Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kurtofan posted:

It's a massive step down from the Jeskai though.

It's Jeskai plus segregation. Dragons are dicks

Yeah, true, just saying that like, you could be in Silumgar's territory. :v: Dragons are dicks, but Ojutai's of a dick than the rest (that we know of).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Mono green, devotion to hitting your opponent in the face with 4 and 5 power creatures? I feel like there is a turn 4 win in here somewhere...
the mystic>courser/some kind of power 2/3 drop >surrak is 7 damage on 3, with an on board7-8 for next turn. You can run 4-of's in a deck and pull that off about once a match

Next creature has to have 6 power for 5 mana or 5 power for 4 mana, or there needs to be a green pump spell worth casting...

Granted that assumes no blocking, but even without the turn four kill, a 2/4 and a 5/4 is a very good board that isn't answered by many cards in standard atm, especially on turn 3

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Shut up about your dumb Toxxes.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, true, just saying that like, you could be in Silumgar's territory. :v: Dragons are dicks, but Ojutai's of a dick than the rest (that we know of).

I would bet that Dromoka isn't that bad to work with either. Green/White tends to be fairly communal with little nitpicking over hierarchy, you respect order, but everyones in it together. It'd probably be somewhat repressive, but again, better than the other options.

I'm not sure how the humans have it under Atarka, but it probably sucks, then again, Natural+Freedom, may just mean for the humans, "stay the gently caress out of our way when were hungry, and do what the hell you want. we're to busy belching fire to try and rule you squishy meat sacks"

Kolaghan and Silumgar would be the absolute worst though.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I hope we see an upswing in power level in the next set. Was Return to Zendikar in development when Theros released? I feel like whichever block is responding to Theros/DGM is the most likely to bring back some stronger cards.

You want an upswing!? Holy crap, dude, power level is supposed to be like a pendulum, not a rocket launcher.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Madmarker posted:

I would bet that Dromoka isn't that bad to work with either. Green/White tends to be fairly communal with little nitpicking over hierarchy, you respect order, but everyones in it together. It'd probably be somewhat repressive, but again, better than the other options.

I'm not sure how the humans have it under Atarka, but it probably sucks. Kolaghan and Silumgar would be the absolute worst though.

The quality of life for random member of the brood from best to worst is probably:
Ojutai > Dromoka > Kolaghan > Atarka > Silumgar

Ojutai respects wisdom and is not openly cruel to anyone who respects dragons.
Dromoka goes out of her way to protect her brood as long as you stay away from any form of Necromancy.
Kolaghan respects speed and power and could care less about your species or upbringing.
Atarka doesn't give a poo poo about anyone and will obviously eat whoever the gently caress she feels like at the time even if she isn't hungry.
Silumgar is a sadistic fucker.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

You want an upswing!? Holy crap, dude, power level is supposed to be like a pendulum, not a rocket launcher.

Well, right now we're really far at the "everything is overcosted" end of the pendulum so I'd like it moved back to the other side please

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, right now we're really far at the "everything is overcosted" end of the pendulum so I'd like it moved back to the other side please

The power level in KTK-FRF was fine. DTK seems a little weaker, but not as bad as Theros block, DGM or Gatecrash. There's a lot of stuff here that's suuuuuper close to (or actually) playable in Standard, like the Piker Megamorph cycle, Sidisi, Ojutai, the hoser cycle, Roast, Thunderbreak etc.

A set based on expensive dudes is full of expensive dudes, shock. I think this is a half-step down from KTK/FRF in power level but to say it's at the same level as the past few sets is just wrong.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
According to that Planeswalker guide posted earlier, Silumgar isn't that bad. Everyone gets knowledge and positions of power! If you're not a zombie or pissing someone off accidentally. Just don't let Silumgar get bored or say stuff that might make him annoyed/paranoid/notice you.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hm, yes, Siege Rhino and Tasigur both strike me as grossly overcosted cards.

