Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

bobkatt013 posted:

X-files might be off Netflix on April 1st.

Update: Apparently Netflix will keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Maybe it's an automated thing and they're switching to a version with the taglines intact

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've never watched the X Files before, and the rumor of Netflix taking it off made me want to check it out. I'm half way through season 3 now and really enjoying this show.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
From the acclaimed Small Potatoes episode "[Not] unless there is trailer parks in space" had me smirking more that it should have :tihi:

e: that was a bit premature praise. The episode took it off the hook as it went along.

Daktari fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 10, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am into season 5 now. Mulder and Scully have become very precious to me and I can't stop watching this show. On episode 2 and Dana's brother is a huge butt to Mulder and I can't let that stand.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I believe at some point they pull a Chuck Cunningham/middle daughter from Family Matters on him and say it was always just Scully and her sister.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Jack Gladney posted:

I believe at some point they pull a Chuck Cunningham/middle daughter from Family Matters on him and say it was always just Scully and her sister.

Nah, that's her other brother, the one that's never shown.

The rear end in a top hat always exists.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus that Brady Bunch poo poo was trite. Hmm, you killed 2 mother fuckers. Ah what the hell, not your fault, lets smile at you!!

Ughh, cant wait to finish this season.

Still, X-files owns so hard and is basically perfect up until Doggett (Robert Patrick is still cool but that was some poo poo tier writing for the most part). Release was probably my favorite episode this season.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

X-Files had some good guest appearances. Luke Wilson is in the episode Bad Blood, watching that right now.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Jesus that Brady Bunch poo poo was trite. Hmm, you killed 2 mother fuckers. Ah what the hell, not your fault, lets smile at you!!

Ughh, cant wait to finish this season.

Still, X-files owns so hard and is basically perfect up until Doggett (Robert Patrick is still cool but that was some poo poo tier writing for the most part). Release was probably my favorite episode this season.

Hey, I liked the Brady Bunch episode, but maybe that's because it had Linus from Lost in it.

Fun fact, Michael Emerson is now 60 years old. Where did time go?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Octy posted:

Fun fact, Michael Emerson is now 60 years old. Where did time go?

Perhaps, if you've been on the island for too long, you age more rapidly when you leave?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wish Millenium and The Lone Gunmen were on Netflix. :smith:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

Torrents?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Season 3 of Millennium - still awful after the awesome second.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I am into season 5 now. Mulder and Scully have become very precious to me and I can't stop watching this show. On episode 2 and Dana's brother is a huge butt to Mulder and I can't let that stand.

You begin to understand him a little bit at least as time goes on and you learn more about Scully and her family dynamic. They're a very religious family after all, and here Scully is potentially ruining her career chasing stuff that doesn't(in her brothers worldview) exist. Then she ends up in the hospital with terminal cancer and Mulder won't let up about aliens and implants and all kinds of bullshit that has nothing to do with the fact that his sister is loving dying.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

You begin to understand him a little bit at least as time goes on and you learn more about Scully and her family dynamic. They're a very religious family after all, and here Scully is potentially ruining her career chasing stuff that doesn't(in her brothers worldview) exist. Then she ends up in the hospital with terminal cancer and Mulder won't let up about aliens and implants and all kinds of bullshit that has nothing to do with the fact that his sister is loving dying.

Most of them also view her throwing away her career by staying with Mulder, and due to it their sister was murdered, she disappeared for a bit, and then got cancer

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well that was a poo poo series finale. But hey, it was good to see Mulder again.

Now for the next movie... which I hear was not good at all.

Should we really be excited for a new season? I was at first but not so much based on the past 2 seasons.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
A new season of X-files?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kurtofan posted:

A new season of X-files?

Fox, Carter, Duchovny and Anderson are discussing bringing the show back for a limited "event" run, not unlike 24: Live Another Day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Should we really be excited for a new season? I was at first but not so much based on the past 2 seasons.

Well when the show ended it really felt like everyone involved was ready for it to end and had been for some time. They(mainly Duchovney and Carter) were trying to ride off into the sunset for like 2 or 3 seasons but the network just kept throwing obscene amounts of money at them.

Now though, so much time has gone by and they all seem genuinely excited to do another season. I think it probably has a lot to do with he popularity of limited run series like True Detective and Fargo, so that now its feasible to give the fans one(who knows, maybe two) season and just walk away. If their heart is in it I see no reason why a new season couldn't be great.

Edit: yea 24 is another limited run success that is the model for this sort of thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Basebf555 posted:

Now though, so much time has gone by and they all seem genuinely excited to do another season. I think it probably has a lot to do with he popularity of limited run series like True Detective and Fargo, so that now its feasible to give the fans one(who knows, maybe two) season and just walk away. If their heart is in it I see no reason why a new season couldn't be great.

When you put it that way, an X-Files anthology series where one case unfolds over a short season would be amazing.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
My question is: should a new season of the show try to "fix" the mythology arc and give it a better resolution, addressing the common complaint that the myth arc is unsatisfying because it doesn't really go anywhere? Or should it just kind of ignore series continuity to a degree and do its own thing? (Or should it just be a bunch of monster episodes, because gently caress it)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Old modern day Mulder would be fascinating as gently caress

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slate Action posted:

My question is: should a new season of the show try to "fix" the mythology arc and give it a better resolution, addressing the common complaint that the myth arc is unsatisfying because it doesn't really go anywhere? Or should it just kind of ignore series continuity to a degree and do its own thing? (Or should it just be a bunch of monster episodes, because gently caress it)

Assuming they have at least 10-12 episodes to work with, which is no guarantee, I think they could at least touch on the mythology without it being the main focus. There could be two main arcs to the season, one that's the typical weird/wacky MoTW storyline, and the other would be slower building and climax with some sort of real development in the alien invasion storyline.

