others have pointed out, isn't an unreasonable assumption) you're still looking at his entire text box being "Fires of Yavimaya, but not as good." That's boring. Compare Xenagod for an example of how to do it better.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Lately all I want to play is limited (I usually do my lgs FNM which is a booster draft, but I do have a decent U/W Heroic deck for various tourneys they hold). Would it be wise to buy some event tickets on my super old MTGO account to just draft with for practice or is there something better I could be doing?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Look man as a person who likes playing wraths I'm really scared of something like

mystic - courser - surrak take 7 lmao

Cuz that shits gonna happen before I even have my third land in play and isn't a particularly nutty draw or anything.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sirbloody posted:

Lately all I want to play is limited (I usually do my lgs FNM which is a booster draft, but I do have a decent U/W Heroic deck for various tourneys they hold). Would it be wise to buy some event tickets on my super old MTGO account to just draft with for practice or is there something better I could be doing?

You could start a new account and play the "new to Magic Online" phantom drafts.

Zoness posted:

Look man as a person who likes playing wraths I'm really scared of something like

Cuz that shits gonna happen before I even have my third land in play and isn't a particularly nutty draw or anything.

Ultimate Price the Courser, then Downfall the Surrak on your next turn. :getin:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Turns out a 5/4 for 2GG with a conditional ability isn't good enough anymore a lot of the time in constructed.

Agreed.

On an unrelated note, King, the time has come to autoban yourself. :cb:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

Agreed. Conditional Haste is much better than Conditional trample

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Agreed.

rofl did he :toxx: himself?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The best part about Surrak? He triggers formitable automatically with Hero's Blade. :getin:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Ultimate Price the Courser, then Downfall the Surrak on your next turn. :getin:

Wasn't someone saying ultimate price doesn't have a place in a format with rhinos tho? I'm getting mixed signals here!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Agreed. Conditional Haste is much better than Conditional trample

rofl did he :toxx: himself?

Yeah we both did. Functional forums search is so nice. Here is where I toxx myself and King takes it on the next page or so.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah we both did. Functional forums search is so nice. Here is where I toxx myself and King takes it on the next page or so.

Re-read my post a couple of times.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

He's still a couple blocks away from a ban, and there will be fetches in Return to Zendikar. :toxx:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just being a very efficiently costed haster that gives all your other dudes haste isn't enough. It needs more upside. More!!

Incidentally why does the creature power level keep rising??

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
In a way, the planeswalker's guide makes me think of Kamigawa, the revered dragons are back and they rule the show, gently caress non dragons.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I'll never understand the whole Toxx Clause thing. I mean, I'm glad for it, like when Obama got elected the first time and half the libertarians and republicans in D&D committed mass forum seppuku , but I guess I'm just not much of a gambler.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

He's still a couple blocks away from a ban, and there will be fetches in Return to Zendikar. :toxx:

I'm pretty sure my toxx got fulfilled in Khans even

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Just being a very efficiently costed haster that gives all your other dudes haste isn't enough. It needs more upside. More!!

Incidentally why does the creature power level keep rising??

The powercreep is real

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Agreed.

Uh, he's pretty clearly going to win that toxx and you're going to lose.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Haha ok so you didn't take my toxx you made a new one. Fair enough. We both win!

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So mad we're going back to Zendikar and will never get a return to Lorwyn.

It's unreasonable but a return to Lorwyn is all I want.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Uh, he's pretty clearly going to win that toxx and you're going to lose.

I won it like 8 months ago

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Haha ok so you didn't take my toxx you made a new one. Fair enough. We both win!

You said enemy fetches would never end up back in standard and I'll toxx you right now they're in one of the Zendikar sets.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

You each appear to ahve agreed to different things. He said Zendikar fetches and you said fetches in general. I think, unfortunately, the Toxx is probably null and void entirely.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean to be fair new Surrak probably won't see play since a well-costed aggressive card doesn't seem like a natural fit in any of the snowballing nightmares that are Gx standard decks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kurtofan posted:

In a way, the planeswalker's guide makes me think of Kamigawa, the revered dragons are back and they rule the show, gently caress non dragons.

It doesn't seem too awful if you're one of Ojutai's. Be chill, learn stuff, don't talk common in earshot of a dragon.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

You said enemy fetches would never end up back in standard and I'll toxx you right now they're in one of the Zendikar sets.

Follow your own advice and go back and reread what I linked. I said not in that block, then further on clarified exactly which sets I was referring to by code name. Also unlike King I didn't go back and edit my post later to cover up losing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Follow your own advice and go back and reread what I linked. I said not in that block, then further on clarified exactly which sets I was referring to by code name. Also unlike King I didn't go back and edit my post later to cover up losing.

I never said reread anything and you know exactly what you meant but if you want to weasel out of it go head I guess it's not really a big deal.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I just looked at it and the last time he edited it wast he day he made the post. :shrug:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kyrosiris posted:

It doesn't seem too awful if you're one of Ojutai's. Be chill, learn stuff, don't talk common in earshot of a dragon.

It's a massive step down from the Jeskai though.

It's Jeskai plus segregation. Dragons are dicks

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Surrak should have had flying and tapped for any color of mana

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So your Toxx has two clauses. One is fetches won't be in m15 or the next block. Then you say Zendikar fetches won't appear in standard. If you view them seperately, you should Toxx for the first part, they were in the set after m15, and the 2nd part you are almost certainly going to be wrong come Battle for Zendikar.

King said the next 3-4 blocks, so the odds he gets toxxed would be khans block, origins, Battle for Zendikar, and one after that, two if you don't count Origins as a block.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

He last edited his post 4 minutes after he posted it back in March of 2014? He obviously didn't go back and edit it after fetches were announced in Khans or Battle for Zendikar was announced etc. Your getting pretty salty guy.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 11, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I editted my post 4 minutes after I made it to join in on your stupid Toxx game in the first place

Go check the timestamp and do the math.

And at this point I can say I really, really wish Wizards just bit the bullet and brought in Dragon Tribal for this one set (seeding it in the previous one with Ugin) because like half these conditional cards would actually be really playable then.

I hope we see an upswing in power level in the next set. Was Return to Zendikar in development when Theros released? I feel like whichever block is responding to Theros/DGM is the most likely to bring back some stronger cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah because when I think haste creates, I think of creatures who don't have haste when they come off the top. Yeah. That's the stuff.

• Locked thread