I mean, if you're talking about spells, I guess the removal could stand to be cheaper--but we're getting Roast and Ultimate Price, and they've said that they're trying non-4-mana wraths for a while. We've got Thoughtseize in standard, too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Hm, yes, Siege Rhino and Tasigur both strike me as grossly overcosted cards.

Both of those cards are powerful, but it's been demonstrated multiple times Wizards had no idea how they wanted to cost Delve, and I'm grateful for that.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 11, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Both of those cards are powerfu,l but it's been demonstrated multiple times Wizards had no idea how they wanted to cost Delve, and I'm grateful for that.

Okay, how does that make the rest of standard overcosted? The power level right now is fine. It's not boring poo poo like Theros and it's not gross brokenness. You're acting like it's as underpowered as it gets right now when it feels pretty balanced. What kind of deck do you want to play that doesn't have cards to support it?

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

Gensuki posted:

Mono green, devotion to hitting your opponent in the face with 4 and 5 power creatures? I feel like there is a turn 4 win in here somewhere...
the mystic>courser/some kind of power 2/3 drop >surrak is 7 damage on 3, with an on board7-8 for next turn. You can run 4-of's in a deck and pull that off about once a match

Next creature has to have 6 power for 5 mana or 5 power for 4 mana, or there needs to be a green pump spell worth casting...

Granted that assumes no blocking, but even without the turn four kill, a 2/4 and a 5/4 is a very good board that isn't answered by many cards in standard atm, especially on turn 3

I think it would work with the new GG 3/2, Avatar of the Resolute (in magical Christmas land).

T1: Forest, Mystic. 20
T2: swing for 1, Forest, Avatar. 19
T3: Forest, Surrak, swing 8. 11
T4: Polukranos, swing 14. -3

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Silumgar is goony as heck, also I like how the artist took the suggestion of "maybe include some of the stuff on the Tasigur card" a little too literally

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Okay, how does that make the rest of standard overcosted? The power level right now is fine. It's not boring poo poo like Theros and it's not gross brokenness. You're acting like it's as underpowered as it gets right now when it feels pretty balanced. What kind of deck do you want to play that doesn't have cards to support it?

He may be talking about the noncreature stuff, because creatures are pretty drat efficient nowadays. And I would agree with that, I want Mana Leak and Day of Judgement/Supreme Verdict/Wrath of God/Damnation back.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Toshimo posted:

It is you who is the wrongest.

I forgot about Fish Brick. I can't believe I forgot about Fish Brick. Sorry Fish Brick.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mr. mephistopheles posted:

He wants to be playing Legacy in Modern so my money is on wanting the same for Standard.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

He wants to be playing Legacy in Modern so my money is on wanting the same for Standard.

I mean, I want to be playing legacy instead of Modern. But honestly, the only change I'd make to modern as it is would be to somehow forcibly inject Wasteland into the format.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
is birds of paradise overcosted?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gyshall posted:

It would be if it didn't fly.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
^^^^ :argh:

Gyshall posted:

It's way undercosted, green needs to pay a substantial tax to get fliers.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

^^^^ :argh:

It's way undercosted, green needs to pay a substantial tax to get fliers.

For some reason.

Despite the color of green being in tune with nature. You know, where flight is most, you know, natural.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Green is the color of nature except when nature can fly, which thankfully is extremely rare in nature as we all know.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

For some reason.

Despite the color of green being in tune with nature. You know, where flight is most, you know, natural.

What color should be worst at flying?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Madmarker posted:

I mean, I want to be playing legacy instead of Modern. But honestly, the only change I'd make to modern as it is would be to somehow forcibly inject Wasteland into the format.

Getting back in, I actually like that they're two different formats. Having different decks be viable in each is really important to making the formats appealing, otherwise you just get Legacy and lovely Legacy.