You can't just totally ignore the mythology because by the timeline stated in the show the invasion should have already happened. So there has to at least be a throwaway explanation for why it didn't.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slate Action posted:

My question is: should a new season of the show try to "fix" the mythology arc and give it a better resolution, addressing the common complaint that the myth arc is unsatisfying because it doesn't really go anywhere?

The myth arc is fine until all the Super Soldier bullshit starts and then it's just mind-boggling and inane.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Timby posted:

The myth arc is fine until all the Super Soldier bullshit starts and then it's just mind-boggling and inane.

It really should have ended in season 6 when the rebel aliens killed off the syndicate. It should have just gone with them facing CSM and his desire to gain power and get it back on track.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

It really should have ended in season 6 when the rebel aliens killed off the syndicate. It should have just gone with them facing CSM and his desire to gain power and get it back on track.

I feel like there was still an opportunity there with Krycek starting up his own little mini-Syndicate with the Lori Holden character. They were working with/for Smoking Man and the myth-arc could have just continued from there. So I think the real point of no return was when Krycek pushed CSM down the stairs, then at the end of that season Krycek himself is killed. After that the myth-arc had nowhere to go and was just flailing around until the finale.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What I've read is that what was meant to happen in season seven was CSM establishing a new Syndicate with Marita Covarubius and Alex Krycek, but it never really came to anything. I'm not sure, though, if the episode where Krycek shoves wheelchair-bound CSM down some stairs and (seemingly) kills him was meant to be the start of it only for it never to take off, or if that was meant to be the climax of events that had been set up beforehand. I can't remember.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like there was still an opportunity there with Krycek starting up his own little mini-Syndicate with the Lori Holden character. They were working with/for Smoking Man and the myth-arc could have just continued from there. So I think the real point of no return was when Krycek pushed CSM down the stairs, then at the end of that season Krycek himself is killed. After that the myth-arc had nowhere to go and was just flailing around until the finale.

I think you mean with the Mimi Rogers character. The Lori Holden at that point was experimented on and was with Spender, and seemed to be on Mulder's side.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 11, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

I think you mean with the Mimi Rogers character. The Lori Holden at that point was experimented on and was with Gibson, and seemed to be on Mulder's side.

The Mimi Rogers character was in on it too, but Lori Holden was saved by CSM weasel-like instincts when the rest of the Syndicate was killed. I'm pretty sure she's working with CSM and is the one who brings Krycek into the fold on his orders. I think its after CSM gets pushed down the stairs that she starts working with Mulder.

Edit: Actually I just looked her up on Wikipedia and it says after Krycek pushed CSM down the stairs Holden doesn't appear again until the finale.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 11, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

The Mimi Rogers character was in on it too, but Lori Holden was saved by CSM weasel-like instincts when the rest of the Syndicate was killed. I'm pretty sure she's working with CSM and is the one who brings Krycek into the fold on his orders. I think its after CSM gets pushed down the stairs that she starts working with Mulder.

It was the episode that she returns she and Krycek toss CSM down the stairs.

I think this conversation itself shows how big of a clusterfuck the mytharc was by the end. The only thing we knew was CSM was bad and Krycek was going to betray someone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

All I know is that the show never had nearly enough John Neville.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any particular reason why they replaced Krycek with Adam Baldwin's character? Did Nicholas Lea just want out or did they decide to write him out?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is there any particular reason why they replaced Krycek with Adam Baldwin's character? Did Nicholas Lea just want out or did they decide to write him out?

I think its because season 8 was basically written as the final season, then at the last minute they agreed to do one more. So the death of Krycek was intended to be part of a satisfying series finale.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I think its because season 8 was basically written as the final season, then at the last minute they agreed to do one more. So the death of Krycek was intended to be part of a satisfying series finale.

Well Adam Baldwin was introduced in a couple of season 8 episodes. I think it was also the episode Krycek died in was Mulder's last and he was so tied in with him. They seemed to want to make Adam Baldwin into Doggett's Krycek.

I also agree that the show needed more Well-Manicured Man

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Whatever happened to that fat guy with the Edward-James-Olmos-with-asthma-who-just-walked-up-a-hill voice?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Whatever happened to that fat guy with the Edward-James-Olmos-with-asthma-who-just-walked-up-a-hill voice?

I assume the faceless aliens got him

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Every member of the Syndicate except the Smoking Man was killed halfway through season 6.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Every member of the Syndicate except the Smoking Man was killed halfway through season 6.

Yea they were all told that the time for the invasion was here and to bring their families so that they could be led to some sort of safe VIP area. It turned out they had been fooled into showing up there by the rebels and they were all killed en masse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yea they were all told that the time for the invasion was here and to bring their families so that they could be led to some sort of safe VIP area. It turned out they had been fooled into showing up there by the rebels and they were all killed en masse.

Yeah they had created the alien/human hybrid and were told to bring it to the hanger where they gave up their families. However, they were betrayed as a faceless alien had infiltrated them and they were all killed. CSM and Mimi Rogers got there and realized something was wrong so they got the gently caress out.

• Locked thread