I agree that they need some a good land that punishes greedy manabases that isn't tec edge or ghost quarter, though. Right now the mana is greedier in Modern than it is in Legacy it seems.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

JerryLee posted:

Green is the color of nature except when nature can fly, which thankfully is extremely rare in nature as we all know.
The color pie is the color of bullshiting out explanation, which somehow ended up mostly blue even though that occurs in nature.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Maybe the one that specializes in rotting corpses?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Well, this makes sense. You prefer Legacy so you'd like to add the one card to Modern that would kill the format so that Legacy remains the only option.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

He wants to be playing Legacy in Modern

You say that like it's a bad thing

And I actually like Standard right now, and even moreso when Shampulse rotates in from DTK. It's Modern that needs a good injection of cards into it to shake things up.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

You prefer Legacy so you'd like to add the one card to Modern that would kill the format

[citation needed]

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

Not the color specializing in Angels
Not the color specializing in Demons
Not the color specializing in Dragons
Not the color specializing in Jungle/Beasts
Not the color specializing in...uhhh...ocean life? *ding*ding*ding*

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

somewhere a pelican cries out in anguish

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

Not the color specializing in Angels
Not the color specializing in Demons
Not the color specializing in Dragons
Not the color specializing in Jungle/Beasts

No man, blue is a magical color, why would a color of magic be forbidden to have good things?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to vomit my brains out because they printed hornets in the color of insects.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm pretty sure it's because the sky is blue.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Count Bleck posted:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to vomit my brains out because they printed hornets in the color of insects.

No, but man, they're deadly flying hornets. That's a bug too far.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

somewhere a pelican cries out in anguish

If I were to completely redesign the creature color pie, Pelicans and Seagulls and poo poo would be the basic U/G flier.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
If only we had that sixth color...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why they decided to slow roll this cycle, who knows

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I think it's because spiders are green, and spiders have reach.

If green got flyers at a sensible price regularly, then spiders would look like lovely versions of green birds.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Seriously? Nature represents its flavor space, not its mechanical space. Mechanically Green isn't supposed to get fliers, except in service to a larger block or cycle. Maintaining distinctions like this, Green gets land ramp and doesn't get fliers, red gets burn but doesn't get enchantment removal, blue gets counterspells but has a hard time permanently removing resolved threats (ie no destroy or exile that doesn't somehow replace the destroyed/exiled thing)

Keeping the mechanical distinctions is important, even though flavor wants to slowly bleed mechanics together.

Hell, flavor can be used to justify anything. Well, since blue has the flavor of reality warping, why doesn't blue have land ramp to show it warping the terrain. Since Red has the flavor of freedom, and doing what it wants right now, why can't it counter spells to stop things right now. Since black is so obsessed with power and dominion, why doesn't it get rule setting enchantments like Rule of Law. And if white is the color of order and discipline, why can't it resolutely study its opposition to gain insight into their plans, giving them card draw.

Yes some of these analogies are tortured, yet some of these effects have been done in the past, specifically with Dreamscape Artist and Red Elemental Blast. However these were either made in sets before the color pie was codified or was being deliberately warped.

Take a look at old magic, though there are tons of good cards, but colors had very little individual mechanical identity outside of their respective hatred for their enemy colors and certain creature types. In other sets where they warped the color pie, it ushered in some of the steepest decline in sales that magic has ever seen.

By keeping the mechanics separate, they encourage diversity in play by requiring a certain level of investment to get certain effects in your deck. By keeping the mechanics within their associated slice of the color pie, it gives people a certain amount of ability to predict what effects their opponent may have, and what effects will be printed in a set. Having your expectations met is a reward trigger that encourages people to continue to purchase more packs/look more deeply into the game.

If magic had been done another way, and the mechanics had been distributed throughout the pie differently, perhaps green would be the flier color but, as it stands, mechanically, green doesn't need flying. Since green can make its creatures big and have trample they can get past most defenses in their own unique way, flying doesn't add anything to green that it can't do by other means.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Why they decided to slow roll this cycle, who knows

well this one is better than the others, but is still completely unplayable poo poo even in limited

TheKingofSprings posted:

[citation needed]

hm yes what modern really needs is something to further punish painful manabases so the underrepresented decks like burn and twin will have a chance to shine

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 11, 2015

• Locked thread